Radiant

Eavesdropping
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N, Guys, if the words are in italics, it means that they're speaking in Spanish.

"Guys, I feel like dying and that of a lecturer isn't making it easier!", Joohyun seethed. It's become a daily occurrence, the complaining each of them did, since two years ago where the group of four had met each other and instantly bonded over their mutual hatred for this hellhole of a place. Now all juniors, it still amazes Joohyun how they managed to survive all three years with no major psychological trauma. Jennie only shot her an amused look while both Yeri and Joy had the decency to at least stop their argument over whether M&M's or Reese's were better to look at her in sympathy, before turning back to each other with eyes burning to win, however, she also saw the love each had for the other behind all the teasings and "fights". She wanted that with someone, one day, yeah, one day.

"What rubbish are you spouting now, I sit right next to you in Mr Park's class and you and I both know that you're top of the class." Jennie chortled. 

"Yea, but it's so boring, and don't even act like you've never seen the disgusting way his eyes linger on me." She scoffed, the disgust and revulsion clear in her voice. Deciding that she was done with that topic, she turned and looked around, students milling around the cafeteria, the sounds of chatter and footsteps rang from around her, encasing her in a bubble, her mind drifting. A shadow of a hand comes over her and she feels the warmth and understanding in Jennie's head pats. 

"Unnie! We're planning on visiting the festival near the school on Friday, come with us?" A grimace on her face probably showed more than anything could have and the younger two all but whined at her, trying to get her to cave in and finally attend a social event. 

"Nah, I'll pass. Maybe next time, alright?" Joohyun's frown deepens as she thinks of the number of people that were going to be there and a chilling shudder runs through her at the thought of being separated from her friends if she did go. Besides, she was going to be the fifth wheel if she did go, Jisoo and Jennie was a package deal that came together, despite being in different squads. She tunes out their excited and eager voices as she once again immerses herself in the mindless sounds that come from all around her.

"...cute with that high-ponytail and glasses!" Joohyun hears the distinct voice of Kang Seulgi and can't help it as her eyebrows raise. 'Oh, so she does have someone she likes?' Joohyun muses to herself. Kang Seulgi, the human personification of the literal sun and rainbows, seemed to become a stone when around her and it boggles her mind. A little taller than her, with an amiable personality and impeccable fashion sense, she was a catch. Especially with the blond hair that made her look so much like a golden retriever puppy and so, so cute, too bad Seulgi seemed to hate her and turned to stone whenever she was near. Seulgi's an Art major while she's an English major and in the one class that they share, they sat together. (With Seulgi stealing the papers for her assignments to doodle, and Joohyun would kill her but she's really cute and the little sketches actually make her really happy.) They've said a total of three sentences to each other since they've met each other, not like Joohyun's counting or anything (she totally counted). It just made her a little sad is all. Since Jisoo is in the same squad as Seulgi together with Wendy and Solar, one would think that they would at least have conversed with each other more, especially if Wendy and Solar are close with her.

"God, she's adorable, she looks so small in her oversized sweater." Joohyun furrows her eyebrows, trying her best to catch the rapid conversation between Seulgi and her friends in Spanish, not at all feeling guilty of eavesdropping. She needed to improve on her listening comprehension anyway, and it wasn't like she was going to publicize whatever she heard.

"You , she's right there, speak softer, what if she hears you? Stop being a and ask her out." She hears Solar's loud voice carrying over to her table. Joohyun decides to look around to try and find the object of Seulgi's affections. 'I wonder who has Seulgi wrapped around her fingers so easily.' Joohyun pondered, eyes sweeping around. Jennie was opposite her and Seulgi's table was right behind Jennie. As she tries to look around Jennie, she hears the panicked voice of Seulgi cut through. "Oh , she's looking here."

As Joohyun drag her eyes through the tables near theirs and struggle to find someone who looked like how Seulgi had described and who was also looking at her table, she caught sight of the clock and a groan tore through her at the thought of having to sit through another two hours of Mr Park's lecture. Maybe she'll find the person Seulgi likes one day, who knows. (Her heart stung a little at the thought, but she wasn't about to let anyone know.) Joohyun makes her way out of the cafeteria with Jennie in tow, ignoring the stares of others.

Days later, Joohyun finds herself being washed over with a sense of deja vu as she sits, listening in on the one and only Kang Seulgi gushing about her crush on this mysterious girl to her friends. "No, Seungwan-ah you don't understand. Do you know how hard it is to not stare at her? She pulls off the casual-classy look so easily!" 

"Then talk to her, you coward!" Joohyun's back was facing them this time, but she could just as easily imagine the eye-roll that Wendy had just given to Seulgi without having to see them. 

"Yeah, easy for you to say. She's a cheerleader, not just-" Jennie's voice pulls her out and back to their own group, asking her if she was listening to her rant about how Jinyoung should just stop bothering Jisoo. She nods and Jennie takes off again, speaking faster and faster, her language getting more and more vulgar. The other three just laughs at the entertainment they were provided with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter