...comfort

let me be your...

Dongmin had never imagined that he’d end up where he was. Honestly- he had always thought he’d go to school, graduate, go to college, and then become a judge, making his family proud in the process. The thought of being an idol had never crossed his mind.

At least, until he was scouted.

Now, he had an entirely different life than he ever expected, and it was amazing, for the most part. He loved the other members of Astro like family, and all the opportunities he’d had since joining Fantagio, all the traveling and television performances and meeting his own personal idols and the amazing fans- it was mind-boggling, and Dongmin would never stop being thankful for getting to experience it all. 

Sometimes, though- sometimes, the amazement could be forgotten. When they had been dancing for so long he could barely feel his limbs, and wanted nothing more than to lie down and go to sleep right on the practice room floor. When fans followed them from location to location, never getting a break from the face he had to put on for the public to see. And particularly right now- when his personal schedule and appearances were still existing, even as the rest of Astro took a step back from the public eye to prepare for their comeback.

The enchantment had been missing for what was going on a week or so when Dongmin walked into the dorm after one particularly grueling day. It was nearing four o’clock in the morning, and he was finally getting back from a day filled to the brim with activities- he’d filmed for the drama that was coming out after Astro’s comeback, had rehearsals for his MC spot, and what felt like a million other things that revolved around them. Traffic had been awful on the way back from his final schedule, a huge car wreck that left them in stand-still streets until the manager finally managed to pull onto a side street and weave around it.

Dongmin kicked off his shoes carelessly. He knew they had an early practice in just a few hours, and he couldn’t miss it. He’d not had the best of sleep schedules before becoming a trainee, studying into all hours of the night to maintain excellent grades. But now, after weeks of surviving on what were more like naps than true sleep, the thought of waking up and going straight to the company building was nearly enough to make Dongmin cry. With a heavy sigh he rested against the wall, tilting his head back and telling himself that in just a minute, he’d move. He’d go and wash the makeup off his face, and then go to his and Bin’s bedroom and go to sleep.

“Hyung?” came a sleepy voice, and Dongmin almost jumped out of his skin in fright. 

Clutching his heart, Dongmin gasped. “Rocky?” 

There was a shuffling, and- of course. Minhyuk was on the couch, where he almost always slept. Dongmin hadn’t noticed him when he’d walked in.

Minhyuk sat up, rubbing his eyes. “Did you just get back?” he asked, and Dongmin tried to slow his racing heartbeat as he nodded. Minhyuk hummed, then shuffled a bit, pressing himself up against the back of the couch. 

Dongmin realized what Minhyuk was doing only a moment before the younger boy patted the now-vacant half of the cushions. “I need to...” he started to say, with a floppy arm gesture towards the bathroom, where his face wash (and honestly, the much-needed shower) were.

But Minhyuk just gave him a sleepy look, then patted the cushions again. Dongmin hesitated for a moment more, but before he could convince himself not to, his body pitched towards the couch in a graceless stumble. 

The groan that came out of Dongmin’s mouth when he finally was horizontal on the couch probably should have been embarrassing, but he was too tired to care. Sleep was already nipping at his heels as Minhyuk shifted to accommodate the second body a bit better, throwing a leg over Dongmin’s thigh and an arm over his back, humming in satisfaction.

Dongmin shamelessly buried his face into Minhyuk’s shoulder, breathing in the smell of the body wash they all used, plus another even more familiar smell. “Did you use my lotion?” he mumbled, eyes drooping.

Minhyuk hummed again. “Binnie-hyung accidentally poured out too much,” he said. Dongmin’s eyes shut all the way, the proximity to Minhyuk’s chest letting him hear the rumble of a voice that was slowly deepening as Minhyuk continued to grow. “He smeared on me so he didn’t waste.”

After that, Dongmin wasn’t really sure what Minhyuk talked about. But he continued speaking in a low voice, telling Dongmin about something or another that had happened in the practice room while he’d been out.

Between his exhaustion and Minhyuk’s quiet narration, Dongmin was out like a light in moments. The next morning, he’d wake up feeling a little better than he had the night before, maybe wonder if Minhyuk could tell that he’d been nearing the end of his rope when he’d gotten to the dorm the hours before. It didn’t really matter though- for all that the schedules and appearances could lose their sparkle, the friendships he’d made in the group were real, and were going nowhere fast.