Prologue

My First Girlfriend

Hitomi's Point Of View


Ever wondered how you ended up with a good friend? And ever pondered how absurd she could be? Hm, I've done all about that as for my weird acquaintance, Choi Yena. She was a freshman before, and she took gladdened care of me when I was still a very shy junior. Now, she could've acted way too intimate with me when we go along and other friends would trifle by; and she spilled secrets of embarrassing experiences and childhood tales to others and--and nobody told her to!

Right by the 'joyous' moment, we were strolling through a particular hallway. But this was not the first hallway she pursued me into venturing through. I mean, it's only a walled bridge where students either tramp with books heavily clutched with their labor or there are few who actually march like a civilized person--not like those who would create a mess with their sonorous noises that a teacher will tail behind them and scold.

Believe it or not, I was the first choice, but Yena was riling the second pick and the one who's making all the discord by weirdly pointing to other girls, questioning me by smirks and suggestive eyeful looks, and whistling like an oddball.

She was strange, really. Since when did she become an awe-inspiring matchmaker? She hauled me in this kind of a situation before where we're in our boisterous school canteen--though we never cared to listen to youthful disturbances--eating peacefully, and that's the sense of normalcy I'd like to accomplish on my account. And out of the blue, there has to be something awfully curious to break through, right? Yes, out of the ocean blue, she swam hardly up to ask unnaturally, which was not like her, but now she was embracing the new form.

"Hey Hii-chan. What kind of girl do you like to date?" Yena looked at me and asked while the time she held her head down to curve her eyes and pace with my height, she nibbled on her sandwich.

Just please, I didn't have to have the want of biting hard into my fork and leave me choking against the curious buzz.

"What kind of question is that?" I replied, swallowing scantly of my gelatin that seemed to be stuck for some time in my throat. All I needed to do was to grunt with difficulty facing my failed doom and Yena's unfamiliarity. "Why would I...want to date?" I hummed, drinking my bottled water so I wont have to gag again, since my throat was kind of dry.

Yena munched her sandwich to the last bit and pouted, smacking her lips annoyingly. She was going to brighten up my sudden gloom. Like that's going to work.

"Oh, come on. Lighten up a bit. We're in highschool, and it's not always about reviewing through books with thick pages--"

"--but that's what school is for: studying." I continued and broke her abrupt point-taking.

"No, you see the girls around you? Some might like you." Yena said, happily. "Love is in the air. There are perfect matches for you."

"Yena, why. This isn't a dating show or something out of the television. These students want to struggle out from school, and do NOT want to date anyone." I spoke, eyes squinted. "I don't really care about dating. Doesn't it waste your time with studies? There are priorities, Yena."

"Oh, my lovely friend who's a smarty-pants. Life was made from love, you were made from love, and your love interests were made from...yeah, love," she said, and I heard her voice crack. She was very much unsure of where her count was drifting off to. "Why can't you believe me: there are probably several girls who'd want to date you? It's like an anime, a harem soon to come. But you're a charitable girl, so one girl is enough for you!" she glowed, and sighed dreamily.

 

Her eyes trailed to someone and I could not seem to stop my amusement.

"Hey thespian, why are you looking at Yuri-senpai? If I don't want neither of a harem nor a single girl, I might as well end our talk." I smirked. Yena snapped from her trance, away from my other senior and frowned.

"Okay, Hii-chan," she grimaced. "You can end our talk if you just answer my question. I'm not going to ask anymore. You're really a hard one to get."

"Fine. I guess I like someone who's soft and delicate. That they actually take care of you, and won't leave you out in the open. They'll know how to lead you." I answered, finally cooling off. "Can we end our talk now? Classes are starting." I knew Yena heard my urge to go back and prepare for the next class, but she eyed me and idly smiled.

"Let's get you a girl," Yena responded--and wait, why am I not sitting anymore? And why am I out of the noisy canteen? A hallway?

Before I knew it, she already clutched on my hand and strongly pulled me away from my bench, deserting my unfinished gelatin specked in a cup. I really wanted to finish it. It was to help me to sweeten up my bothersome moment with Yena.

And that's what happened to the both of us. Yena persuaded me as soon as we bolted out of the canteen, to elect good-looking girls for my taste. I couldn't sway my head a 'no' anymore. All I could do is breathe a small sigh. I won't be getting out of this situation anytime soon.

Yena would just mark her faint finger to any girl she looked at. She was probably to get their contacts or something and not for me. Silly friend, I know what you're disguising.

Yena stopped on her tracks and stretched a joyful grin. A girl passed by, and she started to spot on her.

"Hey, how about her? She's a pretty senpai and also a Japanese, you know. Jurina-eonnie? She's the sporty type too." she said loosely while doting on her. "Part of the basketball team and a sort of a flirt."

"Are you sure you just picked her because you're the one who likes a girl like that?" I complained and panted a soft grunt. "Pass."

"Awh, man. You're no fun! No-jam nerd." Yena gloomed and yanked me to another girl for her to apparently feast her eyes on.

"How about this Kim Doa? She's gifted and really cute. But a bit badass, 'cause she has her own motorbike and imagine the places she could take you to." she beamed, and I uttered awkwardly at sight; "I refuse." 

"You'll grow single if you're still being like this. Not even a first heartbreak. That's sad." she hummed in a very sad but mocking accent. "I can't imagine my sweet Hii-chan without someone when she grows up and turns into her first twenty."

"Like I care," I pouted and sighted at her with a sullen look. I felt a vigorous tug on my arm, and I guessed Yena was at it again as her being stout and stubborn.

"Ow--hey! You know I can walk. Stop dragging me." I hissed, and her hand was fixated on my arm still. "I'm going to have bruises later."

"How about this cute-looking girl?" she eagerly pin-pointed at a small looking student, who's name was Yabuki Nako--another friend who has a miniscule height of 149.9 centimeters. I'd quote that she was the shortest pupil at our school, and that was pretty delightful information about her.

Yena lightened to me with excitedly agaped. But before she could escape another stupidly excited squeal, I stirred and glared at her; "She's my friend. And her height can't match up to mine for any affection. We can never work out."

And we both stimulated laughter and piqued without restraint, until someone agilely encountered to stumble next to me a little. Before my eyes chanced to the stranger's face, they fell first on her silver name plate.

"Kim Chaewon..." I whispered, also drifting my stare to her roaming far off into another space of the opposite building.

Yena smiled at her figure then looked back to me; "Hey, about her? She's a sophomore, vice-president of the Music club. I can tell she's a softie like you desired. Quite the cold one. Maybe you two could be the best couple...y'know. Lovey-dovey action. That'd be cute."

"Yena, she bumped into me. She didn't say sorry. It's weird she keeps her distance though." I bumbled, pairing neutral attention to the girl and Yena. "You're weird into thinking we'll be a good match."

"Heh, what's that in your pocket?" Yena questioned, pulling up a smug smirk. "I don't think when she bumped into you was an accident. Maybe she meant to. Besides, I didn't hear any thuds or what."

"Really, Yena. Look, we're missing class. You dragged me into three hallways, and now I probably need to beg Wonyoung for notes." I clicked my tongue, and bit my lip.

 

My annoying schoolmate said there was something in my skirt's small pouch. I caressed a light object within the pocket. It was thin, paper-like. But wait, there was...an envelope too? No, it was a faint envelope. Plucking the material out of the hole, I gasped. It smelled strawberry, wispy scent that was mellow. Colored creamy and had a rose heart pinned on the middle of the paper. Somehow, I adored the simplicity of both the cover and letter. I liked them.

"I guess you've found one, hehe." Yena grinned and taunted me jokingly. "Are you gonna atleast get a whiff of the perfume there? Or you want me to get the stink?"

"Weirdo," I scoffed and quickly hoarded the letter back in my pocket. She was still styling a suggestive stare at me. I took the haste time to retort as promptly. "As if, I'll let you get your erted hands on it. It's mine."

"Come on. Stop standing there, all amused and stupid. We're late." As I uttered those words breaking-neck and began to a keen pace being hurriedly eager, I captured her hand and tugged her along, trailing to the designed class.

 

----
 


We wounded up to our classroom, and squirmed at the hawkish scene of our teacher creeping a serious review of our arrival. "Really? You also had the wholesome guts to show up with a grin on your face, Miss Choi?" he roared and signaled his eyes to vacant seats that belonged to the both of us. "Sit down, the both of you. Don't bare your sluggish motives to show up here again. Your visit to the Guidance's office might be qualified."

The both of us curted our heads down, witnessed as apologies. Timidly strolling to my seat, I reclined back and breathed cooly.

Now, I'm really angry at Yena after the festive pointing she made me do to all those beautiful girls. Like I had the miraculous chance to live up to her fantasizing anticipation. I marked my look at the window sill located beside me, and sealed my notice to the nature glimpsed just outside of the clear barrier.

"Did you read the love letter?" I heard Yena say out of curiosity. She was just sitting afront of me, excitably glittering her eyes eager as soon as her question zoomed out from her weird lips.

Flushing cherry wash, I ridiculed lowly; "What love letter--it's just an envelope."

"Read it, dummy. " she said and peeved an elated, chipper of a smile.

First to glance timidly at my teacher scribbling clusters of orient words on the board then retrieving my sight back to Yena's mad, wired face. I flustered softly for our teacher not to eavesdrop; "Hold your enthusiasm. We'll get in trouble if you're still anchoring back to me. The teacher might see you." And that was Yena's nod of sharp indication to angle again to her seat, pretending to care about the recent lesson not even captivating every student as well.

 

The small pleasant envelope had gotten nervously hooked in my hand from my pocket. Before I slithered it onto a page of my coral notebook, I glanced at it earlier, pulled out the letter from the envelope and started to scan intently on the clean writing.

As I read, whispering under my silent gasp; "Meet me beside the water fountain at 12:15 P.M. I need to tell you something. It's okay if you stumble late because it's you who I like." 

Deciphering those likable words, sweetened my mood. I felt something delighting me and somehow it obliged to flatter my sincerity. For a brief second I had thought I became nervous, sprightly pricking my bottom lip in dazed manner.

 

"Well, best of luck to you later, Hitomi." I noted Yena's thrilled voice, and now she was jolting at me by and by in her creaking seat, inciting loudly. "Maybe you'll get a bonus kiss--your first kiss, I meant."

Bowing my head awkwardly, hushed to look at the letter once more, I reddened. "But, uh... If I asked for you to patrol what's up and come with me, would you?" I faltered.

"That kind of question shouldn't have initiated and shouldn't be answered," she chortled, optimistically. 

 

"Of course--" 

"Hm, really?"

"--not."

Yena squirmed a meddlesome giggle and contented a peaceful wink, muttering flippantly. "There's a love rule where one can't intervene a confession. It's only between the one who will confess and the other who will be confessed to."

 

"I mean, this Kim Chaewon could appear bad...What if I get...hurt?" I whined sparingly, pouting an adorable face for Yena to only smug empathy somehow. "I won't let someone do that to you. You're my child." she cheered her lips with forged moping and pinched my cheeks, heartily.

"Okay, okay. Ouch. That hurts, Yena. Ow--" I squealed inferior to my loud tone of voice, which the teacher spun his head to the source. Noticing our bickery, he uproared; "I'll talk to you later, at the end of class!"

The both of us shifted inconveniently upon Yena fetching her hand from my cheek, me rescuing my gaze from the uptight teacher, and trying to politely reason an: "Okay, sir."

----

"You need to learn how to be proper and behaved during class! Now I'm not only nurturing to you, Miss Choi. You've gotten enough detention already for your school-years." Our teacher huffed, and scrutinized us a commanding stare, especially hollering to Yena. He progressed, by his breath hailing strongly and big; "And Hong Dahee, you better not fall for her trickery she leads you to, and make it a downfall for you to get seized with my lectures. Fix her attitude and maybe find another friend. But mostly, educate her too, if you don't want the alternate choice." 

 

While the teacher was still rambling in heavy yawping--mostly to Yena, obviously--I escorted my wrist up and lugged my sleeve back, peering attentively to my watch blinking the time.


12:08 P.M

 

----

 

"Now, leave the classroom, don't usher back for more trouble. And learn something nice that could vitally do you good." the teacher sulked aside a drained sigh and bared to the door, eyebrows knitted. "Until the next detention, kids."

 

As soon as the teacher had to direction us furiously outside of the room, I galloped quickly with Yena gradually scooting behind my tail. "What's up with your pace?" she darted a breathless say.

"What's up is the time. Yena, look at the time." I squeaked warily, fluttering crimson as I collared her hand and pulled her with my might. "Seriously. This is embarrassing. I can't believe I'm going to greet someone whom I don't know--and be confessed to! And end up being late! My luck with you, is horribly wilting."

"It's good-natured, not upsetting." she said while rushing her trail, off the pace. "We can't let your girl wait." she cheered, but in an apathetic tone.

 

"It's 12:18 P.M." I said and dazzled glaring at her. "But the person did say it didn't matter if I was late. Anyway, that's just rude to be behind."
 


----
 


At the time that we breezed in meters absent from the fountain, curbing my steps as a signaled halt, Yena posed her two hands on my shoulders and gripped them earnestly.

"Your prince is here," Yena smiled and flung her gaze somewhere, but still plastered such a beam. "I won't make this situation worse, I'll hide behind the tree there. No noise-making." Yena said and let go of her heartening clutch the same time I mildly nodded.


As I saw her--the girl who slightly budged while roaming, just to tuck in a creamy letter in my skirt pocket--I listened to a palpitating sound by chance, witnessed bouncing from my own mellow heart.

It skipped on loose, playing by my breath inhaling just lightly--if it was keeping note of that.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

"Why in this big world, my petty heart is beating like this?" I quivered in my mind, unquestionably nervous. Maybe, this is the first confession I had to meet out of stuffed curiosity. Or, I really doubted--absolutely doubted Yena and her being a colossal romantic. But giggle at me to where I am, I'm blossoming into her same habit soon, very acquainted with it.

 

She was resting on a spare idle bench, seating as relaxed for her to current a modest breath out, eyes sealed past her solitude the feeling of the raw youthful breeze--until she rattled her head in distress. Chaewon mumbled joylessly, it was dimmed to hear, although I caught her words; "I guess she won't come." 

 

My lips hushed sadly. I was overly frightened to step infront of her--might be blandly done for me to walk in said manner--and my perception remotely discouraging me.

So I did.

With small minute traces.

"Um, Chaewon?" I called. She was a little stunned when she heard my faint voice; because I could share from her sudden shift almost in jittering tension the likeness as me; and I swayed to tidy my greeting: "Your name is, Kim Chaewon, right?" 

 

Chaewon subtly rose up from her seat, gently hinting; "好きです, 私と付き合って下さい ."

She squealed smoothly, but it sounded like a hesitant murmur to me. Chaewon blushed profusedly and bit her bottom lip, looking away until she reverted her sight back to mine. I blinked as timidly as I could, perfecting a small grin, utterly muted for my answer to say.