fin.

night and you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you sure this is alright?” Junhui asked nervously for what felt like the hundredth time that day.

 

He was picking at his clothes so much he might actually tear a hole into it, but the gesture was also coupled with the way his eyes were sparkling with hope, clearly excited about everything as well. Minghao looked more than just a little bit amused at the sight, since he’s assured the other boy that things were going to be fine each time he had asked. Really, there was nothing wrong with bringing Junhui to Moonwalker Cafe on a night where it would be packed with magical creatures left and right.

 

“You said you wanted to go,” Minghao humoured him regardless, going through his accessories until he picked out a cross necklace that would go perfectly with what the human was already wearing. He had managed to find a few clothes of his that fit Junhui’s taller frame, dark and brooding and very fitting for Halloween. The vampire was actually pretty pleased with himself after he had managed to style Junhui like he came straight out of a Vampire Weekly magazine.

 

“I still do,” the brunette replied quickly. “I just don’t want anything to go wrong.”

 

Minghao took the other boy’s hand, always so warm against his own, and gave it a light squeeze.

 

“Like I said, you won’t be the only human around tonight, so you don’t have to worry about that bit anymore,” he said reassuringly, watching the way Junhui’s stiff shoulders began to relax at the small gesture. “We’re going to a costume party, remember? Halloween is the one night where Moonwalker is open to everybody, so it’s not like I’m breaking any rules. Not tonight, anyway.”

 

At the reminder of their illegal rendezvous, Junhui’s cheeks flushed a pretty pink; one of the vampire’s favourite things about dating him would have to be how easy it was to get the other boy to blush, despite the bravado that he often put up. Junhui had the looks that could rival any model, along with the charm that came with it when he tried, but deep down he was ultimately a dork. He laughed at anything that wasn’t even that funny and cried at anything that was even just the tiniest bit sad, his feelings always on display.

 

Seeing—or well, more like feeling—his blush always made Minghao pleased with himself.

 

“Just make sure you act like you don’t know you’re actually sharing a cafe with a bunch of supernatural beings and you’ll be fine,” the vampire continued, adopting a joking tone and smiling when Junhui had laughed.

 

With their final preparations done, the two had left for the party hand in hand. As they walked, it wasn’t hard to miss all the various Halloween decorations that were put up around the city; fake cobwebs, hanging bats, and carefully crafted jack-o-lanterns lit up their path. The air around them was just a little bit chilly, reminding Minghao of the night they first met, with Junhui tumbling into the cafe by accident on a rainy night. It felt like such a long time ago that that had happened, along with the events that followed.

 

There was no way he was going to forget Junhui after that night, after all. It didn’t take long for fate to somehow find its way to get them together again, and next thing he knew, Minghao had made it a bit of a habit to sneak Junhui into the cafe late at night. The other boy had been nothing but accepting of everything, taking all the information with thinly veiled curiousity and looks of awe and wonder. Minghao should have known that if any human was going to take things well, it was going to be Junhui.

 

Since Halloween was in the air, Wonwoo had taken down the wards that often hid Moonwalker Cafe from human sight. 

 

The brick wall illusion that was normally there was gone, instead revealing a quaint little cafe that still looked just a little bit out of place in the city. It didn’t look like the type of place people would visit, but on a night like Halloween, anybody can tell that the place must be packed. Since it was a party after all, Wonwoo had finally taken Minghao’s advice to add some more nightlife themed drinks on their menu along with a few new decorations here and there.

 

“Excited?” The vampire asked when they neared the establishment.

 

He didn’t really need to ask though, with the way Junhui was practically vibrating with joy next to him.

 

The moment they entered, it was like being transported into another world.

 

Even Minghao had to stop and stare a little; Wonwoo did a really good job turning the place around. The furniture remained the same mix of wood and every other material available—silver still not included—but there were a few pieces here and there that were clearly for show. The cauldron that the wizard kept around for brewing purposes transformed into a sort of bubbling punch bowl, with iridescent smoke surrounding it. It probably looked like dry ice to the humans, but Minghao knew better.

 

Next to him, Junhui couldn’t seem to believe his eyes, which made sense. Whenever he did visit the cafe, it was during the hours where everything was toned down even further than normal, since it should be closed and all. Apart from the decorations, he looked like he was busy gaping at everybody who was there, too. He probably figured everybody there wasn’t human. The vampire could easily pick out the ones who were, though.

 

Including the ones he should probably stay away from.

 

A few vampires had their eyes locked on Junhui, which didn’t make Minghao comfortable, even if they looked harmless for now. Sure, an attack in the middle of a Halloween party would also be pretty tactless—and not to mention illegal—but it didn’t hurt to be on the safe side. Not that he would allow any of them to hurt Junhui, anyway, but who knows? Subtly, h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter