The One With the Crappy Valentine's Day

I'll Keep You Close to Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Moonbyul was busy wiping the counters.

 

She was used on working late and being tired because of the amount of people that come in her small establishment. Her years of training came into use when she finally inherited the small bar that has been the bread and butter of their family for decades.

It was not an extravagant inheritance—considering that the place was old—but Moonbyul loved it nonetheless. It reminded her of humble beginnings; fond memories of her being young and enjoying time with her family.

It was the only bar that can be accessed in the neighbourhood that it belonged to; the next one was at least ten blocks away. The people in the vicinity had no choice but to resort to Moonbyul’s small bar. So yeah. Running the bar was both a nostalgic form of livelihood and obligatory service to the patrons of alcohol and cheap food.
 

But Moobyul tries her hardest to not dwell on that.

 

She really tries her hardest to please all her patrons and usual customers. Moonbyul takes their loyalty as something that she can be proud of.

During special occasions and events, work always managed to swamp Moonbyul and her small crew in manning the bar. Christmas, New Year’s; and all other holidays, they manage to stay open and serve the masses. It’s also one of their selling points; they’re rarely closed.

 

Like that night for example.

Valentine’s Day has always been a curse and a blessing to the small bar she owns. She probably has seen her fair of share memorable moments in celebration of the said occasion. In fact, she participated in two flash mobs; she baked a cake with gooey pink frosting (even though they don’t usually do that not even on birthdays); and help orchestrate an actual wedding proposal inside her small bar.

But that’s not all. There were also a bunch of people who went to her bar... well, for a drink. People crying about how lonely they were. People whining that they deserve some love. All people who ended up being alone on the day of lovers.

 

Come to think of it, business flourished.

All thanks to the celebration of love.

Or not having love.

And it all happened in one day.

 

As long as I earn something out of it.

She chuckled to herself as she continued her work.

 

“Moonbyul-unnie, I’m clocking out” Hwasa her chef called out. Moonbyul motioned the younger girl to approach her. “Could you please tell Seulgi-unnie to not say yes to every ing request the bastards that come here make? I mean, a CAKE? Seriously? You’re lucky I’m such a great chef that I managed to pull it off.”

“All my compliments are offered to you. And aren’t we closing a little early today? I’m swamped with all that love crap littering the joint.”

“Damn right. How many people could possibly succumb to all that cliché and propose on fricking Valentine’s Day?! Gah! I have witnessed some cheesy today that I could probably use a little raise y’know?” Hwasa winked at her boss.

She was probably aware of her intimidating tactics that Moonbyul just automatically gave in and handed her a couple of extra dollars. 

“Here. Tips from today. You could hate the extra work all you want but the pay we get is good.”

“Yeah yeah whatever” she shoved the money in her bag. “I really don’t get you workaholics.” Hwasa proceeded to walk out the door and waved a last goodbye before taking off.

 

When Moonbyul was sure that she checked everything, she decided to have a drink herself. She poured a little amount in a glass with ice and settled it in front of her. She also filled another glass with wine.

 

The bar was quiet but not in an eerie way; probably because Moonbyul was well accustomed to the place ever since she was young. Her family has been running the business for years now. Even though she was alone that night, the familiarity of the place was enough to keep her company. Moonbyul closed her eyes and focused on the faint sounds of the busy streets of the world outside her bar.

Minutes passed and she was getting bored. She opened her phone and scrolled to some messages. Her eyes arrived on a conversation that she opened at the start of that day. The person that she sent a message to hasn’t even replied to her. It irked her.

 

A simple ‘Hi’ or ‘Hello’ would’ve been enough but no, apparently that was asking for too much.

 

She sighed heavily and returned her attention to her two untouched drinks. After little contemplation, she chuckled rather pettily at herself before shaking her head.

 

Might as well, might as well. Valentine’s Day is still here.

 

The thing about romantic people is that there are two kinds.

One;  the over the top and grossly affectionate people who would work  their butts of just to give their significant other a special gift or just to make them feel highly contented about themselves. Don’t get Moonbyul wrong, there’s absolutely nothing wrong about that.

 It’s just that she has never been ‘showy’ type in any given way possible. She was more of a “love-you-but-in-a-more-personal-and-discreet-way-because-I-hate-being-oggled-on-by-random-people-and-I-probably-have-zero-witty-plans-to-make-you-feel-special-and-I-probably-have-no-budget-to-spend-whatsoever”.

 

That was a long title for Moonbyul to actually ponder on and dwell about.

When you stop and think about it, it’s kind of sad.

 

Then there’s the second type; the lowkey lovers who do the whole ritual of lovey dovey things between the two of them.  But all of that intimacy goes down the drain when they suddenly brag all about it on every social media accounts ever. Honestly, Moonbyul thinks that the first one is better.

At least they have the guts actually admit that they’re showing off rather than pretend offhandedly that they want a solemn celebration by themselves. Yeah Martha, we didn’t see that supposedly private dinner date you were having. I guess you accidentally posted it. Oh well, as compensation from our ogling and jealousy, here, have some ton likes from random people.

 

But maybe Moonbyul was exaggerating a little.

 

Well, the bar owner have made it a tradition to ditch Valentine’s all together every year of her life. She had this nasty habit of judgementally picking on those stupid over the top couples that typically crowd the malls and parks with their mushy couple stuff. She hated to admit it but she just does not see the appeal of celebrating love that way.

 

Yet there she was, setting a clean picnic blanket over the bar countertop. She also took the liberty to set out the Christmas lights and light them up (she actually didn’t have to set them up. She and Hwasa just never got to the disentangling the mess). On the blanket, she set both of her untouched drinks and some pieces of fine dining that she managed to bring at the late hour; a bar of Hershey’s chocolates and some leftover garlic bread. Moonbyul also drew the blinds to make her bar a little dimmer.

 

She took a step back and took a moment to admire her first ever attempt at a romantic dinner date.

 

Was it haphazardly put together? Yes.

Was it obviously low budget? Heck yes.

Was it a blow at her well-established reputation of hate for Valentine’s Day? Probably.

 

But who doesn’t have a romantic bone in their body right?

 

Moonbyul smiled at her ingenious plan. She glanced at the well cleaned bar floors and the wiped countertops. She also made possible to get rid of some of the lingering cigarette and beer stench (she had to use like 3 bottles of aerosol). The bathroom was also decent looking for once.

As a finishing touch, she brought out the bouquet of flowers that she’s been saving. The florist gave her a very good price of almost nothing because they were leftovers anyway; some of them are lacking some petals here and there but it’s the thought that counts.

She glanced at her phone. It was already 10:39 pm. Her phone indicated that she sent the right message to the person it was intended for. She also had to close up early for this.

 

A part of her mind was already panicking and being all morbid.

But there was also a part of her who’s eagerly waiting and hoping.

 

Moonbyul sat behind the counter once again and kept her eyes fixed on the front door; her ears were also perked up for any sound that may come from the bell on top of the door.

 Seconds and minutes passed and she was growing more impatient. She can’t deny that she was also tired from working her off all day. She slowly lowered her head on top of her arm; her gaze not wavering from the door.

After a few minutes, Moonbyul can feel her tiredness taking over her body more and more. Her head felt heavy and her eyes were slowly closing.

 

No Moonbyul. You have to stay awake to eat that Hershey’s bar. You have to stay awake and unplug those Christmas lights because they’re a goddamn fire hazard. You also set some candles so good luck on not getting your bar torched.

And...

Like you said earlier, it’s still Valentine’s Day.

You still have to wait for her...

 

That was the last thing on her mind before she passed out completely; an untouched dinner next to her and the feeling of being lost deeply seethed in her chest.

 

 

===

 

CCCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 The tired bar owner was awoken with a start. Her vision was still hazy but her hand immediately flew to the baseball bat she keeps under the counter in cases of hooligans plaguing her establishment. When her eyes started to slightly focus on what’s happening, she was surprised to see that her front door was shattered.

Yes, shattered.

But that wasn’t what surprised her most (because that sound that woke her up was a sole indication that something got broken duh).

Standing between the mess was a dishevelled looking woman. She was holding a large—and by large, Moonbyul means LARGE—bottle of wine. Moonbyul can’t really see the woman’s face but from the looks of her current state, she was absolutely beyond no doubt hammered to the core. The smell of alcohol was filling her previously spotless bar.

 

Certainly not the person she was waiting for.

 

“Excuse me” the bar owner finally found her voice. “What the hell is your problem?”

The situation was slowly getting to her and she was mad. You can’t really blame her though. She has been stood up and her bar was again a mess. The supposedly romantic dinner that she set out has gone stale and was just sitting there reminding of her sad situation.

Actually, she was kind of livid.

She started to walk in the direction of the woman; one hand still around the baseball bat. It was ridiculous but it wouldn’t hurt to be prepared. She cautiously approached her.

“Excuse me? You do know that we’re closed right? And what you did just now was technically breaking and entering; not to mention the property damage that you caused.”

 

Her voice was still calm but the woman was still not talking.

Okay. What the hell.

 

“Excuse me!” she said in a louder tone. That seemed to do the trick because she finally got the attention of the girl.

Probably. She still wasn’t sure because all she did was sway unsteadily and her only response was a bunch of garbled noises matched with some hiccups. Her gripped went tighter on her baseball bat. She watched a lot of zombie films and most of them start with this exact scene.

Moonbyul took a step back. The girl was still swaying unsteadily.

 

. She might bite me and I might turn into one of them.

 

Okay.

Maybe Moonbyul watched one too many of those zombie films and shows.

 

The girl started to walk towards her and Moonbyul swore that she might shat herself right there. The girl in front of her started advancing. When the girl stopped, she finally looked at Moonbyul at eye level.

Her eyes were super red (zombie alert). Her hair was a mess and her face was all dirtied up by a trail of mascara and whatnot. She squinted at the slightly taller bar owner and gave her a disgusted look. She immediately smashed the bottle that she was holding on one of the nearby tables; its remaining contents spilled on Moonbyul’s newly mopped floors. She held her newly made weapon in front of Moonbyul.

 

“What are you doing here?” the woman asked her.

“Excuse me?” Moonbyul was flabbergasted. Not only did this woman had the audacity to come and barge in her bar and make a mess but she also had the gall to question the bar owner. “I own this place. It would make more sense if you start explaining yourself before I call the police!”

The drunk woman didn’t seem to be threatened with Moonbyul’s warning. She scoffed at her and started to look around. Her eyes arrived on the bar counters where Moonbyul’s supposedly romantic dinner was set out; looking as sad and pathetic as ever.

 

Panicking and slightly embarrassed, Moonbyul immediately went there and attempted to turn the lights off. She can’t find the switch though and the longer the woman stood there, looking at her failed attempt on being a decent human being for once, she felt as if her whole being was being judged.

“It’s a Valentine’s thing” Moonbyul deadpanned. She can’t believe that she’s being flustered in front of someone who probably has zero inhibition whatsoever. The woman, on the other hand was still staring at the whole setup; motionless and not moving at all.

 

Then she started bawling her eyes out.

 

It took Moonbyul about three seconds to fully register what was happening and she immediately rushed to the girl’s side. As soon as she did, the girl collapsed in her arms and continued her ugly crying; tears started falling on Moonbyul’s arms. She tried shushing the girl and carefully led her to one of the stools near her.

When the girl sat down, she buried her face in her arm (the one that wasn’t holding her weapon and she evidently had no intent of letting go of) and sobbed louder. She tried talking to her but to no avail.

 

The bar owner can’t even comprehend this whole bizarre setup that’s currently happening.

Is this some kind of a cruel joke? Are the gods really rubbing it in my face that this is my current situation?

 

Moonbyul ironically looked up and pinched the bridge of her nose.

Since trying to converse with the girl was basically a dead end, Moonbyul figured that she might as well clean the mess that flooded her bar. She was doing all of these half-heartedly; throwing shady glances and clicking her tongue at the direction of the girl who dirtied the place up. She swept the shards of glass and re-wiped the floors. The door was the tricky part because she had absolutely no knowledge on the basics of door replacements.

She wanted to ask for some help but the only available people in the vicinity was the drunk woman—who was still crying like there’s no tomorrow. Moonbyul briefly considered calling Hwasa over but that’s like telling her to wake a vicious tiger up from her sleep. She shuddered a bit.

Leaving someone whom she barely knew in the bar was not ideal—especially if that someone had a history of breaking and damage to property. But it started to drizzle outside and as if it wasn’t ironic enough, a draft was making the place colder. She gave the drunk girl one last look before dashing at the back to look for anything that can be used to cover up the gaping hole of her shattered door.

 

It took her about five minutes to gather some materials: a hammer, some nails, a tarp that advertises cheap hair treatment (she had to do everything for sponsorships okay?), and some pieces of wood. It was very fortunate that her grandfather used to do repairs on his own otherwise Moonbyul will have to live with the risk of having the bar ransacked.

When she came back, the sobs were softer. She just shook her head at the sorry sight of the girl and proceeded to have a quick lesson on how to patch her broken door.

 

Step 1:

Get the pieces

Step 2:

Hold the tarp on both ends.

Step 3:

Get a hammer and a few nails and basically murder your fingers. Howling in pain while jumping around is necessary

 Step 4:

Finally hammer some nails successfully. Due to inexperience, hammer at least a dozen nails on one spot just to manage to make it stick.

Step 5:

Attempt to hammer on the wood for further security.

Step 6:

Realize that a piece of wood is much harder to hammer and perform multiple counts of murder on both your hands.

Step 7:

Give up and duct tape the whole thing.

End.

 

After several attempts, Moonbyul finally managed to cover up her door. Her hands were sore and had some few cuts on it. But looking at her finished product, she thought that nobody will try to break in. The nails stuck out in weird angles and the pieces of wood she used were all splintered. It’s basically a death trap awaiting its next victim.

She walked towards the bar while eyeing the woman. She can still hear some sniffing. Not wanting to be rude (although the girl has been nothing but rude to her), she tiptoed carefully to not disturb the girl. When she reached the counter, she reached for the first aid kit that she kept for emergency purposes and started to treat her small wounds.

 

The girl was still laying there motionless and quiet.

Moonbyul cleared and tried to bring out her signature cool voice.

“Look lady, this is a bar and as much as we like catering to our customers, we don’t let people sleep here; especially ones who cause damage to the joint.”

 

A few seconds passed and a grunt was heard. Moonbyul looked surprised.

 

“And I’m going to have to make you pay for the broken door.”

 

Another grunt.

 

“And some additional dollars for the floor and the chair.”

Another grunt.

 

The bar owner was getting irritated again.

“Look lady, I’m getting more impatient here. I’m gonna need you to sober up somehow and give me your contact information so that we can-“

The woman suddenly perked up and lifted her head from her arm. She looked Moonbyul straight in the eye and waved the broken bottle that she still hasn’t let go off in front of them.

 

“Wait wait wait wait. Are you trying to hit on me?”

 

What?!

Is this girl for real?!

 

Moonbyul blinked back at her. When the girl didn’t revoke her earlier statement, she cleared again and tried her hardest to form a coherent answer.

 

“No!” she answered a little too loudly that it can be considered a little rude. “What I’m trying to say is that-“

“So what? I’m just not pretty enough?” the drunk girl tried to slur out a sentence. “I’m too ugly? I’m too fat? I’m too plain?!”

 

The whole situation was making Moonbyul’s head hurt. But the girl in front of her seemed serious and she had a broken bottle as a weapon which made the whole situation more dangerous than it should be. When the girl didn’t show any sign of backing down, she sighed and tried to size her up.

 

Yes. The pinnacle of this whole fiasco was Moonbyul sizing up a drunk to the core girl who was holding a broken bottle as a threat to her.

Happy Valentine’s Day indeed.

 

Moonbyul looked at her from top to bottom.

She can hardly make out a thing to be honest. Her hair was a mess; she can barely make out what her face actually looked like amidst the smudged makeup. The smell of alcohol has become overwhelming at this point. She can confidently say that the girl in front of her was a total mess.

 But Moonbyul wasn’t that kind of person to judge someone else’s appearance.

Sure she judges couples but THAT’S a whole other thing.

 

At these moments, it was a relief that she had her way around with words.

 

“Well, you look good for someone who probably had a ton to drink” that was the most that she can muster while trying to stay sane in her current predicament. “You can sti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter