Rendezvous

Late Courage

 

"Hey, Sooyoung, where are you?"
 
"Oh, my parents' friend's daughter is having a birthday party so I had to go. Sorry I can't come over today, Sunny. You can live without me for a day, right?" I chuckled.
 
"Kinda..." She mumbled. I chuckled again at her response as I imagined her pouting in her room, holding her cellphone against her ear. "I love you.." She said above a whisper.
 
I smiled instantly and blushed. "I love you too." 
 
"Hey, Soo, dance with me? C'mon, I know you're a good dancer." Tiffany dragged my hand, making me stand up.
 
"Yeah, wait, I'll be right there."
 
"Okay, see you on the dance floor." She smiled and I smiled back.
 
"Who was that?" Sunny asked, in a slight tone of jealousy. I bit my lip. Trouble is coming.
 
"That was Tiffany, I grew up with her and we got separated since we moved. So now, I'm catching up with her."
 
"By dancing with her?! Sooyoung, no, if you dance with her, I'm going to give you the silent treatment tomorrow." She said in all one breath due to jealousy. I grinned, having someone to be so afraid of losing you feels nice for a change.
 
"Calm down, it's just a dance okay? I'm sure she doesn't have a crush on me or whatever." I turned back, walking towards the back of the room but really nowhere, just walking as I talk to her.
 
"But still..." She sighed. "Just don't dance if the music turns slow." 
 
"I promise." I smiled. "Okay, gotta go. Bye Sunny. I love you."
 
"Bye Sooyoungie. I love you too." I felt that we smiled at the same time as I closed my phone and walked to the dance floor. 
 
"Ready to dance, Fany-ah?" I said to her back, putting my cellphone in my pocket. She turned with a smile and nodded. But right then, a slow song came on. "Oh." I stopped in my tracks. 
 
"Oh...slow songs with me make you uncomfortable?" She asked, looking a little hurt.
 
"No, No! It's not that, I--uhm.."
 
"We dance to slow songs all the time when we were little kids, Sooyoung." She stated, tugging at my hand. 
 
"I'd love to but--"
 
"Looks like the cutest couple we've ever seen is back together." Her mother announced, using the microphone. Everyone turned to us and we smiled shyly as the position between us with her hand holding mine really looked like it. Everyone smiled at us, waiting for us to the dance floor and start swaying to the music. I even saw my parents across the room, my mom smiling at me as a sign of encouragement and dad telling me to go. 
 
Sunny's gonna kill me.
 
I looked at Tiffany, smiling at her and taking her hand, leading both of us to the middle of the dance floor. She wrapped her arms around my neck and I wrapped my arms around her waist, taking the lead and we stepped and swayed along to slow romantic music. 
 
We avoided eye contact, seeing everybody stare at us and giving us the dance floor. After all, I was dancing with the birthday girl. After glancing around the room, I turned to my dancing partner, seeing as she was just blankly staring at my neck. She was smiling slightly and had a tint of red on her cheeks. 
 
I chuckled and opened my mouth to speak, "You miss this?"
 
She nodded, lifting her head up and smiled. "Ever since we were little kids, huh." 
 
"Yep..." I smiled back. "...why did you have to move anyway...?" I whispered. "Right after I confessed to you." 
 
She looked away and leaned towards me, hiding her face. "I'm sorry..." She whispered back. 
 
"You made me look like an idiot." I chuckled bitterly. "You never even told me."
 
"I didn't mean to hurt you...I just couldn't handle seeing you so sad like that...so it was better for me to just go before I can't even bear to separate from you." She mumbled. Everything turned silent for a while, we just continued to sway along with the music as the adults still stared at us. "...I still love you though..." She whispered so lightly, I couldn't hear it anymore if she toned it done just a little bit. 
 
Sunny. Sunny. Sunny. My heart pounded. 
 
She lifted her face, meeting my eyes and she leaned slowly, placing her forehead against mine and she slowly made her lips move forward. But as I felt her lips just touch mine, I whispered. "I already have a girlfriend." I pulled away. "I'm sorry." The song ended and everyone clapped. I stepped away, with her hand holding mine but I still walked away, leaving her no choice but to let go. 
 
I walked to the table of my family and as I did...there was someone familiar sitting on my chair. I approached slowly, I know that hair style, that dress. "Sunny?" I called out, just behind the chair.
 
She turned her head to meet my face but once she did, she stood up and said, "Don't even talk to me." Then walked away. 
 
I chased her and grabbed her hand. "Wait, what are you even doing here? How did you find this place?" She pulled her hand back and glared at me. 
 
"I asked your parents if I could come and they told me where it was...didn't think that I would arrive finding you with a new girlfriend." She pushed me away and walked away again. 
 
"Sunny, wait!" I called out and chased her until we were outside. "Hey, c'mon..." I grabbed her hand and she just threw my hands away. "Sunny, please don't be like this..."
 
"Why does it matter, you have your new girlfriend. Go to her, I'm just...no one." She mumbled and I felt her tears coming, she was just acting strong. I smiled helplessly and moved in front of her as she covered her face, starting to cry. 
 
I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her in for a hug. She weakened immediately, wrapping her arms around my waist and crying on my shoulder. "Please don't leave me..." She whispered, sniffling. "I love you so much, Sooyoungie...please don't break my heart like this..." She cried. 
 
I rubbed her back as I kissed her shoulder, neck, ear and the top of her head. "I will never." I replied. I pulled away and cupped her crying face, wiping away her tears. "I told you, she's just my childhood friend. Everyone made me dance with her because you know...little girls slow dance with each other. So for old traditions sake." No way am I gonna tell her what she told me. I smiled lightly and wiped more of her tears. She still sniffled, looking at me with eyes that still had a bit of insecurity. "Geez..." I laughed a bit, leaning to kiss her forehead. 
 
She bit her lip, turning her head slightly away and closed her eyes. She bit her lip harder and tears came rushing in, crying even more. "You're lying to me." She cried. "She kissed you..." She mumbled as more tears flowed through her tear-stained cheeks. 
 
"No! No no! Hikari--listen to me." I replied desperately as I tried to turn her back to me. "...okay, i'll be completely honest with you...we weren't just childhood friends then. W-We were the best friends until we were 13 and one day...I confessed to her." 
 
"Mhm!" She cried, pushing me away. 
 
"No wait!" I begged and sighed. I grabbed her hand, holding it tight. "I confessed to her, but she just ran away, as if I disgusted her. The next day, my parents told me that they moved. I was heartbroken; I didn't want to see her ever again." She continued to sob, but didn't try to run away anymore. I stepped closer, taking her other hand, trying to meet her eyes...hoping that she would turn her head that still had tears falling. "2 years later...I met this girl during first day of school...I thought she was a fun person so I hung out with her more, before I knew it we were best friends. A few months later, I found myself falling in love with her." I gently rubbed the back of her palm with my thumb, hoping she'll meet my face any second now. "A year later, I made her too jealous about another girl, and during dismissal, she broke down and started shouting at me, saying that she can't take it anymore and she loves me too." I chuckled. I looked at her face and found her half-smiling, not crying anymore. "I couldn't sleep that night, not believing that she loves me back and I won't do anything to lose her. I promised myself to always love her, and give her what she deserves. No way am I gonna let her go for some person who didn't even want to be with me then...even if her lips touched mine for a second, it was nothing compared to seeing this girl smile." 
 
She finally turned her head...her swollen eyes finally meeting mine and the sunset glowed out on her face, emphasizing her tear-stained cheeks. I smiled slightly, holding her hands even tighter. "I love you, Sunny Bunny."
 
She breathed deeply, just looking at me. She finally smiled, tiptoeing slightly and pecked my lips. "I love you too." I grinned and leaned, capturing her lips for a complete kiss. 
 
She giggled and kissed me back, wrapping her arms around my neck. 
 
---
 
Oh, I wrote this a year ago so sorry if my writing isn't that good. :)