Chapter 1

Guardian Angel

The Rum Pum Pum Pub was teeming with lowlifes and degenerates.  Located in the outskirts of Seoul, it was the go to place of crooks and felons alike. The building was low and eerie, the interior lit by dim lights, though admittedly filled with good music. The air reeked of smoke and alcohol and the crash of a glass breaking regularly echoed in the place for every minute.

Krystal Jung Soojung made her way through the ruckus as though she was having a fine stroll at the park. It was the only way to survive in a place filled with animals. Walk with head held high and without a care at the watchful eyes. The moment you show the tiniest bit of weakness, you’ll be eaten out alive.

The men got out of her way and the ones occupying her usual table scampered away. They were wise. She settled on the worn out cushion, crossed her legs, and scanned the area. Her hunt had been on-going for a year now but her determination never faltered. After all, Phantom had taken away something precious. It’s only right that he pays back the same price.

The Orion Organization was a notorious crime syndicate under the leadership of a mysterious man called Phantom. They were infamous for racketeering and swindling. What the public found interesting was the fact that they target only the filthy rich like corrupt politicians and dirty conglomerates. Another oddity was instead of gobbling the money up all by themselves, they give it all away to the poor and needy instead. Phantom, the group’s leader, always made sure everyone knows it’s his doing by leaving a signature; a lone red rose. This makes the community swoon and call him a romantic, a modern-day Robin Hood. He was idolized and looked up to but for the government, he was still a criminal. A big bounty was put under his head. After all, he did break laws.

And Krystal was there to hunt him down.

Her reasons were a bit personal though and it wasn’t for the money. He had taken something that he shouldn’t have, and she’s going to make him pay. A life for a life. She fiddled with the red rose pinned to the chest of her dress. Her plan was to draw the outlaw out by pretending to be Phantom himself.

Imagine how big of a blow to his ego it would be if he finds out that some woman had the nerve to claim his identity and taint his image? Pretending to be Phantom and persuading the people was easier than she expected. All she had to do was knock some people out to prove herself and they bought her story as quick as lightning.

According to her sources, The Orion Organization’s members frequented Rum Pum Pum Pub and the tavern owner, Amber Liu, confirmed this herself. Krystal wanted them to hear her claims and tell their boss so he would come out from his cave and straight where Krystal wants him to be—under her gunpoint.

However, today seemed like it wasn’t the day either. It was soon past closing hours and only a couple of customers were left. Krystal swirled her brandy and took a sip. It doesn’t matter. There’s always tomorrow and her patience could run forever if so she could find the man and get his head.

“Seems like today’s not your day either,” Amber told her, pouring some more brandy in her glass. “But maybe tomorrow it’ll be. Yes, yes, I’m sure it’ll be tomorrow. With your amazing patience, you ought to be rewarded.”

Krystal nodded in response to the woman’s daily words of reassurance. Amber was the only one who knew about her deception. She was trying to make her stay and not give up. After all, business had grown after the rumour that Phantom visits her pub every day. Krystal’s presence had become that of a tourist attraction and brought in more customers and Amber wasn’t about to complain.

“He’ll get caught in your trap like a filthy rat.” Amber said with a nod. “And when he does, you’ll get your revenge.”

Krystal lifted the glass to her lips and took a sip, the bitter liquid burning its way through and setting a fire in her stomach. She stared at the melting ice cubes and spoke in a tone that could freeze them up again. “I’ll get him.”

The harshness of her voice sent shivers up Amber’s spine. She was about to give her hasty agreement when the door suddenly flew open, stealing her attention. Amber looked up, about to call out that the tavern was closed for the night, but the sight stunned her to the core so much that she was reduced to a gaping fool, astonished.

“Holy mother of god, has an angel come down upon us?”

Krystal’s seat faced the door and gave her a clear view. She suppressed any outward reaction but in truth, her surprise was just as great as Amber’s. Her heart started slamming a wild beat and she couldn’t seem to catch her breath.

The woman standing at the doorway did look like an angel, alright. The backlight from the street made it look like she was glowing. A mirage. A beautiful mirage. Krystal didn’t dare blink, certain that the vision would vanish if she closed her eyes for a second or two.

She was an incredibly beautiful woman. Her eyes captivated her. They were the most intense shade of brown she had ever seen. And those eyes were staring straight at her.

Krystal stared back.

They stared for a long moment, studying each other. Then, the woman started to move forward, getting closer step by step. As soon as she moved, the hood of her black cape fell to her shoulders. Krystal quit breathing. The beautiful mirage was blessed with lush, golden brown locks that framed her delicate face perfectly.

When she neared her table, Krystal noticed the miserable state of her clothes. The quality of her coat indicated wealth, yet the expensive material had been shredded halfway up one side. It looked as though someone had taken a knife to it. Part of the red satin lining hung in tatters around her hem. Krystal’s curiosity intensified. She looked back up at her face and saw the faint bruises on her right cheekbone, the small cut below her plump lower lip, and the splotch of dirt marring her forehead. The angel looked like she’d just lost a battle with Satan. Yet she was still very appealing, too appealing for Krystal’s peace of mind.

The woman stopped when she reached the other side of the round table, her gaze now locked on the rose pinned on Krystal’s dress.

She was obviously frightened. Her hands were shaking. She clutched a brown envelope to her chest and Krystal noticed several faded scars on her slender fingers.

“Are you Phantom?” the angel finally spoke. Her voice confirmed her state of fright, eyes still locked on the rose.

Krystal tilted her head to the side, unsure of what to make of the woman. “Why are you all alone at this time of the night, in this section of the city?”

“Are you Phantom?” the woman asked again, more desperately now. “I urgently have to speak with that person. It is a terribly important matter.”

Krystal relented. “I am Phantom.”

The woman seemed relieve by this. “I heard you’ll do anything if the price is enough. Is that true?”

“It is.” Krystal acknowledged. “What do you want from me?”

The woman placed the envelope to the centre of the table in answer to his question. Her hand shook terribly as she did so, causing some of its contents to spill out; a bunch of 10 million won cheques. Amber let out a low whistle.

“500 million won.” the beautiful stranger declared, eyes still downcast.

Krystal raised a brow. “500 million won?”

The woman timidly nodded. “Is that enough? It’s all I have.”

Krystal looked at the cheques and back up at her. “What do you want to be done?”

“I would like you to kill someone, please.”

She asked the favour oh so sweetly and with her pitiful and innocent face, Krystal almost thought she heard it wrong. “Who’s the target? Your husband?”

“No.”

“No? You’re not married then?”

“Does it matter?”

“Oh, yes.” Krystal drawled, voice lowered just above a whisper. “It matters.”

“No, I’m not married.”

“Then who is it you want dead? Your father? Your brother?”

The woman shook her head.

Krystal leaned back and let out a long drawn sigh. Her patience was running thin. “I’m getting exhausted of having to question you. Tell me.” she forced a belligerent tone paired with a glare, certain that she’d intimidate the timid woman into blurting out her full explanation. She knew she failed in that endeavour, however, when she caught the mutinous expression on her face. If she hadn’t been watching her so intently, she would’ve missed the flash of anger. It was a surprise. Seems like the frightened little kitten had a little spirit inside her after all.

“I would like you to accept this task before I expound.”

“Task?” Krystal asked, incredulous, “You call hiring me to kill someone a task?”

“I do.” The woman announced with a nod.

“Alright.” Krystal lied. “I accept.” the woman’s relief was apparent, her shoulders sagging free of tension out of reprieve. Krystal’s curiosity was now gnawing at her. “Now, tell me who my victim is.”

The woman slowly lifted her gaze to look at her then. The torment Krystal saw in her eyes made her chest ache. Suddenly, she felt outraged on her behalf, then had to shake her head over such ridiculous notion.

Hell, the woman was contracting her to murder someone.

Their gazes held a long while and when she still refused to say anything, Krystal asked again. “Well? Who is it you want killed?”

The woman took a deep breath before answering.

“Me.”

 

 

 


 

 

 

Complete silence.

The entire place was rendered quiet in a few number of seconds until Amber breathed out her disbelief.

“Holy , you can’t be serious.”

The woman didn’t take her gaze away from Krystal when she answered. “I’m very serious. I wouldn’t have gone out into this part of the city in the middle of the night if I wasn’t.”

“I think you’ve lost your mind.” Krystal commented.

“No, it would’ve been much easier if I had.”

The urge to shout at her was getting much harder to control. “Okay. Then when would you like this…this…”

“Task?”

“Yes, task. When would you like this task done?” she asked.

“Now.”

“Now?”

“If it’s convenient.”

“If it’s convenient?”

“I’m sorry.” the woman suddenly apologized, looking down again. “I didn’t mean to upset you.”

“Why do you think you’ve upset me?”

“Because you’re shouting at me.”

Krystal realized she was right. She had been shouting. Letting out a long sigh, she felt incredulous, not that she haven’t been the moment the angel of a woman arrived. For the first time in a long while, her composure was completely shattered. To her defence, anyone with half a mind would have been caught off guard by such an outrageous request.

It didn’t help that she looked sincere and terribly fragile too. She should be home under lock and key with her loving family protecting her, not standing in this dodgy pub calmly discussing her own murder.

“Have you never killed a woman before?” the woman asked. Hell, she looked as though she felt sorry for her now.

“No, I’ve never killed a woman before.” Krystal answered. “But there’s always a first time for everything.” she meant to be sarcastic but the woman took it to heart.

“That’s the spirit.” she gushed and actually smiled at her then. “It shouldn’t be hard. I’ll help you.”

Krystal wanted to slam her face on the table. “You’re willing to help?” she strangled out in disbelief.

“Of course.”

“You’re crazy.”

“No, I’m not.” the woman countered. “But I’m very desperate. This task needs to be done as soon as possible. Can you please hurry up and finish your drink?”

“Why must it be done so soon?”

“Because they’re going to come for me anytime now.” the woman answered. “I’m going to die, Phantom, by their hand or yours, and I’d rather determine my own end.”

“Then why don’t you just kill yourself?” Amber blurted out. “Wouldn’t that be much easier than hiring someone else?”

Krystal glared at the tavern keeper. “For heaven’s sake, don’t encourage her.”

“I can never kill myself.” the woman answered then. “It would be a sin. Someone else has to do it.”

Krystal had reached her limit. Every ridiculous word coming out from those pretty lips riled her temper. She abruptly stood, upsetting the chair in her haste, and planted her palms on the table top. “We’re going to start at the beginning. First, you’ll begin by telling me your name.”

“Why?”

“It’s a little rule I have.” Krystal made up. “I don’t kill anyone I don’t know.”

“It’s a stupid rule.”

“Answer me.”

“Nana.”

“Damn it, I want your name!”

“Damn it, that is my name!”

Krystal studied the thoroughly disgruntled look on the woman’s face. “You’re serious, aren’t you?”

“Of course, I’m serious. My name is Nana.”

“That’s an unusual name.” Krystal straightened up. “Fitting, though, since you’re proving to be a rather unusual woman.”

“Your opinion of me isn’t at all relevant. I hired you to complete an assignment for me and that’s all. Is it also your rule to interview your victims before you kill them?”

Krystal ignored her feisty glare. Damn, this woman was confusing. One second she’s cowering and the next, she’s glowering. “Tell me the rest of your name or I might just strangle you.”

“No, you shouldn’t strangle me.” Nana replied. “I don’t want to die that way and I’m the one who hired you, remember?”

“What way—” Krystal caught herself. “Never mind. I don’t want to know.”

“But you have to know.” Nana insisted. “How can you kill me if you don’t know how it should be done?”

“Later.” Krystal said. “You can instruct me with your method of choice later but first, are your parents waiting at home for you?”

“It’s doubtful.”

“Why?”

“They’re both dead.”

Krystal leaned against the wall and closed her eyes, counting to ten. “So you’re all alone?”

“No.”

“No?”

“I have a brother.” Nana said. “But that’s all I’m willing to tell you. It’s too risky.”

“Why is it a risk?” Amber asked.

“The more she knows about me, the more difficult the task will become. It would be very upsetting to kill someone you liked, right?”

“I don’t know. I’ve never had to kill someone I liked.” Amber admitted. “Actually, I’ve never killed anyone.”

“Nana-ssi, I assure you that won’t be a problem.” Krystal said, eyes still closed though she was slowly losing her battle against herself. “Right now, I don’t like you at all?”

Nana took a step back, looking offended. “Why not?” she demanded. “Excuse me, but I’m not even being half as insulting as you are, Phantom.”

“Don’t call me Phantom.”

“Why not?”

“It’s dangerous if someone overhears.” Amber blurted when she saw how infuriated Krystal was becoming. The muscle in the side of her jaw had started flexing. Krystal was usually calm and composed but this woman was innocently shaking her into a real froth, and understandably so. If Krystal let loose, she might as well give her her wish and frighten her to death.

“What should I call her then?” Nana asked the tavern keeper.

“Krystal.” Amber answered but not without an inquisitive glance at Krystal. “You can call her Krystal.”

Krystal opened her eyes. The woman was looking at the rose again. Annoyed, she reached out and held her chin, forcing her to look at her again. “What’s your brother’s name?”

“Jongsuk.”

“Where is he now?”

Nana slapped her hand away before answering, “He’s away on a business trip.”

“When will he be back?”

The woman’s glare could melt a lesser man. “Two weeks.” she snapped. It looks like Krystal wasn’t the only one losing her temper. “There, I’ve answered all your questions. Now will you please quit pestering me and get on with the task?”

“Your endless questions are giving me a headache.”

Krystal glanced at Amber and let her see her exasperation. “This crazy woman wants me to kill her, yet now she complains about a headache.”

Suddenly, slender fingers grabbed hold of Krystal’s chin, nudging her to look at the woman. It was a deliberate imitation of her earlier actions. Krystal was so surprised, she let her have her way.

“Now it’s my turn.” Nana announced. “I’ll ask you my questions and you will answer them. May I remind you, I’m the one paying. First and most important, I want to know if you’re really going to kill me. Your hesitation and endless interrogation alarms me.”

“I’m not going to kill you.”

“You cheat!” Nana cried out, letting go of her chin. She looked thoroughly outraged, dramatically clutching her chest. “You promised me! You gave me your word!”

“I lied.”

Her gasp nearly knocked her over. “You’re a total disappointment. Someone honourable shouldn’t break their word.”

“I never said I’m a woman of honour.”

Nana’s disposition completely changed then. Fire ignited in her eyes. She planted her hands on the table and leaned forward. “I was told Phantom never, ever, breaks their word.” she whispered.

“You were misinformed.”

They were almost nose to nose now. Krystal tried to concentrate on their conversation but her scent, so clean, so fresh, so utterly feminine, kept getting in the way.

Nana was shaking her head at her now and Krystal’s literally at a loss for words. Nobody in their right mind had ever stood up to her before. This one’s different, however. She wasn’t just standing up to her. She’s actually matching her glare for glare. Krystal suddenly felt like laughing and didn’t know why.

Nana’s insanity was obviously the contagious kind.

“You’re impossible. You had me fooled.” the woman said. “You don’t look the type to act so dastardly.”

Nana tried to move away but Krystal put her hands on top of hers, trapping her. She moved forward until was just scant a kiss away. “I’m a criminal, ma’am. We’re known to be dastardly.”

She waited for another furious rebuttal but the daft woman burst into tears instead. It caught Krystal off guard. She wasn’t prepared for that emotional display.

Krystal reached for a handkerchief in her purse while Amber immediately rushed to comfort the woman, awkwardly patting her shoulders. “There, there, don’t cry now.”

“It’s all her fault.” Nana sobbed, “All I asked was just a simple favour. Just one quick task that wouldn’t take more than a minute. I even offered to wait until she finished her drink.” she continued with a wail. “I was willing to pay, too.”

By the time she finished her pitiful rant, Amber was glaring at Krystal. “You’ve upset her.” she accused and grabbed the handkerchief from Krystal’s hand, awkwardly trying to wipe Nana’s tears away.

The woman wasn’t done. She blew her nose on the handkerchief and went on again. “Do you know I’ve never asked anyone for anything? But the moment that I do, my request is denied. This world is messed up. Does nobody ever make an honest living anymore at this generation? Do they all rather steal than earn their way?”

Krystal was too dumbfounded to speak. She had no idea if she should take her into her arms and comfort her or grab her by the shoulders and shake some sense into her. One thing’s sure, however. If Amber continues to frown at her, she’s going to break her nose.

“Now what do you think you’re doing?” Krystal asked Nana when she began to put the spilled cheques back into the envelope.

“I’m leaving.” Nana answered. She took the envelope and straightened up. “I apologize for bothering you, Phantom, or Krystal, or whatever your name is.”

When she turned and started for the door, Krystal called out. “Where do you think you’re going?”

“That’s none of your business.” Nana said. “I’m going to find someone more cooperative. Before this night is over, I’ll find someone willing to kill me.”

Krystal went after her and caught her at the door. She grabbed hold of her slender wrist but the moment she touched her, Nana started crying again. Krystal was bewildered, flustered, and a lot confused. Not knowing what to do, she gave in to her overwhelming urge and pulled the woman into her arms.

Nana was a tall woman, tall enough for Krystal to rest her chin on her shoulder. The woman wept against her neck, blaming her for her current condition in the midst of her loud sobs. She was, without a doubt, the most confusing woman Krystal had ever encountered.

Krystal found that she didn’t mind holding her at all despite the tears wetting her dress and the pitiful cries. And god, she was wonderfully soft. She usually disliked timid women who cried, yet found she didn’t want to let go of this one.

When Nana had stopped crying and started hiccupping like a drunkard, Krystal decided to talk to her. She pulled away just enough for their eyes to meet.

“Nana-ssi,” she started, “Life can’t be as terrible as you believe. Surely, when tomorrow comes, you’d be thankful I didn’t comply to your request.”

She burst into tears again, hiding in the crook of Krystal’s neck once more. “I’d be dead tomorrow morning.”

“No, you won’t.” Krystal assured her with an affectionate squeeze. “I won’t let anything happen to you. You can’t really want to die just yet.”

“My brother would be disappointed if I die.”

“I’m sure he would.” Krystal dryly answered.

“But they’re after me. I’m afraid they’ll use me before they kill me. I don’t want to die that way.” Nana’s voice shook. “There’s no dignity in it.”

“Will your brother be able to take care of your problem when he returns?”

“Yes.” Nana answered. “Jongsuk-oppa would never let anything harm me. He’s been my protector since our father died.”

“Then I’ll keep you safe until he returns.” Krystal promised earnestly. “I give you my word.”

A long minute of silence passed before Nana reacted to her words. Krystal assumed she might’ve been too overcome with gratitude to speak. And then the woman broke their embrace and looked at her. Krystal realized she wasn’t overwhelmed at all. Hell, she looked downright irritated.

“You have already broken your promise to me. You gave your word that you’d kill me too and then changed your mind.” Nana reminded her. “How am I supposed to believe you?”

Krystal wanted to slap her own forehead. “This is different.”

Nana didn’t look like she believed her.

Sighing, Krystal continued. “I mean what I say. I’ll keep you safe until your brother returns. Two weeks, isn’t it?”

Nana’s expression turned solemn. “Perhaps.” she said. “But you’re a wanted fugitive. There’s a bounty on your head. I don’t want to be held responsible if you get killed.”

“You really have little faith in my abilities, do you?”

“I don’t have any faith in your abilities.” Nana corrected. “Why should I? You just admitted that the rumours about you are fake. You probably don’t even leave a red rose on your victim’s pillow, do you?”

Krystal was starting to get riled up again. “You don’t have to sound so damned disappointed.”

“But I am disappointed!” Nana cried out. She was getting started with her drama again. “Besides, you don’t look at all strong enough to take on my enemies. No, I’m sorry. I’m afraid you simply won’t do.”

Krystal wanted to throttle her.

Was the offer of killing her still open?

Nana turned her back on her again and tried to leave. Krystal was too astonished by her attitude she almost let her get away. Almost. She caught her by the wrist just as she reached the doorway.

“Let go of me.” Nana complained. “You must never touch me.”

Krystal was once again taken aback. “Why not?”

“I don’t like to be touched.”

“Then how in heaven’s name was I supposed to kill you?”

Nana obviously didn’t get her humour. “You were going to use a gun.” she paused to give her a suspicious look. “You do have one, right?”

“I do.” Krystal answered. “And where was I supposed to…”

“One clean shot, directly through my heart. You should be accurate. I don’t want to linger.”

“No. Lingering would be out of the question.” Krystal found herself agreeing and shook her head to get a grip. Damn, her insanity is contagious. She turned to the tavern keeper instead. “Amber, we’re leaving. Don’t let anyone else know of this conversation.”

“Amber-ssi?” Nana suddenly called out, drawing both of their attention. “You wouldn’t happen to own a pistol, would you?”

She sounded too damned eager. Krystal knew what she was thinking. The woman was as easy to read as a Latin text. “She doesn’t and she won’t.” she answered in Amber’s behalf.

Nana glared at her and broke away from her hold. She gathered her hair over to one shoulder and that’s when Krystal noticed the blood dripping from her head, down to her neck, the dark liquid unnoticeable on her black coat.

Krystal immediately held her still to examine the wound. “When did you get that?”

“Don’t touch it.” Nana snapped when she tried to prod at the edges. “It still stings.”

“I’m sure it does.” Krystal retracted her hand. “What happened?”

“My right foot caught my other one and I tumbled down the stairs of my brother’s house.” Nana explained. “I hit my head on the railing.”

“What happened after you fell?”

“I went for a walk to try to clear my head. Then they started chasing after me.”

“They?”

Nana had the nerve to give her a frown, as though she wasn’t being very vague and confusing. “The men I saw kill another man.” she explained. “Please pay attention I’m pretty sure I mentioned that earlier.”

“You didn’t say a word about that at all.”

“Well, I meant to mention it.” Nana crossed her arms defensively, looking disgruntled. “I wouldn’t have forgotten about it if you didn’t distract me by your arguments. It’s all your fault for making me lose my train of thought.”

Krystal doubted there was a train of thought at all. “Did you witness the murder before or after you hit your head?”

“It was before…no, it was after. I think.” Nana clutched her head. “Oh, I don’t remember. My head’s pounding again. Will you please stop asking me questions?”

Krystal stared. Now she’s beginning to understand. “Were you wearing your cloak when you fell down?”

“Yes. But—”

“You tore your cloak and bruised your face when you fell, didn’t you?”

Nana didn’t like her condescending tone. “What are you trying to say?”

“It’s very simple.” Krystal answered. “Your head suffered a trauma, Nana-ssi. You aren’t thinking logically.”

“Are you saying I’m crazy?”

“Almost there but not quite.” Krystal honestly answered. “Give it time and you’ll realize your mind’s just playing tricks on you.”

“My mind isn’t playing tricks on me.” Nana said, looking utterly offended.

“You’re confused.”

“I’m not!”

“If you’ll only think about what I’m…” Krystal trailed off, giving up when Nana shook her head at her. She sighed. “You’re too addled to be reasoned with. We’ll wait until you get better. Besides, if there really was someone getting murdered, the news would have spread by now.”

“But if you believe I’m just imagining everything, then there’s no need to protect me, right?”

“But there is.” Krystal said. “You’re a threat against yourself until you recover. I can’t leave you on your own. That would gnaw on my patience. Now come on, my chauffer’s waiting for me.”

She tried to grab her hand but Nana evaded and proceeded to walk on her own. Krystal’s exasperated sigh was loud enough to wake the drunks littering the alleys. She went after her and caught her wrist.

“If you don’t quit dragging me, I’ll scream your name over and over again until the authorities come and take you away, Phantom.” Nana threatened, struggling out of her hold.

“I’m not Phantom.”

Nana came to an abrupt stop. “What?”

“I said, I’m not Phantom.”

Nana stepped away from her. “Just who the hell are you then?”

Krystal tried to get her to walk again but the woman wouldn’t budge. She gave in. “My name really is Krystal. Now can we please go now? This is neither the time nor place for a lengthy discussion. I’ll explain everything to you on our way.”

Nana didn’t look like she believed her but she started walking anyway. “Shame on you. You’ve been pretending to be Phantom all this time, tainting their reputation…”

Krystal rolled her eyes. “I believe their reputation is already very much tainted with or without my help.”

They arrived at the waiting car. Krystal made Nana climb in first to make sure she won’t try to make another escape. Once the door shut close and the vehicle started moving, the interior was filled with darkness. Nana couldn’t see Krystal’s scowl and was most relieved.

The latter couldn’t see her smile either.

No one made a sound after Krystal ordered her driver to take them home. Nana used the time to regain her composure. Krystal used the time to calm her frustration.

“Why were you pretending to be Phantom?” Nana broke the ice.

“To hunt him down.”

“You think he’s a man?”

“Only men can do such trashy crimes.”

“But why are you hunting him?”

“Later.” Krystal told her. “I’ll tell you about it later.” she was sure the cold and clipped tone of her voice was enough to discourage her from asking any more questions but alas, she’s mistaken. Again.

“You’re angry because I made you stop your hunt, aren’t you?”

Krystal heaved the nth sigh since she met the preposterous woman. “You didn’t stop my hunt. I may have failed up until now but when we’ve taken care of your problem, I’d resume. Don’t worry, Nana-ssi. I won’t fail.”

Nana wasn’t at all worried. But she couldn’t tell her that. Krystal hadn’t failed at all. No, she had gone into the pub to draw Phantom out.

And that’s exactly what she’d done.

Nana had done her task well. Her brother was definitely going to be pleased.