we did it.

truth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I look in the mirror and quickly fix my makeup

 

(geoulbogo eolleun danjanghae)

 

Getting ready just in case I bump into you

 

(hokshina majuchilkka junbihae)

 

I try to act like I don’t care

 

(mushimhan cheok haryeo haedo)

 

But I like you so much, what do I do?

 

(neomu joeun geol na eotteokae)



 

- the story begins: truth

__________

 

Nayeon was roaming around the hallways of practice rooms in JYPe when she heard a soft and mellow voice pouring out from one of the vocal practice rooms that made her heart skip a bit.

 

She sounded like an angel, powerful yet calm voice that speaks to you. Nayeon was enamoured with the girl's voice.

 

She searched for the sound and that is how she ended up spying from the tiny window at the door, listening and hoping to catch a glimpse of who the girl was.

 

And then she saw her face.

 

She was left in awe. God really took his time sculpting a beauty like her. The girl had her eyes closed but she can imagine the brown orbs behind them. She had long hair, perfect nose shape, and the most amazing beauty marks she had ever seen. Everything about the singer shouted elegance and gentleness.

 

She was about to stay longer when her friend, Jeongyeon, shouted at her from the other end of the hallway,

 

"What are you looking at over there, you creep?!"

 

The girl inside the room stopped singing and Nayeon immediately moved out of the door.

 

"Yoo Jeongyeon, are you crazy?! Why did you have to shout?" Nayeon exclaimed to the girl in front of her. Jeongyeon laughed and faced her with a smirk,

 

"Spying on Myoui now, are we?" Nayeon's eyes widened and looked behind her, just in time to see Mina step out of the room she was in front of a few moments ago. Mina looked up and saw the two staring at her and blushed from the attention. She gave them a rushed bow and walked away from them.

 

"Isn't she the trainee who just arrived? One of the Japanese ones?" Nayeon asked Jeongyeon, which the latter replied with a nod.

 

"Yup, she's good. Right? She's participating in Sixteen with us too."

 

Nayeon almost forgot the survival show they were supposed to be on. After almost debuting, she wondered if she can ever be out in the spotlight. 6Mix really messed them up: her, Jeongyeon, and Jihyo. Slowly, they started giving up. That is, until JYP asked them to join the show.

 

Seeing the girl and realizing she is one of Nayeon's many competitors, she was relieved and scared at the same time. Relieved that she'll get to see the singer more often, but scared since Nayeon doesn't know what the outcome of the program will be, now with an ace as her competitor.

 

__________

Today was the first day of the competition, and Nayeon felt very nervous.

 

She turned to her left and saw Mina standing like a stone, quite emotionless. Mina, feeling someone staring at her, looked to her right and saw Nayeon. The penguin gave her a timid smile and Nayeon gave her a thumbs up back. 

 

"Grandma, flirt with Myoui later and get your head in the game…" Jeongyeon whispered to her while snickering which resulted in Nayeon gave her shoulder a good slap. The younger girl was about to reiterate something when suddenly -

 

"Good evening, girls. Welcome to Sixteen."

 

__________

 

It was Nayeon's turn to go up on stage and perform. JYP PD-nim's question echoed back in her head.

 

Are you a star?

 

Nayeon a deep breath and started singing to Kelly Rowland's Kisses Down Low followed by The Ting Ting's Shut Up and Let Me Go. She made sure to put out her feelings and emotions through her performance. While performing, Nayeon remembered how immersed Mina was when she was singing. She used that as an inspiration and sang her heart out.

 

After singing, JYP gave his thoughts about the performance. With a frown on her face, Nayeon walked back to her place. 

 

What are your strengths? I think that was your flaw today.

 

Her mind was swarmed with scattered thoughts but suddenly, Mina was on stage, dancing ballet to Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker. Nayeon was in a daze, watching Mina perform gracefully. Every twist and turn, she finds herself more entranced. When Mina finished, she let out a big, gummy smile and Nayeon brought her hand to her heart. Felt it skip a beat.

 

Thump. Thump.

 

What's happening to me?

 

As Mina walked back to her place, she looked at Nayeon. The older girl applauded her and gave her a big smile. Mina sat with a smile on her face too.

 

__________

 

A few weeks have passed and Nayeon and Mina have become closer than before.

 

(She hopes that Mina at least considers her as a friend and not a competitor.)

 

Most of the time, Nayeom accompanies the penguin when buying snacks or playing games. Sana and Momo, the two other Japanese trainees, have been hanging out with them too sometimes after filming.

 

It was crazy hearing Mina's singing voice, seeing as it is quite the opposite from Nayeon's. The former highlights her soft voice laced with a bit of whispers and airiness, perfect for bridges while Nayeon tends to lash out her voice with confidence, forming a powerful chorus. At night when neither of them can sleep, they sing each lullabies to each other until they fall asleep. It has become a habit of theirs.

 

Heading towards the filming set for Sixteen, Nayeon started feeling the familiar presence of anxiety creeping on her. Some girls have already been eliminated out of the show and some partings have been very difficult. Chaeyeon, a friend of hers, has already been eliminated. Now that she thinks about it, everyone is really good. The two rappers, Chaeyoung and Dahyun, has never stepped out of the major lineup. Then there's Jeon Somi, the all-around star, who can sing and dance amazingly. Plus, s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter