prologue

down to 24 hours

11:15 am

 

a huge digital clock flashing a crimson color of numbers indicating the time hung from the ceiling beside the school bell. echoes of professors teaching are heard on the hallways of Quinley Academy, only to be silenced by rapid stomping coming from a student who was running late. 

 

“i wouldn’t, if i were you.”

 

a girl standing beside the door spoke. 

 

“what?” the former slowly losing her momentum finally comes to a halt. “i’m running late. which means, i don’t have the time to hear your bull. move.”

 

the latter raised a brow. “fiesty. do you know i’m blocking this door for your own good? you’ve never been on mr. yang’s class, and it shows. i suggest you skip this class and move on the next one.” she says as a smile slowly forms in her plump lips. she’s never experienced this before— having someone talk back at her; which is basically the reason why she finds the conversation quite interesting.

 

the former scoffs, “how nice of you?” crossing her arms, she examines the latter. blonde hair, bangs, long legs. this person is no doubt the daughter of the owner of the school. she didn’t have to check the latter’s nametag, she knows this person is none other than lalisa manoban. “funny how you have the luxury to skip classes and i don’t. move, lalisa.”

 

lalisa’s smile widened. she called me lalisa? that’s new. the conversation turned from interesting to indulging. “miss....” lisa raises her hands in defeat as she reads the former’s nametag: Kim Jennie. “miss kim. i’m not making you skip class on purpose, i’m helping you avoid detention. see, mister yang right here—“

 

“yeah i don’t give a ”

 

jennie beelines to the door, grabs the handle, and twists the knob. silence eloped in the classroom the moment the door opened. everyone’s attention then turned from the professor, to the two students standing by the door. 

 

“ciao, princess. i have a class to attend.” jennie smirks as she steps into the room. but before she could enter, a low voice spoke. 

 

“get out.”

 

the professor, who appears to be mr. yang crosses his arms in disbelief. “it’s 11:21am. my class starts at 11:00am. the only people i consider my students are those who make it in time. seeing as you don’t, i can’t believe you had the audacity to see me, and enter.”

 

“i’m sorry i was late, sir. it’s becau—“

“we’re terribly sorry, mr. yang!” lisa cuts jennie mid sentence. earning a glare from the doe eyed girl, lisa smiles. “she’s new to your class. she didn’t know.“

 

“detention.” mr yang nonchalantly exhales, pinching the bridge of his nose. mr. yang was one of lalisa’s despised professors for being all too sensitive. the old man not only hates late students but also has a dislike on students distracting him in class. at this point, lisa know what was going happen; she knew better than speak or else it would mean—

 

“detention. both of you.”

 

detention. lisa knew it would mean detention. perhaps she spoke too soon to think about not getting involved in trouble on the first day of class. 

 

“well ” says lalisa, running a hand through her hair.

“ this” says jennie, closing her eyes in defeat.