Family First

It's Going to be You Always

Jennie Kim woke up to a rainy morning. She hates this weather. It makes her lazy and unproductive. Rainy days mean staying in bed, sipping hot coffee, and cuddling. Speaking of cuddling, Jennie felt something at the other side of the bed stir. She shifts her position and encircles her arm at the other woman lying on her bed and closed her eyes. “Mornings are nice, don’t you think, Jen? Especially since it’s the only time you’re clingy to me.” The woman said. Jennie managed a grunt. She is not really in the mood to talk.

                “You know, my proposal still stands.” The woman continued and stood up to pick her dress on the floor and get ready to leave. Jennie huffed and started looking for her discarded underwear and blouse. She then decided to make coffee in the kitchen while waiting for the woman to finish showering. Upon pouring her first cup, she receives a text from her cousin Yeri:

                We are going to the family estate. It’s important. Cancel all your plans.

                Jennie sighed. What could it possibly be this time? The last instance they went to that place, their grandfather announced that he has arranged his last will and testament already which caused a small rift between her parents and Yeri’s parents. Jennie does not like drama, especially family drama. It’s a whirlwind of one catastrophe after another. Her energy is often drained after a visit in the family estate. She thinks being a part of one of the oldest rich families of South Korea is a great hassle: the press always at their heel for the latest scandal, people using you for their own benefit, and the constant need of protecting your image. “You’re not talkative today, are you?” the woman is now finished with her shower and decides to strut in the kitchen wearing nothing but a towel. She then kissed Jennie’s cheek and grabbed a cup and pour coffee for herself.

                “Giving half your company to me in exchange of dating you isn’t really a good business plan. Yet, I’m flattered. I just don’t want a relationship.” Jennie said.

                “So you just want a buddy?”

                “Every now and then, yes.” Jennie answered calmly. She doesn’t want her morning spoiled by this nonsense. After three consecutive times of having , this woman thinks there is something serious going on. The woman huffed and grabbed her dress and purse. “Don’t call me, Jennie Kim. I’ll call you.” She said and slammed the door behind her.

                All of these would indeed be funny to Jennie if it happens to other people but right now, she feels a bit bad for the woman. She doesn’t deserve being treated like this. Jennie was just being honest. After her last relationship which ended just months ago, she doesn’t think she’s up to another.  A ring on her phone distracts her from her thoughts. “Hey cousin.” Yeri’s voice came from the other end of the line. Jennie can feel her younger cousin’s impatience.

                “Kim Yerim! How’s my baby doing?” Jennie attempts to lighten up her cousin’s mood. “Cut the crap, Jennie. Where are you?” Yeri answered.

                “At my apartment. Don’t come here. I haven’t cleaned yet.”

                “Uh-huh.” Yeri said, voice dripping with suspicion. “Is your buddy still there?”

                “Kim Yeri!” Jennie exclaimed. “Our relationship isn’t like that. She’s a friend!”
                “Yeah, that explains the ‘buddy’ part. Sometimes, you’re stupid. Can’t believe we’re cousins.” Yeri said. Jennie rolled her eyes at her cousin’s comment. She’s used to her bullying. “To answer your question, Yeri, she is no longer here.”

                “Good, open up. I’m at your door now.” Yeri said and finally hung up. Jennie was surprised and immediately buttons up her shirt. “Kim Jennie, you are a !” Yeri exclaimed as Jennie opens the door for her. The younger Kim laughed at the sight of Jennie. “Your ‘friend’ really did a number on your neck and chest, man, be sure to have rabies shots after.” Jennie looked at the mirror and indeed, what Yeri said was true. She sighed. It’ll take a lot of concealer to hide the hickeys.

                “You want some coffee?” Jennie asked.

                “No, I want you to get dressed. It takes 5 hours to reach the estate and I don’t want to be caught in traffic.”

                “Whatever happened to our sisterly bonding everytime you come over?” Jennie attempts to be dramatic but Yeri threw a grape at her.