Chapter One

She's A Monster

I stretched and felt my hand hit the headboard. A  low curse made it’s escape from my mouth and I looked down at ____-ah, hand lying across my chest. The sun peered through the gap in the curtain, draping a line across her face. I pulled the piece of fabric closed but as soon as I moved my hand away the gap returned. In the end I just kept my arm up in that position. As uncomfortable as it was at least the sun wasn’t in her eyes.

This was always the way it had been with me and _____-ah. I was always there to help protect her but when it came to her delivering I could never find her.

If you thought we were together you’d be wrong. Although I’ll admit it does look like that sometimes. But again that’s just how _____-ah acts around me. Cruel I know but I let her do it anyway. It’s like I enjoy the cruelty.

Last night I heard the all too familiar sound of her throwing rocks at my window.

*Tap… tap… tap*

I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to ignore the sound coming from the glass.

*Tap*

I grabbed my pillow and smothered myself with it. Trying to block out the sound all together but somehow the noise found it’s way into my mind.

*Tap*

I threw the pillow and yanked the window up with more force than I realized.

_____-ah smiled up at me and brought her hands up to to whisper.

‘Did I wake you?’ despite living on my own the girl still insists on speaking in a whisper at night. I shake my head at her still angry at the fact that she got me to open the window yet again.

‘What do you want?’ she pouted and made a heart with her hands.

‘Did I make you grumpy, I’m sorry. Shall I make it better?’

‘Go home ____-ah’

‘But I want to spend the night with you’

‘You spent it with me last night’ she gasped and nodded.

‘You’re right. I should move in’ she grinned from ear to ear and I stared at her before a smile split across my face too. No matter how hard I tried anger didn’t stay to long in this relationship we had.

‘Will you hurry and get up here’ she nodded sharply. I watched her disappear into the apartment block entrance two floors beneath my window. When we were younger she would sneak out of her house and into mine without our parents realizing. She’d climb through the window and leave the same way.

Everything was easier back then.

I rubbed my eyes remembering how the night past. At about 5 o’clock ____-ah finally stopped talking and I heard her content breathing confirming she was asleep. I’ve been holding the curtain for about half an hour now and my arms starting to get pins and needles but I won’t move it. Not until she moves first which she does… eventually.

She pulls at the cover and turns over facing away from me so she’s almost pressed against the wall.

I think about wrapping my arm around her but end up getting up instead. I could hold her and push my face into her hair, breathe in her so familiar scent but I already feel irritated from last night. That would just make it worse because yet again she’d be completely oblivious to it. Which is the opposite of what I always hope would happen.

When I come back from the bathroom she’s sitting up in bed, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

‘Morning’ I try and ignore the fact that she’s just in her underwear but without realizing it the thought creeps in. I seat myself at the desk, pick up a pencil and stare at it absently.

‘Hi’ she grins the same way she did last night and comes over to wrap her arms around my neck from behind. She kisses the back of my head and pushed her face into my neck before tightening her arms around me.

‘What were you planning to do today?’ I say trying to get an answer to when she would be leaving but all she does is shrug and sits back on the bed. Again the fact that she’s just in her underwear makes itself prominent in my mind.

I remove the jacket from the chair I’m sat on and pass it to her. She thanks me and pulls it on, shoving her hands into the pockets.

‘Do you have anything planned today?’ I want to make something up. Tell her I have to meet up with friends or I got a phone call while she was sleeping and I have to go into work but I just shake my head.

I could never lie to her…

‘Wanna go watch a movie?’ her voice picks up a touch and I smile.

‘Sure’ I get up and head for the bathroom again. ‘Let me take a quick shower’ she nods and gets up to find her clothes that she disposed of last night.

The last thing I see is her crawling on the floor with her in the air in search of her missing sock.