Fin

Is there a happy ending?

A/N: I probably won't be updating 'Paper Planes' for a long while. So here's a story to make up to yall.

***

"Yerin unnie, I don't think we should continue dating anymore. I'm bored to death."

Yerin didn't say anything, but her facial actions says everything. Her smile faltered, "What did you just say?" She asked, not believing her ears.

There was a slight pause coming from the other girl who never had a single emotion shown on her face since the start of the conversation. "I said, let's break up, Yerin unnie." The girl replied with a complete calm composure. It made Yerin think for a slight moment, if the girl infront of her was pulling a prank.

"You are kidding me right? Don't pull such jokes, Sinb. April Fool's have passed last month. I know you didn't manage to play a prank last mon-" 

"I'm not."

Two words was all it took for Yerin to completely shut up as she slowly felt her world crumbling. It felt as if a thousand poison arrows just directly shot her heart.  It took whatever strength and will power to croak out one word. "Why?"

"I don't love you anymore." Came a swift reply, or more like a direct slap in her face as Yerin felt herself slowly jumping off a cliff. She still didn't know how the heck her knees could still hold the sudden heavy weight of her body. Or maybe, it just took a while for her brain to process the reality. "Don't you get it? We. Are. Over. I don't feel the same jittery feeling with you anymore, no scratch that, i never even loved y-"

 

 

*Pak*

 

 

A resounding slap came across Sinb's face in which the younger girl slightly wobbled and staggered backwards. "How could you be so heartless? 5 years of being together through the ups and downs of our lives and you are telling me that it means nothing to you?" Yerin stifled a sob from escaping, but there was no mistake that one or two crystal clear tear dripped out of her eyes.

 

 

A moment of silence surrounded them, with none wanting to speak up. Seeing Yerin precious tears forming and dripping down because of her, there was a huge pang of guiltiness surging Sinb's heart, but her natural emotionless resting face made everything easier. Sinb sighed, pushing the guilt to the back of her mind and uttered the final words, "Me dating you was all a dare. My friends dared me to date you for five years and today is the last day. I want to make this clear to you. You were never in a part of my heart and you were just a pawn for our dare." 

 

 

 

*Pak*

 

 

That was the final blow to Yerin. With all her frustrations and overwhelming emotions, Yerin vented her anger on Sinb's face as the tears on her face constantly dripped faster. Heck, she can't even see if she actually slapped Sinb's face or what. "I didn't know I was such a stupid person to fall in love with a cruel, playgirl person." Yerin pushed Sinb by her shoulders and stomped out of their house, not bothering to conceal her wails or wiping her tear-stricken face.

***

"Hey, what you doing on your laptop?"

"Looking for new movies for our movie date tomorrow. I'm almost done browsing Yerin." Sinb absentmindedly said, without taking her eyes off her precious laptop.

"I just remembered the movie from last week..."

"Why?" Sinb tore her eyes away from the screen.

"Nothing much... I didn't really liked the ending."

Sinb placed her hands ontop of Yerin's and rubbed circles around it. "It's just a movie, don't take it too seriously." Sinb softly smiled at the other girl.

"But-But still.. they don't deserve such ending... i don't like it. What if it happens to us? I'm scared. We are exactly like the two main character in the movie-" Yerin sighed.

"You are my happy ending Yerin. Forever." Sinb reassured the latter with a huge grin.

Yerin's eyes curved into a cresent moon as reached out and squished Sinb's cheeks. "Me too Sinb-ah."

***

"Rin! What are you doing? I have been calling you to come down and eat dinner for the past 5 minutes." Sinb asked worriedly as she walked closer to Yerin and s her hands around Yerin's waist, resting her head ontop of the older's shoulders.

"Sorry, i am writing a diary. I'll be down soon." Yerin hummed as she returned her full attention to the book.

"Ew, who even writes a diary during adulthood? Diary are for lil' kids!" Sinb commented which earned a hard smack on her shoulders.

"Shut up B, writing a diary helps us keep memories! So in the future, even if we forget, we can take a look at it and remember! Diary are precious things you write it in, like since you are precious to me, i write your name in in almost all my diary entries in!" Yerin educated Sinb who took the time to understand the meaning behind writing a diary.

"You should start writing diary entries B." 

"I don't even like to write a composition, let alone a diary." Sinb mused.

***

But I have to, so i can remember every liitle details about her.

I failed my words.

I wasn't her happy ending anymore.

I broke her into pieces.

Yerin-ah.. I'm sorry.

***

"We have to do the surgery as soon as possible, Ms Hwang. Based on the lastest MRI scan, the tumor is growing bigger and bigger. It has almost grown double the size since you came in for the first time. If no actions are taken, it can result in death." The doctor solemnly said.

"At this rate, the percentage of success would be lower and lower each time. As for now, the percentage has already reached 40%. Please make a choice if you want to live."

"What is the point of living again if I will lose all my memories after the surgery?" Sinb mumbled softly, but in the quiet room, it was cleary audible to the doctor. 

"As I said Ms Hwang, the after effects of the surgery differs on each person. But the worst case scenario is that you would lose all your memories, but the percentage of losing all memories is about 10%." The doctor reassured Sinb.

"I-I- need more time to think." 

"Alright. I will go ahead and prescribe you the same medicine you have been taking. Please wait in the room." The doctor said and Sinb nodded her head.

Her head hung low, her eyes were met with the cold jittery hands that had been clasped tightly together since the start of the session. Gingerly, she unclasped them together and placed one of them on the right side of her cheeks. It hurt when both skin were in contact with each other, but to Sinb, her heart hurt more when she was reminded on the break-up.

I guess.. Yerin hates me now. She won't come back for me anymore, I guess I should go ahead with the surgery. Maybe forgetting memories would be good for me. 

The door creaked open and Sinb swerved her head to meet the gaze of her doctor. "So.. what have you decided?" The doctor asked, feeeling apprehensive.

"I'll do it." Sinb said with full confidence.

***

Sinb went out of the hospital once she was done with all the paperwork needed for the surgery. She quickly entered her car and dialed a certain number. Placing the phone in between her shoulder and her neck, she her car engine and took a few deep breaths while closing her eyes. 

"What do you want Hwang?" The harsh voice came and Sinb shuddered for a second. Heck she had never seen her close friend getting mad at her before, and it made Sinb wonder at how can the cute and adorable girl change a whole 360 degree right now. "I heard Yerin is living with you now." Sinb started.

"Yes. So?" The harsh tone not wavering made Sinb shrink more. 

"Can we meet? I want to tell you something important."

"Fine." The person on the phone said before hnaging up. Seconds later, Sinb saw a message stating an address for her and the other girl to meet. And with that, Sinb coulld not help but sigh in a relieve that the girl decided to meet her even thought she was mad.

***

It turned out to be a cafe unlike what Sinb expected. She thought the other girl wanted to meet in a secluded area so that she could finish her one shot. At least, she is still a nice human being. Unlike me. Sinb decided to order a small cup of coffee, in which she hasn't had in a few months, before settling down in a corner, waiting for the other girl to arrive. Probably still lazing in bed. Sinb chuckled to herself.

Everything was all well till a sudden surge of pain shot in the middle of her head. Her vision turned blurry and a few sweat drops trickled down her forehead. Squeezing her eyes shut, she massaged the middle of her head until the pain went away. It wasn't that easy to make it go away, but since Sinb had already battled this tumor, it seemed like a normal thing for her.

She gently opened her eyes and found her sight cleared. Just then, the bells of the cafe chimed, signalling a person had arrived or left. out of instinct, Sinb looked up and was relieved that the other girl had arrived. For a moment earlier, Sinb thought that she had been fooled by the other person. 

"H-Hi Eunha..." Sinb stood up and greeted the shorter girl.

The other girl merely nodded her head and coldly replied. "Speak up. I ain't have all the time in the world."

"About Yerin.. how is she doing?" Sinb asked.

"Why are you asking me? I thought you two broke up? And it's all by you? So why ask? Are you regretting your choices?" Eunha irritatedly said.

"I-It's not like that.." Sinb muttered but it went unnoticed by Eunha.

"Why did you say all those hurtful words to her?! You know she devoted her entire life to you right?? But what did you do?"

"I-I know Eunha.." Sinb replied, which only added fuel to fire.

"Then why did you break up with her?! She is hurting so much right now, you inhumane piece of-" Eunha shouted at Sinb, feeling displeased at her younger friend.

"I'M DYING!" Sinb cut in Eunha's words and retort back. 'I'm dying.." Sinb said again in a softer tone.

Eunha was rendered speechless for a moment. She opened open but only to close it again when no voice came out. "What?..." Eunha rasped.

"I'm dying... I have brain tumor... and the size of it has multipied since i have it. The success rate of the surgery has turned 40%... even if i make it out alive the operating theater, I have a high chance of losing my memories.. I don't know what i will or not remember, but i don't want to hurt her when i suddenly forget everything. So it is best if she hates me and ignore my exisitence totally. You get what i mean right?" Sinb explained with a pained tone clearly visible.

"I love her.. I really do. I never meant to hurt her, but i can never be her happy ending can you see?"

***

"Boss, here is the latest blue print for the collaboration between MNSneakers and HwangCorp. Please take a look." Her secretary said as she handed Sinb the file. Sinb skimmed through the contents and nodded her head in approval. She snapped shut the file and handed it back to her secretary. "It's perfect. You can sent the proposal to MNSneakers and-" Sinb stopped right on her words when the familar pain ran in the middle of the brain. She felt her world spinning as she struggled to focus, but she was beginning to see mutiple images infront of her. She felt as if she had too many drinks and had a hard time focusing. Plus the searing pain on her head, she could not help but shut her eyes and groan as she placed her hands on her head and tried to ease the pain.

"Boss, are you okay?" The secretary asked concerned.

"My head... It burning!" Sinb screamed and thrashed around, knocking her head on the table many times.

"Boss, we will bring you to the hospital now! Pleae bear with it!" Her secretary said and quickly rushed out to inform the medics.

***

Sowon hesitated at the front of the hospital door. She raised her hands to knock on the door, but placed it down before sighing. Smile wider Sowon! After making sure the smile was natural, Sowon knocked on the door and turned the door knob. She was welcomed at the sight of Sinb sitting by the edge of the bed, staring out of the window. 

In Sowon's perspective, the strong and brave Sinb was gone and now replaced by a weak and small Sinb. Sinb felt smaller to her, and perhaps thinner, maybe Sinb had already lost 15 kg in her eyes. That sight made Sowon's smile dissappear for a millisecond but she remembered her main motive to be here. "Hey Sinb." Sowon broke the silence.

"Hey.. what did the doctor said, Sowon-unnie?" Sinb asked in a small voice as she turned and faced the taller woman.

"Everything is alright! They are preparing for your surgery tomorrow. Just relax, everything is going to be okay."

Sinb hummed in a low tone before turning back and looking outside the window. "Unnie.."

"Yeah?" Sowon asked.

"Let me go out for a while. I want to enjoy the breeze for a while... It has been a week or more since i experience the world outside this hospital. Alone." Sinb begged.

Sowon sighed. "This is the only time okay? Don't stay out for too long. Contact me when you feel dizzy. Immediately." Sowon reminded her.

"Yes, granny!" Sinb giggled when she saw Sowon fumed at the said nickname. 

***

Sinb hid her face into the crook of her coat. "It's so cold.." She grumbled. What is the date today? Sinb thought and quickly fished out her phone. 20 November.. Wait isn't this the day Yerin leaves Korea?! ! I need to see her for the last time! Sinb cursed herself and quickly got up and hailed for a taxi.

"Please head to Incheon Airport now! Step on the pedal please!" Sinb urgently said to the taxi uncle. Thankfully, the taxi uncle caught the urgency of Sinb's voice and sped up. The usual 1 hour 15 minutes ride to the airport became a 45 minutes ride. Sinb hastily gave the taxi uncle a huge sum of money for speeding up and swiftly got out of the taxi and slammed the door shut before running to the departure hall.

Please.. let me see her for the final time... Sinb repeated that sentence like a mantra in her head. She scanned the airport around, looking for the familiar blonde hair colour she had gotten use dto it for the past years. "Yerin! Rin!" Sinb shouted when she spotted the blonde. 

Yerin turned around and spotted Sinb. "Sinb?" Yerin asked.

"Hello..." Sinb said.

Instantly Yerin's face changed to a poker one. "What are you doing here? What do you want?" She asked in a stony manner.

"I heard you are leaving for the States... I just wanted to say goodbye." Sinb said quietly.

"There is nothing left between us, Sinb. We have already broken up. No wait, you were the one that wanted the break up." Yerin cold-heartedly said.

"I know.. I just wanted to see you for the last time."

"It's just a couple of months. Korea is so small. i'm pretty sure we would still crosspath with each other."

"Also, in the future, if i crosspath with you and act as if i don't know you, for that one second, smile and say hi to me with your eyesmile and indian dimple... please.." Sinb requested.

"What?" Yerin stared at her as if she was crazy.

"Can you do that? For the sake of our past?" Sinb pleaded with a weak smile on her face.

Confused, Yerin could only nod her head and replied, "okay." She seems a little weird today... did she eat the wrong medicine for breakfast?

"I need to go off now Sinb, my flight is taking off soon." Yerin said, but what entered Sinb's ears was radio statics. Not again... Her line of vision became blurry and she staggered back a little, shutting her eyes in progress. "Sinb?" Yerin asked, feeling concerned.

"My eyes.." Sinb softly muttered. Please not now, not infront of Rin... She shouldn't know.. 

 

 

 

She can't see me in this state..

 

 

 

 

But all she felt was her body hitting a cold hard wall. Or was it the floor? She wasn't sure at that point. She felt a few shakes here and there. All she heard was soft murmuring and a lovely angelic voice that shouted, "Sinb!" rang in her head before she scummbed into the darkness.

***

"Hurry! Move her in the operating room now! We got no time to waste!"

"Patient Hwang Sinb, age 21. Suffering from prolonged brain tumor."

"Scalpel."

"Irrigation.."

"Suction."

.

.

.

.

.

.

*BEEP BEEP BEEP*

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"Her heart beat is slowing down quickly!"

"Blood transfusion!"

She's losing too much blood!"

"Bring a few more bags of blood in!"

"Irrigation!"

"Take out the brain tumor out now! Quick!"

.

.

.

.

.

"Done."

"Needle."

"Gauze."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Surgery completed"

***

"Stupid, stupid, Stupid! I shouldn't have let that stubbon out!" Sowon screamed in frustration and tugged the roots of her hair. 

"Sowon-unnie... what is wrong with Sinb?" Yerin asked in a calm manner, though her heart is pounding wildly.

"Sinb she... she is suffering from brain tumor..." Sowon sighed.

"Why-Why didn't you tell me earlier? God, I'm so stupid not to see any signs from her!" Remorse filled Yerin's body.

"No, don't blame yourself.. Sinb is just too good in hiding her pain from all of us. Even me, i just found out a few months ago when she suddenly said her head was in pain. Believe me, I badly wanted to tell you, but Sinb forbade me from telling you. She even threatened to burn my house if I do that." Sowon chuckled heavily at the last sentence. 

"Everyday, she gets weaker and weaker, but yet in all those times she kept thinking about you. It was hard on her to decide on breaking up with you, whatever she said when she broke up with you was scripted... it wasn't her true feelings. When she heard about the after effects of the surgery, she was even more hesitant to do it. She was afraid that she would lose all the memories with you, she was scared that when she wakes up after the surgery and does not recongise you, you would feel sad, hence she decided the cruel way of making you forget about her."

Yerin opened to say something, but she was left speechless at the act of Sinb. "Stupid...." was all Yerin could say out. 

Hours passed but yet the light of the operating theater was still on. Deciding that she could not stay in such a depressing place any longer, she got up. "Sowon-unnie, I'm going to visit our house to clean up a little. You know, make it more lively so that Sinb can feel at home once she is back." Yerin informed the taller girl.

"Do you need my help?" Sowon offered but was declined by Yerin.

"It's okay, I also want a bit of alone time." 

"Call me when you need help."

"Oh wait," Sowon stopped Yerin and took out a recorder from her bag. "I found this on the side of her bed, it was 'for Sinb'. I thought just to let you hear the contents before placing back."

Yerin was taken aback. "Oh-okay."

***

"Hello, Sinb you there? Oh my holy god.. It's awkward talking to myself.

"If you are listening to this audio, it means that you have survived the surgery. The sucess rate is only 40%, so congratulations for being a fighter to stay alive. 

"The side effect of this surgery is that you would lose memories, i don't know how much I would lose, that's why I am recording this to myself.

"Do you remember that you are Hwang Sinb? You are the boss of HwangCorp. You aren't an expressive person, you are a cold-blooded they say. You are also very stubbon. However, none of this applies when you are infront of Sowon-unnie, the tall and lanky grandmother that keeps nagging, Eunha-unnie, the short and cute girl and this really special girl that stole my heart for a long time. She is Yerin-unnie, which gets called as Rin by me. 

"She is probably still mad at me for breaking her heart, but i want to relish the memories I had with her. Like the first time we met was at a carnival where she asked if the seat was taken. The moment i looked up to face her, i became a stuttering mess which I still can't forget. I fell in love with her eyes, which sparkles brightly, perhaps more than my future. When she smiles, her eyes turns into cresent moons and there would be a dimple under her eyes. Cool isn't it?

"She likes to go to beaches and she once told me that she would like to have a house near the beach. I fulfuiled her wish months later and that had became our house for many years. The house feels so empty after she left... Everyday I longed for her presence. Everyday I wake up only to be miserable and lonely. Whenever Yerin use to go overseas, I would always call her because I miss her.

"I desperately want to tell her that what i said that day was a lie. I still miss her alot and I am forever sorry for hurting her.

"She likes to eat pork and she loves dragging me to eat with her. Ha! You must be wondering why you are so fat, it's because of her. Whenever she goes out with me, she likes taking photos of me because she says its a memory for us to keep. She was pratically my personal photographer for free.

"Oh! She likes Christmas too! She is always excited for christmas and we will decorate the christmas tree which is residing in the storage room and we would invite all our friends over and party all night. We would exchange presents, and I have always prepared two presents for her. But she only remembers I gave her one. That is because she still believe in Santa... and every Christmas Eve, I would have to stay awake till the middle of the night when she is in deep sleep, then I would struggle to escape out of her hug just to place her Christmas gift by the Chirstmas tree. And everytime she wakes up on Christmas, she would mock me for saying Santa is fake... in which I would only smile to that. 

"Who is going to be her Santa now? I don't want her childlike dream to be ruined. You can send any present in yellow because she loves yellow so much that I wonder who she would marry to. Yellow or me? Maybe you can send her yellow ducks, she loves ducks as well and I always take her yellow pillow away to . But don't for too long, or she would be so mad that she won't give you any hugs or kisses for days.

"Yerin.. She likes wearing dresses. I never told her, but she looks like a church girl whenever she wears dresses... hahaha... but still, her beauty radiates through the dresses she wears. 

"I don't know if she gets to hear all of this if I never made it out the operating room alive. She probably wouldn't even know I died because I never told her i am sick.. I don't know if I still can recongise her after this but maybe it would be good for both of us...

"But it is really sad that if we meet again and we act like total strangers. 

"Rin, if you are listening to this, please know that I still love you alot and I'm really sorry for everything. Please forget me and find a new love."

***

"Here is your drink Sir."

*Kling*

"Welcome to HwangCoffee!"

Yerin bowed to the assistant and asked, "Is the boss around? I would like to speak to her."

"Yep! You are Ms Yerin right?"

Yerin nodded her head and waited by the side for the boss to appear. "Oh? Yerin! You are here again! How may I help you?" a voice made Yerin look up.

"Hi Sinb! Are you free now?"

"I still have a meeting later..." Sinb said.

"Then, can I wait here till you are done? Maybe we can have dinner together.." Yerin asked while biting her lips nervously.

"What?"

"I mean it's okay if you don't-" Yerin apologised.

"Of course!"

"I love that idea."

"I'll be quick in the meeting!" Sinb said and quickly rushed back into her room.

B-ah, even though you do not remeber me anymore, you still act the same towards me like how we first met. 

I still love you like I use to.

No matter how many setbacks we face,

I am going to make sure that you are my only happy ending.

***

A/N:

I had to get this out of my brain. Leave comments on how i can improve!!