« I. Blue Cornflower »

Of Flowers and Feelings

« note: this part is fast paced since it'll only give the background of the characters. Also, this part is like an opening for the book »

 

***

 

All Minhyuk knows is that he has this unique friendship with Hyungwon until one night of winter, he throws a fit full of blue, average-sized cornflowers.

 

***


It was when he first entered the university. He saw a tall, lanky and undeniably pretty boy who was fortunately his classmate for the rest of the years. Minhyuk thought he's attractive physically and they've gotten close, Minhyuk thought even his personality and his mentality is really attractive, too.

He managed to get through the first year without feeling anything special with the said boy, Minhyuk did well on avoiding his feelings for Hyungwon. However, sophomore year became really hectic, or atleast for him. Hyungwon became his classmate (seatmate) on every subject, he thought it's even harder to focus on class already and he couldn't deny his own feelings anymore.

Junior year, Minhyuk's admiration grew bigger, it was already infatuation. He shamelessly flirt with Hyungwon knowing that they're very close and that the younger will just treat everything as a joke. For a fact, it hurts Minhyuk thinking that Hyungwon only sees him as a joke but he's somewhat happy, at least he can do things the others can't, that's all that matters.

However, Senior year was really hard for Minhyuk. The past three years was always him and Hyungwon, it was all about their friendship, it was all about them hanging out, it was all about Hyungwon lazily listening to Minhyuk's loud stories, they were happy, Minhyuk thought they are perfect. However Hoseok, an undeniably good-looking transferee came into the picture.

"So... Is it alright if I join you guys?" Minhyuk almost snorted when he heard Hoseok's voice again. He may be older but "damn boi I can't respect him because he always ruin my time with Hyungwon" as Minhyuk thought before.

"Why do you ask everyday, hyung?" Minhyuk follows Hyungwon's eyes as it looks up to Hoseok, "I told you, you can join us everyday. It's alright with me, and Minhyuk?"

No, it is definitely not alright.

God knows how much Minhyuk wanted to say what he truly thinks about the guy. But instead he pulls out a toothy smile, almost looking like a grin and then he nodded enthusiastically. It's not as if he's not used to pretending. "Why would it be not alright anyways, right?"

And it become one of the times when their lunch became a field for Minhyuk to be silent for quite a while.

***

"It had been always Minhyuk and Hyungwon. Then what happened?" It was one of those Sundays when Kihyun will visit Minhyuk on his apartment. He'll go and fill his refrigerator because why not when they're twins anyway right?

"I remember that Kihyun doesn't say anything about Minhyuk and Hyungwon, what happened?"

"Then maybe Kihyun had a change of heart, we'll never know." The smaller of the twin shrugged, "Now, Minhyuk had to answer his question. What happened with Minhyuk and Hyungwon?"

It was Minhyuk's time to shrug, "Whoever had a change of heart between the two of them, we'll never know."

And Kihyun decided not to bug the hell out of his older brother because what else can he get aside from information?

***

"Do you have plans tonight?" Minhyuk straight out asks Hyungwon because it had been a while since their last hangout, sure it was because of Hoseok who always clings around.

And it is winter, the day when it first snows, Minhyuk loves cuddles and he knows that Hyungwon is always willing to throw his arms on the older. Minhyuk really miss cuddling the younger plus, it'll be really cold later that night. Also, the fact that Hyungwon will be with him on the first snow made his insides bubble.

"Tonight? Are we going somewhere later?" Minhyuk saw how Hyungwon's eyes confusedly blinked, then he thought it was a cute gesture, well, Hyungwon is always adorable anyways.

"No, we're not going somewhere!" He let out a toothy smile. "I just thought it's Friday and it had been very long since we last did our Friday Movies' routine?"

Minhyuk swore that he felt mad when Hyungwon immediately bit his lips and scratched his nape, "Oh, yeah. Friday Movies' routine." Hyungwon nodded, "But hyung, I'm afraid I won't be able to come tonight."

Suddenly, Minhyuk feels sullen.

"And why is that?" Minhyuk already knows, but he asks anyway.

"I already made plans with Hoseok hyung later, I'm sorry."

Minhyuk's mood went from 100 to 0, that quick. What else can make Minhyuk's mood drop so fast aside from Hoseok ruining his quality time with Hyungwon?

"Ah, is that so?" Hyungwon once again nodded, "I guess we'll skip today, too, what did I even expect? Enjoy your day."

Minhyuk ran off, away from Hyungwon, away from all the heartache, away from all the pain.

It was later that day when Minhyuk enjoys himself watching on netflix while his back is slumped on the headboard of his bed when he suddenly felt something rising up his throat, it makes him unable to breathe.

He ran to the bathroom and released all of it. Once he saw the contents of it, hot tears rolled through his cheeks.

Blue Cornflowers. The toilet is filled with average-sized cornflowers.

That night, Minhyuk cried himself to sleep because of the pain he's feeling.

***

« tbc »

« a blue cornflower means friendship. it is also the flower that appeared on monsta x's mvs »