Final

Friendship Contract

Jiyoon laughs. “Jina when are going to branch out?”

 

I sigh, I didn’t need to. My older sister, Jiyoon was always nagging me about making more friends. It was so annoying. I was fine with just Hayoung as a friend.

 

“Maybe when you stop asking.” I scoff back.

 

I liked my simple life.

 

“What happens whenever college comes around? You’ll be alone again? Don’t you want to know how to make friends for that reason.” She states crossing her arms over her chest.

 

I roll my eyes. “Oh like it’s that hard to make a friend.”

 

She snorts. “If it’s not that hard then why don’t you have more friends?”

 

My eyes flit to her to send her a glare. “It’s not that it’s hard. I just don’t want to.”

 

It was her turn to roll her eyes. “Want to make a bet?”

 

I huff. “Are you serious?”

 

She nods. “How about if you can make at least one more friend in a month I’ll not only stop bugging you about this, I’ll even buy you front row seats to see Astro.”

 

My eyes widen. Front row seats?

 

I bring my hand to my lip to bite on one of my fingernails. I loved Astro so much and I’ve only seen them once. Moonbin was my love.

 

“Oh, and I’ll even buy two meet and greet passes to throw in.” She shrugs out of the corner of my eye.

 

I swallow. There had to be a catch though, right?

 

“And what if I lose?” I question her.

 

Not that I was giving in or anything...

 

She hums. “I’ll just have the self-satisfaction that I was right that you at making friends. That you’re too shy.”

 

I really didn’t want to agree to this but there was a gnawing feeling in my gut. One that had me wanting to agree instantly.

 

“Okay deal. No backing out!” I turn to face her.

 

She laughs. “Oh my god you’re actually agreeing to this? I wasn’t expecting you to.”

 

“Shut up, you’d best be saving up.” I huff rushing past her.

 

-

 

In my room I pace back and forth nervous about how I was going to pull this off.

 

I pull out my phone and pull up Hayoung’s contact.

 

I dial her quickly.

 

She answers shortly after. “What’s up?”

 

“I need help!” I say desperately.

 

“Okay?”

 

“I made a bet with Jiyoon that I could make another friend in a month in order to get Astro tickets.” I say quickly.

 

“Holy , no way!” She laughs.

 

“Yeah...so like what should I do?” I frown into the phone. “How am I going to make a friend in that short amount of time?”

 

I shouldn’t have made it sound so easy!

 

“There’s a party tonight? That’s a perfect place to meet friends, maybe you could drink some to ease your nerves too?” She suggests.

 

A party? That wasn’t my scene. Drinking as well? Never done that before, probably wasn’t a good idea.

 

But at this point I was up for anything in order to get those tickets.

 

“Okay let's do it.”

 

“Oh my god, where did the real Lee Jina go?” Hayoung states shocked. “Never mind forget I said that. I’m on my way to pick you up, get ready!”

 

-

 

Hayoung arrives thirty minutes later, she’s dressed in a short dress that made me do a double take. Hayoung has partied before, but I had never seen her before going. It surprised me to see her like this.

 

She glances down at my school shirt and basketball shorts and sighs.

 

“Good thing I brought something for you to wear.” She shoves me back down the hall.

 

“Huh?” I groan as she shoves me into my room.

 

“Put these on.” She stuffs two articles of clothing into my hand. I glance down at the clothing. It was a matching crop top and skirt.

 

“But can’t I just wear this?” I gesture to my attire.

 

She laughs. “You want to make friends, right?”

 

I frown. “Ugh, fine.”

 

-

 

We pull up to the party and its apparently already in full swing because there were cars everywhere.

 

Hayoung’s brother lets us off up front and leaves us to head to work. As he parts he lectures her to be safe.

 

I almost jump back into the car but he speeds of leaving me in the dust. There was no going back now.

 

I turn to face the house. It was huge.

 

“Whose place is this?” I ask as we step up onto the sidewalk.

 

“Adachi Yuto’s. His parents still live in Japan but they bought this house for him. Apparently, Kang Hyunggu and Jung Wooseok also live here with him.”

 

I nod, she wraps her arm around mine and tugs me to the front door.

 

I raise my hand to knock but she laughs pushing the door open. “You don’t knock, no one would hear you.”

 

“Oh...” I say awkwardly as she drags me inside.

 

-

 

I shouldn’t have made that deal.

 

I have been here for fifteen minutes now and I have absolutely no idea how to even begin to make a friend.

 

Hayoung comes back from the kitchen holding three shot glasses full of alcohol. She smiles and hands me one.

 

“What is this?” I look down.

 

“Don’t know?” She laughs. “Drink it, it’ll take the edge off. But no more than two of those, got it!”

 

“Okay.” I hum before slowly pulling the glass to my lips. The liquid burns as it passes down my throat but I swallow it to get it over with.

 

“God.” I shake my head. That was kind of awful.

 

“One more!” She cheers handing me the third shot glass, holding the two empty one’s in her hand.

 

I quickly down the second one before handing it over to her.

 

“Alright time to make friends! I’m going to leave you be for a bit to kind of force you to talk to other people! Okay!” She cheers.

 

“What?” My eyes widen. “Hayoung!”

 

Her eyes flit over my shoulder. “Oh Yuto!” She glances back at me. “I gotta go!”

 

She rushes off leaving me alone.

 

This .

 

I end up in the kitchen searching for some water but my eyes find more alcohol. I swallow, maybe just a little bit more won’t hurt? I don’t even feel anything yet.

 

I move forward grabbing a bottle of clear alcohol not even bothering reading the name. I wouldn’t even know what it was if I did. I pour a half of a solo cup up and take a couple of sips of it.

 

“Hey there.” Someone is suddenly beside me and I freeze up.

 

I glance in their direction. It was a guy, one I don’t recognize.

 

“Hello.” I murmur.

 

He smiles, “I haven’t seen you around before?”

 

Was that him asking for my name?

 

“Ah, I don’t usually go to these things. I’m Jina.” I manage to add a smile in at the end.

 

He leans forward and I am suddenly uncomfortable. “I’m Jaehyun, it’s nice to meet you Jina.”

 

I nod and quickly start to back up.

 

“Uh, you too.” I awkwardly say back.

 

Suddenly his arm is around my waist tugging me against him. “Oh god.” My eyes widen.

 

I could smell the alcohol on his breath, I never should’ve come tonight.

 

“What do you say we head upstairs? Hmm Jina?” He leans forward and I once again lean my head back as far as he’d allow me to.

 

“No I’m sorry but I’m not looking for...that.” I say trying to inch my way out of his grasp.

 

He chuckles. “Are you playing hard to get?”

 

“Please can you let me go?” I manage to separate myself from him but he moves to step forward again.

 

Someone cuts in between us grabbing a cup.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry, I just really needed a drink.”

 

I glance up and see it was Kang Hyunggu. He was still standing in between the two of us. He was staring in Jaehyun’s direction.

 

“Oh, hey Hyunggu!” Jaehyun’s voice slurs.

 

“I think Jungwoo is looking for you Jaehyun.” Hyunggu says.

 

“Oh is he?” Suddenly Jaehyun is sprinting off.

 

Hyunggu drops his cup and glances at me. “What are you doing here?”

 

Me? Did he know me? I mean yeah, we went to the same school and everything but like Kang Hyunggu was one of the most popular guy’s in school?

 

“I don’t know, I just wanted to try it out for once.” I shrug, I glance down at the still half full cup of liquor in front of me. This was awkward.

 

I pull the cup up to take it all down in one go. I get about two gulps down before he’s pulling the cup away from me.

 

“Hey!” I reach out towards it. He pulls it towards his face and smells it.

 

He shakes his head. “Good god, half a cup of Crown Royal? Have you even drunk before?”

 

I swallow. “No.”

 

He quickly downs the remainder of my cup. “No more to drink, you’re gonna regret drinking what you already have in a bit anyways.”

 

I lean forward. “You’re not my boss.”

 

He snorts. “I’m not, but this is my house.”

 

I pout crossing my arms over my chest. “You’re mean.”

 

He laughs. “She’s already gone, isn’t she?”

 

“I’m not gone, I’m right here.” I say confused.

 

He stifles another laugh, which kind of made me feel giddy inside. Hyunggu’s laugh was beautiful.

 

“Want to dance? Wooseok just put the music on.” He says leaning forward.

 

“I’ve never danced before, is it fun?”

 

He seems surprised. “You’ve never danced?” He tugs on my hand. “There’s a first time for everything.”

 

Out on the dance floor everything around me was a blur, I could manage to make out Hyunggu at times but I mainly just saw a blur.

 

Once the second song ended I slowed to a stop and my legs gave out, a pair of arms catches me before I hit the ground.

 

“This is why I told you you’re gonna regret it.” Hyunggu’s voice echoes in my ear. I look up and come face to face with him. My hand rests on his cheek, I oddly found him handsome all of the sudden. I mean of course I knew he was but I had never looked at him this close before.

 

Hyunggu stares back momentarily before hiking me up bridle style into his arms. “Let’s get you to a bed.”

 

-

 

Hyunggu stumbles up the stairs and down the hall until he’s entering a room and laying me down onto a bed. He leans over me to lay my head down softly.

 

Right at that moment the door swings open and Hayoung’s shoving Hyunggu away from me.

 

“What the hell are you doing?” Hayoung growls glaring at Hyunggu. She yanks me up out of the bed and manages to pull me out of the room.

 

-

 

The next morning, I wake up in Hayoung’s bed. I groan, my head was pounding and I felt so nauseous.

 

I slowly sit up and groan once again. I move my feet to the edge of the bed and stand up. As soon as I’m up I rush to the bathroom to throw up.

 

“Oh god.” I mutter afterwards. My head looms over the toilet confused.

 

What happened last night?

 

I hear footsteps out in the room before they slowly enter the bathroom.

 

“Yah, you fool.” Hayoung growls. My head aches from her voice.

 

“What happened?” I question her.

 

“What the hell did I say about not drinking more than two shots? What else did you drink?” She runs a hand through her hair. I lower my gaze to the toilet again. “I caught you in Kang Hyunggu’s bed.”

 

My head shoots up. “What?”

 

“Yeah you idiot. I said make friends, what did you do? You drank until you almost lost your ity to Kang ing Hyunggu!” She huffs.

 

I did what?

 

“I don’t remember that!” I sheepishly say.

 

“Yeah you’re lucky I saw him carry you upstairs. That was totally going to make a move on you, he was leaning over you whenever I burst in!” She begins pacing back and forth.

 

I rack my brain for anything, just something from last night.

 

“No more to drink. Want to dance?” I can faintly remember talking to him.

 

I shiver. Oh my god I am never drinking again.

 

“Thanks, Hayoung for coming to get me.”

 

“Of course, what kind of best friend let’s her friend lose her ity to Kang Hyunggu. Especially looking the way you did when he carried you upstairs.”

 

What would’ve happened had Hayoung not came to help me?

 

My mind flicks back to the Jaehyun guy trying to make a move on me. And then Hyunggu stepping between us. From what I can remember he didn't seem too bad?

 

-

 

Monday came quickly. This marks 3 days into the month I have to make a friend. I had a feeling I had made a huge mistake making this bet.

 

Someone clears their throat behind me. I turn around confused.

 

There stood Kang Hyunggu.

 

My eyes widen. What was he doing here?

 

“Can I talk to you?” He asks awkwardly.

 

I glance around, a couple of people were staring in our direction so I felt the urge to agree.

 

“Uh yeah, I guess.” I say sheepishly.

 

-

 

We end up down the hall near the library where it was less crowded.

 

“I just wanted to clear any misunderstandings. I didn’t take you to my room to do anything, your legs gave out and it looked as if you were going to fall asleep at any second.” He pauses. “I’m not like that, if I had known you came with a friend I would’ve taken you to her instead.” He wrings his hands together and I bite my lip. I had never seen this side of him before. He always walked around looking confident. Confident and too good for me.

 

This side seemed more human.

 

“I just didn’t want you to feel uncomfortable, and I didn’t want you and your friend to think I’m some monster.” He says lowering his head.

 

“It’s okay.” I stammer out. “I remember how you stepped in and saved me from Jaehyun, so I believe you.”

 

“You do!” He says suddenly a smile cracks on his face.

 

“Mmm.” I hum.

 

“Okay great. I’m really not like that, and if my mom heard that she would kill me. She’s always taught me to respect women.” He laughs awkwardly.

 

I nod. “Thanks for coming to clear the misunderstanding.”

 

“Thank you for listening.” He nods his head. “Okay I’ll be heading to class then.”

 

-

 

“Are you sure he was telling the truth?” Hayoung asks.

 

It seemed that way.

 

She slowly nods. “I mean I guess he wasn’t like in between your legs or anything.” She thinks back. “He was just sitting to the side of you, maybe he was lying you back onto the bed?”

 

I nod. “Maybe.”

 

“Maybe you should still like get a no-contact contract just in case. Like you never know?”

 

“Isn’t that going a little far?” I ask her.

 

She shrugs. “Seems fine to me.”

 

I shake my head. “I’m not going to make things complicated by signing a contract like that.”

 

A contract is all business anyways. It would be annoying to deal with. Plus, they only last so long.

 

Something clicks in my brain. A contract.

 

I could make a friendship contract! I could fake my way into getting those Astro tickets!

 

But who would even sign a friendship contract? My head lifts up to see Hyunggu enter the cafeteria.

 

I lower my gaze. But then lift it back to him.

 

Hyunggu?

 

He would essentially be perfect, he’s popular so it would look like his friends were also mine.

 

Would he be down to do this though?

 

-

 

After school I found myself standing by his locker. He comes around the corner. Yuto at his side but they both stop when they see me. Yuto sends him a look before backing up and around the corner again.

 

Did he even know my name? Or was it just my face?

 

“Can I talk to you?” I ask him.

 

He nods. “Yeah sure, what do you need?”

 

“Not here, I would like it to be more private.” I say glancing around.

 

“Okay?” He says confused.

 

-

 

We ended up outside at one of the picnic tables. He sat across from me.

 

“I have something to say to you.” I work up the courage to ask him.

 

He clears his throat. “Um you aren’t asking me out right?”

 

I snort. “Of course not.”

 

He quickly breathes relieved. “Good because I’m not into dating right now.”

 

I roll my eyes, of course he isn’t. He can mess around with anyone he wants why would he want to date?

 

“I know this is going to sound stupid but will you make a friendship contract with me?” I say looking up at him.

 

“Huh?” He says confused.

 

I sigh. “Look my older sister bet that I couldn’t make a new friend in a month. I don’t plan on losing this bet, so like I need a friend. And I figured this was the best way.”

 

Hyunggu frowns. “Or you could you know try and make a friend?”

 

I shake my head no. “I don’t want to; this friendship contract is what I want.”

 

“What exactly is a friendship contract?” He asks.

 

“It’s basically a fake friendship, one that will end in a month.” I shrug.

 

He seems taken back. “Why don’t you want to make a real friend?”

 

I glance at him. “I just don’t want to.”

 

He seemingly thinks things over for a bit longer. “What do I get out of this?”

 

“I can help you with homework?” I suggest. “I just really don’t want to lose this bet Kang Hyunggu. If I do my sister will never stop bugging me about making friends.”

 

He snorts. “I guess if it’s only for a month I could do it.”

 

I whip my head towards him. “Really?”

 

He nods. “Yeah, oh and I get two more things. I haven’t decided what those are yet but you have to let me do whatever it is I want once I decide!”

 

I glare at him. “Nothing ual!”

 

He gasps. “You think so lowly of me, Lee.”

 

I roll my eyes. I pull out a piece of paper with some rules on it and place it in front of Hyunggu.

 

He reads it slowly smirking at some of the rules.

 

1. Hang out often. Sometimes alone, sometimes with others.

2. Go to events together.

3. No falling in love with each other.

4. To be there for each other.

5. Hang out at each other’s places.

6. Introduction to family’s as friends.

7. Jina must help Hyunggu with any homework he needs help with.

8. Contract will end after 1 month.

9. After 1 month the parties do not have to continue being friends.

10. No one should ever know this friendship was contracted/fake.

 

“Add an 11th one about doing whatever I want once I decide what it is.” He shrugs. “Then I’ll sign.”

 

I jot down the new rule and sign my own name on it before sliding it back to him. He shakes his head before signing the paper.

 

“Alright, friend.” I place my hand out for him to shake.

 

He laughs and shakes my hand. “Call me Hyunggu.”

 

“You can call me Jina.” I smile, this wasn’t so bad.

 

-

 

I went home that night and walked my happy straight to Jiyoon’s room. I swing her door open and she whips her head towards me.

 

“I have a friend.” I smirk towards her. I mean he was a contracted friend. But still, she’d never know.

 

She laughs. “You expect me to believe that?”

 

I nod. “I do! His name is Kang Hyunggu.” I firmly state.

 

“Isn’t Kang Hyunggu the most popular boy in your class?” She snorts. “Jina you do know that just because you talk to someone doesn’t mean you’re friends?”

 

I scoff. “I’m not an idiot.”

 

I huff pulling my phone from my pocket. “Look I even have his number.”

 

She rolls her eyes. “That proves nothing.”

 

I raise my hands into the air. “What do you want me to do? Call him to prove it?”

 

She hums. “Yeah, call him and invite him over tonight.”

 

My heart almost stops. This soon? I wasn’t expecting to have to introduce him to my family for at least another week.

 

I swallow pulling my phone up to click on his contact information. “Fine I will.”

 

This little better answer.

 

I pull the phone to my ear after hitting the call button. It rings twice before he’s answering.

 

“You’re calling already? What you miss me or something?” I could tell he had a smug look on his face even though I couldn’t see him.

 

“Oh hey Hyunggu!” I say, my voice awkwardly raising a few octaves.

 

“You sound weird, is something wrong?” He asks, seeming a bit serious now.

 

I laugh. “No no, well yeah. My sister wants to meet you.”

 

“The one who made the bet with you?” He asks seemingly catching on.

 

“Mmm.” I lock eyes with Jiyoon who seems somewhat surprised I had called him.

 

“Right now?” Hyunggu sighs.

 

“Yeah.” I reply sheepishly.

 

“Send me your address, I’ll be there shortly.” He replies.

 

“Okay awesome!” I reply hanging up.

 

I smirk towards Jiyoon. “He’s on his way.”

 

slightly parts open. “I’d better go clean.”

 

Once she’s run past me I quickly type up a message to Hyunggu. I type my address and apartment number in and that my dad and little brother would be here too.

 

I hold my phone to my chest. I was actually super nervous. Hyunggu and I really weren’t friends how were we supposed to act?

 

We weren’t even given the time to go over things about each other.

 

I let out a low sigh before rushing downstairs to wait for him to arrive.

 

Jiyoon was scrubbing the kitchen table when I got downstairs. I stare at her like she’s gone crazy.

 

“Good god why are you cleaning so intensely?” I snort.

 

“You have a guy coming over.” She states. “The house should be clean!”

 

I huff. “For god’s sake it’s just my friend, who gives a if the place is clean or not?”

 

She stands up straight. “I do!”

 

The doorbell rings and she freezes. “He’s here already?”

 

I blink confused. Was he?

 

“I’ll go see.” I rush down the hall. I open the door and sure enough Hyunggu was behind the door.

 

He offers me a small smile. “Did you know you live on the same street as my mom?”

 

My mouth drops. “I do?”

 

He nods. “Mmm, she lives in the apartment complex across the street.” He throws his thumb over his shoulder gesturing towards his mom’s place. I guess I was expecting him to come from Yuto’s?

 

“You learn something new every day.” I quickly yank on his arm pulling him inside. “Don’t this up, Kang.”

 

He rolls his eyes. “Keep calling me Kang and you’ll be the one to things up, Jina.” He winks.

 

I send him a small glare before Jiyoon’s voice is interrupting us.

 

“Oh, so he is here!” Jiyoon cheers.

 

I quickly wipe my glare off my face and plant the biggest smile I can on my face. Turning around I throw an arm around Hyunggu.

 

“Hey sis, this is my friend Hyunggu.” I bat my eyes up towards Hyunggu, who sends me a what the was I doing look.

 

He snorts under his breath. “Hello, I’m Kang Hyunggu. It’s nice to meet you.” He bows.

 

“You too, I’m Jina’s older sister Jiyoon.” She rushes forward. “Come on in and have a seat!”

 

Jiyoon rushes off to grab some drinks leaving us alone again.

 

I immediately drop my arm from around him. “This is hell.” I murmur.

 

Hyunggu laughs. “Let’s go before she comes back out.”

 

We head into the living room and sit down. Jiyoon quickly returning to question the hell out of us.

 

She happily claps once she’s situated in a seat. God this was so awkward.

 

“So, how’d you guys meet?” She smiles wide.

 

Hyunggu smiles softly. “At a party, but I’ve known about her for a while. I mean we are in the same grade and everything.”

 

I glance at him, so he knows about me? What exactly?

 

Jiyoon smiles. “What do you like about her?”

 

“Yah, we aren’t dating. Why would you ask something like that?” I exclaim slapping a hand down on my knee.

 

“I’m just curious to see what made him want to be friends with you?” She simply says a smile still on her face. Did she possibly still not believe me? Was she onto my fake friend business?

 

Hyunggu hums. “I think I’m just curious about her. She’s always quiet, nice, and smart and not the party type. But I saw that she was at that one, so I was confused. She was also being hit on by this guy and looked uncomfortable. I knew that she was uncomfortable so I stepped in. That’s when I realized how completely wasted she was going to be. She drank a crap ton of Crown Royal.”

 

I suddenly begin to cringe. “Yah, Hyunggu shut up.” I nudge him.

 

He smirks. “I asked her to dance with me and she basically passed out. So I took her to lie down in my room.”

 

Jiyoon’s eyes widen.

 

Hyunggu notices. “However, her friend found us and decided to take her home instead.”

 

Hyunggu shrugs. “So since we only got to talk for a short moment I was disappointed that I didn’t get to know her.”

 

Jiyoon seems confused still.

 

Hyunggu doesn’t know what else to say so I step in.

 

“So today we hung out at school and decided we’d become friends.” I shrug.

 

Jiyoon doesn’t seem convinced.

 

Hyunggu quickly smiles. “What Jina means is that we hung out today and have decided to try and be friends. I for one think a great friendship will come from this.”

 

I quickly nod. “I agree.”

 

Jiyoon nods as the front door opens. I hear my dad come inside, my younger brother behind him.

 

As they come down the hall and into view both of their eyes immediately go to Hyunggu.

 

My dad smiles. “Kang Hyunggu!” He waves and Hyunggu quickly stands and bows. “Is the baseball team going to be any good this year?”

 

Hyunggu smiles. “If everyone returns to the team in the spring I think we’re going to be great!”

 

My dad chuckles. “That’s great, I love watching you guys play.”

 

Jiseok, my younger brother eyes Hyunggu questioningly. Jiseok was in middle school, a seventh grader so he knew of Hyunggu.

 

“What are you doing here?” Jiseok asks confused.

 

Hyunggu smiles towards Jiseok. “Huh? Oh, Jina and I recently became friends and,” He gestures towards Jiyoon. “Your sister wanted to meet me.”

 

Jiseok nods a smile breaking out on his face. “So that means you’ll be hanging out here more often?”

 

Hyunggu glances at me, but slowly nods. “Yeah of course.”

 

Jiseok pumps his fist into the air. “Yes!”

 

He moves forward closer to Hyunggu. “You have no idea how suffocating it is having two sisters.”

 

“Yah.” Both Jiyoon and I huff.

 

-

 

The next day when I got to school I find Hayoung at her locker. It was pretty much a boring day so far, everything was like usual. The lunch bell rings and we head towards the lunch room.

 

“Hey Jina.” Hyunggu comes up beside me. Hayoung seems confused that he’s here.

 

“Mmm?” I hum towards him.

 

“You guys can sit with us at lunch today if you want.” He says falling into step with us.

 

Why would we sit together?

 

He leans closer. “If you’re going to make people believe we’re friends we need to hang out more.” His voice low enough that Hayoung couldn’t hear.

 

I guess he is right.

 

I glance at Hayoung. “Are you okay with that?”

 

She glances at Hyunggu and back at me. “I mean I guess.”

 

Once we’re sat down at his table we’re introduced to Jung Wooseok, Adachi Yuto, and Yan An. I sat in between Hyunggu and Yanan who slowly ate away at their food.

 

“So Yanan,” I glance at him. He pauses and glances at me. “You’re back.”

 

Yanan was kind of a new student this year, his good looks had everyone talking about him on the first day. However, this wasn’t the first time he was here. Yanan has come and gone from South Korea since we were in Elementary school. He was mainly quiet and aloof but he managed to make friends with Yuto. Which wasn’t too unsurprising as Yuto was Japanese so the both of them had something in common being that they weren’t from here.

 

He seemed not as close to the other two, since he came and went so often. Yuto and him met at the beginning of this school year. Yuto had transferred to our school last year and as soon as he saw Yanan was in a similar situation to him this year he befriended him right away.

 

He nods and chews on some more of his food.

 

I nod. “Are you staying here for the rest of high school or will you be leaving again?”

 

He hums. “I’ll be staying this time around. I find that the more I go back home the more I miss it.”

 

I nod. “Yeah that makes sense.”

 

Hyunggu got up to dump his tray. Yanan squints towards me. “So, like you guys aren’t really friends, are you?”

 

My mouth drops open. Could he tell?

 

“I uh-.” Did I slip up somewhere? If he noticed did that mean Jiyoon noticed?

 

He raises an eyebrow at how I’ve become speechless. He turns back to his food as Hyunggu comes to sit back down.

 

Hyunggu notices I’ve become stiff. “You good?”

 

I slowly nod. I needed to talk to Yanan alone sometime soon.

 

When the final bell rang for school to end I rush to Yanan’s locker. He was already there when I arrived. I tap him on the shoulder to get his attention.

 

He pauses and glances at me. “Yeah?”

 

“Can I talk to you?” I ask awkwardly.

 

He turns away from his locker to face me. “Sure, go ahead.”

 

This wasn’t my preferred location but I guess it would do. “How do you know that Hyunggu and I aren’t really friends?” I join my hands together. “I’ve never had a fake friend before so I don’t really know how to act?”

 

Yanan squints at me seeming slightly confused. “What do you mean by fake friend?”

 

My eyebrows crease, why is he confused? Didn’t he know?

 

“I thought you knew Hyunggu and I weren’t really friends?” I say softly.

 

Yanan nods. “Well yeah but I just like kinda of assumed you two were like secretly dating or something? What exactly is a fake friend? Am I like mistranslating something? Is this slang for something else?”

 

My eyes widen, I totally just gave us away. I slap a hand to forehead.

 

“I’m such an idiot.”

 

Yanan laughs. “I’m still so confused.”

 

I couldn’t just not tell him now? What if he told Hyunggu he knew? I didn’t want him to know that I slipped up and told someone.

 

I glance around him noticing most of the students have vanished for the day so I let out a long sigh. “So, I made a bet with my sister that I could make a friend within one month, if I won she’d get me tickets to see my favorite group. I’m not too great at making friends so I talked Hyunggu into a friendship contract. Which basically means we aren’t really friends, and we probably won’t talk to each other after the month is up. And we agreed to not tell anyone our friendship was fake and I just screwed up because I thought you knew.”

 

Yanan blinks a couple of times. “That’s quite possibly the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.”

 

My shoulders slump, man way to make me feel better Yanan.

 

“But your secret is safe with me.” He shrugs. “However personally I don’t think it’s that hard to make friends, Hyunggu’s a nice guy so he’s going to be easy to get along with. I wouldn’t be surprised if you became real friends by the end of this.”

 

I shake my head. “I highly doubt it, I don’t make friends easily.”

 

He smiles. “You seem easy enough to get along with, are you sure you just don’t push those close to you away making it hard to make friends?”

 

I bite my lip. Yanan knew too much.

 

“No, I’m just kind of anti-social...”

 

He snorts. “Sure you are. That’s why you came all the way here on your own to talk to me rather than like indirectly doing so.”

 

I cross my arms over my chest. “You’re kind of sassy you know that?”

 

He shrugs, “So I’ve heard.”

 

Hayoung comes around the corner as I finish up my conversation with Yanan. She sends me a confused look as she moves to her locker on the opposite side of Yanan’s.

 

“Well I’ll see you tomorrow.” Yanan says grabbing his backpack.

 

“Bye.” I nod my head towards him before moving next to Hayoung.

 

She glances at me and then back at Yanan as he disappears around the corner. She whips her head back towards me.

 

“Since when were you and Kang Hyunggu friends?” She raises an eyebrow.

 

I shrug. “He’s easy to get along with.” I say using Yanan’s words from earlier. “Plus, I want those tickets so bad.”

 

She snorts. “I just hope he’s not in it for anything other than friendship. I mean he is Kang Hyunggu after all.”

 

I nod, although just from the interactions I’ve had with him so far, he doesn’t seem like a bad guy. Everyone kind of places him, Yuto, Wooseok, and Yanan on a pedestal and assume since they are good looking they that use that to their advantage. Every girl swooned over them so why wouldn’t they take advantage of that.

 

I honestly wasn’t too sure if that was true.

 

But I do remember him saying he wasn’t looking for a relationship right now. So maybe I’ve just not seen that side of him yet?

 

“I’m not too worried about that.” I shake my head.

 

She nods. “I’m happy that you’re making friends at least though. It’s about time we have a big group of people to chill with.”

 

I laugh at her and she smiles.

 

-

 

The next day at lunch we sit with Hyunggu again. Even though it was only the second day eating with them it kind of felt natural. The boys weren’t hard to talk to at all. Though naturally I kept conversations with Wooseok and Yuto short as I didn’t know them all too well. With Hyunggu conversations flew by easily. It was somewhat the same with Yanan. Since he knew about the contract I felt comfortable around him.

 

I left lunch early to head to the bathroom as I was almost late to class because of it yesterday.

 

Once I’m done I move to wash my hands. As I pull a paper towel out to dry my hands the bathroom door opens. I don’t pay attention to it though.

 

I move to leave but notice whoever’s entered is blocking the way. I glance up and make eye contact with Kim Dayeon.

 

I my head to the side confused. What was she doing here?

 

She raises an eyebrow. “Since when were you and Hyunggu close?”

 

I blink at her confused. Oh wait, they used to date, didn’t they?

 

I guess I could somewhat understand why’d she be interested in this then.

 

“Oh, we’re friends now.” I shrug.

 

She snorts. “Are you sure you aren’t getting close to him for another reason?”

 

Did she figure it out as well? No don’t give it away this time.

 

“I don’t know what you mean by that?” I cross my arms over my chest.

 

She laughs. “Don’t play innocent, Hyunggu isn’t the person you think he is. He doesn’t sleep around so give up now.”

 

My arms drop to my sides. “I said we were friends, I’m not looking to sleep with him.”

 

Did she perhaps still like him?

 

She rolls her eyes. “I’m not stupid, there have been many girls like you that have gotten close to him for that exact reason. How are you any different?”

 

I sigh, “Do you even hear me when I talk? This is like a one-way conversation.”

 

She shakes her head at me and stomps out. I let out a long breath, that was extremely unexpected.

 

But I guess her and Hyunggu did date for a long time. I think they got together in eighth grade? So it would be around three years of dating for them? They only just broke up a couple of months ago for reasons I don’t know?

 

She would know him best.

 

-

 

It was the weekend and I was supposed to be hanging out with Hyunggu. So, I show up to his place awkwardly knocking on the door.

 

Hyunggu isn’t the one to answer it’s Wooseok.

 

“Oh, hey Jina!” He smiles opening the door wider for me to enter.

 

“Hey Wooseok.” I smile in return.

 

“Hyunggu’s in the shower, he should be down anytime now.” He says as we walk down the hall. “Until then you can hang with me and Yuto in the living room.”

 

I nod. “Sounds good.”

 

Roughly ten minutes later Hyunggu saunters into the living room noticing I’m here.

 

“Oh hey.” He waves. I turn my head towards him taking in his appearance. He was in casual attire which was weird because I was used to seeing him in a school uniform or dressed up.

He was in a simple purple hoodie and black sweatpants. I’m not going to lie, he actually looked really good in them. But he didn’t need to know that.

 

“Hey.” I nod towards him turning back to the tv to watch Wooseok and Yuto’s avatars fight. They had been playing some video game since I arrived. I didn’t know what the game was but it looked similar to a game my brother played. He made me play games with him all the time so I was mildly intrigued by the game.

 

Hyunggu plops down beside me on the couch. “Have you ever played?”

 

I glance at him. “Not this one, but one similar.”

 

He nods. “Guys we have next round.”

 

Wooseok glances back in our direction. “No way, is Jina really gonna play?”

 

I shrug. “I mean it looks fun so yeah.”

 

Wooseok nods amused.

 

Once their round ends, which consists of Yuto crushing Wooseok last minute I find myself on the floor next to Hyunggu.

 

He smirks towards me. “Ready to get your kicked?”

 

I glare back. “Not a chance.”

 

“Oh I like her already.” Wooseok remarks from behind us.

 

All of my fighting words were a bluff. I had no idea what I was doing on this game. The controller was different for this console so I was totally lost.

 

When the round was over I could feel Hyunggu’s smug self staring at me. I send him a glare and he sticks his tongue out towards me.

 

I shove his shoulder back and he starts laughing. That laugh of his would be the death of me. It instantly makes me smile when I hear it.

 

“Okay okay, hand it back over to the champs now.” Yuto cuts between us. I hand him my controller before standing.

 

Hyunggu hands his controller back to Wooseok standing up beside me. “Wanna go work on homework?” He suggests.

 

I nod, might as well. I end up grabbing my backpack I had left out in the hall and follow him upstairs. Which if I had thought longer about it probably was a bad idea? But I didn’t think too much into it. We end up in his room and when my eyes land on his bed I finally realize what I’ve just walked into.

 

Suddenly I’m on high alert. He wasn’t going to make a move on me, was he?

 

My eyes flit to him, he bends down by his desk to pull his backpack up onto it. He digs around inside of it before pulling out a notebook.

 

Everything’s normal so far.

 

He sits down on his bed and pats the other side suggesting I sit. I awkwardly sit down and pull my backpack to my chest. I open it up and pull out my own notebook.

 

We each separately work on our homework. A half an hour later I’ve relaxed more and Hyunggu’s moved to lying on his stomach while jotting down notes from his textbook.

 

I hear him sigh. “I hate homework.”

 

I snort. “Doesn’t everyone?”

 

“True.” He hums. I hear him set his pencil down. “Let’s take a break.”

 

I glance at him after he’s said that. “Okay?”

 

He looks up at me. “Shouldn’t we take the time to learn about each other? I mean what happens if someone questions us about something a friend would know?”

 

“So like, do we tell each other our favorite colors or what?” I ask a blank expression on my face.

 

Hyunggu laughs. “You’re funny.”

 

“I was being serious!” I exclaim with a huff.

 

He shakes his head moving his elbows out so he can lean on his hands. “How about you tell me the reason why you don’t want to make friends?”

 

My eyes meet his and I stare at him for a couple of seconds. “Why should I tell you that?”

 

He shrugs. “I mean you don’t have to, but I’m interested in knowing why. Have you ever told anyone else why?”

 

My gaze lowers to my hands. “No one knows why.”

 

He sighs. “I’m willing to listen.”

 

My eyes dart up to meet his again. I haven’t even told Hayoung this? Why should I tell him?

 

But then again why couldn’t I tell him? He wasn’t my friend and he also wasn’t related to me. He was kind of like someone I could tell anything to and not worry about the consequences.

 

“I’m afraid to that’s why.” I finally spit it out.

 

“Why?” He hums.

 

I swallow the lump in my throat. “Because I don’t want to lose anyone.”

 

He squints slightly confused. “What do you mean by that?”

 

I let my hands move to my sides to rest on his bedspread. “I just, I don’t like losing people I become close to. If I don’t get to know anyone too well I can’t lose them.”

 

I felt Hyunggu’s eyes on me as a silence follows. “Is this perhaps about your mom?”

 

My eyes dart to him quickly. “How do you know about my mom?”

 

He reaches a hand out to rest on mine. “Jina we’ve went to school together since kindergarten I think I would know.”

 

I didn’t realize other people cared?

 

“If I’m being completely honest, yes the reason behind why I’m like this is because of her.” I bite my lip. “It was so unexpected and sudden. My mom and I were inseparable and I had her ripped from me.”

 

Hyunggu’s grip on my hand tightens. “I can see why you do this then.”

 

I nod. “Thanks for listening.”

 

He pats my hand pulling his hand back to rest underneath his chin.

 

“I understand how you feel though because it when a person you’ve known for so long just isn’t beside you anymore.” He sighs.

 

Was he talking about Dayeon?

 

“Are you talking about Kim Dayeon?” I my head to the side.

 

Hyunggu gets a weird look on his face. “Not necessarily, but I guess that’s a good example.” He nods. “Though my breakup with her was a mutual decision.”

 

“What happened?” Because I mean Dayeon didn’t seem too over him?

 

He laughs. “Well you see people change. She just wasn’t the same person I fell in love with anymore and I’m not the same person who fell in love with her.”

 

I nod, oddly enough hearing him say that kind of makes him charming. He wasn’t really bad mouthing her at all. He was just explaining what happened.

 

“Do I still have feelings for her?” He hums his eyes moving to the side as he thinks. “Maybe? But they aren’t the same anymore.”

 

I close my notebook. “So, then what’s the reason behind why you won’t date?”

 

His eyes meet mine. “You probably already know this but my dad cheated on my mom last year and left us. Before he left they fought all the time and hearing that was unsettling, I don’t want to end up like them. So, I’m afraid to date now.” He shrugs. “Maybe this is also why I changed and didn’t see Dayeon the same way anymore.”

 

“You know you’re completely different from what I imagined you to be like.” I say without thinking.

 

I hear him snort. “What did you think I’d be like?”

 

“I don’t mean to be rude but I kind of expected you to be more of a douche.” I admit with a sheepish smile.

 

He laughs. “You’re just like I imagined you to be.”

 

My smile drops, he thought about me before this? “Is that a good or bad thing?”

 

His laugh continues. “It’s a good thing.”

 

“Explain, what did you imagine me to be like and what am I like?” I poke my finger into his forehead.

 

He raises his shoulder to shrug. “You’re really nice and easy to get along with. Not the shy girl everyone thinks you are. You also are kind of adorable.”

 

I felt heat rising up my neck threatening to rise to my cheeks. “Yah who calls someone adorable!”

 

He winks. “It’s true though.”

 

-

 

The entire next week is spent as usual. We’d eat lunch together and hung out after school a couple of days. I even was fortunate enough to get several glares from Dayeon.

 

On Saturday we all got together and went to a cafe. Hayoung, Yanan, and I sat on one side while Wooseok, Yuto, and Hyunggu sat across from us.

 

After deciding what we wanted Hayoung, Hyunggu, and I went up to the counter to order. Hyunggu was scrolling through his phone next to Hayoung. The line was slightly long but I didn’t mind, we weren’t in any hurry.

 

“Excuse me.” Someone calls out from behind me. I glance behind me and see a guy who looked to be in his mid-twenties staring at me.

 

“Uh yes did you need something?” I question him.

 

His eyes noticeably drop to my legs. “I just wanted to tell you that you have pretty legs.” He bites his lip before his eyes dart back up my legs to my eyes.

 

My eyebrows creased slightly annoyed. I glance down at my legs, I was wearing a pair of short shorts that Hayoung lent me. But that didn’t mean I was asking him to tell me my legs were pretty.

 

“And?” I raise an eyebrow to show I was clearly peeved.

 

He smirks. “What it’s not like you didn’t enjoy my comment?”

 

I felt someone brush up next to me. “And why exactly should she enjoy your comment?” I glance to my side and see Hyunggu was standing beside me.

 

The guys gaze moves to Hyunggu. “This your boyfriend or something?”

 

Hyunggu scoffs. “You don’t get to ask her questions like that, you’re making her uncomfortable.”

 

The guy rolls his eyes. “What’s wrong with telling her that her legs are pretty? It’s a compliment.”

 

Hayoung comes to my other side. “An unwanted compliment.”

 

By now we were drawing attention from those around us so the guy was becoming nervous.

 

“You guys are overreacting.” He waves his hand.

 

Hyunggu steps between me and the guy. “Yah apologize to her.”

 

The guy shakes his head no. “No, I didn’t do anything wrong.”

 

I place my hand on Hyunggu’s shoulder. “Hyunggu, just stop he’s not worth it.”

 

He glances over his shoulder. “But it’s not okay to do that?”

 

“I know but he clearly isn’t going to learn.” I sigh, Hyunggu’s gaze returns to the guy and I felt him let out a huge sigh before he turns back around. He stays between me and the guy the entire time making sure he wasn’t near me.

 

I couldn’t help the small smile that crept up on my face.

 

-

 

On Monday we all sat in homeroom. Hayoung next to me trying not to fall asleep.

 

“As you know the junior class every year takes a trip down to Busan for recreational reasons. The trip is granted only to those who passed the tests last month.” Mr. Oh informs us. “The annual trip is on next Friday. Permission slips will be passed out to those who meet the requirements on Wednesday of this week. Please have them returned to the office by Monday.”

 

I nudge Hayoung. “Hmm?” She lifts her head up off the desk to look at me.

 

“If you meet the requirements are you going to go?” I ask her.

 

She slumps back down onto the desk. “Probably not. I’ll probably skip school and sleep in.”

 

“If you’re not going I’m not going.” I reply with a sigh. “I wouldn’t have anyone to hang out with if you don’t go.”

 

She snorts. “What are you talking about? I’m almost certain Hyunggu, Yanan, Yuto, and Wooseok will have the grades to go.”

 

Oh, that was right.

 

I pout towards her. “But it won’t be the same if you’re not there.”

 

She rolls her eyes. “You’re a baby.”

 

I lay my head down on her shoulder. “Your Baby.”

 

She laughs. “I’ll go but only if Hyunggu makes you go, which I know he will.”

 

I lift my head up off her. “He can’t make me do anything.”

 

She covers as she almost bursts out laughing. “Sure he can’t.”

 

I was determined to prove her wrong. We were not going on that trip.

 

-

 

“What do you mean you’re not going on the trip?” Hyunggu asks once we were sat down in the cafeteria.

 

I shrug. “I just don’t want to.”

 

Hayoung laughs from her spot next to Yuto.

 

“That doesn’t make any sense? It’s a free trip to Busan?” Hyunggu states, his food remaining uneaten.

 

Yanan sighs. “I mean she is an idiot.”

 

“Yah!” I elbow Yanan, who laughs. Sassy Yanan came out more often than I thought.

 

Hayoung laughs. “Trust me she’ll end up going, I just know it.”

 

Yanan nods. “You’re probably right.”

 

I raise my hands into the air. “You guys are mean.” It was like they were teaming up against me.

 

Hyunggu claps his hands together. “Ah, I got an idea.” He smirks towards me.

 

I didn’t like that look. It made me feel like I was in for trouble.

 

He leans forward. “Do you remember number eleven?”

 

I squint at him. What is he even talking about?

 

“What?” I eye him like he’s an idiot.

 

His eyes bore into mine like he’s trying to secretly tell me something. He glances away. “You know that contract we saw in our economics homework?” He glances back at me. “You know the eleventh line that both parties had an agreement on?” His eyebrows raise.

 

My shoulders slump. He was talking about the friendship contract and rule number eleven which stated I had to do two things he wanted me to do.

 

“That sounds like a waste of an idea.” I simply reply hoping maybe he would think of something else.

 

“Doesn’t seem like it to me.” He shrugs.

 

“God dammit Hyunggu, fine I’ll go.” I huff in defeat, slouching over onto the table to stuff my face with food.

 

“Yay!” He says happily finally picking up his chopsticks.

 

“What the hell just happened?” Hayoung stares between us.

 

“Friendship.” Yanan laughs smugly. Little had to know this was coming.

 

Wooseok and Yuto who were also lost stare between us.

 

Hyunggu being the smug he is playfully smiles at them playing dumb.

 

-

 

“What do you mean you can’t come over tonight?” Hyunggu whines as I grab my backpack from my locker. It was Friday and tonight it was my mother’s death anniversary. We’d be going downtown to meet with my grandparents to hold a ceremony. Did Hyunggu know that? No, he didn’t. So, I couldn’t really blame him for asking me.

 

“I just can’t okay.” I sigh shutting my locker. “And don’t waste your other request on this because this is something I won’t miss.”

 

He smiles. “I won’t waste my last request on something too similar to the other.”

 

I nod relieved.

 

“Where are you going though?” He asks as we walk down the hall together.

 

I throw my backpack on and grip onto the straps. I stare at my feet as we walk. “It’s my mother’s death anniversary.”

 

Hyunggu stops in his tracks and I pause as well. “Oh, do you want me to go with you?”

 

A small genuine smile appears on my face.

 

“I mean I could introduce myself to her.” He suggests holding his arms out to his side.

 

I let out a low giggle. “No that’s okay. We are staying the weekend with my grandparents.”

 

He nods and smiles. “Tell your mom I said hello for me then and that she raised an adorable daughter.”

 

“Yah!” I go to punch him but he sticks his tongue out and runs off.

 

I stay behind for a moment, I felt weird. Hyunggu was so nice and sweet. It made me happy that he wanted to introduce himself to my mother even though she had passed on.

 

I shake my head and chase after him. I need to hit him for calling me adorable!

 

-

 

On Saturday night I lied in bed earlier than usual. My grandparents went to sleep at eight o’clock so we all had to be in bed then as well.

 

My phone buzzes causing Jiseok to groan and tell me to turn it off. I roll my eyes at him and grab my phone off the bedside table.

 

I had a notification from Snapchat. It was from Hyunggu.

 

It was a selfie of him and the wrods. "Come home soon! It's oddly quiet without u!" 

 

I smile to myself. It was odd not hanging out with him. I had been hanging out with him so much that it was weird to not see him.

 

I quickly send him back a snap of just a black screen saying "Yah I'm supposed to be sleeping Kang!"

 

It was like he said oddly quiet without him. My phone buzzes again in my hand. I click on his newest snapchat he sent me.

 

It was another selfie reading, "Good night! Sleep well!"

 

“Sis, do you like Hyunggu?” Jiseok suddenly says scaring me. I jump at his voice, I thought the little went to sleep.

 

“What makes you think that?” I exclaim locking my phone.

 

Jiseok smirks. “You were staring at the snapchats he sent you and smiling really wide.”

 

I sit up quickly, my face becoming hot. “Yah its not like that.”

 

Jiseok sits up too. “There’s nothing wrong with liking him? He’s a nice guy, I wouldn’t mind having him as a brother in law.”

 

“Lee Jiseok, shush!” I quickly turn my phone off and lay down pulling the blanket up and over my face.

 

“One day you’ll realize you like him whether it be now or next month.” Jiseok sighs.

 

I pull the blankets back down below my face. Next month. My fingers fist the blanket. It would be nice if it wouldn’t come. My heart sinks, in fact it would be nice if time froze on Monday. Because the day we come back from the trip next weekend is the day mine and Hyunggu’s contract ends.

 

And once it ends Hyunggu and I won’t have a reason to hang out anymore.

 

-

 

It was Tuesday night and somehow everyone ended up at my place. We all ended up walking home together and in order to cool off we stopped by my place for a bit.

 

Afterwards we would be going to Hyunggu’s to study, which now that you think about it I hadn’t really helped Hyunggu at all when it came to homework. That was part of our agreement but he hasn’t ever asked?

 

Yuto and Wooseok were currently playing video games with Jiseok. While Hayoung and Yanan were sassing off to one another about some television show they both watched. Hayoung claimed she was the better fan but Yanan thought otherwise.

 

Hyunggu comes back from the bathroom to plop down next to me. We both were being entertained by the sass between the two of them. Hyunggu leans his head down onto my shoulder laughing at Hayoung burning Yanan.

 

I smile, but not because of the playful argument going on between my two friends. But because of the laugh seeping through Hyunggu’s lips. Anytime I heard it I just wanted to bottle it up so I could hear it whenever I wanted.

 

Everyone was so focused on other things that we didn’t hear the front door open. Jiyoon steps into the living room slightly confused.

 

Her eyes go straight to me, glancing between Hyunggu and I and our position.

 

Hyunggu sits up and waves at her.

 

“Jiyoon you’re home!” I stand up and rush to pull her into a hug. She had been away at college until now, she must’ve found the time to come home this weekend.

 

“Mmm.” She hums hugging me back. “This week was a short week because we had exams, plus one of my professors cancelled class.”

 

“I’m glad you’re back.” I pull away.

 

She glances around at everyone seeming happy. “Are these all your friends?”

 

I nod turning to face them. “Yeah they were Hyunggu’s friends but I guess you could call them my friends now too.”

 

She smiles and pats my shoulder.

 

Yuto stands up after the round ends. “I think we have to go, Changgu is waiting for us at the house.”

 

“Alright, sis I’ll see you later. We’re headed to Hyunggu’s place for a bit.” I inform her as everyone shuffled out into the hall.

 

She nods with a huge smile on her face. “Have fun!”

 

-

 

At Hyunggu’s a new face waited for us, well technically his face wasn’t totally new. It was Yeo Changgu, he graduated with Jiyoon so I had seen him before. I also knew that he was friends with Hyunggu in school as well.

 

Hyunggu, Yanan, Yuto, and Wooseok were considered the most handsome in my grade. Yeo Changgu and Ko Shinwon were considered most handsome in my sister’s.

 

Naturally all of them mostly got along.

 

Once inside Changgu greets both me and Hayoung.

 

“Hey you’re Lee Jiyoon’s sister, aren’t you?” He points out.

 

I nod quickly. “Yes I am.”

 

“How is she? Is she liking college so far?” He asks leaning against the wall we were standing next to.

 

I nod. “She’s fine, and yeah she seems to like it so far.” I laugh. “Well as much as you can like school anyways.”

 

He laughs as well, “True, it’s alright so far for me. But yeah it’s still school when it boils down to it.”

 

“What are you going to college for?” I ask mildly intrigued. Jiyoon was going to be a teacher something I could never see myself doing.

 

He leans off the wall. “I’m actually going for computer science.”

 

“Really?” I gasp. “That’s what I’m thinking about going for, is it hard?”

 

He shakes his head no. “For me no, but you know I love that kind of stuff.”

 

I nod. “I do too, I’m really considering it.”

 

He gestures with his hands. “If you want sometime I can show you some of the classes you’d have to take.”

 

I furiously nod my head. “That would be great.”

 

Suddenly an arm is strung over my shoulder. I flinch and turn to see Hyunggu at my side. “Yah, you’re supposed to be challenging me in a video game right now?”

 

I notice Changgu start to smile at the action but he bites his lip. “I’ll leave you two be then.”

 

What’s with him?

 

Hyunggu slides his arm off me to move in front of me. “What were you guys talking about?” He bites his lip glancing over at Yanan who just entered the room with a plate of food.

 

“School, he’s going for a computer science degree and I kind of want to do that too.” I shrug eyeing Yanan’s food myself.

 

“Do you think Changgu is good looking?” Hyunggu leans closer into my personal space.

 

I squint at him. Why would he need to know that? “I mean yeah I guess doesn’t everyone think he’s good looking?”

 

Hyunggu shrugs. “What about me? Do you think I’m good looking?”

 

Was he serious?

 

“Are you fishing for compliments right now, Kang Hyunggu?” I huff taking a step back.

 

“I just wanna know.” He pouts.

 

I roll my eyes. “Of course you’re good looking, don’t people tell you that every day?”

 

A big smile spreads across his face, “I hear it often but I haven’t heard it come from your lips.”

 

A pit in my stomach twists causing a tingling sensation to rise. I might just have to tell him he’s good looking more often if he’s going to showcase a smile like that every time I do.

 

He leans forward smoothing one side of my hair down. “You’re pretty too.”

 

I almost stop breathing at his comment.

 

“Th-thank you.” I stutter out. God dammit, why did you have to stutter Jina?

 

He wraps one of his arms around mine and tugs me to play video games.

 

-

 

At home that night I run into Jiyoon who tugs me into her room quickly.

 

“What do you want? I’m tired.” I whine as she rushes over to her desk picking something up.

 

She returns to stand in front of me before gesturing for me to put my hands out. I slouch but put my hands out anyways.

 

She sits an envelope down into them and tells me to open it.

 

So I slowly do, my eyes widen at seeing the tickets to see Astro I had made this whole bet over.

 

“You’ve won the bet so I figured I’d go ahead and hand them over.” She smiles taking my hands into her’s. “Honestly, I didn’t think you could do it, but look at you now. You have so many friends.”

 

I nod, the tingling feeling in my stomach from earlier that I had come home with disappears. It’s taken over by the feeling of guilt. I was lying to her. I honestly didn’t think about this whenever I came up with the plan. About how awful of a person I am for lying to her over this.

 

“Thanks.” I murmur quietly.

 

“You don’t seem happy about these?” She says noticing my facial expression. “What’s wrong?”

 

I wave my hands out into the air to dismiss anything she was thinking. “Sorry I’m just tired, that’s all.”

 

She nods. “Go to sleep!”

 

-

 

Friday, I arrive at school early in the morning. It was the day of the junior trip. My dad drove me there and dropped me off.

 

I carry my small bag and backpack up to the bus that students are already loading onto. Hayoung had texted me this morning griping about how it was too early, but she had arrived a half hour before I did so she clearly didn’t need to get up as early as she did.

 

I hand my bag off to Mr. Oh and move to the line to get on the bus. I seemed to be one of the last few here. The line moves moderately slow, when I get on my eyes immediately find Hyunggu.

 

He waves standing up waving me over. I move over towards him. “Morning!”

 

He was too cheerful in the mornings. “Hey Hyunggu.” I stand in the aisle beside his seat.

 

“Do you...”

 

“Excuse me.” Someone interrupts him from behind me. “Is someone sitting here?”

 

I glance back and I’m face to face with Dayeon. She is smiling towards me, but it was one of the fakest smiles I’ve ever seen. She was pointing at the empty seat next to Hyunggu.

 

“Actually...” Hyunggu starts out.

 

I shake my head towards him. “No, it’s empty as far as I know.”

 

Maybe this would give them the chance to get back together.

 

“Jina...” Hyunggu starts out but Dayeon cuts him off.

 

“Okay awesome.” She steps closer to Hyunggu causing him to back up into his seat.

 

I force a smile onto my face and turn around to find another seat. Luckily, I noticed Hayoung was by herself as she was taking up two seats to herself.

 

As I walk away from Hyunggu my heart sinks, my shoulders slumping as well.

 

I nudge Hayoung. “Yah sit up.”

 

She groans. “I hate you for talking me into this trip. Who gets up this early?”

 

I sit down and glance back up at Hyunggu and Dayeon. They seemed to be fine. A light conversation going on between the two.

 

I sigh and lean back in my seat Hayoung resting her head onto my shoulder.

 

The last person on the bus was Yanan who noticeably stares at Hyunggu and Dayeon as he passes them by. He ends up behind me and Hayoung near the built-in restroom in the back. As he passes by he sends me an odd look.

 

-

 

We arrive at the hotel hours later and pile off. Hayoung and Yanan join me as we walk in. Once we’re all inside we are handed our room assignments that were worked out earlier in the week. I was with Hayoung.

 

Mr. Oh tells us it’s basically our trip to do whatever we want but that we had a curfew to be back by. If we weren’t we’d face big punishments.

 

“Well I’m heading to the beach to swim, you coming?” Hayoung asks both Yanan and I.

 

I shake my head no. “I didn’t bring a swimsuit.”

 

She gasps. “Dude you knew we were coming to the beach?”

 

I shrug. “Swimming isn’t really my thing.”

 

Hayoung glances at Yanan. “Tell her how lame she is!”

 

Yanan moves from her side to mine. “I can’t swim so I guess I’m lame as well.”

 

Hayoung’s mouth drops. “Y’all are no fun!”

 

She spots Yuto and Wooseok as they pass by. “Hey are you guys going to beach?” She takes off after them.

 

I glance at Yanan. “We can hang out in my room if you want? We can call room service and watch movies.

 

He nods. “Let’s do it!”

 

Yanan sat in my hotel room later that night. He had a face mask on and was lying on Hayoung’s bed. Hayoung had come back an hour ago but left to eat dinner with Yuto and Wooseok so we had the room to ourselves.

 

“A month is over tomorrow.” I mutter to him starring down at my hands. “Everything will end.”

 

Yanan glances at me, smoothing some more of his face mask onto his face. “And why do you think that?”

 

“Well the contract ends, why would Hyunggu and I want to hang out after it ends?” I peel my own mask off with a sigh.

 

Yanan laughs. “Just because the contract ends doesn’t mean your friendship does?”

 

I sit up straighter tossing the used face mask into the trash. “But we aren’t really friends? It was all fake.”

 

I wasn’t going to lie, I was going to miss Hyunggu’s infectious laugh, his beautiful smile, and just having him to rely on. He had been there for me for a full month, it was going to be weird without him by my side.

 

Yanan rolls his eyes. “Fake my . Are you really that blind?”

 

I swallow. “What do you mean?”

 

“Y’all may not be friends after this, but there’s a possibility for something more,” he snorts, tearing his face mask off.

 

“Huh?” I squint towards him.

 

“Dude he likes you. It’s so obvious, I bet he’s waiting at the beach for you right now.” He remarks tossing his face mask at me.

 

The face mask lands on my lap and I glance down at it. “Why would he like me?”

 

Yanan sighs and stands up moving to sit beside me. “Jina, it’s not that hard to like someone. I’m betting he had an interest in you from the beginning, like who in their right mind agrees to a friendship contract?”

 

I glance up at him. “You really think so?”

 

“Mmm.” He hums. “The question is do you like him as well?”

 

I glance down at his used face mask in my lap and my fingers pick at it aimlessly. Did I like Hyunggu?

 

Was mine and Hyunggu’s relationship any different from mine and Yanan’s?

 

Yanan who, I am going to just admit it somehow became friends with in the span of a month. Without planning it?

 

I think it was different.

 

I didn’t yearn for Yanan’s laugh or smile. I also didn’t yearn to see Yanan, I mean I was happy to see him anytime but it wasn’t like how it was with Hyunggu.

 

It wasn’t like this at first with Hyunggu either. We argued and teased each other more often than not. But nowadays even just a Snapchat from him could have me smiling.

 

“I think so.” I say under my breath, quiet enough that he might not hear it.

 

Yanan seems to have heard me anyways. He rests a hand on my shoulder to comfort me.

 

“Do you really think he’s at the beach waiting for me?” I glance at him.

 

He snorts. “I’d say it’s an eighty-five percent chance he is.” He pulls the face mask out of my hands and chucks it at the trashcan. “Now go find lover boy so he can quit sulking.”

 

I slowly nod before pulling a thin jacket over my tank top. “Thanks, Yanan.”

 

“No problem.”

 

-

 

I step into the sand and the cool night breeze sends a chill across my skin. The sun had set a while ago, so I was kind of expecting to be disappointed and not find Hyunggu out here because it was late. He probably gave up by now. Or he was with Dayeon?

 

But surprisingly Yanan was right.

 

Hyunggu was sitting on the left side of the beach near where the water was washing up every now and then. One of the pole lamps from the hotel slightly illuminated him. I take a deep breath before moving in his direction.

 

He seems to hear me coming as his head turns towards me. I slowly sit down next to him.

 

“Hey.” I murmur towards him, looking out towards the endless sea.

 

“Hey.” He replies.

 

“I hope you don’t mind if I join you.” I mumble glancing at him. I expected him to be staring out at the sea, as it was a breathtaking view but he wasn’t. He was staring right at me. I gulp and slightly lower my gaze.

 

“I don’t mind.” He says.

 

“Are you mad?” I ask him. I mean we didn’t sit on the bus together on the way here like he wanted to.

 

“No, but I still don’t understand why you blew me off like that.” He shrugs his shoulders.

 

I shrug as well. “Dayeon wanted to sit with you, I figured you’d rather her than me. I mean she is the ex-girlfriend you weren’t sure if you were over yet. Plus, Hayoung was by herself.”

 

He sighs. “I didn’t want to sit with Dayeon, I wanted to sit with you, Jina.”

 

My eyes raise to his. “I even asked your brother what snacks you liked last night and went to buy them for you this morning.”

 

I gape at him, he did? “Why did you do that?”

 

He shakes his head. “I don’t know, why would I do that Jina?” He raises an eyebrow. “Why would I go out of my way to ask your brother what you like and then go buy it for you?”

 

I lower my gaze once again. So, was Yanan right again? Did Hyunggu really like me?

 

My gaze raises back to his. His hand reaches up pulling my thin jacket back over my shoulder. I didn’t even realize it had fallen off.

 

He leans back, resting on his hands as his eyes tear away from mine. He seems slightly disappointed that I haven’t said anything.

 

I swallow, here goes nothing.

 

I inch closer to him and he instantly notices. His eyes fix on me as I scoot across the sand towards him, that beautiful smile of his works its way onto his face. His hands reach out for me, I felt one of his hands rest on the backside of my thigh as he tugs me over and onto his lap.

 

My knees dig into the sand on either side of his hips our faces inches away from one another.

 

“Lee Jina, you’re so beautiful.” He murmurs before his lips descend upon mine. His hands are planted on my back keeping me flush against him while one of mine holds onto his neck, the other resting over his shoulder slowly moving to his already messy hair.

 

We pull back shortly after and I awkwardly glance away.

 

“What?” He says drawing my attention back to him.

 

I glance back down at his lips. “Nothing.”

 

He takes that as a good sign and joins our lips together once more. This time the kiss more intimate.

 

-

 

When we got on the bus the next morning I smile towards Hyunggu who had an open seat next to him. As everyone sees me get on the bus a few people howl and clap. My heart drops into my stomach, did they know?

 

I quickly sit down next to Hyunggu and glance at him. “You didn’t tell anyone about last night, did you?”

 

Hyunggu sends me a questioning look. “No of course not.” He hums, leaning his head down on my shoulder. As he does I make eye contact with Dayeon who had just stepped onto the bus.

 

She has a small smirk on her face but I ignore it. Don’t entertain her Jina. You’re better than her.

 

-

 

When we arrive back at the school I head to the back of the bus while Hyunggu collects our stuff from the seats. Mr. Oh hands me my luggage and I turn around coming face to face with Dayeon.

 

She smiles at me. “Did you have a fun time last night?”

 

My smile drops. Did she see?

 

“You see I did too whenever he came to my room last night once you were back in yours.” She smirks and I felt as if every ounce of trust I’ve built in him was threatening to fall.

 

“I don’t understand what you mean? Hyunggu and I are just friends.” I reply lying through my teeth. I mean I didn’t exactly know what we were after last night. But I’m sure friends wasn’t the answer.

 

“Friends don’t do what you two did last night, unless of course you’re a and do that often.” She laughs and shrugs. “I wanted to warn you that he came to my room, but if you’re,” she raises her fingers into the air to note she was being sarcastic. “‘Just friends’ then I guess you don’t deserve to know.”

 

She slinks off right as Hyunggu comes off the bus. My heart settles in my stomach as he comes to stand before me holding out my backpack. I take it into my hands.

 

“Did you go to Dayeon’s room last night after you met with me?” I say getting straight to the point.

 

He eyes me sheepishly raising his hand to rub at the back of his neck. “Uh yeah-.”

 

“Are you kidding me?” I cut him off. “What do you take me for?”

 

“Jina, you’re-.” He starts but I shove his luggage into his arms.

 

“Enough, Kang Hyunggu. Just stop.” I say quickly stepping back as he took a step forward. “This,” I gesture between us. “It was never going to work out.”

 

“Jina.” He states his eyes boring into mine.

 

“Today is the last day of the contract, in,” I glance down at my watch. “Ten minutes the contract is void anyways.”

 

“Jina, at least let me take you home.” He says frantically. “Give me a chance to explain things.”

 

“No,” I say firmly. This was what I was the most afraid of. Giving someone my heart and them breaking it and walking right out of my life. I wouldn’t allow him to walk out of mine, I would leave first. “Yanan wait!”

 

I rush past Hyunggu to Yanan’s side who is confused as to why I’m doing so. I grab onto Yanan’s arm and tug him towards the parking lot.

 

“What’s going on?” He asks confused.

 

“I don’t want to talk about it right now, can we go?” I say refusing the urge to glance behind me.

 

“Alright.” He sighs.

 

-

 

Yanan pulls up to my apartment complex and sighs turning to glance at me. “Are you going to tell me what happened?”

 

I was afraid. Afraid that if I talked about it I’d cry.

 

I take a deep breath and glance at the clock. “The contract between me and Hyunggu is over.”

 

“What why?” Yanan asks shocked.

 

“I don’t really want to talk about it.” I mumble. “I feel like an idiot.”

 

Yanan rests a hand on my knee. “Whenever you’re ready to talk I’m here.”

 

I nod. “Thanks, Yanan.”

 

He smiles. “Now let’s get inside.”

 

-

 

Jiyoon, Jiseok, Yanan, Hayoung, and I sat around my kitchen table. Jiyoon was rolling cookie dough into cookies and handing them to Jiseok to put on the pan.

 

We were all laughing about the first failed batch of cookies Jiyoon had accidentally burned while she was distracted talking to us.

 

Jiseok sits down the fourth cookie onto the pan and huffs. “Hurry up Jiyoon, these cookies should be done by the time Hyunggu gets here.”

 

I swallow at Hyunggu’s name. I’m sorry Jiseok but I don’t think he’ll be back. I knew he had taken quite the liking towards him.

 

Yanan glances at me noticing I’ve gone quiet. Hayoung notices as well.

 

I open my mouth to speak. “Uh listen, guys...”

 

The doorbell goes off and I quickly shoot up. “I’ll get it!”

 

I rush off to the door shaking my head as I open it. There my gaze was met with Hyunggu’s.

 

I quickly glance back inside before pushing him back so I can join him outside.

 

“What are you doing here?” I immediately question him.

 

“We need to talk.” Hyunggu says, a look of hurt evident on his face.

 

I sigh and move down the hall a bit so they couldn’t hear us talking from inside.

 

“Look, just so you know nothing happened between me and Dayeon.” Hyunggu states his facial expression suggesting he was serious.

 

I shake my head. “Then why did you even go to her room in the first place?” My hand goes out into the air as I talk. My body language easily showing I was angry.

 

He sighs. “Dayeon and I dated for a long time you know that, I was confused over my feelings for her when I first met you.” He pauses. “Those feelings I had for her were genuine, they just aren’t going to magically go away.”

 

My heart cracks once more. I hated him, I hate that just a sentence from him could tear me apart.

 

I rest my hands on hips. “Well it’s good then that they haven’t went away, now that I’m finally out of the picture not causing any misunderstandings between you two you can finally get back together.”

 

He opens his mouth to speak.

 

“I’m tired of my heart being played with, especially after trusting you so much, Hyunggu.” I say, my hands sliding off my hips. “When I signed that contract, I wasn’t expecting us to talk after a month. My thoughts on that may have changed throughout the month but right now they are back to how they used to be. We were never meant to be friends.”

 

“No, you don’t get it.” Hyunggu speaks up. “Last night was...”

 

I felt a twinge in my gut. “Last night was a mistake.” I blurt out cutting him off. Hyunggu’s face twists at my words. “I shouldn’t have done that, I knew I was being an idiot by going down there whenever the contract ended today. I should’ve held out.”

 

My hands roam up to hug my torso. “Physical stuff might not be a big deal to you, but to me it is.”

 

Hyunggu’s eyebrows crease. “Who says it’s not a big deal to me?”

 

I snort. “Everyone on the bus? They all applauded you this morning? You didn’t even do anything about it?”

 

He sighs and glances away. “Look Jina...”

 

“Hyunggu please, just leave.” I say looking down. The door to my place clicks open and Yanan steps out into the hall.

 

Hyunggu glances at him and back to me. “Look can we just go inside and talk?”

 

“Hyunggu she asked you to leave.” Yanan steps to my side.

 

I glance at Yanan. “I’m fine, go back inside.”

 

He shakes his head. “No, it’s alright.”

 

Hyunggu’s eyes form into a glare as he nods. “Are you serious?”

 

I glance back at him confused.

 

“This isn’t about Dayeon and me, it’s about you and Yanan.” He says running a hand through his hair. “So, what, after you used me to become friends with him you dump me? Is there something going on between you two?”

 

I look at him confused. Dude the only time I’ve ever had a crush on Yanan was in like fourth grade? Why would I like him now?

 

The door opens again, this time Jiyoon and Hayoung are peeking out of the door way.

 

This wasn’t how I pictured this going.

 

He laughs. “Did you lie to me about the concert tickets too? Was the whole fake friendship contract just to get to Yanan?”

 

Yanan laughs under his breath. “I don’t get what any of this has to do with me?”

 

Jiyoon glances at me. “Your friendship with Hyunggu was fake?” Her face screams betrayal.

 

My heart constricts again. “Jiyoon...”

 

“I spent my entire rent for this month on those tickets for you? And the friendship was fake?” She backs away as I step towards her. “All I wanted was for you to break out of your shell but you lied to me.”

 

She takes off as I move closer slamming the door in my face. I turn around in anger. “Hyunggu, go home.”

 

Hyunggu seems reluctant but knows that that was enough. He glances at Yanan before glancing back at me. “Before I go just know that I wasn’t playing with you.” He says being sincere.

 

Once his back is turned finally a tear slides down my cheek.

 

What just happened?

 

-

 

I sat in my room a half hour later. Jiyoon was in her own room. Hayoung and Yanan were with my brother waiting until my dad arrived. I was debating on what I should say to Jiyoon. I felt terrible. At the time of the contract I didn’t even think this would happen.

 

I didn’t realize how much this meant to her. I didn’t realize she’d spend so much on me.

 

I sat on my bed chewing on my lip. My phone dings letting me know I have a new message. I sigh standing up to pull it off of my desk to read.

 

It was a text from an unknown number. I open it, it was a link to a post. I click on it and it took me to Instagram where there was a video of me and Hyunggu on the beach.

 

I quickly click on the video so it will play. It starts right before Hyunggu pulls me onto his lap. And ends shortly after the second kiss started.

 

“Oh my god.” My heart almost stops.

 

-

 

Seconds later I find myself knocking on Jiyoon’s door. She was sitting at her desk when I came in, she glances back at me.

 

She rolls her eyes, she looked to be packing her bags up to head back to college.

 

“Jiyoon, I need your help.” I say softly. She notices my tone and groans. That let me know she was going to give in and forgive me. Whether it be right now or soon. We were still sisters.

 

“What?” She huffs throwing the shirt she was currently folding down.

 

I sheepishly pull out my phone, unlocking it, pulling up the video and turning it to face her.

 

Her eyes widen as she watches it. “Oh wow.” Her eyes flit up to meet mine and I could feel my cheeks go red. She pulls the phone from my hands and my hands immediately join together nervously.

 

“Well I mean it’s not like you’re or anything and the area isn’t well lit.” She nods glancing back up at me. “I mean you can totally tell who Hyunggu is, but it’s harder to tell who you are, you know if you hadn’t of been tagged. I’d say it’s worse for Hyunggu.”

 

I shake my head. “It’s never worse for guys.” I bite my lip as Jiyoon sits my phone down.

 

Right at that moment Yanan and Hayoung came rushing upstairs. I’m assuming they just saw the post themselves.

 

I shake my head trying to keep tears from falling. “God why did I let this happen? I’m such an idiot.” I move to lie down on Jiyoon’s bed.

 

Jiyoon sighs. “Don’t call yourself that.” She huffs pulling me back into a sitting position.

 

I pout. “I know you’re only talking to me because I accidentally made a tape and you feel bad.”

 

She shakes her head. “I do feel bad for you.” She pauses. “But I still don’t understand why you lied to me?”

 

I let out a low breath. “Honestly part of it was because I’m selfish and really wanted those tickets but another part of me was afraid to admit that I was afraid to make friends.”

 

“That’s what I really want to know, why are you afraid to make friends?” She rests an arm around my shoulder.

 

I glance down at my lap. “I’m just...scared that I’ll lose them, like mom.”

 

Jiyoon glances at Yanan and Hayoung who quickly come towards me pulling me into a group hug.

 

Once they’ve pulled back Jiyoon smiles. “Mom would hate to see you isolate yourself for just that reason.”

 

I nod. “I know, and I obviously learned that making friends is a good thing.”

 

She sighs. “I don’t understand why you haven’t told me of this fear before?”

 

I swallow. “I haven’t really told anyone, well except for Hyunggu.” I glance down as I say his name. “I just didn’t want people to know my weakness.”

 

She smiles. “I mean I am still slightly disappointed in you for lying but I’m glad you’ve come clean. I got to the point where I wasn’t sure if you’d begin to push me away once I left for college.”

 

I snort. “We’re sisters I could never push you away. Besides look what happened while you were away at college.” I gesture out into the air. “I made a tape and I haven’t even had .”

 

We both snort, Yanan and Hayoung laughing as well.

 

“Come here.” Jiyoon pulls me into a hug.

 

-

 

At school on Monday Hayoung, Yanan, and I walk down the halls together. I held my head high as I walked. I didn’t want them to know that them talking about me got to me.

 

As we round the corner towards my locker we stop noticing a big crowd around it. My eyes brows knit together in confusion. I rush into the crowd to find my locker. There written in red was the word and a picture of Hyunggu and I kissing at the beach was stuck on it.

 

Everyone was staring at me as I came to a halt and stared at what was there. Hayoung pushes her way beside me and I hear her tongue click pissed off.

 

I push back out of the crowd, why was she doing this to me?

 

As I get out of the crowd I brush past Hyunggu who immediately grabs my arm. “Whoa whoa, what’s going on?”

 

I rip my arm from his and glare at him. “So, what, you’re just going to play along with them? You aren’t going to say it isn’t true? You just let everyone believe we had ?” I raise my hands out into the air.

 

Hayoung emerges from the crowd the crumpled-up picture in her hands. She spots the two of us and stomps over.

 

“I bet you’re happy the video leaked.” I say, moving to turn away.

 

As I’m turning I catch a glimpse of Hayoung shoving the picture into his chest.

 

“Are you going to do something about this?” She growls following behind me.

 

“Hey, everyone listen up.” Hyunggu’s voice raises. I stop down the hall to listen to what he’s got to say. “Not that it’s anyone’s business, but nothing happened at the beach.”

 

He pauses glancing around. “If I hear anyone talking about Jina or that video, I’m going to to kick your asses.”

 

“Understand?” He says his eyes connecting with mine.

 

Hayoung snorts sarcastically. “Job well done, Kang.”

 

Hyunggu comes running down the hall towards me and I turn to walk away.

 

“Whoa wait.” He says as I stop walking. “Look, I am really sorry about everything. If I knew who did this...”

 

I snort cutting him off. “I know who did it.” I say staring at him like he’s stupid. “So should you.”

 

He slowly nods. “Yeah okay, I’ll talk to her alright?”

 

I scoff. “No, this is something I’ll handle myself.” I push past him.

 

-

 

I don’t see Dayeon right away after that. It isn’t until the passing period between second and third that I see her. She’s heading into the restroom so I head in after her.

 

When I walk in she’s checking herself out in the mirror. I walk right up to her and she rolls her eyes.

 

“I know you posted that video.” I raise an eyebrow towards her and she laughs and turns to face me.

 

“Nope, wasn’t me.” She backs away from me and smiles. “But just so you know, if you have in a public place, you’ve gotta be ready to deal with the consequences.”

 

“It’s bad enough that a guy would do this but when a girl does it? Don’t you think that’s awful?” I say looking at her. Girls should stick together? More often than not we are the ones being attacked for things like this.

 

She shrugs. “Well I didn’t do it, so you’re harping at the wrong person.”

 

She moves to walk past me. “I’m glad someone did though, just shows who you really are.”

 

I squint towards her. “What?”

 

“You’ve acted like you’re miss innocent since grade school. It was as if I was the only one who noticed you weren’t.” She jabs a finger in my direction. “Hyunggu isn’t as confident as he seems to be, I’m not as tough as I pretend to be and you,” She pauses crossing her arms over her chest. “You aren’t as innocent as you pretend to be. You stole my boyfriend from me.”

 

I roll my eyes. “You guys have been broken up for over four months? I’ve only been on Hyunggu’s radar for one month.”

 

She shakes her head and laughs. “You think he hasn’t noticed you before a month ago?” Her hands flying out angered. “Jina stop playing innocent, we’ve all three went to the same school since elementary school.”

 

“That doesn’t mean anything, I haven’t talked to Hyunggu before a month ago. And even then we were only friends.” I exclaim.

 

She growls, shaking her head, clearly fed up with me. She storms out of the bathroom and I’m left alone.

 

-

 

I sat on the couch next to Yanan and Hayoung after school three days later.

 

“Thanks for coming over guys.” I smile towards them.

 

They both smile back. Jiyoon had left for college again this week so it was just us now.

 

“I still can’t believe you made out with Kang Hyunggu.” Hayoung shakes her head. “I didn’t know you had it in you, and with Hyunggu of all people? I mean not that I wasn’t expecting it to happen because it was beyond obvious you two liked each other but it’s still weird because of all people I didn’t expect you to end up with him?”

 

I sigh glancing at her. “Yeah me either.”

 

“Are you ever going to talk to him again?” Yanan asks drawing my attention to him.

 

I sigh, I mean I honestly didn’t know. “I don’t know.”

 

“You should.” Yanan nudges me.

 

“I agree with Yanan.” Hayoung intervenes. “You seemed happier when he was around.”

 

“I did?” I look between the two of them.

 

They both nod. “Yes of course, you’re so blind to everything.” Yanan sighs.

 

I send him a glare.

 

“You also told him things you’ve not told anyone before. I think that means wonders, you found someone you can tell anything to.” Hayoung states patting my knee. “Plus, you’re still obviously in love with him.”

 

I shove her hand off my knee. “Yah.”

 

She laughs at me and I shake my head. “He probably doesn’t want to deal with me anymore.”

 

“Or he’s just you know waiting for you to come talk to him? I mean you’ve shut down every conversation you’ve had with him for the past few days so he can’t really do anything.” Yanan sasses me.

 

Sassy Yanan would always win.

 

“Alright alright. I’ll go talk to him.”

 

Yanan and Hayoung stand up and walk out of my apartment complex with me. Hyunggu would probably be at his, Yuto, and Wooseok’s place tonight. Not his mom’s. So I head towards it.

 

Yanan playfully sniffs as I walk away. “They grow up so fast.”

 

I roll my eyes at him.

 

“I know it seems like just yesterday she was curled into me for movie night.” Hayoung sniffs as well.

 

Yanan laughs. “Go make us proud parents, Jina.”

 

“Oh so your married now?” I wink at both of them.

 

Hayoung scoffs. “Me marry him?”

 

Yanan snorts. “What’s wrong with me? It’s you that’s weird!”

 

I left them to their bickering. One day they could end up together but who knows?

 

-

 

I arrive at the Hyunggu’s place fifteen minutes later.

 

I quickly knock on the door and wait for someone to answer. It takes a minute until the door is clicking open. Behind it stood Wooseok. He seems surprised that I’m here, he didn’t wear his usual bright smile when I arrived. He probably thought I was here to yell at Hyunggu again.

 

“Oh hey Jina.” He offers me a smaller smile that usual.

 

“Hey is Hyunggu here?” I ask biting my lip waiting for his reply.

 

“Yeah, he’s upstairs in his room.” He puts his thumb up and over his shoulder to point behind him.

 

“Can I talk to him?” I swallow, this almost felt as if I was asking his parent’s permission to see him.

 

Wooseok steps aside to allow me room to enter. “Yeah sure, just please don’t hurt him too much.”

 

I nod and walk past him and up the familiar stairs until I stood in front of his door. It was already open and I could see Hyunggu. He was lying on his stomach face to the side staring out the window on the opposite wall from me.

 

I step inside the room and slowly sit down on the bed. The dip in the bed causes Hyunggu to roll his head over. He freezes when he sees its me.

 

“Hey.” I say awkwardly.

 

“Hey.” He replies sitting up a bit to rest on his arms so he can see more properly.

 

“I-uh came here to tell you something.” I let my hands rest on my knee so I can grip onto something while I say this.

 

Hyunggu nods. “Go ahead.”

 

I swallow nervously before letting my eyes meet his. “I like you, not in fake way and not in a friend way. I just...like you.”

 

There is a moment of silence before I sigh. “I just wanted to let you know that, so I’ll,” I gesture towards the door. “Just leave now.”

 

I move to the side of the bed to leave but his voice stops me.

 

“Don’t leave.” He murmurs, I stare towards the door waiting for him to continue. “I think I can finally explain myself now that you aren’t mad.”

 

I turn back around to face him. He’s no longer lying down, he’s sat up straight and is closer to me now.

 

“The reason I went to Dayeon’s room that night was to end things. I don’t know if she got the wrong idea by sitting with me on the bus but she was trying to flirt with me all day and I wanted to make it clear to her that I wasn’t interested.”

 

I stare at him as his adam’s apple bobs like he was nervous. “For a majority of this month it’s only been you, Jina. You were never someone to mess with for me. I may have not been over her when we first met but that quickly changed. To me you were just the person I needed, I can tell you anything and I just, I’m in love with you Lee Jina.”

 

I bite my lip as I felt it curving into a smile. “You are?”

 

“Mmm.” He hums moving closer.

 

He leans down kissing me straight on the lips. I wrap my arms around his neck as his hands move to my hips, he slowly pushes me down to the bed hovering over me.

 

However, our moment didn’t last long.

 

“I’m just making sure you’re not kil-oh sorry.” Wooseok’s voice tears us apart. “Have you guys ever heard of closing the door?”

 

Hyunggu flies back off me and huffs throwing one of his pillows towards Wooseok who laughs backing out of the doorway and into the hall.

 

“I’m glad you guys are good again. It wasn’t the same when you two weren’t up each other’s asses.” He screeches as Hyunggu hops off the bed to chase after him.

 

I laugh to myself as Hyunggu stops at the doorway. He too laughs before closing the door and turns around.

 

He has a smirk on his face. “You know the contract hasn’t really ended right?”

 

I squint sitting up. “What do you mean?”

 

His smirk widens. “I still have the second request that hasn’t been fulfilled.”

 

“Yah Kang Hyunggu!” I cross my arms over my chest. “I said nothing ual!”

 

He laughs and comes forward. “You still think so lowly of me!” He sits down beside me and nudges me with his shoulder. “I was gonna suggest a date night or something?”

 

I stare at his lips, my eyes flickering to his eyes. “I think that sounds like a good request.”

 

[END]


A/N: I hope you enjoyed this!