doctor jung.

My Wife is A Gangster

 

 

“Let me guess…this is my wife’s doing again, isn’t it?”

 

The doctor sighed, looking at the mess. The nurses nodded, mopping up the trail of blood on the floor with patients passing by with a gasp. “All she does is get into trouble, does she? Damn, what a wife I have.”

 

This is Jung Eunji, Seoul’s best neurosurgeon.

 

To top it off, she’s got certificates, made it onto the newspapers and has a long list of loyal patients. But life hasn’t been so great for her, especially when she got married…to a gangster.

 

Alright, let’s flashback this story a year back.

 

(insert sound of tape rolling back)

 

There.

 

A year ago, at Seven Life Hospital.

 

It’s a typical day with nothing eventful. Visitors lining up at the counters, waiting to get their health checks, patients resting soundly in their wards, nurses checking their clipboards and doctors ready to serve.

 

Yeah, usual stuff.

 

Until…a whole gang of thugs barged into the ER, immediately gaining the attention of everyone. Placing their master whose head was bleeding onto an empty seat, all of them were covered in blood.

 

“I want a doctor to check on my master right now!” One of the thugs threatened.

 

“You! Get a doctor here right now!” Another snatched a nurse over, causing her to tumble a tray of medical tools onto the floor.

 

Everyone was frozen in fear due to the scary appearance of the thugs. No one wanted to move nor take action. Only few would and that’s Jung Eunji.

 

She heard the ruckus from her office and got out, clearly annoyed. This isn’t the first time she’s handled situations like these anyways. With the rate of crime increasing and the police doing a terrible job at it, she’s has to clean the mess up herself.

 

“I’m a doctor. What do you need?” Eunji replied calmly, bravely standing in front of the thugs.

 

“I can’t let a woman check me. Go find a man.” The master said weakly, refusing her help.

 

“Get us a male doctor!” His henchmen ordered.

 

Eunji clicked her tongue. This was clearly annoying her a whole lot more. She doesn’t have time to deal with these kinds of nonsense.

 

“Look sir, doctors are all the same. We study the same things and know what is best for you. Now, if you don’t let me check on your injuries, we won’t be able to help you.”

 

“Did you not listen to my master? We need a male doctor!”

 

“I’m sorry but that’s gender discrimination. That’s protected under law and surely, I don’t want to call up the police on you- “

 

“Don’t make me do this young lady.” He growled impatiently, willing to throw a fist at her. But Eunji stood there fearless, arms crossed as she raised her head up. “I don’t have time. Please move and let me check on him.”

 

“This - “

 

Just as he was about to land a finger on the doctor, in a flash the man is tossed around and thrown to the floor, causing much surprise to the other men. They began to charge at the doctor who easily deflected their attacks, effortlessly bending backwards and twisting their wrists. One kick and a grab, she threw another man to a corner.

 

The thugs didn’t stop.

 

But they have no idea that this doctor knows how to fight. Five men were no problem. Calmly standing in the center with little movements, she was flexible and agile. Dusting her hands off, the thugs were down on the floor.

 

“W-who are you?” The master gasped in surprise. Never before has he seen a female who can fight so well. The only ones who could were those bearing The Onyx name.

 

“A doctor, obviously.” Eunji smiled with much sarcasm. “Now, please let me check on your injuries.’

 

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

“Wow, congratulations on fighting a bunch of thugs Eunji!” Namjoo cheered with the rest of the staff who clapped. The said doctor entered the pantry as she pressed the coffee machine.

 

She’s used to the attention.

 

“As expected of my sister!” Jung Yerin gave a thumbs up, even though she knows Eunji is going to get summoned to the office again.

 

“Good luck dealing with your father! If I were you, I'd be scared of getting fired.” Bomi chuckled, giving a pat of comfort to her friend before heading off for an operation.

 

Eunji groaned, clearly not needing that reminder. But she knows her father will never do that.

 

Jung Boseok is a man who showers each and every one of his children with love. He isn’t your typical man who never came home. He always made time and followed the philosophy of a perfect work-life balance. Receiving a beep from her phone, Eunji was expecting a message. And, she was right. One from her younger brother, Ilhoon.

 

“Hey sis, dad called you to the office...as usual. Good luck, you’ll need it!”

