end

i don't know what to say (you take my breath away)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tzuyu thought Mina was adorable. From the way she tucked her hair behind her ear when she was trying to nail a particularly difficult part on her bass to the way her entire expression melted as soon as she bit into a chocolate cornet -- Tzuyu thought she was absolutely, utterly, incredibly adorable.

At first, it was just an observation she had silently made while looking at her during one of their first rehearsals. But then she made the same observation every single time she saw her, and now it had become a natural part of her daily thought process. Mina-unnie is adorable, Mina-unnie is cute, Mina-unnie smells nice, Mina-unnie is just like a penguin.

I like Mina-unnie.

Of course, Tzuyu didn’t hold back verbally either. “You’re cute, Mina-unnie.” She had said once when they were sitting next to each other during lunchtime. Mina had flushed immediately ( just like a ripe tomato, Tzuyu had thought fondly) and only managed to cover her face with both hands in response.

She never really managed to say much more than that. Mina wasn’t too used to direct compliments, after all, even though Tzuyu couldn’t understand why. Frankly, she thought that Mina deserved all of the compliments in the world.

“Jeongyeon-unnie,” Tzuyu said once while they were alone in the studio, “How do I tell Mina-unnie I like her?”

Jeongyeon paused in the middle of packing her drumsticks. Tzuyu looked at her expectantly, gaze unwavering.

“I think you should tell her in a way that you feel is right.” Jeongyeon finally said, beaming at her abstract answer, “You’re a very honest girl, Tzuyu-ya. She’d get it.”

“Hm.” Tzuyu respomded, clearly deep in thought, “What I feel is right, huh?”

 

 

The Bread Box wasn’t very crowded that afternoon. Tzuyu sat down at one of the tables directly outside the bakery, chewing the chocolate cornet she was holding with an intense amount of concentration. After all, it was a taste that Mina loved so much, so Tzuyu figured she would try to eat it like she would.

“Are you having a chocolate cornet too, Tzuyu?” Mina’s voice was so soft that it took Tzuyu a few moments to realize that she was actually there. She took a seat beside Tzuyu, holding her own chocolate cornet.

This is my chance. Tzuyu thought, Confess in a way that feels right.

“Yeah,” Tzuyu replied, smiling, “You always looks so happy when you eat them.”

Mina would definitely understand her feelings, right?

“I do?!” Mina sputtered, cheeks turning red immediately. She took a bite of her cornet, and the embarrassment on her expression was immediately replaced with pure bliss. “Mmmm, it’s so good.” She said, taking another bite.

“Mmmm, it’s so good.” Tzuyu echoed after a bite of her own.

The fiery blush returned to Mina’s cheeks, “Tzuyu-ya, are you copying me?”

Tzuyu nodded, “I thought they might taste even better if I eat them like you do.”

Mina just lowered her head, ears and neck turning even a deeper shade of red.

Did Mina receive her feelings? Tzuyu wasn’t sure. How much more obvious could she make it to her? She had even copied her exact expression and words while eating a chocolate cornet. Wasn’t that telling enough?

“They do taste better.” Tzuyu commented, offering Mina an encouraging smile, “Thank you, Mina-unnie. I’ll eat them just like you from now on.”

Mina finally returned her smile -- albeit shyly -- and Tzuyu felt her heart burst.

I like you, Mina-unnie.

 

 

After trekking up the hill with Jeongyeon, Tzuyu had finally found Chaeyoung sitting by the shrine, watching the fireworks. The entire band had gotten separated while trying to face the crowds of the fireworks festival, and Tzuyu and Jeongyeon had finally made it to Chaeyoung’s secret spot.

It didn’t take long for Mina and Sana to find them either. Tzuyu watched as Mina shuddered in fright after each explosion of a firework. She wanted to hug her, to envelop her in warmth and safety so that she wouldn’t be afraid of the explosions anymore. Instead, she outstretched her hand towards her.

“Mina-unnie,” Tzuyu said, “Hand.”

Mina looked away from the fireworks and at Tzuyu’s outstretched hand. “Wh-what about it?” She asked, looking at her confusion.

“My hand… you should hold it. It’ll help you relax.” Tzuyu inclined her head to the side, keeping her arm outstretched.

“Tzuyu…” Mina trailed off, before reaching forward and intertwining her fingers with Tzuyu’s.

Mina’s hand felt so small in her palm. Tzuyu glanced down at their interlocked hands. Butterflies swarmed her stomach, and she felt a warmth spread throughout her body like tendrils of a fire. It reminded her of how she felt when she pet and held her dogs. They were so soft.

Mina was so soft.

She looked past Mina only to catch Jeongyeon’s stare. Jeongyeon offered her an encouraging smile before turning away from them.

“Do you feel better?” Tzuyu asked Mina.

“A little bit…” Mina trailed off, squeezing Tzuyu’s hand when another colorful firework exploded in the sky.

Tzuyu wasn’t sure if this counted as a confession. She hadn’t intended it to be one -- she just wanted to hold Mina’s hand to help her. She looked down at their joined hands, as if she could silently will her feelings towards her through their connected fingers.

She looked back up at Mina, who was now staring up at the sky, her entire face alight with the glow of the fireworks. She was so pretty and bright, like a lamp that shone in the middle of a dark street, or a star atop of a Christmas tree. They seemed like such mundane comparisons, but it was exactly how Tzuyu felt.

Perhaps this counted as half a confession

I like you, Mina-unnie. Tzuyu thought, squeezing her hand.

 

 

“It’s so pretty, like the sound of a wind chime.”

Tzuyu and Mina were downtown after school, near the coffee shop. A metal wind chime hung near the entrance of the coffee shop, tinkling softly every time the breeze picked up. It reminded Tzuyu of Mina’s name, of Mina’s gentle laugh.

“What is it?” Mina asked.

“Minari.” Tzuyu told her, smiling.

As exp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter