one

At Dusk

Dusk was fading, darkness on its way. 

 

I glanced at my watch. 6:12 PM. I've never stayed long enough inside the school premises after class since ghosts and other entities were practically swarming it. But today was an exception since me and my groupmates had to finish this project since it will take a long time to dry. 

"Argh. You guys know that we can just assign someone to finish it up then take it home right?" Taehyung complained. He's got guts to even say that when he hasn't even lifted up a pair of scissors. This guy is an example of a free-loader.  

I raised an eyebrow at him and asked, "Are you volunteering?". He quickly shook his head and just stared at Irene who was pasting some of the last pieces of paper for the mosaic. I heard a faint sigh from behind me, no one reacted. I straightened my back and became alert knowing that Taehyung and Irene were in front of me and Jimin was beside me. I know for a fact that it's too early for ghosts to bother us since there are still many students trying to finish their art projects, us included. 

It was then that I heard a squeak. "Are you do-" I let out a shriek and looked behind me. Thankfully it wasn't a ghost, it was just a boy named Jeon Jungkook. Everyone got surprised by my sudden squeal that Jimin even went a foot far from me. 

"AHH! Jungkook! I told you many times that Haeri gets surprised easily!" Jimin exclaimed while rubbing his chest and letting out deep breathes. Jungkook, who was also surprised by my reaction, took a step back and cleared his throat. He then mouthed a sorry.


It was exactly 7pm when we finished the mosaic and left it in the arm room to dry. We bid our goodbyes to Irene and Jimin and Taehyung, Jungkook and I walked towards the bus station. The three of us lived in the same neighborhood since we were kids, our houses are just one house apart. Typical childhood friends? Sorry, but no. The two of them are practically bestfriends but ever since I was a kid I could see ghosts and other things you wouldn't want to know. It was also unusual for me and scared me to death everytime I make eye contact with ghosts. This made me sort of anti-social. I didn't want to be judged and shunned by kids my age that's why I did it before they can. The true friends that I consider (only have) are Yeri, Jimin(kind of) and Toomi, my cat. Toomi protects me at night and I can sleep well thanks to him.  

"So Haeri, let's head to a karaoke bar tonight. What do you think?" He wiggled his eyebrows and nudged Jungkook. I rolled my eyes at him, "Pass".  

He pouted and stomped his foot, "You're no fun at all. Jungkook what about you?" 

"I'll pass. It's a school night bro come on."

All throughout the bus ride Taehyung won't stop sighing like a child that's why Jungkook promised him to buy ice cream on the way home. It was really dark now that's why I tagged along to buy ice cream, can't blame me for being a scaredy-cat. 

As we were walking, I noticed the lady ghost in blue walking towards us. She died in a car accident on the main road last year, they say they've caught the perpetrator but seeing that she was still roaming the living's world would mean that they caught the wrong person. People who died due to natural causes are fetched by grim reapers. Those who died in the hands of a fellow living stay in the living's world until they disappear or until they received the justice they needed. I knew all of these because of my grandfather who was, as my father described, a shaman of some sort. 

Keep your hands always covered. This is a reminder from him that I always apply everyday when I go out of the house. My psychic abilities increase everytime I come in contact with them (except eye contact), even an accidental brush makes me faint and blood oozes out of my nose because of the energy drawn out from me then another ability comes out. Since I forgot my hoodie this morning, which was so stupid of me by the way, I needed to resort to another solution.

"Jungkook can I put my hands inside your hoodie pocket for a moment? My hands suddenly got cold." 

"Uhh.. yeah sure... I guess..." he replied. I put in my hands and waited for the lady to pass me, literally

"Haeri, why didn't you ask me?" Taehyung scowled. I let out an 'ugh' and we continued to walk home.  

"You know it's not necessary to walk me home right? My house is just right there." Jungkook was walking beside me, he insisted on walking me home when its just feet away from theirs. We already passed Taehyung's house.

"I know but its dark so..." he trailed. I patted his shoulder when we arrived in front of my house and thanked him. I was about to enter the house when he called my name.

"Tomorrow umm.."

"Tomorrow?"

"Nothing. Yeah goodnight." He saluted and rushed back to their house. Wow, and I thought I was the weird one.

 


I should have urged Jungkook to continue what he wanted to say that night because the next day at 12 in the afternoon, Jungkook's body was found lifeless on the ground floor in front of our school building. His blood painting the once grey floor.