 

Taking a sip from her coffee as she casually lounged at the seats with the rest of her interns, she was not nervous nor scared. She’s taking her sweet time because moments like these are precious. Later in the day, she’s going to power through two operations. There goes another day of not going home. She’s beginning to forget what her bedroom looks like now.

 

With a bit of dilly-dally, Eunji finishes her cup of coffee after chatting around, mapping out a schedule in her head, forming the perfect words to fight against her father and she’s off to the office. Two knocks on the door and the doctor greets Boseok with a smile. He instructs her to sit at the couch which is a common place to have father-daughter conversations.

 

“I know what you did today and no- I’m not going to scold you. You’re not sixteen. I don't need to repeat the same thing over and over again. You know better.”

 

“Well, that’s a relief.”

 

“Day after day, you just seem to be getting more attention. It’s impressive. You have something that makes you stand out from your other siblings.”

 

“Dad, I thought we aren’t supposed to compare each other.” Eunji frowned.

 

“I’m not. I’m just…pointing it out. Your act today went viral on social media and I thought I might have to use my connections to have it removed. But seems that I don’t have to, after all.” The man chuckled. “You’re slowly becoming into what the current generation say, a celebrity doctor. It has heads turning to our hospital, in a positive way.”

 

“Not sure if fame is good thing or not, dad. I’m just doing what’s right.” Eunji shrugged, although she would be lying if she wasn’t enjoying that bit of attention.

 

She rarely uses social media but the number of followers she has, rose by a significant amount in a span of a year. The doctor has appeared on television a couple of times, scored a television commercial for a pharmacy brand and occasionally gets recognized on the streets. It was that short moment of fame that lasted during her early twenties when the public’s eye was focused on the Jung’s new generation of doctors. Those were good times but the fire has died down since Eunji got a higher position with heavier responsibilities.

 

People still know her as the smart doctor who fights; brain and action into one.

 

But unfortunately, she’s a doctor who has zero experience in romance. A lonely woman who spends her whole life in the hospital and doomed to turn into a thirty-year old bachelorette; or so that’s what they say. Rumors are rumors.

 

Eunji’s the type to not give a . She’s got better things to focus her attention on; like her patients, schedule-packed operations and her cute group of interns that she’s currently grooming.

 

“That’s why I called you not to scold you about the incident that happened this morning." Boseok moved uncomfortably in his seat, knowing it will be a difficult topic to bring up. “You’re not going to like what I’m going to say.” His tone lowered.

 

“Are you going to transfer me?”

 

“No.”

 

“Then, it can’t be anything worse. As long as I’m staying here, that’s fine dad.”

 

“You’re getting married.”

 

“Oh. Wait…” Eunji stared at her father dumbfoundedly, blinking her eyes in silence as she tried to process everything. “Marriage?!”

 

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

 

Jung Yerin, the youngest of the Jung family.

 

She’s working her way to reach the level of her excellent siblings. Now an intern under her sister’s care, the woman has been learning many things in the practical field and her father always emphasized that there is no pressure. She should go at her own pace.

 

It’s the privilege of being the pampered youngest.

 

Her eldest sister, Jung Sooyeon a.k.a Dr. Jessica is a well-known orthopedist who is currently in the United States, happily married to another doctor as they run the American branch of Seven Life. The eldest brother, Jung Taekwoon is a trauma surgeon who occasionally works at Seven Life but has other priorities that Boseok assigned him to do. His siblings say that he is father’s slave but the man disagrees.

 

The third sister, Jung Soojung or, Dr. Krystal is also in the U.S, stationed in the psychiatric department of Jessica’s hospital. The two of them are super close so it’s not a surprise.

 

That leaves with Eunji, younger brother Ilhoon and sister Yerin to manage Seven Life in Seoul, the headquarters. 

 

Although the family is scattered and busy with their own lives, they often do video calls over the weekend to give updates. Usually, they are business meetings with Boseok, but occasionally it’s the casual talk that she misses a lot.

 

Nowadays, medicine isn’t just about healing people. It’s a business too.

 

“Oh look, it’s you again.”

 

Yerin turned around to see her friend, Namjoo leading a tall woman over to one of the emergency wards and pulling the curtains over. She giggled, knowing that it is the famously dubbed “Namjoo’s loyal patient” who comes to the ER at random hours to patch her wounds.

 

She doesn’t have a name and always looks for Namjoo. She refuses to let any other nurse to patch her up. A mysterious woman who comes into the hospital with blood all over, rumors has it that she’s a thug or even a bodyguard.

 

But no one knows really knows.

 

“Really? I just closed this last week?!” The nurse exasperated as she ed the woman’s shirt only to see that the stitches from last week were re-opened. There’s blood slowly gushing out and...there are new wounds.

 

“Sorry.” The woman shrugged. “Just hurry up and fix it. I’m in a rush.”

 

“You’re always in a rush.” Namjoo scoffed, hands already busy.

 

The nurse was so busy on fixing her wound that she did not notice the mysterious woman silently smiling at her. It’s those ten minutes of silence that is somewhat comforting and peaceful.

 

“Alright, done.”

 

“Great. Thanks!” The woman quickly buttons back her shirt and before Namjoo could say anything else, she dashes out of the ER.

 

“Hey-! Damn, she runs ing fast.” The nurse frowned, angrily throwing the tweezers back onto the metal tray.

 

“Guess you didn’t manage to get her name, again.” Yerin said with a chuckle, coming over to help clean the bloody stains on the floor. “You ever wonder if she’ll die one day?”

 

“She better not! She still hasn’t paid for the fees!”

 

“Well, her debt is going to keep piling up anyway.” Yerin laughed, turning around as she catches Bomi coming out from the lift.

 

As usual, she looks exhausted. The first operation of the day must’ve gone well.

 

“Want some water?” Namjoo asked, pushing the metal cart back as the woman shook her head in reply.

 

“How the hell does Eunji perform her surgeries so damn fast? The speed of her hands and accuracy, it’s scary.” Bomi mumbled, collapsing her body onto a chair. Even though she wants a break, her hands are automatically flipping through the record book to check the next schedule. “Oh yeah, did that lady come today?”

 

“What, you mean my patient?”

 

“No. The pretty one. Doesn’t she usually come with her sometimes?”

 

“Well, luck’s not on your side today buddy. She came alone this time. Should've taken the chance when you had it, just saying.”

 

Bomi sighed, closing the book. She stood up, did a few stretches and got ready to head back to work.

 

“Operation two?”

 

Bomi nodded in response, waving goodbye to the two interns as she decided to take the stairs instead.

 

“I think the whole hospital knows about Bomi’s obvious crush.” Yerin whispered over, rolling her chair to Namjoo’s side as they were doing paperwork.

 

“And she’s too chicken to even ask her name.”

 

“Please.” Yerin scoffed. “Why don’t you say that to yourself-ouch!”

 

“Let’s go back to work.” Namjoo cleared after pretending that she did not just jab Yerin’s elbow with a pen.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

Eunji looked at the clock hung onto the wall of the operating theatre.

 

It’s two in the morning and she can tell from the faces of her assistants; they are exhausted. Well, it’s explainable. They’ve been on for six hours straight without any breaks. But luckily, they’re almost at the end. All that’s left is to close up and they’re done for the day.

 

As her fingers move fast, she remembers her father’s words and it makes her uncomfortable. It’s just way too sudden and far too random. Eunji knows her father well and obviously there has to be a hidden intention for it.

 

She’s pretty sure its business related, otherwise arranged marriages won’t work like that. It could be a marriage to strengthen the relations of another well-known hospital in the country, blah blah blah, well, to Eunji, it’s whatever.

 

Her father talked some sense and she’s considering it.

 

Eunji is almost reaching her thirties soon. While yes, she’s an established doctor but her future remains bleak when it comes to settling down. Look at her sister Jessica for example. She’s happily married, has an American citizenship and owns her own hospital. Her brother, Taekwoon has a long-time girlfriend of seven years but he’s too busy to tie the knot just yet.

 

And what about her?

 

All Eunji’s got is work, work, work. Maybe marriage will add a little spice and fun to her life. Maybe she will learn something more than just operations and procedures.

 

“Good work everyone. Have a good rest.”

 

Eunji bowed to her assistants, removing her gown, gloves and washed everything up. She looks back at the clock again and suddenly, it’s four in the morning. It’s strange how her body has gotten used to not having enough sleep.

 

Squatting outside an empty operation theatre, the doctor has zoned herself out.

 

Staring into space, she’s thinking about her future years from now. The fact that she’s going to get married soon, the person that she’s going to be married to, whether she’ll be able to love that person back, it’s a lot to take in.

 

“Is there anyone who has a blood type of B positive?!” Bomi yelled at the corridor, certainly in a hurry.

 

Eunji’s surprised that she’s still awake and working. Looks like they’ve got an emergency patient who was in a car accident.

 

“I’m blood type B. Take me.”

 

Bomi stared at her with a straight face. “Excuse me doctor, I cannot accept donors who do not at least have 6 hours of sleep and is well-minded. Clearly, no one’s gonna take blood in your current condition.”

 

“Right…right…how long will it take from the blood bank?” Eunji sighed, arms on her waist.

 

“Half an hour. We ain’t got time. Luckily, your brother happened to be nearby so he’s ready to go.”

 

“Taekwoon oppa?”

 

“Yeah. Damn, if we don’t get a donor quick, the child might die-“

 

“I’m B type.” A lady walked over, leaving Bomi a bit surprised at her appearance. No one knew where she came from, as if she was hiding among the shadows.

 

“Y-You…” The nurse stuttered, happy to see her but quickly returned back to her senses. “Okay! Please come with me.” Bomi lead the lady into a room and prepared the equipment. Tapping on the syringe, she positioned the needle and carefully injected it through her veins.

 

Surprisingly, she didn’t flinch or make a single sound. It’s as if she’s used to pain.

 

“Okay. Done. Thanks a lot!” Bomi smiled, carrying the bag of blood and rushing to the operation theatre. But she remembered her conversation with Namjoo today and suddenly halted her steps. She can’t miss this chance.

 

“By the way, could I at least get your name?”

 

“What for?”

 

“Err…I need to register your name as a donor?” Bomi muttered, celebrating inside because she knows that is just the perfect excuse.

 

“It’s Naeun. Son Naeun.”

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

Eunji isn’t sure how long she’s slept. The memories from last night were blurry and next thing, she’s leaned backwards on her chair. The light filtering through the curtains and the soft murmurs of nurses and doctors outside, it’s probably around ten in the morning.

 

She’s got four patients scheduled for an appointment later in the afternoon and then, an operation in the evening. Time doesn’t wait.

 

Deciding that she’s going to need another mug of coffee, Eunji dusted her coat and headed out to the corridor. Greeting fellow doctors, nurses and interns passing by, she noticed a loud ruckus in one of the wards.

 

“Like I said, I don’t know anything!” A man begged, cornered by a woman who threatened him with a blade.

 

“ing lies. You ran away with all of our money. How dare you try to embezzle all of the funds for your own greed!”

 

“Excuse me, I understand that you’re angry but it would be safer if you put that knife down, ma’am.” Eunji stepped in, calmly raising her hands in surrender as she carefully approached the woman.

 

“I’m sorry but this is our own private affair. Please don’t interfere, thank you.” She brushed it off, still pointing the blade at the man who was at the edge. “Either you tell us where it went, or pay it with your life!”

 

“God, I hope I don’t die today,” Eunji swore under her breath as she attempted to snatch the blade away from the woman’s wrist. But she has fast reflexes and luckily, the doctor managed to dodge a deadly attack. A second later and she might lose . “I really do not want to call the police on you. Please put the knife down and we can talk.”

 

“Police? Do you even know that your hospital is put under my protection?” The woman scoffed, looking down on the doctor who stared back with confusion.

 

“What?”

 

She rolled her eyes, not wanting to waste time by explaining the whole story. Well, it’s just business anyway.

 

“Eunji. Let the woman go.” Boseok said, standing by the door with Taekwoon and another man whom she has never seen before.

 

“Father? Oppa? W-what the hell is going on?”

 

“This is interesting. I can’t believe my little sister has already met her fiancée in such a situation.” Taekwoon chuckled as both women stared at each other with wide, confused eyes.

 

“What??!!” Both of them shouted in unison.

 

 

 


 

A/N: 

 

To my fellow readers, welcome to another eunrong story! To those who randomly came across this, welcome to a new journey! There will be two parts to the introduction chapter; one from the perspective of the Jungs, the other from the Park. There isn't going to much Eunrong interaction yet but more progression to the side couples first. But don't worry, this is just the mere beginning of good eunrong moments ;) 

Do leave your comments about what you think about the first chapter so far, I love to read them! In the mean time, see you in the second chapter where we look from Chorong's perspective a.k.a The Onyx criminal organisation.