Missel Moors.

wildflower

 

CHAPTER I
Missel Moors.

 

 

 

 

 

1901.

 

The heather moorland covers up to 5,000 acres of land, surrounded with gardens, an abandoned swimming pool and small woods. Within the land stands a Grade 1 listed nineteenth-century Victorian house. It’s far too big to be a house, but too small to be a castle. Within the walls of the house, holds 45 bedrooms and 18 bathrooms. The house belongs to a man called Kim Jiwoo, who bought the building in 1890 for his wife. When the family had moved in, they were gifted with a precious child. Unfortunately, the mother suddenly turned sick after giving birth and didn’t survive the cold winter’s night.

 

Jiwoo was so heartbroken, he couldn’t live in the house anymore. He abandoned his newborn son and the beautiful home which he created with his love. He left in the dead of the night, the sleeping child tucked away in the warmth. Without leaving a trace, he went. Just like that.

In the morning, the baby’s cry woke the whole house up and the house servants discovered the disappearance of their Master.










 

1904.

 

Doh Kyungsoo was an unusual child. He never smiled and always had a scowl on his face. He didn’t talk, nor cry or laugh. Many said he wasn’t all there, and others said that he was ignorant. The four-year-old was passed from orphanages across the country. From a baby, he spent his life growing up without parents and didn’t know what a mother’s love was. He played alone, often talked to himself and taught himself how to read. Spending time in the library was one of his most treasured hobbies. He liked the quietness, the warmth of the sunlight on the bay window seat. It was Kyungsoo’s sanctuary.

 

The boy was dumped at the orphanage at a week old, his parents died in a tragic house fire leaving the baby the only survivor. He grew up in the arms of Catholic nuns, teaching him how to walk, talk and eat by himself. They took good care of all their children, but Kyungsoo was a hard child to understand. He always seemed emotionless, but at the same time, he was emotional. Screaming and tantrums happened several times a day, and in the spaces between, he was calm and collected.

 

Winters passed and Kyungsoo still stayed the same, his body still small and petite and his mind stuck somewhere else. By the time he was eight years of age, he found himself being moved. The housemaids packed all his belongings, not too little of clothing and a few of his favourite books which the nuns let him take. He had no idea where he was going, except that his Uncle had been searching for him for years and since he is the brother of his mother, he falls into his Uncle’s guardianship.

 

Kyungsoo had never met his uncle, nor did he know anything about him. He had never seen a picture or received a letter, so he was hesitant to leave his home of eight years. He didn’t have much choice, so he followed the head nun downstairs to the horse and carriage outside waiting for him. Kyungsoo wondered if his uncle sent him it, as the carriage looked expensive and not like the fragile ones the orphanage has that have seen better days. His belongings were placed inside and he was given a lift up into the high carriage with the help of the coachman.

 

“I hope you grow up well, my dear. It’s been a pleasure having you here,” Sister Hye said, holding the boy's small hands. She was an elderly woman who often spoiled the boys when she shouldn’t have. She tucked Kyungsoo’s long hair behind one ear and kissed him goodbye on the cheek. Before Kyungsoo could say anything, the carriage was moving away from his home, leaving the boy startled and falling back from the sudden motion into the wooden seat. He looked behind him through the small window as he watched the small town disappear and he was soon surrounded by marshes and hill sights peeking through the fog.

 

It would be a day’s ride to his new home, and Kyungsoo was already frozen within the first hour. The glass on the windows of the doors had fogged up from the bitter coldness, the small boy drew pictures on the glass to pass time and read the current chapter of his book. His fingers were becoming numb under the pages and the journey made him feel drowsy. Taking a blanket from his luggage, he lay across the bench curling his legs up to his chest and wrapped the blanket around his fragile body, hoping to catch some sleep before he arrived.

 

 

 

 

                                                            

 

 



 

A pothole shook the carriage and caused the boy to awaken. He yawned and stretched his limbs out until he felt his kneecaps crack. Sitting up he took a glance outside, he was surrounded by heather and woodlands that spread out for hundreds of miles. It was almost like the sea, the wind was rising and making a singular, wild, low, rushing sound like waves. He couldn’t see too far into the distance as the fog seemed to be getting heavier as they travelled. Soon the earth below the horse's hooves turned into a stone pathway, Kyungsoo opened one of the small windows and gasped as the cold air hit his lungs, he peeked his head out the window to see better. In the distance Kyungsoo could make out a house, but not just any house. It was enormous.

 

Missel Moor had more windows than Kyungsoo could count and four stories high. The bricks were the colour of oatmeal and the doors stood high and bold. Surrounding the house was greenery and gardens that looked like they hadn’t bloomed in years. The trees creaked in the wind and dew had gathered on the grass overnight. The house seemed too big, too empty and too silent. Small towers stood at each corner and a larger one in the middle of the house with an archway leading to the front door. The huge entrance door was made of curiously shaped panels of oak studded with big iron nails. The carriage came closer to the courtyard and Kyungsoo could spot an elderly woman standing at the entrance waiting. The boy’s bottom had turned numb from the uncomfortably hard seat and he was more than happy when the carriage started to slow down.

 

He waited for the coachman to open the door of the carriage and help him step down. Kyungsoo looked up in awe at his new home. Up close the building stood so high and he shivered at the sudden chill down his spine. Vines grew around four stories high around the windows and up to the towers. The elderly woman that had been waiting for Kyungsoo and had made her way towards the boy. She wore all black with a cameo brooch in the centre of her collared dress. Her hair was tied back neatly into a tight bun with wisps of grey hairs curling around her ears.

 

“Master Kyungsoo, we’ve been expecting you. My name is Anne and I am the head servant of Misselthwaite Manor. Your uncle isn’t here right now, but when he arrives you will be expected to meet him. For now, this is your new home. You’ll have to play about and look after yourself. You’ll be told what rooms you can go into and what rooms you’re to keep out of. There are enough gardens, but when you’re in the house, don’t go wandering and poking about.” Anne said while glaring down at the boy. He hadn’t made eye contact or said a word to the woman. He tightened his hold on his luggage and let Anne guide him inside.

 

The manor was warm, the heat hit Kyungsoo’s cheeks as he stepped inside, giving them a rosy glow. His large eyes scanned the interior while he was being guided through the large entranceway. A large wooden staircase curved around the walls of the house with huge paintings hung up on the walls. Kyungsoo’s short legs followed Anne upstairs and down a long corridor. The flooring and doors were mahogany and the paintings continued all throughout the house. Kyungsoo didn’t recognise anyone in the paintings, and he often stopped to admire them, forgetting about Anne.

 

“Stop stalling!” She snapped, causing the boy to whip his head in her direction and almost trip over his own feet as he ran back to her. They soon reached a door at the end of the hallway, Anne took out a huge hoop with hundreds of keys on and found the right one for his room.

 

The bedroom was big, with a huge four poster bed in the centre, a fireplace, wardrobe and sitting area. Kyungsoo stepped in curiously and gazed at all the minor details. The walls were covered with forest scene embroidered tapestry, the bed was made with six pillows that were the whitest cotton he’d ever seen. A small set of stairs was placed on the side of the bed so Kyungsoo could climb into as it seemed to have three mattresses. The room was bright due to the large windows which had a very large window seat with plenty of cushions for him to snuggle into and read.

 

Kyungsoo walked to the wardrobe and opened it to find that clothes were already placed inside that weren’t his. The room lacked furnishings but the boy was happy with what he had.

 

“We will bring your supper soon, you must be tired from the long journey. I think you should take a nap and after supper, it’s bath and bedtime for you,” Anne said while unpacking the small amount of clothing Kyungsoo bought. She reached over to a small bell near the bed and pulled it once.

 

Within a few minutes a housemaid entered the room, she was young, in her early twenties and very beautiful. She had a kind face and wore a white pinafore over her dress. Her name was Jina and was carrying a silver tray with a warm bowl of porridge and a cup of tea, she settled the tray down on a table that was set near the fireplace and  Kyungsoo to sit down and eat.

 

“Jina, you will give Master Kyungsoo a bath after he has finished his supper. Then he can go straight to bed,” Anne said with a monotone voice. She left the room without saying goodnight and shut the heavy door.

 

“Don’t worry about her, she’s not always so cold.” Jina smiled and sat opposite the boy, Kyungsoo still hadn’t said a word to anyone and began eating. His porridge wasn’t sweet enough so he added a spoonful of honey, the house creaked and he couldn’t stop wondering about all the many rooms that were forbidden. When Kyungsoo had finished, Jina wiped his mouth with a handkerchief and went to the bathroom that was just off the side of the fireplace. She ran the small bathtub and added a few drops of lavender oil to help the boy sleep comfortably.

 

“Okay sweetie, let's get you undressed and in the tub,” she helped undress Kyungsoo and carried the small boy to the bathroom. The warm water felt wonderful on his tired body and he relaxed until his toes had thawed and fingers wrinkled. Jina used a white ceramic jug to pour water over Kyungsoo’s head, his long hair had fallen into his eyes but Jina soon scooped it back and lavered shampoo into his scalp.

During his washing, a faint, almost spooky cry shook through the house. Kyungsoo stopped his movements to listen in more, it got louder and then he could hear banging, footsteps and a door. Then it was silent.

 

After his bath, he was towel dried and dressed into a white nightgown that reached his shin. There was a lace t around the collar and long sleeves that fell over his hands.

 

The tiny boy jumped into his large bed and snuggled into the pillows, he was content but drained from the long journey. Jina sat on the edge and tucked the boy in.

 

“Do you need anything?” She asked, while combing Kyungsoo’s hair behind his ears.

 

“When can I see my uncle?” he finally spoke, fingers playing with the ribbon at the front of his nightgown.

 

Jina’s eyes sparkled hearing the boy speak, “when he arrives, he will see you.”

 

The noise was back again, the crying.

 

“Do you hear that?” Kyungsoo rose, staring at the ceiling. Jina seemed to not notice the sound, she curiously watched the boy.

 

“Hear what?”

 

“That noise. It sounds like someone is crying.”

 

“This house is old, it’s just the wind, sometimes it sounds like someone is crying.” Jina explained and settled Kyungsoo back into bed. She blew out all the candles except for the one on the bedside table.

 

“If you need me, just shout. Don’t leave this room, okay?”

 

Once the door was shut, Kyungsoo was left alone. The winds over Missel Moor was loud and the trees outside banged against the house. He laid in bed staring at the ceiling thinking about why his uncle wanted him to live with him when he had never met him, he wondered if any other children lived here and if he could possible make friends.

 

And just before he dozed off, the sound was there again.

 

Crying

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

hello! i hope you enjoyed the first chapter, sorry it's a little boring but i promise you next will be better as kyungsoo will meet jongin.
please leave me a comment, i'd really love it!