It Began with an Ending

Tay and New

 

"We can't go back to how we were" Tay smiled bitterly. New tried to hold back his tears as he watched his best friend struggle with his emotions. 

 

"But, I don't want to lose what we have" New murmured. He couldn't say the words out loud because he felt that it was a selfish request. His best friend was in pain and yet all he could think about was his own feelings. New could only bite his lips to keep himself from saying more.

 

Tay ruffled New's hair like he has always done when he thought that the other was being silly. 

 

"Hin, I don't want to lose our friendship either but you have to understand that when I bared my heart to you, things have changed irrevocably between us" Tay exhaled. 

 

New could only mumble another apology.

 

 "I am also sorry for ruining what we had" Tay has always promised to never be the cause of New's pain but looking at the younger's sad face he knew that he failed.

 

Tay forced a smile that he has perfected since the time he realized his feelings for New, "But, while you can't reciprocate my feelings, I know that you care for me in your own way and that is enough reason for me to hold on to our friendship."

 

"I'm really sorry Tay" 

 

"Stop it already " Tay grumbled at a downcast New "Let's just go out for a drink to commemorate the day my confession of undying love got rejected"

 

New sighed "It's only 6:00 in the morning Tay. I don't think there's a pub open yet"

 

The early morning light washed through New's living room like a spotlight shining through their somber faces much to Tay's chagrin. Besides his infamous bad luck, Tay never had a knack for finding the perfect timing.

A sudden love confession early in the morning to someone he has harbored a secret love for years, Tay would look back at this moment and mourn at his stupidity.