Newcomer?

When the Night Falls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

On a cold, slippery night along the streets of suburban Seoul, the clumsy winter breeze howled furiously against the grand homes of proud families living at Sky Castle.

Kim Chaewon, youngest of the two daughters of the Kim third-generation family of doctors, was reading tirelessly on the study table at the corner of her room. The slight clanking of the window behind her simply distracted Chaewon and meddled with her concentration. She reached for the cup of jasmine tea beside her lamp, as if by reflex, only to realize she emptied her third refill that night.

The subdued noise of the window screeching cautiously, a hint of chilly wind that enters unwelcomely as it slightly blow the thick curtain cover, and the hushed ticking of clock were enough to nudge Chaewon to finally let go of her pen and stand up.

She stretched her slender arms upwards and bent her neck slowly towards the left, letting a wistful sigh as her limbs fall wearily back to place. Only then did Chaewon felt the uncomfortable weight of her legs from sitting too long.

The strawberry blonde-haired girl walked a few small steps towards the window and held its freezing lock handle. She inhaled the cold breeze for a quick second, letting the air escape , before pulling the handle and closing the window entirely.

 

It was fairly dim outside until a black Bentley Mulsanne chauffeur car struck the dark street with its bright headlights. Chaewon, staring aimlessly by the window, squint her eyes as she saw the car drive past their house and stop by the tall, unlived house next to the house in front of them which shelters the Kwon family.

For a moment, genuine curiosity hit Chaewon as she thought how the flawless black car, parked in front of a house that's unlived for God knows how long, was easily unfamiliar. She mindedly glanced at the wall clock to her left and saw it was quarter past eleven.

Chaewon narrowed her eyes, "How strange..." she muffled, looking back at the window and towards the car.

She watched a tall figure of a young teenage boy step out of the car, followed by a petite, young woman. A medium-built man on a black suit, whom Chaewon noted was the driver, opened the front seat door for a seemingly older woman.

'How very strange.'  she ponders, tugging the curtain a bit to cover her window just enough for privacy before walking back to her desk to turn off her lamp and call it a night.

 

 

The Aiju Won Academy is an esteemed school known for its highly successful alumni currently living at Sky Castle. The academy is responsible for producing university-qualified graduates able to get accepted into the likes of acclaimed universities such as the Seoul National University, Korea University, and Yonsei University- three of the most prestigious universities in South Korea, abbreviated as SKY.

 

For Chaewon, every day she spends studying at the academy is just a preparation for her to get accepted into SNU. She is in a joint elite class with ten other girls, made especially for top performing students from freshmen to senior of the academy. Other students call them the ace class or simply 'Ace'.

What seemed like a regular day for Chaewon, what with the playful bickering by the door of Choi Yena, class’ prankster and Miyawaki Sakura, an infamous gamer, and the loud teasing antics of Ahn Yujin as she banter "Minjoo at it again!", were later charged with a little surprise when their homeroom teacher announced an unexpected addition to their exclusive class.

Kwon Eunbi, the senior and leader of the class raised her hand, "That's not possible though, is it? It's the middle of the school year, and a transfer student at top of that. Impossible." she said with absolute certainty.

"Right, there must be a mistake." Jang Wonyoung, the youngest and one of the tallest among the girls, chimed in with confusion.

"Well, it's official. In fact, she will be joining us starting today and should be here any minute now. Be at your best behavior and don't do or s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter