Invitation

Little Touch of Heaven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaewon produces a burnout sigh and falls back against her chair with her eyes shut. If she was in the same predicament six years ago, she might have broken down and cried. But in the back of her head, she reminds herself that only girls cry. She is a woman now—a twenty-seven-year-old woman.

Before Chaewon can take the breather she yearned for, she hears a knock on the door. Opening her eyes, she sees that it is her attentive assistant, Jo Yuri. “Is everything okay Director? This is the tenth time I’ve heard you sigh all morning,” She points out with concern. Yuri is a petite young woman whose waist-length dark hair is never tied and is always seen in a plain white blouse, gray or black blazers, and trousers to match the darker colors.

Chaewon reassures the short woman with an open palm before sitting up and brushing her natural fuzzy bangs from her eyes. “I’m fine,” when Chaewon intertwines her fingers and set her hands down on the pile of vanilla folders in front of her, she notices Yuri holding a pretty gold envelope. “Is that for me?”

“Ah, yes,” Yuri answers when she sees Chaewon take a glance at her hands. Without much effort, Yuri slips the paper container towards her boss before taking a step back.

Chaewon is taken aback when she picks up the envelope to read the sender’s name, “Miyawaki Sakura?”

“Is it someone you know?” Yuri asks. The young woman has assisted Chaewon for the past three years but she only knew of the common, big name tycoons Chaewon deals with regularly. Chaewon has never spoken about her family nor friends and no one ever drops by the office to see her.

Chaewon uses the mail opener to rip along the seal before humming, “We went to school together,”

While her assistant watches in silence, Chaewon pulls out the amber card cover in soft pink and azure flower patterns. They were the same flower colors Sakura admired. For a moment, Chaewon is dying to know if Sakura ever becomes a stunning botanist. Everything about her was about plants and flowers.

“Is it an invitation?” Yuri asks when Chaewon prolonged disclosing the card’s purpose.

Chaewon lowers the letter over her desk before biting her bottom lip. She gives it a moment before saying, “It’s a reunion invitation,”

Before Yuri blurts out anything, she sees that Chaewon is a little glum about it. Chaewon is an advocate of maintaining a serious and alert demeanor in the workplace but Yuri has witnessed her boss's energetic and cheeky side. Which leads her to assume Chaewon keeps a strict boundary between her personal and professional life to satisfy her parents and particularly her younger sister.

“You don’t seem all that cheery about it,” Yuri comments.

Alas, Chaewon heaves another sigh, “I won’t be missed if I don’t attend. Here,” she slips the stiff paper back to her subordinate, “toss it or shred it, do whatever, just help me discard it,” it takes a moment before the woman obliges at per request and excuses herself when she is no longer wanted. Once, Yuri pulls the door shut behind her, Chaewon opens up the folder in front of her and picks a pen out from the pocket of her silky, sleeveless dress shirt.

When she tries to focus at the work in hand, she catches her mind wandering off a few times, thinking about a person she once held dear. However, before she loses control of herself completely, she thought she heard a knock at the door. Shortly behold, Yuri lets a familiar face into Chaewon’s office before she could get a word in. Her guest is the one and only, Choi Yena, who never shuts up. A shy girl like Yuri will never be able to outspoken the other.

As Yena approaches Chaewon’s desk, her arms thrown up in midair all the while she wears a toothy smile. “My lady, Chaewon! Did ya miss me because I sure missed ya!” The woman still speaks with slangs, a habit she tried to fix back in college but always fail when she got angry. And the moment proves she has given the idea up completely and is sticking to what is comfortable.

When Yena walks around the desk just to sit comfortably on the same side of the table as Chaewon, the lass notices and dismisses Yuri. Ad upon turning her attention to Yena, she sees the woman playing with the dull pens, markers, and whatnot in her cement pencil cup. Yena is just as she remembered, always wearing a turtleneck with rolled up sleeves and blue jeans that are more than a little too tight around her legs.

“What made you drop by and without notice too?”

Yena chortles a little then answer, in her naturally husky voice, “Sakura asked me to deliver the envelope and I know how ya are so I waited outside in case. And what did I see? I saw your adorable assistant, seriously she’s cute, come out with the card. I knew ya won’t want to go but ya will have to give me good reasons why,”

“I’m on the clock, you know,”

“And? When are ya ever off the clock?” Yena speaks the truth but Chaewon can’t help feeling ridicule. There is nothing wrong with working too hard and long hours, as long as she manages to find some time to rest too. However, she knows she can never talk her way around Yena since the woman always gets what she wants.

“Fine. I don’t see a point in going. It’s not mandatory and reunions are events meant for catching up, things like that, and it’s not things I’m interested in,” Chaewon lie and says without thinking. And when someone says what they don’t mean, it warrants a passionate Yena to jump into action.

Yena smacks herself on the thigh and says, “Ya can’t lie to yourself. You’re really going to tell me ya ain’t care for Sakura, Nako, Chaeyeon, and Hyewon?” Chaewon doesn’t answer as she feels she had no other choice. Yena can’t be more right. It has been ten years for some of them but the bond they had isn’t overdue, not even in a century. “And ya can’t say you’re not interested in how Eunbi is doing. Ain’t you dying to know what she’s up to after all these years?”

Chaewon hates Yena for bringing the name up but is just as grateful since she still hasn’t learned how to move on. As a matter of fact, she can’t imagine ever being able to. Especially when she was never dumped properly and when she heard of it, Eunbi and her family had move.

“Sakura sent her an invitation, too, and I hear she’s going so you show and get some closure,” Chaewon didn’t hear the last part of Yena’s suggestion as she was too focused on the fact that Sakura still keeps in contact with Eunbi. Chaewon puffs out a breath of hot air before she falls back against her chair.

“I bet she was happy to leave Seoul like that. To leave me like that,” she snaps.

Yena produces an uncertain noise before she pats Chaewon on the shoulder. “Welp, I’ll just tell Sakura you’ll show so ya better do that,”

When Yena left, the quiet and peace steadily shift back into the spacious, big office. It gives Chaewon the opportunity to finally take a break from work, but all she can think about is Eunbi. Rekindling the reasons they got separated in the first place and what may have driven Eunbi to go away without a word. Only for her to conclude she will never learn the truth unless they meet again. Thus, Chaewon has three months to convince herself she needed to go.

 On the same week of the reunion, a special guest paid Chaewon’s office a visit before noon.

After the 8 o'clock conference ended at exactly 11, Yuri follows Chaewon into the office to acquire her next set of tasks.

Chaewon hung her long coat around the chair and tucked her blouse into her pull-on slacks before she spills the day's full agenda, “Get Director Yoo on the phone at 1:05 and ask her to email me the progress and e-files on Madam Oh’s lavish dress. Don’t say lavish, just say dress. At 3 call and confirm my dinner date with President Moon. If he runs two hours late again because of heavy traffic, tell him not to show up at all. Don’t tell him that. At 5:45 get fashion designer Kim Chungha on the phone for me. If she can’t come to the phone I won’t be taking any calls after 6 since I have to consult the three arrogant chaebols. Don’t tell her that, instead let her know I’ll get back to her at 10 when she’s done with dinner. And that will be everything, you’re free to go,”

When Yuri bows and turn to leave, the pair hear a feminine voice coming from the seats in the far corner. “What a schedule. I hope I didn’t come on a bad day,” the uninvited guest catches Yuri off-guard while Chaewon rolls her eyes. It’s Jang Wonyoung.

“And how did you get in?”

The younger woman in shades, a glittering pink fur coat, and black leggings wave a key in front of her. “Your sister and sister-in-law lent me the master-key,”

Chaewon blows the bangs poking her eye aside and rests her hands on her hips, “Of course they did. Why wouldn’t they want to give me a hard day?” she asks, annoyed.

“Please,” the lass begins as she stands from her seat, revealing her great height and even higher in heels, “if they didn’t employ you, no one will. You’re a jokester,”

“Yet, you’re the one without a job,”

“Uh, correction silly. I'm without a job because I was never in need of one, okay?” the woman states with a smile then removes her shades. “Let’s not talk about the past. I came because I want us to collaborate on a project. Your sister agreed it will be a hit and gave me approval but as you know, she’s not yet the company's president and is on bad terms with your parents,”

Although Chaewon isn't worried that her family’s feud was now out in the open while Yuri, on the other hand, is as she isn’t fond of the guest and knows the weight her boss carries on her shoulders.

“So before I go straight to meeting your parents, perhaps I can get your opinion on it over brunch?” Wonyoung asks with a broad, sly smile.

Chaewon brought Wonyoung down to the company’s cafeteria and watched as the younger grew annoyed. “You make banks and you seriously couldn’t take me out to a nice restaurant?”

Chaewon wears a smug smile before cheering her up, “Call me cheap but believe me when I say there’s no tastier food outside of the company,”

Wonyoung crosses her arms and scoffs, “Whatever, as long as there are salads on the menu I’m not picky,”

After they receive their trays, Chaewon lets Wonyoung choose a table. As expected, the lass loves attention and herself so they sat at the table right in the middle of everyone. While Chaewon enjoys her chicken soup, the other picks at her salad. “Go on then. What project do you have in mind?”

“Well, it’s not really a project,” Wonyoung replies as she sets her fork down, “but I’m getting married!” Chaewon chokes on her soup, wondering when was Wonyoung even dating, and coughs a few times before she hears Wonyoung again. “Is it really that shocking? Anyway, I need someone, someone big and important to put together a wedding dress for me. I had an artist sketch out what I had in mind but now I need someone to make it for me,”

Chaewon cleans her lips with a napkin before she questions the bride-to-be, “How is that collaborating?”

“Well, it kind of is if you think about it. I’m the mastermind behind it and I want your company to produce it,”

“But the product won’t be duplicated so what do you mean?”

Wonyoung places both hands on the table with a bang, “See but it will be after I have my wedding,”

While Chaewon processes the lass’s thought process, Wonyoung pulls out her iPhone and goes through it. Then she flips the screen around for Chaewon to see, “I have the sketches here,”

Chaewon studies the fascinating, high quality and very well-drawn out gown. Any bridal dresses with angel wings are bound to make sales. “Forward the photos to me and I’ll have them print-out and prepare for tomorrow’s presentation,” 

Once Chaewon returns to the third floor, where her office is, she sees Yena leaning over the front counter flirting with Yuri. She rolls her eyes and approaches them, the clicking of her heels turning heads. “Oh, my lady is here!” Yena clamors. Chaewon rubs her hands together to get rid of food crumbs since she didn’t get a chance to wash her hands after brunch with Wonyoung.

“I would say what a pleasant surprise but it’s only you,”

Yena laughs at Chaewon’s cold greeting, “And what would ya have said if I was Eunbi?”

Chaewon pockets her hands and turns her head about 60 degrees, “What brings you here, Yena?”

“Ya didn’t forget about the reunion did ya?”

Chaewon straighten her head, “Wasn’t it closer toward the end of the week?”

“Yeah it’s on Saturday and today is Friday so...,” Yena spreads out her hands, brings up her shoulders, and waits for Chaewon to get on the same page.

However, Chaewon frown in response. “It can’t be. I’m the one who suggested that management is subjected to a seminar every Friday so how would I not know if today is Friday?”

Yena shakes her head, “I heard from Yuri about thirty seconds ago that y'all pushed that thing to Monday because a ‘President Moon’,” Yena quotes with her fingers, “wouldn’t meet with ya ever otherwise,”

When the lass’s words ring true, Chaewon simply clicks her tongue to hide her mistake. Then a millisecond later, she looks Yena dead in the eyes, “Did you come here just to tell me that?”

To her surprise, Yena shakes her head, “Nah, I’m here to kidnap you and Yuri,”

“You can’t—” Chaewon begins but gets cut off.

“After you’re done with work,” Yena affirms, “obviously, I’m not that inconsiderate. Not anymore,”

Chaewon smiles at that and tease, “What change?” Yena didn’t answer and blows a raspberry.

Chaewon is beat after she got off an hour-long phone call with Chungha. Yet, with one glance over to one of the black couches in her office, she sees a passed out Yena and Yuri and it tells her she’s been beaten. They were sitting together, Yuri’s head on Yena’s shoulder, hers incline against the top of Yuri’s head. When Chaewon pulls up the time from a watch, with red straps, around her wrist, she isn't surprised to see it is a quarter past 11.

Even after working her body to the bone and her tail off, it wasn’t enough to keep her distracted and built confidence. Knowing there’s a possibility she will see Eunbi tomorrow, her heart begins to race uncontrollably. Just thinking about Eunbi makes her head spin. No matter how much or many times she thinks about it, she can’t fathom why they grew apart. She knows Eunbi will agree that their high school years together were the highlight of their lives, yet, here she is wondering what could have gone wrong. Chaewon admits she visited fantasy land often as a teen but who didn’t? After twenty-agonizing-minutes crawl by, Chaewon helplessly falls asleep at her desk. 

On the following morning, Chaewon feels drowsy and finds it hard to join Yena and Yuri’s jolly attitude, and somehow Chaewon ends up in the passenger with Yena’s chauffeur. While Yena and Yuri acted close and were very touchy with each other—Chaewon was hearing the uptight assistant of her giggling for the first time.

Although the ride took about twenty minutes, Chaewon feels like they got there in five minutes. In a parking lot with lots of flashy vehicles. She actually didn’t notice they have arrived until Yuri opens the door for her. “We’re here Director,” the smile on Yuri’s face would convince anyone that this is the lass’s school reunion and not Chaewon’s.

When Chaewon set foot outside the car, she can feel a cold breeze brush the part of her skin the black heels fail to cover. However, Yuri looks as warm as the sun and Chaewon is envious. She hates the cold after all.

Yena has a firm arm hook around Chaewon’s in case she does change her mind and backpedal. Meanwhile, Yuri studies her boss’s high school in fascination. Impress at the differences between a private and public school.

“You’re pulling me,” Chaewon points out, but Yena dodges her point in denial.

“No, I’m not, this is my normal walking speed,”

Chaewon rolls her eyes. She knew the shorter is doing it on purpose. There is no one more intent on getting her and Eunbi back together. And though she is grateful, she knows some things can’t go back to the way they used to be. And before she can tell Yena any of this, they were already at the main entrance.

The party is in the gym, though Chaewon hardly recognizes it because it’s been remodeled and all the decor Sakura’s team put together made a huge difference. It looks like a ballroom rather than three volleyball courts and a small stage.

“Yena! Oh my gosh, it’s Chaewon!” before the two women know it, they were wrapped up in a big embrace. The hugger is tiny but her tummy is nearly the size of her.

“Nako!” Chaewon and Yena cry in unison as they return her hug. “I miss you so much,” Chaewon says with a pout before she spread the Japanese’s hands out, “You’re having a baby!” she states wide-eye. On the side, Yena looks after Yuri first.

“I’m six months,” Nako replies with a grand smile.

Chaewon purse her lips in disappointment, “Where was my baby shower invitation? Is it a boy or girl?”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Nako coos, “we had it in Japan with my husband’s side of the family so I couldn’t invite a lot of friends. It’s a baby girl,”

Chaewon pets Nako on the head, “I hope she’ll grow taller than you,”

The tiny woman sulks instantly. “Chaewon!”

The teaser chortles befo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter