Chapter One

High Scores and Hijinks

“Hyung please!” Kyungjoo had climbed up onto the tiny dresser which sat between the two sets of bunkbeds in the room, and was leaning his chin against the safety railing of one of the top bunks. “Please go with me? I’ll set everything up and pay, just please.”

Sungjin glanced over the top of the textbook he was currently trying to work through. It seemed his Korean was in need of some refreshing, and their manager had given him a workbook to get through while they were on a short break from school. “Why don’t you ask Sooyoung hyung? You were both talking about the new game that’s coming out earlier.”

Kyungjoo’s face turned into an even more exaggerated pout. “Because Sooyoung hyung is already playing on the computer in the main room.” He shifted to crawl up onto the bed beside Sungjin, who had to move quickly to keep from damaging the workbook or possibly causing Kyungjoo to fall. “Please?”

“What about the other hyungs?” Sungjin tried to appear as disinterested as possible in hopes that maybe Kyungjoo would get tired of his lack of response and simply drop the subject.

Of course, with Kyungjoo that was a high improbability.

“They’re all busy or out somewhere. Jiseok hyung has something at the company building, Taeyeol hyung and Jaesoo hyung went out earlier, Sooyoung hyung is using the computer in the dorm.” Kyungjoo’s face remained in a pout that was almost comically exaggerated.

“What about Sunwoo hyung?” Sungjin raised an eyebrow at the younger. Aside from himself, Kyungjoo seemed to spend most of his time around the older rapper.

Kyungjoo huffed and dropped his head down onto the pillow he had seemingly claimed as his own for now. “Sunwoo hyung is cleaning.” He buried his face in the pillow with a small whine before turning back to Sungjin. “Save me, hyung. If Sunwoo hyung comes in here to clean then he’ll make us clean our closet and beds. He might even insist on the bathroom!”

Sungjin couldn’t stop the tiny huff of air chuckle. While they all had chores and helped out around the dorm, it was Sunwoo hyung who did the majority of the cleaning. And if he divided up the cleaning tasks among the others, it always seemed to fall to Kyungjoo to clean the bathrooms. A task which the youngest would pout about until one of the others (generally Sungjin) would give in and help him with.

Knowing there would be no escaping Kyungjoo’s begging, Sungjin sighed and marked the page of his workbook and closed it. “Okay, fine. But we’re only going to stay for a few hours. And we’re not going to the big cafe, we’re just going to the one a few blocks away.”

Kyungjoo jumped up at the agreement from Sungjin, nearly hitting his head on the ceiling before realising that the top bunk was really close to the ceiling. “Really? Awesome! Let’s go!” He grabbed Sungjin’s arm, pulling it with a grin.

Sungjin laughed and shook his head, reaching to catch Kyungjoo before he got too close to the edge and potentially fell. He was pretty sure that the company would not approve of Kyungjoo breaking his leg or another limb.

“Careful!” Sungjin laughed and shifted on the bed, moving to help Kyungjoo climb down.

When Kyungjoo reached the floor, he reached to motion for Sungjin. “Come on, hyung! Let’s go!” He bounced lightly on his feet, laughing with a big grin.

Sungjin shook his head, putting the book down near the edge of the bed where he could reach it when he climbed down. He knew there was really no stopping Kyungjoo once he got excited about something, so he might as well simply go ahead and go with him. “Okay, okay. Have you asked the hyungs if we were allowed to go?”

Kyungjoo stopped bouncing for a moment before pausing with a slight frown. Sungjin reached the floor and shook his head, reaching to pull the workbook down from the bed and moved to set it on the dresser between the beds.  

Sungjin sighed with a small smile before laughing. “Go ask Sunwoo hyung. I need to get ready to go out.” He gently pushed Kyungjoo towards the door.

After Kyungjoo hurried out, Sungjin turned to stand in front of the small closet area. While he hoped there wouldn’t be any possible fans, but there was always the possibility. It was one of the things that he still couldn’t get used to. They were still a new group, but he wasn’t sure he would ever really grow accustomed to the almost constant eyes.

He pulled out a sweater and pair of jeans, and quickly changed, folding his lounging clothes and setting them back on his bunk. While most of the time when any of the group would go out they would be careful to show a put together look, he didn’t want to spend as much time as the normal routine, so he grabbed a baseball cap (that he was pretty sure might actually belong to Sooyoung hyung) and a mask.

“Hyung, come on let’s go!” Kyungjoo burst back into the room, running over. “Sunwoo hyung said we could go. He gave us the phone to take, so let’s do a stream! Taeyeol hyung and Jaesoo hyung had one earlier, so let’s do one too!” Kyungjoo bounced on the balls of his feet, grinning excitedly.

Sungjin pulled the cap on, closing his eyes for a moment before nodding to Kyungjoo, barely containing the chuckle at the excited noise he made. He grabbed his wallet from the dresser and tucked it in his pocket, motioning towards the door. “Come on then.”

Kyungjoo grabbed Sungjin’s arm and started pulling him towards the door. “I heard the new update is supposed to be the best storyline and there’s more characters and you get to choose from several side quests depending on your character and you get different added bonuses.”

“Be back by curfew. And try not to cause a stir, we don’t need anyone following you home or causing any drama.” Sunwoo called out from the kitchen of the dorm. “And don’t eat too much of the food there. We’re starting concert rehearsals in the morning. And I’m cooking.”

Sungjin chuckled softly before calling out, continuing to the door. “Yes, mom.”

Kyungjoo burst out laughing and quickly jumped behind Sungjin as Sunwoo walked out of the kitchen. “It was Sungjin hyung!”

Sungjin spun around, staring at Kyungjoo in betrayal before turning back to Sunwoo. “Kyungjoo says it too. Everyone does. Well, except for Jiseok hyung.”

Sunwoo sighed with a smile. “That’s because he has the misfortune of being the father of you troublemakers.” He motioned off towards the door. “Go ahead if you’re going. Don’t cause too much of a stir. Taeyeol hyung and Jaesoo hyung have already caused enough for a whole week.”

Sungjin laughed at the exasperated expression on Sunwoo’s face. While Sunwoo might be younger than several of the other members, he was one who looked after the members the most. Aside from Jiseok.

“Come on, hyung! Let’s go!” Kyungjoo grabbed Sungjin’s arm and started pulling him along again. There would be no way of postponing the trip any longer.