Before Dawn (Finale)

Before Dawn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoohyeon was running.

 

Her oversized orange wear was flapping with the wind as she parkoured her way over the buildings and under several obstacles. Sweat trickling down her neck and her mind in shambles, trying to avoid the light that gives the air-thick vision. Puddles being stomped with her heavy steps; the asphalt rooftops being skidded was all she can hear along the heavy breathing of risk. It has been a long time since she had a taste of the oxygen outside. All she can remember way before was the stinking smell of her and her cellmate, who howls like a wolf whenever moonlight hits their open barred window. It's not like she minds. After all, no one had a good shower ever since being thrown in there.

 

Dodging the chimneys and metallic tubes, she can already feel her legs giving out. Too bad for the catchers, the pain was none of her concern. The will of desperation to get out of the helicopter's sight is the only thing that's keeping her going; one of the reasons, actually.

 

Yoohyeon grunted when she slid under another obstacle, her arms scratched with the ground, creating minor wounds. Over, over, under, side and side, it was almost like a pattern. The burning exhaustion that fuels her can be used as engine, however, the human anatomy works wonders and the fire ignited is not an additional boost, but rather a weight.

 

The wind piercing through her ears, and the latter running knew that they are already near the area. A helicopter and other reinforcements are on her tail now. She loathed the fact that they knew where she was heading. It was quite obvious without knowing the specifics. All they needed was someone close to her, and they instantly have their location. As she was immersed with her thoughts, she gave out a cough, a long inhale before taking a long leap from her place to the other side of the building.

 

Either way, she too, was also near.

 

Trains rumbling silently signaled the escapee that she only has a limited time remaining. Yoohyeon wanted to take chances, she doesn't want to think that this could be the only time they will see each other ever again. She would take any opportunity she can get. With that thought, she sprinted down the fire escape of a certain apartment, her worn out shoes hitting the metallic staircases, with her skill, her footsteps were unheard despite the quicken pace. Silent and deadly if that's how you put it.

 

Reaching a window rail of the familiar floor, Yoohyeon was hunched down on the stairs. She took a slight breather before gathering her strength and lifted the shutter. Slipping in quietly, she closed it as her feet have reached the wooden ground.

 

She felt a structure puncturing her back slightly causing her to jump a little. It was a good thing that she kept from screaming in pain, because the next thing she knew, her face met the wall of the cabinet while she tried avoiding the small nightstand that hit her rear. The noise resonated in the room and shivers crawled up Yoohyeon's skin when she heard a shuffle behind her. She shut her eyes for a second, her head imaging sorts of scenarios that will lead to her doom, knowing what her carelessness has caused. Minutes passed, and there was still nothing. She heard another shuffle, but this time it was more silent.

 

Her head craned to the source and she let out a huge sigh of relief when she saw her daughter tossing to the opposite side, facing the wall.

 

Her heart crumbled at the sight of the little girl.

 

Her hand twitched slightly when she felt the letters her daughter wrote for her during her time in prison crumpled tightly around the pocket of her orange get-up. She placed them down on the bed of the little girl and left a ghostly kiss atop of her forehead. She smiled quietly, mumbling a little message before standing up to leave towards her room to get a change of clothes.

 

"My sweet Gahyeon…I've missed you" Was what she uttered in the noiseless solemnity.

 

 

It had been a long time since she had set foot in this forbidden territory. Yoohyeon let her feet guide her around the familiar shelter and stood in front of the door to a room she once slept in. Remembering the bad terms she left, in her mind, she was expecting that all of her things that she own will no longer exist at the other side. Not only because she recalls her loved one nagging at her whenever she leaves her mess (the taller one would always pepper the shorter one with kisses to prevent the scolding) but she also remembers how much of a clean freak the panda-like girl was – still is, maybe – despite the retort that at least Yoohyeon knows where she placed her “heap of disordered monstrosity” as the fairly younger one have commented on before; whereas same person thought otherwise. They would have small banters, but all is well whenever teasing is involved.

 

Yoohyeon smiled at the thought, she really missed her family. Just the thought of getting back together with the way it was, is something she wanted to return to. Being free of burdens and accusations one dares to pin on you; satisfaction and contentment that will fill her heart. If only it was possible to reverse her mistakes, she would wholly do so.

 

A thoughtful sigh escaped the pink-haired girl. Getting framed isn't something that she should be proud of, she admits. Shutting her eyes for a whole second, she cussed out a silent word that expresses her regret going out that unfaithful night. Her actions were deeply turned mistaken, and indeed she doesn't want to admit that her recklessness caused all of it to happen. If only she didn't help that one guy, if only her heart wasn't as kind as a martyr, she wouldn't be an escapee now. She would've been enjoying drinking hot chocolate with her family instead. Or cuddle with her lovable partner she excruciatingly misses. With that sad wish, she proceeded to open the door.

 

When eyes laid on the familiar yet foreign room, Yoohyeon wanted to cry.

 

She was surprised. Her heart almost soared in happiness because after all these years, Yoobin didn't touch nor remove anything from her room. It was still the same, as if she had never left. The tinge of gladness covered the hidden confusion that was lingering in the back of her mind: Why is everything still here?

 

Yoohyeon took a step forward, her hands immediately grabbing for a decent outfit to wear. She tossed the orange outfit in the shredder of some sort (of course she needed to get rid of the evidence) before checking herself out in the huge mirror displayed; she gingerly twirled while doing so. She was wearing her black sweater that goes beyond her hands – covering her calloused prints, her gray sweatpants, her over worn Adidas shoes and finally, to top it all, her beanie. She also grabbed some woolen gloves before uttering to herself that it was cold, and she wishes she can huddle up in the arms of her significant other before realizing that she hasn't seen her yet.

 

Cautiously wandering in the kitchen area, she opened the wooden cabinets that creaked whenever the lids were lifted and scavenged for some food. It's not like she's stealing, in fact she's going to eat here. Like a dine-in of some sort. She was still family, she chanted. Sneaking into the fridge, she spotted some leftover canned tuna and almost wretches in disgust when she noticed an expired pizza just hanging out on the side. Yoohyeon frowned immediately, is Yoobin still taking care of their daughter properly? More importantly, is she taking care of herself?

 

Setting her concerns aside for Gahyeon a short while, she crouched down and started removing the eye-soring food and reeking ones. She deliberately cleaned the refrigerator and finally sat down on the tall stool placed near the counter. Yoohyeon pursed her lips before adding a little chortle, she was supposed to get food, how the hell did she end up cleaning the fridge instead?

 

Observing that it seemed like she can't get any food here, she shuffled quietly inside the bathroom with a growling stomach. She made a hushing noise as if that will decrease the growing hunger.

 

Yoohyeon searched for a certain box. She knew that she needed to keep her identity hidden, even for a short time, and her bright, radiating yet fading pink hair would give away that chance of secrecy. She decided to maybe splash her hair on some new color. The search for some dye took her long enough that she didn't notice a presence behind her. Digging in the cases of cabinets and drawers of the restroom, she finally took out the bottled dye with glee.

 

"Finally!" Yoohyeon fist pumped the air silently, "I thought that it was in box the last time I was here" she mumbled to herself.

 

"I took it out of the box since it takes up space when I was rearranging" A low voice replied. Her dark blonde, pixie-cut hair being scratched followed by a yawn that scared the taller one.

 

The older one jumped in surprise, “Jesus! Yoobin, you ing startled me" The girl holding the bottle said, her free hand gripping onto the sink while the other was placed over her chest. Her eyes were wide, and her heavy breathing made her look like a madman.

 

"It's not my fault that you decided to just show up sneaking around the apartment without even telling me"

 

"I-I'll leave in a couple of minutes after…" Yoohyeon grumbled, her intentions almost revealed but chewed her sentence in the end. She then added, "Besides, when you guys wake up, I'll be gone anyway. So, I didn't need to make my presence known" To get away from the burning gaze.

 

Yoobin didn't open when Yoohyeon admitted her reason as to why she was being quiet while mildly snooping around the apartment. Silence was dispersed around them, and the escapee didn't like this kind of atmosphere. It took a couple of minutes, and the pink- haired decided to open her lips when the shorter one cuts in.

 

"Let me help you with that" Yoobin gestured for the gray-dye.

 

Yoohyeon could only nod and the next thing they knew, the taller girl was sitting on a fairly high chair and Yoobin's hand are occupied with plastic gloves. Both lips zipped tight while Yoobin brushed the dye on Yoohyeon's hair, spreading it.

 

"Thank you" Yoohyeon could only mumble; her legs in awkward angles, trying to calm her hammering heart.

 

The shorter girl didn't even bat an eye through the mirror, her eyes focused on the hair she's trying to overlap color with.

 

"How are things with…Gahyeon?" It was a start; the uneasiness was there but it's better than the agonizing ignorance.

 

Three patted sweeps, "Why are you suddenly curious about her?" The question turned somehow into a declarative statement.

 

"Because she's our daughter, and we're her parents? I'm a parent?" Yoohyeon emphasized the last word, her brow raising slightly.

 

Yoobin scoffed, her hand placing clear plastic near the taller one's ear. Yoohyeon felt her eyes sting a bit at the strong scent. The shorter one then proceeded on her work and shifted at the rear. She added another batch of color on the bowl palette and mixed it with the semi-ingredients from the package.

 

"Are you really a parent?" A drop of water from the faucet echoed, "As far as I know, a parent shouldn't be disappearing out of nowhere and then come back as if nothing had happen"

 

Yoohyeon flinched slightly at the drastic change of tone. The dictation full of venom and detest that she cannot help but blame herself.

 

"And if ever they do come back, they will stay. Fully. Not to vanish into thin air when dawn comes seeping through the blinds" Yoobin once again stated, her grip onto the hair was a bit tighter.

 

"Yoobin-ah…"

 

The latter sitting just stared at her loved one through the reflection the mirror mimicked with refracted light. Heart aching every word being dropped. The truth that she always wanted to avoid. The painful realization that she doesn't want to embed in her mind that everything was never okay. That nothing has been okay.

 

"And a parent should always let her family know that she's still here and that she always loves her child. No matter how much vague you are to her, and no matter how much torment it can give to your heart once you know that you can never return to the way things were…" There was a sudden halt in the air, and Yoohyeon finally noticed that Yoobin was no longer placing shades of dull on gathered strands. Her head was hanging lowly, as if trying to hide her eyes.

 

"Yoobin-ah…" Yoohyeon repeated, softer this time.

 

The person being called slowly lifted her head, eyes hidden by a dark shadow; a suffocating look, "You know how much I treasure Gahyeon, right?"

 

Yoohyeon could only bit her lip, her heart wavering exceedingly each and every time their words ceases to proceed. A shaken response, "Of course Yoobin, we both know that"

 

Yoobin continued placing hues, till the next quarter.

 

“Where were you?” She asked, hands still busy.

 

“I was having fun in prison, where else?” Voice laced with sarcasm, and Yoohyeon knew she just made a big mistake.

 

“It was your fault you got in there the first place”

 

“Mind your words Yoobin, I already told you it wasn’t” Yoohyeon snapped, her hands were clenched around the fabric of her sweater, constricting it without knowing.

 

“What am I supposed to say then? Are you expecting me to console you when you really deserve it? I told you way before, that your justice is not helping you nor us. You just have to ignore my advice”

 

Yoohyeon gritted her teeth in anger, trying to control the arising rage, “Our world has already been plainly ignorant about matters that they belittle, I cannot tolerate people getting away and abusing their freedom as if it’s not their responsibility where they use it”

 

“Yeah, sure, say that to the man you just murdered when he just stole a loaf of bread. A loaf of bread, Yoohyeon. A ing loaf of bread in a god damned convenience store. Now look at what that led you”

 

The latter almost whipped her head around to face Yoobin but her body absentmindedly reminded her that her hair’s still not yet done, “I can’t just let him run away! He would repeat the action and will never learn from it! We were already struggling from our financial issues, yet we never ever stole a single thing; no matter how desperate we were! Why should he be any different? Also, I didn’t murder him Yoobin, how many times should I tell you so that you could believe me that I didn’t kill him!”

 

Yoobin, who was still placing the last part of the shade, sighed heavily. It was still so hard to talk about the past no matter how much time has passed. She thought that she would get used to it eventually, being able to converse regarding the unfortunate events that tore them apart. However, it was such a big lapse in her part for assuming an obvious outcome. Feelings are hindrances that she can’t remove, especially when these occur every time Yoohyeon – and she means only Yoohyeon – is the only one capable of touching her point of fragility she doesn’t even know she has. The memories of past arguments suddenly bled into her mind. It didn’t end well.

 

A hesitant throw; her hand still brushing the remaining faded pink portion “Even so, all the evidences are pointing at you. It wasn’t because of trust at all, Yoohyeon” She muttered. Beats were ringing in their ears, deafening them. “It’s not all because of that”

 

Squeezing the remaining contents of the dye in a small concave container, Yoohyeon waited for the response. She can’t deny that she can only manage to hear the hammering sounds due to the nervousness she doesn’t even want to admit, but then again, this could be a good thing. It might mean that she does care what Yoobin has to say to her. Or maybe, she missed her. A lot. All the nagging, the lectures, advices, their tiny arguments, her mocking look, her deadpanned stare, her chuckle; everything. Her heart was clenching but she hid it. She doesn’t want to admit it though, no, at least not yet.

 

Another sigh.

 

“Don’t move just yet, I’m almost done” Yoobin says, her gloved fingers scooping an amount and applying it on the dim colored hair.

 

Yoohyeon could only nod, yet again.

 

When the short-haired girl was finally finished, she immediately removed the plastic covering her hands and disposing them in the bin nearby. She also cleaned up the little mess she made, by throwing the single-used ones and the container that was now, undeniably empty.

 

“Have you eaten dinner?” Yoobin asked, as if moments ago they didn’t almost have an argument that’s ominous to ensue.

 

Yoohyeon was about to respond when her stomach grumbled.

 

“I’ll…take that as a no” The shorter girl replied to the silent yet direct answer and left the bathroom. Yoohyeon swore she saw a glimpse of Yoobin smiling.

 

She hopes her eyes weren’t mistaken.

 

Yoohyeon followed the shorter one after placing a shower cap on her head to keep the color in place for at least an hour. She still had time, she thinks, it’ll not hurt to stay around with Yoobin while she’s still able. The thought of being played under fate’s hand was okay with her, if it contained Yoobin and Gahyeon – perhaps it would be bearable this way than any horrid scenes she could think of.

 

“Do you want me to order anything for you?” Came the low voice, making the newly dyed hair individual turn its gears at the person who inquired, with phone already on hand.

 

“I’ll take whatever you’re taking” Yoohyeon smiled, too sincerely. Eyes being shrouded with anxiety slowly creeping up, seconds are ticking essentially.

 

“Are you sure? I mean, you’re the one who’s eating – starved” Yoobin quirked an eyebrow, slightly suspicious with the answer.

 

“I’m not a picky eater, so I’m good”

 

Yoobin clicked her tongue before chuckling deeply, “Says the one who doesn’t like plain milk”

 

“Okay, wait, that is a different matter”

 

“It’s totally the same as that, Yoohyeon” Yoobin let out another snicker, her attention drifted to the person on the phone who is about to take their orders.

 

Yoohyeon sat on the couch as well, following Yoobin's action. Her heart was beating relentlessly, out of bounds of the normal pace. She let her eyes roam at her beloved’s figure, quite not knowing what else to do but to reminisce the old times that would be hovering around her mind, swishing back and forth because she has nothing to gain. She doesn’t want to lose anything though. Her vision was only focused on Yoobin’s side profile; device on the ear, dark irises being refracted by a direct hit of the light that comes from the lamp posts, cheeks that are now less plump, the hair that is unkempt yet it was a daring look on her, till it finally halted on the lips that are oh so tempting to lay her own on. It was becoming problematic for Yoohyeon to refrain herself to not jump on top of Yoobin and to salvage the only time she has left.

 

“Yoohyeon?”

 

There it was again, the deafening sound.

 

The name sounded so alien, but it was also very recognizable. It’s nerve-wrecking, every time she calls out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter