Strangers

Moon: Winter Hearth Drabble Project
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Context: In which Wendy and Irene are strangers. 

Warning: Despite the title... it is actually fluffy... Oh and... Happy Valentine's Day to those who can relate to it (like wenrene) Hah!

 

There was nothing dramatic about Wendy’s life, ever. She was never caught up in romantic affairs, never faced extremities in emotions, and that made Wendy think she was broken, until she was broken-in. The one who broke into her heart was Irene, a stranger whom she had met on the bus and their meeting was like the cue for all dramatic things to befall upon Wendy at the same time.  

It was almost a typical day except that Wendy had left her workplace earlier than usual and was commuting back home from her work in a rather packed bus. Packed in a way that there were no more seats left. Wendy had been standing and was reading her book when the bus braked sharply and Wendy found a stranger thrown into her arms.

Wendy blinked. She had not really noticed the pretty girl by her side earlier however her body had reacted so quickly upon instincts that she had surprised even herself and the flow of electricity during that moment of contact had shocked her even more.

“I-I’m sorry, I lost my balance,” the beautiful stranger apologised, her voice sounded really soft.

“No, that is okay,” Wendy replied, kept her book in her bag and stared ahead, trying to ignore the feeling she had earlier.

It had begun to drizzle.

From her peripheral vision, Wendy saw a small plastic bag dangling by the stranger’s wrist and noticed that there were medicines in it. Wendy realised belatedly that the girl had felt unusually warm when their bodies had made contact earlier and that the girl must have been sick. Whatever it was, Wendy felt compelled to look out for the stranger.

The commute felt especially long and Wendy kept side-eyeing the stranger next to her who seemed to pale by the second. She must have caught her stares and returned it. At that moment, Wendy thought her heart had caught in . This stranger was so beautiful despite her pallor, they shared a small, awkward smile with one another before looking away again.

They reached a stop before a campus and student commuters flooded into the bus. The stranger was pressed against Wendy in spite of herself. Wendy’s heart pounded so hard that Wendy feared the stranger could feel it. Wendy cursed herself and made a mental note to never knock off from work at this timing.

“Sorry…” the stranger whispered and Wendy shook her head stiffly to convey that it was okay.

They both tur

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter