My Roommate is Gullible

The Daily Occurences in Room 217

"A tiny bits of sunlight glimpse through the little space between two curtains and hit the dozing body on the bed. Irritating glow that seeps on the back of his eyes is not enough to wake him up. Rolling his body to the side, back facing the window, he ignores the morning sun."

 

🎶 oeroun saramdeurui maeumeul yeoreojul geoya
memareun gaseumsogeun jeok syeojul Mellody 🎶

 

"A loud sound coming from the sleeping body's phone echoed on the four corners of his room. It is one of his favorite song, from his favorite anime, in which he watched for the nth time last night, resulting to his sleeping state until now."

 

🎶 seulpeume gieok derui gippeumeul chaewojul geoya
neomchineun eumak soge rideumeul 🎶

 

"Mentioned sleeping body lets out a low groan and stretches his hand to reach for his phone."

 

🎶 Sya lilla-lilla-lalla lilla— 🎶

 

"Only to turn it off. But sleeping body is sitting up on his bed, rubbing the sleep off of his eyes, and opening them slowly. Did his alarm ringtone finally able to wake him up? Oh, now, he's glaring at me." 

 

"Can you shut the up, Kwon Soonyoung?!" 

 

"He sounds so mad. Definitely scary. But he still looks cute on his Lilo and Stitch pajamas. Oh, now, he's standing up and I think he might kill me on a second—"

 

"Yes, I will, you er!"

 

"But no worries. Beside his bed, I already put his favorite coffee and a bread. And I think he needs to drink that first before contemplating if he should still kill me or not." 

 

"2 spoon of sugar?"

 

"2 spoon of sugar."

 

Soonyoung finds Jihoon looking at him a little less dangerously after drinking the coffee he prepared earlier.

 

"I still hate your loud narration of me." 

 

"But not enough to kill me," he grins mischievously. "It's 7 o'clock already, Jihoonie. Hurry up or you'll be late." 

 

He gets no response when the smaller guy just continues eating the bread. He clears his throat and modifies his voice to a smaller one, almost sounding like a girl, "Thank you, Soonyoungie. You always save me." Then back to his normal voice, "No problem, Princess Hoonie."

 

Soonyoung runs out of the room when he sees a notebook being aimed at him.

 

 

 

 

 

Jihoon has finished doing his morning routines and all ready to go to work when he sees Soonyoung sitting on the floor, instead of the couch, in the living room. His piggy bank is wrecked open beside him. He is counting tons of coins and paper bills as well.

 

"What are you doing?" he asks, sitting in front of the older. 

 

"I'm buying myself a new shoes," Soonyoung grins proudly. "I've been saving up for five months already."

 

"I see. I'll buy the groceries later." 

 

"But it's my turn today! I'll get my salary so I can buy it!"

 

"Just add it for your new shoes. You might find something prettier and more expensive than what you were expecting, okay?"

 

Soonyoung looks up at him with eyes full of gratitude as he stands up. "Really, Jihoonie?"

 

"Yes, really," he pats his head before walking to the door. The older follows him with his gaze.

 

"You're really like an angel God sent to me, only without a wings."

 

Jihoon shrugs as he replies, "So, like a person." Then he closes the door and left for work. He doesn't need to see the confuse, thinking face of Soonyoung as he minds the logic of being an angel and a person at the same time.

 

 

 

 

 

Jihoon doesn't expect himself to go home to this— red yarns are scattered around, Soonyoung running from one room to another, seeming to catch something that is white. Jihoon squints his eyes to see clearer. White fur.

 

"KWON SOONYOUNG!"

 

It's almost funny how Soonyoung stops halfway from running to the kitchen to Jihoon's room, freezing exactly in the middle of the living room, eyes round and wide in shock despite it being small in normal circumstances. But this isn't normal. Especially when the small white fur stops as well just before it could enter Jihoon's door, its eyes scrutinizing Jihoon.

 

"A kitten?" Jihoon groans, making his way to the kitchen to put the groceries in place.He hears a loud "gotcha!" from the living room. 

 

A few seconds later, Soonyoung follows him with the white persian kitten struggling to pull out of his arms. Jihoon sees the older frowning deeply with his eyes a little teary. A definitely 360 turn of emotions. Oh no! He's not exactly excited to hear this one out.

 

"Jihoonie," Soonyoung whines, almost purrs, sounding more like a kitten than the kitten on his arms.

 

"What happened?" Jihoon sighs as he puts their dinner in the microwave to heaten it up. "How did your shopping go?"

 

"Jihoonie," Soonyoung says again, almost tearing up. "M-my money got stolen."

 

Jihoon almost facepalms infront of the other guy. He should've known something bad will happen if he let Soonyoung all alone. They've been living for almost a year already and it amazes Jihoon how the other attracts misfortunes almost all the time.

 

"Who stole it?" He pulls one chair and motions for Soonyoung to take a seat, in which the latter obeys. Jihoon settles himself beside the older.

 

"I was on my way to the dance studio when there's a kid and an old man looking at this cute kitten—" Jihoon scoffs at the word 'cute', "—stucked on top of the tree. I volunteered to get the kitty and left my bag with the old man. And when I get down," Soonyoung pauses as he looks down from embarrassment. The cat finally finding a way out of his arms.

 

Jihoon shakes his head as he pats the older's head. "The old man stole your bag."

 

Soonyoung nods. "I swear he doesn't look like a thief. He looks kind!"

 

"But you don't just leave your things to stranger. How many times did I told you already? Never trust strangers."

 

"I'm sorry, Jihoonie." Soonyoung frowns as he fiddles with his fingers. "But... but, atleast I got us a baby kitty."

 

"No, Kwon. He has a leash. It means he has an owner."

 

"But Whitey is—"

 

"Oh, my god. You gave him a name already?"

 

Soonyoung nods shyly at him. "It's because he's very white and so pure and—"

 

"Kwon," Jihoon shakes his head. "If we find someone looking for him, then we need to give him back, okay?"

 

Soonyoung doesn't answer for a second and Jihoon almost wants to keep the cat but he knows they cannot. So he waits until the former nods his head hesitantly. "Okay."

 

Dinner is all set and everything is almost okay when they heard a loud sound of a breaking glass outside.

 

"Whitey!"

 

"THAT KITTEN!"

 

 

 

 

 

The next few days are like any normal day except they need to feed the kitten before leaving for work and to make sure that it can't harm any more furnitures he can get his small but dangerous paws on. Also, Soonyoung seems happier than usual whenever he gets the kitten to play with him. (It spends most of its days sleeping.) 

 

On the sixth day of having the baby cat, Jihoon is about to take the stairs to their apartment when he sees a newly printed poster pasted on the wall. Half of it is covered with a white kitty that very much resembles Whitey. Written there is also the owner's contact number.

 

 

 

 

 

Soonyoung hesitantly hands Whitey to his owner who lives a few blocks away from their apartment.

 

"Thank you so much for taking care of him," says the deep-voiced guy whose wearing a pair of glasses. "I heard from Jihoon-ssi what you've gone through when you saved him. Here, take this as my form of gratitude." He hands Soonyoung an envelope.

 

The latter doesn't take it, though. He is just staring at the kitten with teary eyes. Jihoon is the one who takes the envelope while bowing his head.

 

"Thank you, Wonwoo-ssi. I'm sorry, he gets too emotional easily."

 

They talk for a bit more (or more like Wonwoo and Jihoon only while Soonyoung keeps on talking with the cat, saying his never-ending goodbyes) before Wonwoo takes his leave with the kitten who they learned is named Moonlight.

 

Jihoon gives Soonyoung the envelope Wonwoo gave earlier. 

 

"What is this?"

 

"He said something as a thank you for you," Jihoon shrugs before leaving the other on their living room alone.

 

"OH MY GOD, JIHOONIE!" he hears just as he enters his own room. "JIHOONIE, COME BACK! I CAN NOW BUY A SHOES! THAT GUY IS ING RICH! THAT CAT IS ING RICH! JI—"

 

Jihoon has had to go out and to calm his roommate before their neighbors can complain on them for being too noisy in the middle of the night.