I need to pass.

12:39AM: 약속해?

Cute cafe in Hongdae, Seoul

Hello, stranger.

안녕, 낯선사람.

-


 

 CHAPTER ONE 

 —난 합격해야돼.

 

 

 

It's a misty morning. I got out of bed and headed straight to the kitchen for a cup of lemon water. 

Nothing unusual, just getting on my usual routine, preparing myself for another long day ahead. Yeah, I know I sound like I'm almost done with the day already when in reality, I am nowhere close. Ugh. 

 

Right. Oh wait, I knew I forgot something. 

 

Hey there! My name is Bae Yeon Joo/(insert your name)/ - and uh, welcome.... to MY life?  

 

/coughs/ 

 

To be frank with you, my life as a whole can be summed up using one word: 

almost. (or unaccomplished - well either one is equally depressing I know.)

 

Born in the 94, I'm 25 this year. Like, TWENTY-FAAAIVVEEE for goodness sake. How did I even get to this number so quick? I thought I just turned 18, like, last week??? Yet I'm already blowing 25 candles next month? Wait - I don't even know if I'd get a cake lmao.

 

And here I am, still unentitled.

 

Okay, I don't mean it in the Mr/Mrs. Kim or marriage kinda context. I mean I still don't belong anywhere.

To be precise, I'm jobless. And yes, I'm going for my 30th interview later today lol.

 

So yeah, still interested in my life?

 

It's not too late to leave this page. Do it while you can!

(before I haunt you with my ridiculously ridiculous encounters ahead.) 

 

 


 

Monday. Cloudy. 10:16AM 

Interview Timeslot: 11:00AM 

Location: BigH Entertainment

 

I'm here guys. I made it all the way here in one piece (thank god). And I'm still early, YES.

I really have to nail this one. I have to, I HAVE TO. 

 

I've been religiously chanting to myself for the past hour commuter ride to the company. "You got this, you can do this, you will get it this time!" Despite having it chanted for the past 29 times and it never once worked, I still hold onto this little personal routine of mine whenever I have something huge coming up. 

 

Time check: 10:37AM. Alright, I'm still early. I should probably do a quick final check on myself before I head for the interview.

This building is massive. There is a total of 6 floors, one rooftop and 2 basements in the company. The company's building is built in a way that it has multiple secret entrances/exits but none of it is actually visible to the public other than their main entrance(which lead straight to level 2) right at the front of their building where they welcome public like us to visit for official purposes. Even so, it is pretty rare to see people coming in and out of the company as all of the staffs somehow travel in and out through other mediums(?) or probably through the secret passways/entrances that they built just for the internal staffs. You must be wondering now how the heck do I know about all these? Trust me, the words spread so fast here probably no one in this city would not have known about it.

Right, but that's not my main point here. The thing is somehow, someway, I managed to land myself an interview opportunity with BigH Entertainment. The biggest entertainment company in Korea where I swear, the entire population here is fighting to get in. Of course, how could I be so calm talking to you about this where I clearly am one of the predators out there hunting for a job here - well the truth is, I am, still, in the phase of accepting the fact that I got offered an interview lolol. (well I think I need to mention the position that I am interviewing for, just in case you keep your hopes too high, it's - production assistant - which duties basically revolves around buying coffee, lunches, running errands while greeting and bowing endlessly to people above you in the hierarchy - which is basically everyone else except you lol.)

 

Right. But who cares? What's more important now is that I need to get a job before my mum chases me outta the house. The rest we can talk about it later. There are countless of these little no entry signs/doors locked with card sensors all around the company. The only toilet for public use is on level 3, which is one level above where my interview room is located. As an interviewee in this company, it is usually advised not to move around BigH Entertainment to leave a good impression on the staffs. This is because they are known to not favour intruders into their workspace. But really? You gotta do what you gotta do man. There were three other interviewees who arrived earlier while I was in the waiting room. I have no time to spare. I make my way out of the room and took the stairs to level 3. The stairs echoed in the level as I quicken my steps forward. This company is radiating a really weird vibe which I couldn't tell if it's good or bad - because it feels like both. 

Ugrrrrh. 

 

Level 3 - BigH Entertaiment 

 

To my pleasant surprise, level 3 is actually way less tense than level 2. there are actually 2 clear glass doors on this level and a full-length glass panel where you could literally see everything inside, a wide full-length mirror in both of the rooms and a spread of wooden floor. The interior is so sleek and clean, I could literally sleep here. Well, I supposed this should be the artists/trainees practice rooms. 

I couldn't help but take a few steps closer to one of the room to have a closer look at it. The lights are tuned to slight yellow-toned yet it is still bright enough to light up the whole room. There were 3 rows of switches by the side of the room, with a small BigH Entertainment Metal Plate on top. The room has a built-in audio system and there were two rolls of bandages lying at the corner of the room. Oh, someone must have injured themselves here? Let's see what else BigH has in store for —  

 

/taps/

 

I feel a huge palm over my shoulder.

 

"YAH!" A deep voice peal across my neck. SHIZ BAE YEON JOO RIP BYJ. 

 

I turn around and............

....I think I felt my heart skipped a beat.

Or at least half a beat.

 

Man, this guy is so stunningly good looking.

Probably the most perfect face I've ever encountered in my entire 25 years of life. 

 

As much as I'm scared for my life right now, I simply couldn't take my eyes off his. I think we locked gaze for at least a good 10 seconds before he pulls his hands away from my shoulder. 

 

"Who are you? Why are you here?" 

Man, his voice is so deep that it's so painfully good to my ears. I could listen to him all day. 

 

The only problem now is that I am so not in the position to be appreciating this guy in front of me when what I should really be doing is to now think of a proper excuse to save my for the interview later....... 

 

"Excuse me?" 

 

Shiz. You should have gone straight to the freaking toilet omg - now how the heck did I end up in this state again?  

 

RIP BJY. BYEE - 

 

 

 

 


 

 AUTHOR'S NOTE: 

Hope you guys enjoyed the quick preview of the story in this very first chapter! 

I'd love to hear what's on your mind!

 

Do subscribe to this story if you enjoyed it and leave me an upvote so I'd know if this is worth to be continued

 

Till we meet again, see ya! 

 

Love, 

V.