The Prefect

you're just too good to be true (can't take my eyes off you)

"...and he decides to wait until the last minute to tell me he's transferred to Durmstrang!"

Joy hums, not even paying attention to Yeri's newest rant about her summer fling. At least she's thankful he doesn't go to Hogwarts anymore. She doesn't think she could handle one more minute looking at his smug face. 

It's their first day back at Hogwarts and Joy is already counting down the days until the school year is over and she can finally go back home. The idea of being trapped in a castle with a thousand other hormonal teenagers and strict old teachers doesn't really give her a nice and warm feeling. She exhales slowly, resting her cheek on the palm of her hand as she watches the first year students being shepherded into the Great Hall for the Sorting Ceremony. She watches a few first year students glance at her table with excitement. She silently scoffs and rolls her eyes. They may not have been sorted yet but it's always easy to tell who's going to be a Slytherin, and there's nothing more annoying than first year Slytherins. All they do is walk around like they're Merlin's gift to the ing earth. 

"Joy, are you even listening to me?" asks Yeri, snapping her fingers in front of Joy's face. 

"You already know the answer to that question," grumbles Joy, swatting Yeri's hand out of her face. Yeri rolls her eyes, deciding to drop the subject. 

They watch as the new students are called up one by one, the Sorting Hat placed on their heads and their houses being declared. Joy doesn't even bother clapping for the newly sorted Slytherins. All she wants to do is take a nice hot shower and go to sleep. 

"And that concludes this year's Sorting Ceremony!" declares Dumbledore. "Now let the feast begin!" 

Joy groans, placing her forehead on the cool wood table as the noise in the Grand Hall reaches a new level. 

"Stop ing," scolds Yeri, placing a couple drums of chicken on her plate. "And eat something for Merlin's sake! The last thing I want is for you to wake me in the middle of the night to sneak into the kitchens with you just cause you caught a craving." 

Joy lifts her head and glares at Yeri. She scoops up some mashed potatoes and grabs herself some drums of chicken before digging in. She watches in amusement as Nearly-Headless Nick scares the living daylights out of the new kids. There's nothing that brings her more happiness than the new kids being scared less, especially when it's her and Yeri scaring them. 

The feast is nearly over when Dumbledore stands up, calling the hall to attention. 

"Now, if I can have all fifth year prefects stand up," exclaims Dumbledore, watching as one boy and one girl from each house get on their feet. 

Joy looks around the hall, seeing which students from her year have officially become prefects. She spots Jennie Kim standing near the front of the Slytherin table along with Hanbin Kim. 

'Of course the Kim twins would be prefects,' she thinks to herself, watching the twins stand tall and proud as everyone in their table looks at them in admiration. 

She glances to the other prefects, trying to see if she can recognize any of them. She sees Myoui Mina and Jinhwan also standing near the front of the Ravenclaw table and Chanwoo standing with a blonde haired girl at Hufflepuff's table. She shifts her gaze to Gryffindor's table, and sees Jihyo and Bobby on their feet. 

She shifts her gaze back to Hufflepuff's table and squints her eyes, trying to discern who the blonde haired Hufflepuff was. She appeared to be tall and lithe, and there was a gracefulness to her posture. 

This is Joy's fifth year at Hogwarts, and although she doesn't much care about interacting with anyone outside her assigned house, it doesn't mean she doesn't know who the other students are in her year. So it puzzles her to know that there is someone that she cannot seem to recognize. 

"All first year students, please go to the prefects of your assigned house. Follow them closely, we don't need anyone accidentally getting lost." Dumbledore announces. The rest of the students start to slowly file out of the Great Hall, each heading towards their own dorms. 

"Hey, who's blondie over there?" asks Joy, nudging Yeri. 

"Over where?" 

"Over there." 

Joy nods her head towards Hufflepuff's table, watching all the first year Hufflepuff girls crowd around the blonde prefect. 

"Did you suddenly get hit with a memory charm or are you that stupid?" mocks Yeri, slowly getting on her feet, stretching her arms to the ceiling, a groan escaping her lips. "It's Rosie you idiot." 

"Rosie? As in Roseanne Park Rosie? That Rosie?"

"Yes, that Rosie."

Joy watches as the blonde prefect leads the new students out of the Great Hall, the girls scampering to keep up with the prefect's long strides.

"She got hot," Joy remarks, letting her eyes roam over the prefect before she walks out the Great Hall with the new kids. "Like, really hot."

"She literally just changed her hair color," snarks Yeri, tugging on Joy's robe to get her to stand up.

Joy gets on her feet, throwing her right arm over Yeri's shoulder as they walk out of the Great Hall, admiring the floating candles and how the candlelight contrasts against the black velvety ceiling adorned with stars. Now matter how many times she's been in the Great Hall, the view of the sky always seems to take her breath away.

They slowly walk towards the door on the right hand side of the Entrance Hall, a comfortable silence settling between them. Through the door, they walk down the stone steps, leading both girls deep into the dungeons, where the entrance to Slytherin's common room is located. 

"Pureblood," Yeri speaks the password, watching as the bare stretch of stone wall slowly reveals the passageway to Slytherin's common room. They walk through the passageway and enter the common room. The dim green round lamps chained against the brick walls give the room an eerie glow. Carvings of snakes can be seen in almost all of their furniture.There are skulls placed around the area, along with tapestries of famous medieval Slytherins hanging against the wall. As much as Joy prides herself for being a Slytherin, even she has to admit they tend to overdo the creepy and the morbid. 

Joy slips off her robe and starts loosening her tie while they head towards their dorm room. She and Yeri have been roommates since their first year at Hogwarts, and although there have been a few other girls that have roomed with them throughout the years, it's always been Yeri who's been with her since the beginning. 

They enter their room, Joy slipping off her shoes before sitting on her bed. She watches Yeri rummage through her bags, gathering her toiletries for her shower. 

"So...."

Yeri pauses her rummaging, waiting for Joy to finish her sentence.

"Is she single?"

"Is who single?"

"Rosie. Is she single?"

Yeri quirks her eyebrow, an amused smile gracing her lips.

"What's it to you? Planning on making her your future ex-wife?"

Joy grabs her pillow and launches it at Yeri, the pillow landing square on her face. Yeri let's out a shriek, grabbing the pillow and throwing it back at Joy.

Joy grabs the pillow, placing it on her lap before reclining against her headboard. She picks on a loose string on her pillowcase, trying to feign disinterest. 

"I was just wondering," mumbles Joy. 

Yeri looks over at Joy, her eyes narrowing by the second. Silence permeates the room while Yeri scrutinizes her, immediately noticing her stiff posture. A slow smirk forms on Yeri's face. 

"Nah... last I heard she's dating Son Chaeyoung."

"Oh..." 

Yeri tries to hold in her laughter as she watches Joy's downcast face. "Yeah, apparently they've been dating for a year now." 

"That's cool," Joy shrugs, trying and failing to mask her disappointment. 

Yeri let's out a peal of laughter, pointing at Joy's disheartened expression. 

"Don't worry," Yeri snickers, "Rosie is very much single." 

"But what about Chaeyoung?" 

Yeri huffs in exasperation. "If you actually focused on anyone outside of yourself you'd know Chaeyoung has been dating Tzuyu since last year."

"Do you even know me Yeri? You should consider yourself lucky I even spend some of my precious time with you." Yeri rolls her eyes, already used to  Joy's narcissism.

Joy runs her hands on her pillow, picking on imaginary lint.

"So.... you're saying Rosie's single?" Joy confirms, lifting her head to meet Yeri's eyes.

"Yes Casanova, she's single." 

Yeri has known Joy long enough to know when she's scheming. A look of mischief crosses Joy's face, a wide smile slowly taking form. She can practically hear the gears whirring in Joy's head. 

 

"Well..." 

 

Oh boy. 

 

"It looks like I'm gonna have to rectify that."

 

Yeri immediately turns around and gathers her toiletries that she placed on her bed. She walks out of the dorm, already having a feeling that whatever Joy is planning is not gonna turn out well. 

 

Here we go.