Chapter 1

Like a Tunnel with no Light

Seungmin carefully opened the door of his room and snuck out quietly making sure to not wake up his father. He found him knocked out cold in the living room, with the tv on. Several empty bottles of liquor were scattered around him, and Seungmin tiptoed past him towards the front door. He didn't have time nor the psychological capacity to have breakfast before going to school, so he just grabbed whatever edible thing within his reach which happened to be an apple. He snuck out the front door closing it behind him, and walked to school.

His legs ached like hell from the bruises that covered them, but Seungmin still thought walking was a hundred times better than being on a bus with other kids.

Seungmin was an introverted 12 year old, attending 7th grade at YG high. He never stood out in a crowd. He could easily blend in with people and go unnoticed.

But student council president Kim Woojin thought otherwise. Since the beginning of the term he had thought this child was peculiar. Despite the 6 year difference between them, Woojin had developed an interest in observing him. Maybe due to the fact that Seungmin was always alone and never hung out with other students.

The younger boy was sitting in the library reading a book during lunchtime when Woojin found him. He decided to approach him and try to open a conversation with him, but as soon as Seungmin saw him walking in his direction, he darted away.

Woojin was left confused, scanning the library for Seungmin when he saw a piece of paper on the ground in front of him. He picked it up assuming it probably fell from Seungmin's book. On it were the words "why am I always afraid?" scribbled with a pencil. He noticed that it was actually a piece of a newspaper, and flipped it over to see a picture of a woman, with the letters "ju die" and "ent. or w" below it that supposedly belonged to the headline. He made up his mind to return it to Seungmin later, hoping it would help make him easier to approach.

Fortunately, he saw Seungmin later that day after classes were over. He was sitting on a bench listening to music from his CD player through his earbuds when Woojin sat next to him and cleared his throat. Seungmin saw him and tried to excuse himself but Woojin held his arm softly, accidentally making Seungmin wince.

'I came to give you this. Is it yours?' Woojin asked, showing him the picture.

'Ah, yes. Thank you very much.' He took it from him and then left him quickly before he could say anything else.

Woojin ran to catch up with him. 'Hey! Wait up!'

Seungmin turned to face him, removing his earbuds from his ears. 'What do you want?' He asked annoyed.

Woojin looked sincerely into Seungmin's eyes. 'Hey, uhh.. if there's ever something you need to talk about, just, you can come to me. Consider me as your older brother. I'll always be around if you-'

Seungmin put his earbuds back into his ears and walked away. That son of a pretends he understands everything. He would never understand me. He would never be able to help me. Seungmin thought to himself.

Woojin was taken aback by the younger boy's rudeness, but he noticed something about his eyes. For a brief moment he was sure he saw fear, pain and sadness. Things Woojin believed should not be found in this certain boy's eyes, which were created to hold galaxies in them. He didn't know why but he was determined to save this child whom he barely knew anything about from his misery.

Seungmin left the school and walked down a different route than the one that led to his house. He stopped at a large garage door and knocked on it. It opened from the inside where he found five boys. The only people Seungmin felt comfortable interacting with. And the only human beings he felt safe with, knowing they would never hurt him.

It was Wonpil's house, Seungmin's cousin from his mother's side. He was with his friends who were also his bandmates, they were an underground garage band that called themselves Day6. Seungmin was their number one fan, and sometimes helped them out with their songs.

Each one of them had his own story. The eldest one was Jaehyung, whose rich parents were always going on business trips and leaving him to live with his grandfather, whom he got his smoking problem from. The other 12th grader besides Jaehyung was Sungjin, whose parents were constantly comparing him with his older brother.

The other three boys were a year younger. Younghyun, whose parents were divorced, Wonpil, who was born with mild learning disabilities, and Dowoon, who got into an accident and witnessed his family die in front of him.

They relied on each other like they were a family more than a band. For example, Dowoon would still be on a wheelchair if Jaehyung hadn't paid for his therapy. And Wonpil would have been expelled from school for hitting a teacher that teased Dowoon if Younghyun hadn't held him back and restrained him.

They were also happy to take care of Seungmin like their little brother. Wonpil was always looking out for him and they were all very kind, knowing about Seungmin's social insecurities. But even though Seungmin trusted them, he was never able to tell them, not even Wonpil, about the heavy secrets that were weighing him down.

What he didn't know was that Day6 had been keeping dark secrets from him as well.