SOLO

Shining Solo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

During the second year of our high school, a girl named Jennie Kim transferred here from New York. 

I was busy staring at her while in our class right now. I’m just curious about her cause ever since she transferred, I haven’t seen her mingle with others. 

“Jisoo! Are you listening?” The teacher seemed to call me. Oops! I forgot to introduce myself, my name is Kim Jisoo. 

“Hey Chu! The teacher is calling you!” Seulgi who was sitting behind me whispered. She’s Kang Seulgi, one of my bestfriends. She’s my gaming buddy and would play with me every weekends until She and my sister Joohyun became a couple. I would really hunt this girl if she would make my beloved sister cry. 

Everyone around me call me Chu. I don’t have to explain why, do I? I’m a normal teenage girl you see everyday. I dyed my hair in to purple when I entered high school and created a band with my two other best friends. 

And now, I’m interested in the girl, Jennie Kim. 

“I said hey Chu!” Seulgi whispered again. 

Usually, she doesn’t talk to anyone at school. She goes home at school right away as soon as school ends. She sits out during PE. 

There were rumors that she has health problem. But no one knows the truth. 

I’ve started to take an interest in her as more mysteries pile up around her. 

“Kim Jisoo!” The teacher shouted throwing a piece of chalk to me for not listening. 

 

 

During  the middle of July, we crossed paths. I went to the infirmary to sleep. 

“Hey Taeyeon Unnie. I’m skipping class so please let me sleep here.” I said lazily. She doesn’t care anyway. She just spoiled me around. I look up when I heard a gasp. 

I just saw Jennie’s perfect body. I mean I just saw her changing her uniform. 

“Woah! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean it in purpose!” I suddenly snap. I guess I’m blushing too hard now cause I can feel the heat on my face. “I-I did not see anything!” I covered my eyes but not completely. I’m also peeking a bit. Just a bit. I can’t help it. 

I saw everything. Instead of her half figure , there was something that caught my eye.  I saw a small technology-like badge on her chest. 

And now, we’re here on the rooftop to talk after I was slapped by her. 

“Do you know this Heart something disease? I don’t even know what it’s called.” Jennie talked for the first time. 

“I’ve heard of it before. A few years back, a celebrity died because of it and now it’s pretty well known.” I answered. 

“Yeah! That one. A weak heart muscle makes the heartbeat irregular. It’s in the same category as cardiomyopathy. It’s a strange disease that only happens to one in a million people.” Jennie sighed. 

“Have you heard of this? The amount of times a person’s heartbeats in their lifetime, is decided when they are born. But a person who has this illness has less heartbeats than everyone else.” Jennie get her phone out of her pocket and showed me something. 

“That is the amount of heartbeats left that I have.” She explained while showing me. “If you have the personal app and ID, you can check your own heart.” 

“There’s about 220 million beats left..” I said. 

“You might think that’s a lot but in 6 to 7 years, my heart will stop beating.” Jennie said sadly. “This pacemaker on my chest helps regulate my heartbeat and tells me my remaining beats. There are more treatment options but it’s too expensive. If my heart rate is elevated my lifespan will shorten. That’s why I’m prohibited to do tremendous activities.” 

When I recall this heavy conversation, I could renew that I thought to myself ‘ahh she sure can talk.’ Is what I recall from my memory. 

“So that’s why you skip PE. Why did you talk to me?” I asked. 

“I just thought that if you knew, youll keep it as a secret instead of spreading the news. At my previous school, rumors spread around me and it’s uncomfortable.” Jennie sighed again. “From the way you look, I wouldn’t think you’re a bad person who’d spread rumors.” 

“You had it rough huh.” I just said looking at her as if memorizing her features. 

“Not really. Other than my short lifespan, everything is normal.” Jennie smiled. It was the first time I saw her smile. “But the truth is.. I want to get along with others. I want to have fun like them. If things would going on like this, I would prefer to live my life out with every second I have left.” 

She has a cute gummy smile. But that smile is sad. 

“But I’m afraid to do it since it will shorten my lifespan.” 

She looked so sad as she told me about it. 

“It’s been a while since I talk to anyone so I went a little over it.” She chuckled and stood. “Forget about it.” 

Without thinking, I.. 

“just keep it a secret, Jisoo.” She was about to leave. 

“J-Jennie Kim!” I shouted. “We’re all those your true feelings?! If that’s true, I’ll help you! I’ll help you to enjoy life to the fullest and make your heartbeat crazy!” I just said it what I truly feel and I saw her blushed with a sparkling eyes. 

 

 

Summer came and I invited her to go to the beach together, just the two of us. She was sure excited like a kid. 

“It’s the seaaaa!” She shouted. She’s really cute. “Hey Chu! Take a look of the sea it’s huge!” She also called me Chu after that. We bacame close in a short time. 

“Is this your first time at the beach Jen?” 

“Yeah. And my heart is beating so fast right now.” She said. “Hey chu! What do we usually do at the beach? Digging for sea shells?” 

“Youre going all out aren’t we Jen?” I giggled. Who would have thought I’d be able too see her react like this. “Are you really okay with this?” 

“Hmm?” 

“Well, I did say I will help you..  but if I get your heart pumping like that.. I wonder if it’s the right thing.” I hang my head low. 

“Don’t worry about that. I intended to do this myself soon anyway.” She assured me. “It’s a good opportunity. Besides, among all the persons who knew about my condition, you’re the first one to say that to me.” She showed her gummy smile again and I can’t help in but blushed. 

“Normally, people would just ignore me as if my feelings were nothing. If you being considerate of my feelings, you wouldn’t have been able to say that.” She said. “Thank you Jisoo.” 

Im so happy right now that I felt like crying. I’m glad I said it. So this is what Jennie looks like when she smiles. 

“And also, I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter