END

All the More to Love

To most cats, appearance is everything. Fastidious cleanliness, many hours and more paychecks spent on personal maintenance. Built in breaks regardless of profession or position for necessary naps and the time to check fur, teeth, outfits, nails…

It’s all an integral part of life. A compulsory part of life. Right after waking up first thing in the morning is the most important time, and Jimin always takes great care to not wake up with Seokjin so he can hide his puffy eyes and faces and messy hair with pillows.

He can also hide the struggle of getting dressed, which is a more and more frequent issue.

Jimin huffs in annoyance and drops onto the bed. He managed to pull a sweater on just fine, but these gosh darn jeans are just not cooperating. Kicking his legs in the air, he lifts his hips and finally drags his pants over his legs and . They’re even tighter than he remembers. It’s getting ridiculous.

Finally snapping the button and pulling up the fly, Jimin lets his arms fall to his sides and catches his breath. He’s as active as ever, but he still gains weight.

And he knows why.

Smoothing his tail and ears, he ambles out of the bedroom to the kitchen.

Seokjin, tall and broad with a forever ticking tail, is poring over a recipe printout. His ears twitch towards the door, followed by his eyes, and he smiles.

“Good morning, Jimin!”

“Morning.”

Seokjin’s ears fall a little at the cool response. “Are you alright?” He immediately turns on his stool to stand up. “You need to eat something! There are still some pastries—”

Jimin swipes a fish-shaped bread. “I have been eating!” He shakes the fish at Seokjin. “These are what’s wrong!” He rips off a piece and stuffs it in his mouth, chewing angrily. His ears sit crossly against his hair.

“I-If they’re that bad, you don’t have to eat them...” Cooking and baking is Seokjin’s pride and joy. He never hears a complaint, but maybe he’s just been blissfully unaware, and his friends have just been nice.

They’re delicious, and that’s the problem!” Whirling around, Jimin pulls a stool from the kitchen island and sits on it. His tail whips behind him, shaking with the savory taste of the pastry. “It took me so long to even get dressed this morning,” he mumbles, “because I’m too fluffy and enormous.”

Seokjin frowns. He understands the pressure to look a certain way. It’s how society is, although their home really does not cater to anyone greater than the average size, which has made it difficult for him to even find pants an appropriate length, being so tall, but there is nothing remotely enormous about Jimin.

He’s well-built with muscles earned from a lifetime of dance. Seokjin’s tried to stress that muscle weighs more than fat, so if he’s gained weight, it is probably from working out, and he reiterates that but is cut off by a sharp, pouty glare.

I had to lie down to put my pants on.” He scowls at the wall, adding, “I never had to do that before...” Once upon a time, he could simply step into them, pull them up with a hop, and that was it. Easy on, easy off. Even Seokjin could just yank them down without much effort.

And Seokjin’s pretty lazy, so he appreciated that.

“Bodies change over time. It’s just what they do.” Turning his recipe face down, he adds, “If you want, I can cook up some food more suited for a diet—”

“No!” Jimin’s fur bristles at the D-word. “I’ll just be more careful.” He loves food; he loves eating Seokjin’s cooking just as much as Seokjin enjoys making him food. It’s how they got together in the first place; among their friends, Jimin responded the most to the meals Seokjin made. He liked gaining Jimin’s praise, and Jimin loved doling it out, especially if it means getting some kind of treat—whether food or, now, kisses.

As a calico, Jimin fits with the typical sweet, endearing personality. He’s warm-hearted, very affectionate, intelligent, great with children…

...Incredibly sassy, when the mood strikes… Like now, as he pushes coasters and a package of napkins off the counter, just watching them fall to the floor.

He’s probably the sweetest person Seokjin’s ever known, and it hurts him when he’s reminded of just how insecure he is. With ability and talent in spades, Jimin apologizes when he makes a mistake or promises to work harder when it could actually hurt him. It’s not an easy topic to approach, so Seokjin takes the roundabout way and praises Jimin openly with every achievement and finds ways to distract him from otherwise self-sabotaging thoughts and behaviors.

One such distraction is food. Seokjin uses his boyfriend to taste his cooking, shares recipes he’s interested in, takes him along on grocery shopping trips, or suggests new cafes and restaurants to try.

With that in mind, maybe Jimin actually has gained a little non-muscle weight. Seokjin sees nothing wrong with that. They’re meant to be somewhat soft and fluffy.

But while everyone loves fluffy cats—even Jimin loves fluffy cats—being a fluffy cat is totally different.

Seokjin wraps his arms around Jimin and gently nuzzles the top of his head with his cheek until he feels the calico purr. “I’m sorry, Jimin. I don’t...I don’t know what to do.”

“I’ll just be more careful.”

“You can go back to sleep, if you want. You don’t work today.”

“But I told Jungkookie I’d run with him this morning.” Jungkook is just as hard on himself as Jimin is, although he has the innate confidence and youthful vanity to back up the boundless motivation.

Ducking to kiss Jimin’s cheek, Seokjin whispers, “Don’t overdo it, alright?”

“I won’t, hyung.”

Words difficult to swallow, when Seokjin knows just how far Jimin will push himself, especially with Jungkook’s teasing and egging him on.

Once Jimin has his gym bag and kisses Seokjin goodbye, Seokjin unplugs his phone from its charger and calls his emotional confidante. For whatever reason, Namjoon is a wise and thoughtful person when it comes to everyone but himself. He’s his own worst enemy.Sometimes, it’s a miracle he’s lived as long as he has, but tabby roommate keeps a watchful eye on him.

Seokjin’s just lost on how to handle Jimin’s hissy fit and could use a little guidance.

Setting the phone on speaker as it rings, he meanders from the kitchen to the bedroom and stares at the stuffed closet. They shop more than they should, maybe, but Jimin’s problem could be he’s just buying the wrong size. Finding a familiar size rather than trying stuff on and going based off that, but they have shopped together. Seokjin knows Jimin spends a lot of time in dressing rooms.

The call connects, and Seokjin is greeted with a croak.

“Do you have any idea what time it is, hyung?”

It’s not Namjoon.

“Hoseok? This isn’t your phone.”

“...It’s not?” His voice becomes distant. “Oh, yeah… Namjoon hyung. It’s for you.” There’s mumbling, rustling sheets and a squeak of creaky bedspring, then Namjoon’s voice.

“Hello.”

“Did something happen? Hoseok sounds awful.”

“He’s just tired. Did you need something?” Seokjin sighs, and Namjoon hums understandingly. “Jimin.”

“He threw a hissy fit, because he struggled to get pants on this morning! He thinks he’s gotten fat.”

“Not Jiminie,” Hoseok says. He’s probably leaning over Namjoon to eavesdrop.

“That’s how I feel, but he just won’t listen! And he doesn’t want to change his habits; he doesn’t want to diet. He just wants to complain! He’s just got such bad tortitude today...”

“Hyung, body dysphoria is a complex condition with deep-seated personal and societal aspects. No matter what anyone says to support him, Jimin’s mindset is we’re lying and just being nice. It’s more natural to accept critique when we feel we deserve it.”

“But he doesn’t!” Seokjin shakes out a blanket and folds it neatly over the foot of the bed. There’s a static under his skin, driving him to keep moving and do something. Even his tail is whipping more than its usual easy sway.

“We know that, but he…” Namjoon sighs. “It’s complicated. There is no easy answer, and I’m sorry, but if you could point out his self-sabotaging behavior, he may start adopting that habit and catch himself and be more actively aware? So, like, he can knowingly stop himself and acknowledge the negative thoughts.”

“Also try and find out how old the pants are.” Hoseok’s voice gets clearer; he’s draping himself over Namjoon, most likely. “He’s had some of the same hoodies from his junior high and high school dance groups, so he may not be too big for his pants, but his pants may be too old for him.”

Jimin does have a lot of clothes Seokjin doesn’t recognize. He enjoys shopping but doesn’t enjoy getting rid of old things, even if they don’t fit. Seokjin picks up a couple shirts with the sleeves cut off, because they couldn’t stretch over Jimin’s biceps anymore or were too short.

“You’ll figure it out, hyung,” Namjoon encourages. “Just watch out for him, keep supporting him…”

“Love him lots,” Hoseok adds. “Jiminie deserves all the love and kisses, and he’s too fast to let me shower him with them.”

“I’m sorry we can’t help more…”

“You’ve helped just by listening to me. Jimin’s out with Jungkook today, but we’ll talk when he gets back. It’ll be alright.” It’ll take more than a pair of tight pants to ruin them.

They chat for a while longer before saying goodbye. Seokjin tosses his phone onto the bed, straightens the blanket, and runs his fingers over his tail. That static feeling is still there. It lifts the hair on his arms and dries his mouth.

There’s not much to clean in their apartment; Seokjin finally has Jimin trained to pick up after himself nine times out of ten. He still vacuums the floor to clear the newest tumbleweeds of multicolored hair and cleans the air vents and washes windows and puts the things Jimin had knocked over away.

It’s dumb to clean or sort what’s already cleaned or sorted, so he returns to his natural domain—

The kitchen.

His printout of a new recipe beckons him, but it’s the sort of dish that sits and cooks. So he finds a favorite recipe for sweet rice. As that cooks in a pressure cooker, he panfries rice cake dumplings and uses up the last of the red bean paste. Obviously, he’s not making the fish bread Jimin likes so much. He hasn’t made tea cookies in a while, though; it’s a decent fall day for baking. Or, he could make sweet pancakes. He’ll need to go shopping soon; the rice flour is just about gone.

Time passes, and Seokjin relaxes with the familiarity of mixing ingredients, finding a pattern as he passes between the island and main counter, oven to cooktop, refrigerator to pantry.

He nearly drops the chopstick he’s playing with when Jimin drapes himself over his shoulders. He hadn’t heard movement at all. Their front door even beeps when opened.

Surreptitiously smoothing the fur over his tail, Seokjin nudges Jimin’s head with his own. “You alright? Have fun?”

“Tired,” Jimin whines. He nuzzles his face into Seokin’s neck, kisses his nape, and nuzzles him again. “I chased that brat most of the time.”

Jungkook is an extremely energetic cat with way too much kitten energy and not enough cat naps.

“Well, you have been out for…three hours? Jimin, have you been working out this whole time?” The cookies are completely cooled and in a container that he pops open to show off.

“Not the whole time.” Jimin lifts his head and arches his back to hang from Seokjing’s shoulders. “You know how Jungkook is—He needs the energy run out of him, or he’s clawing the walls and furniture to pieces.” His tail curls at the sight of fresh cookies. “Don’t worry; we took a nap in the park.”

“Like a couple strays. Did you at least eat something?” He cuts off Jimin’s immediate response with more specific phrasing. “Something like an actual meal?”

“We picked up snacks at a convenience store…”

“Snacks aren’t a meal! I’ll make you something—”

“It’s fine, hyung!”

“Skipping meals is not being careful, Jimin; it’s being stupid!” Seokjin doesn’t mean to raise his voice and hiss. He knows it gets them nowhere and is as good as fur the wrong way. He’s not even mad; he’s frustrated.

But Jimin’s frustration quickly turns to anger, and rather than lashing out he turns on his heel and stalks to their room. Something soft hits the door after it’s shut.

Way to support your boyfriend and show affection, you dumb tom.

He wants to apologize, but he decides to give Jimin time and space.

The calico’s already crawled into bed, watching the door to be ready to roll away when Seokjin comes in. When he doesn’t, he burrows into their pillows and repeats all the stupid things he’s done today in his head.

He falls into a fitful sleep and wakes up feeling like he’s aged when Seokjin gently shakes him awake.

They don’t talk during dinner. Seokjin can tell Jimin’s not feeling any better; Jimin can tell Seokjin’s been worrying. His fur is all mussed and out of place.

After a bath, thorough blow dry, and pajamas fresh from the dryer, they go to bed quiet.

Somewhere in the back of his head, Jimin remembers someone saying to never go to bed angry. He isn’t, and Seokjin isn’t either. They’re emotionally drained, and he feels bad for that, because he’s dragging someone he adores down with his poor attitude. The silence between them is throwing him off.

“Hyung…” He wants to apologize, but Seokjin beats him to it.

“It’s okay, Jimin. I’m sorry for yelling.” He scoots closer to bump their foreheads together. “I was frustrated and didn’t express it well, but I worry when you’re unhappy with yourself. I wish you could see yourself how I do.”

Night has a funny way of digging into hearts and dragging out emotions. They’re always there, but they’re never so raw and exposed. A fresh catch.

It’s also healing. Jimin tucks an arm across Seokjin’s chest—pushing and pressing here and there until he deems the spot softened enough—and throws a leg over his thighs.

Jimin’s talked a bit about his ex. They got along well and were a great match physically. The problems that distanced them came from lack of talking about important things like personal feelings and expectations of one another. It wasn’t a bad breakup, but knowing Seokjin, Jimin doesn’t miss the relationship at all.

They both sleep much better together.

And it seems sudden that Seokjin feels something pinning his legs and hears a low rumble that gets louder until it’s directly overhead.

Jimin smiles and kisses Seokjin’s cheek when he starts to stir.

“Jimin…” The clock beside his bed glows a bleary red. “It’s 4:30…” Way too early to acknowledge anything, even a boyfriend, but ignoring him won’t make him go away.

“Should I stop?”

“No. You started something—Commit. I’m awake now. Take responsibility.”

Jimin purrs louder and lays on top of Seokjin. He could kiss him all night. Ideal weekend plans.

Seokjin draws his hands from beneath his pillow to slip them beneath Jimin’s shirt. For all his talk of fat, Seokjin barely presses his fingertips into Jimin’s sides and feels his ribcage. Skirting them down the calico’s sides elicits a giggle and shiver.

“By the way, Jimin. Not to change the subject…” He laughs when Jimin nips his neck, but the high hum lets him know Jimin is listening. “Those pants you wore before, were they new?”

A purr erupts from Jimin’s throat when he opens his mouth to speak. “Not really.” He looks over his shoulder, where the pants still sit against the wall, inside out. “They were my favorite in school.”

School. It’s been years since Jimin was in any school.

“What class?”

“Uh…” That’s all Seokjin needs to know Hoseok’s idea was right—Jimin’s not bigger, at least not how he thinks, but rather he’s aged out of those particular pants. “Let’s get you new pants, okay?”

His hand presses too sharply into Seokjin’s gut, and Seokjin grunts. Jimin shoots up onto his knees, even drawing his tail straight up in the air.

“I’m sorry! Am I too heavy?”

“No—You were about to push a burp outta me.” He tries to draw Jimin down again, but it takes some coaxing before he lays himself more delicately. “You’re fine, Jiminie. I’m okay. It’s not the weight of your body but the weight of your love that matters.” He pushes Jimin’s hair from his face and kisses his temple. “I’ll remind you of that as many times as I have to, until you accept that.

“And your love is crushing me… But if this is how I go, then I’m happy.” He holds Jimin and wiggles to readjust himself to avoid another bony elbow.

Jimin scoffs and folds his hands over Seokjin’s chest. After a minute and no more remarks, he bats at Seokjin’s cheek.

“Seokjin hyung. Hyung.” Sighing, he lays his chin on his hands. “Thank you, Seokjinie hyung.”


a/n: Written for serenemelodies as part of the JinMin Exchange. (prompt Jimin is starting to gain weight after switching owners to Jin and he hates it but Jin loves it) This kinda got heavier than I really intended, and it didn't pick up at all on the image I had of them. Like, cat-eared folks are cute and all, but for some reason I was really thinking about them totally furry. Like furries. Toe beans, whiskers, the works...👌

I had three really great prompts, but when I see hybrid AU, I just zoom in. owo

The prompt was kinda cuter than what I came up with, but I couldn't take a theme like body image and completely make it comedic. Even cats have body issues, and I know I'm guilty of adoring fat cats when they're fatter than they really should be. My own cat is twenty pounds, and while his breed can be big, that big is starting to push it...