Chapter 30: The End

Stockholm Syndrome
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Ha Neul, what are you doing here?”, Ji Eun’s mother asked, shocked. He was holding onto walls in pain. Her mother ushered him inside. Ji Eun went down and rushed at the sight of him. “Your bandages are all open”, she checked before searching for a first aid kit box. When Ji Eun’s father came to the picture, his wife tries to explain to him but he gave no response and just walked closer to him. When Ji Eun came with the first aid kit box, she paused looking at her father. “Clean up his wounds and make sure he leaves after that”, he instructed.

            Ha Neul grabbed his hand, “Can I talk to you, please? I will get away from your family but please, just hear me out this once”, he begged, getting up from his seat to kneel on the floor but her father stopped him. “Clean his wounds and I will consider it”, he said as he walked away. Ji Eun rushed to Ha Neul while her mother went to see her husband. “Why did you come here when you’re not properly healed?”, she asked. He kept quiet while she attended to his wounds.

            After a series of hissing and flinching, her father went down and instructed Ji Eun to leave. “Speak up”, he said coldly as soon as Ji Eun was out of sight. “I apologize”, he started while trying to kneel on the floor. “Don’t sweat it, just sit normally, I’m not a cruel king”, her father remarked after seeing his attempt. “I- she was supposedly a decoy, I was supposed to release her right after two days of her missing to disrupt the pattern of investigator, we didn’t want it to be linked to my father or my mother, I- I, honestly, whatever I explain to you will be no use, it is my fault for everything”, he ended up saying. “Why do you still check on her after she you release her?”, he asked. “Do you think I don’t recognize you? I see you almost everywhere around her”, her father confronted. Ha Neul looked to see his face, shocked.

            “I’ve always wanted to apologize and- and fix things for her, especially after the damage she has been through. I tried following her every time she goes back alone, especially at night because I know how afraid and frantic she can be. I felt like it is my responsibility to take care of her, ever since I took her. I am truly sorry. Please know that I am trying all I can to make it up and I know I can never fully make up for all I did.” He stopped. Her father hummed in response.

            “I tried to avoid her, so I thought watching her would be enough. Then, I realized at the restaurant, she stayed late and sometimes sleep there because she was scared. So, I decided to get back to work so that I can watch over her.”, he paused. “Do you have something to do with her getting the job?”, her father asked. He nodded. “I knew she likes baking, so I proposed a dessert team and handed the flyer only to her to places I know where she will go and read it”, he answered honestly.

            “She mentioned she almost died during the kidnapping, tell me about it”, her father asked. “she told me she was in confusion because she wasn’t being abused like the other victims, so, she was prepared for the worse. I didn’t do anything to her that made her go insane, so, she thought killing herself would be the best option since she felt nobody loves her, and she just found out she was adopted. Naturally, she felt as if she doesn’t deserve living.”, he paused. “She was obedient that day, unlike other days where she rebelled and protested. I sensed something was wrong then I heard water splashing from the toilet when I went out from the room for a little while. I thought I lost her when I saw her body slowly lifted to the surface, I did everything and she started breathing again. She went in again but I took her in my embrace and let her hit me, I knew she hated me and I, not in a million years would deserve someone like her”, he ended up saying.

            “Go home and rest” was the only thing her father said before leaving him alone. Ji Eun went to him as soon as her father left. “I’m sorry”, she whispered, opened to say more word but her father called her name, cautioning her to stay away while her mother helped him out. “This does not mean I approve the both of you but I am thankful you have taken care of my Ji Eun”, she said. He nodded and thanked her as well for everything. Before he entered the cab, she touched his arm, “don’t worry, I will try to talk to my husband. Until then, you better take care of your wounds”, she advised him.

            ***

            Ji Eun accompanied her father to the hospital for another check-up after his recent heart attack. He, himself was surprised he did not get any when Ha Neul drop the issue. She made time to meet with the Kwons who had already know the issue between them. Her father came to her and ended up talking to Mrs Kwon. “Ji Eun-ah, could you buy me some drinks?”, she politely asked her. She agreed knowing that she must have something to say. When she left. Her father broke the silence, “if this is about Ha Neul, I do not want to hear it”, he said. “Well, I am in luck because I am not talking about him”, she answered. He looked at her, knowing he made a fool out of himself.

            “My point of view is that, you’re extremely attached to your daughter, both you and your w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter