review by diamondworld reviews

uso

 

Review by Forgettheworld at Diamondworld Reviews.

Title[3/5]

‘uso’ is a very bland name, doesn’t give away much at all and doesn’t create much mystery. It’s also perhaps too short for a story title although I don’t see how you could elongate it. Either way, I still like the simplistic approach it takes.

Foreword/Description/Prologue[4/5]

Again, same issue with the title. Generally, and I agree, oneshots have little or no description but with your simple line – ‘sometimes lies help, but then the truth does, even more’ does create an atmosphere that suits your title and your story.

Plot[36/40]

I like it. It’s very simple (again) but I like the way it switches from place, time, etc yet all the while still flowing nicely. It’s also nice to see how you incorporated the idol life and the Younha case in so well whilst giving an air of bittersweet tale between two people separated by life but in the end comes back together. You’ve built the history and background really well, without having to say too much which is superb.

With the awkwardness between Younha and Kyuhyun and their lies, and together with the court case, I agree that there is sufficient tension, however, your story has no real . In fact it’s rather like a diary – interesting to read at first, but at the end can become the most boring thing ever. A story should have a definite point where the tensions increase and everything comes together. This draws the reader in and makes it more memorable.

Writing Style[13/15]

Really, all writing styles are unique and your writing style, coincidentally enough, reminds me so much of migumeki’s – she probably was influenced by you. =] Although your prose is lovely, rather like reading a poem, I personally, don’t like it. This is only because there is not much connection with the person. There are the basic thoughts and emotions but on a deeper level, it’s hard to connect. Of course, this is a style of writing – it can keep the readers room to think or themselves and wonder how they would react in a situation. However, I, as a reader, prefer the emotions to be clearly shown which allows the reader to sympathize and even empathize with your protagonist. Again, this may just be a personal opinion, and I know Migumeki will scream at me for disliking your writing. =]

Flow[10/10]

I love your flow in this oneshot. It takes place over a few days (or weeks) and yet it connects together so smoothly, it’s just beautiful. Your transition from past to present and yet allowing the events and feelings to change over time is just perfect. I love these kind of stories.

Basic Grammar/Spelling[5/5]

Nothing to say here.

Characterisation[22/25]

Again, this has probably tied in a little with the writing style, at least for me. I got the general gist of things but I never really understood the character on a real depth. Your characters are realistic which is good for such a story yet some situations tend to stretch towards fictional (which it is, but it should never seem like it). However, I still like the way you portray your characters with as little description as possible. I think it would improve a lot more if some more sensual language and imagery had been used.

Ending[9/10]

It ties it together very well, and brings the reader back to the beginning in a way, with the concept of lying. It’s a very nice way to sum up a oneshot for I always like a story to end where it started, in a way. But then again, your writing style again slightly ruined it for me. To me, just saying she’s crying and he feels grateful isn’t enough. I want to be able to feel exactly what they’re feeling and not having to guess at the hints you’ve given me. From this, I want to get some satisfaction that this story has went where I wanted it to go – but in a way, your writing reminds me of watching a movie. You can see the screen and the actors acting the roles they have been instructed to bring to life and yet you can never understand how they truly feel. Writing should be different in the way that everything can be spelled out and for me, your writing style does not do this. It’s the difference (for me) between reading about a tragic love story between Romeo and Juliet and watching it on TV – drastically different.

Overall Enjoyment[15/15]

Despite the writing style, I find myself enjoying it immensely, perhaps because of the flow. Maybe I’ve been reading too many classic novels lately, but I love the way you incorporate time into your oneshot but allowing all the situations to be spread out. It really does remind me of a poem. Well done! =]

TOTAL[117/130]

 

migumeki's note:

Alright, just to clear things up - I didn't take up this review because I knew I wouldn't be able to review it from a completely unbiased angle. Personally, I loved this oneshot. I understand why forgettheworld didn't like aspects of it, but for me, it was your ability to make everything knit together. The transition between the times are well managed and everything just rolls from one point to the next perfectly.The mood of the story on a whole is also engaging and realistic to me. It's something that I feel is recurring in your stories, and part of why your writing is so attractive.

Funnily enough, you've still made it onto our recommended list, despite forgettheworld's lack of love.