Chapter one - The year 2018

Time's up: make a choice.

The screeching hiss of the steam wand was stuck on an endless loop as minhyuk forced his lips to tug upward into a half smile, giving the customer assurance that he was doing his best to get all the orders made as fast as he could. He hated his job, but his therapist recommended that he start to get back into work and a healthy routine. Almost three years had past since he started to have blanks, things he couldn't seem to remember, no matter how hard he tried to remember. It was a difficult task, dealing with rude customers on a daily basis while he tried his best to not let the secrets consume him. Today had seemed like every other day, a forced smiles, rude customers and coffee, lots of coffee. Minhyuk was about to head off to his break when his manager stopped him. “A customer is asking for you specifically, please just serve him before you go. He’s being persistent, says he won’t leave until you serve him”. Minhyuk took in a deep breath, heaving it out as slow as he took it in. “yes ma'am, i’m sorry” he said, his head bowed as he tried his best to hide his frustration. Looking back up, Minhyuk put on his best ‘retail’ face as he approached the customer who awaited his service. Minhyuk’s eyes slowly darkened with confusion as he was met by a stranger. How did this man know his name? He thought, his eyes walking up and down the tall man. He was well dressed, like he could be an important business man. “How can i help?” Minhyuk asked calmly, his fake smile stretching from ear to ear as he took in another deep breath. “It’s not how you can help me, but how i can help you” the man said to Minhyuk, as his dark eyes pierced straight through him. “Help me? Im sorry sir, you must have me mistaken with someone else. May i take your order?” He asked calmly, avoiding eye contact with the strange man. “I’ll take an americano, to go”. Minhyuk gave a nod and placed the order on the register. “Card or cash?” He asked the man, in which he replied “Cash”. Minhyuk completed the transaction before he then prepared the man’s coffee. He had ground enough coffee for a double shot and placed the cup under the machine and watched the thick, black coffee to pour into the cup. He had topped up the beverage with hot water before he handed it over to the man. “Here you go sir” Minhyuk said. “I can show you the truth, think about it” The man said as he took the drink, his fingers barely touching Minhyuk. Though the touch was brief, Minhyuk felt something strange course through his body as the stranger walked away and took a seat. Not thinking much of the strange encounter, minhyuk left for his break. As he sat in the break room, what the strange man had said played on his mind. “I can show you the truth?” he said to himself “The truth about what?” he asked himself as he had laid back in the chair and closed his eyes. Minhyuk’s heart had begun to beat faster and the feeling of fear soon washed through his body. The image of a boy came to focus in his mind, he was about eleven years of age with glowing brown eyes and soft hair as dark as coal. Then again, the same boy but older. As the image of the boy became more vivid in his mind, an unknown panic had begun to take over Minhyuk which had caused him to sit up suddenly, gasping for air. “I can show you the truth” he repeated to himself after experiencing what he believed to be an important piece of his repressed memories. Minhyuk quickly stumbled up onto his feet, but as he looked out throughout the cafe, he had discovered that the strange man had gone. Minhyuk paused for a moment as he gathered his thoughts and regained composure. Walking out into the cafe calmly, he approached a man who was reading a newspaper and that’s when a particular headline caught his eye. “Time travel?” he laughed softly before realising he had spoken out loud. “Oh, sorry. Are you finished sir? May i take your cup?”, Minhyuk had asked as his face slowly flushed pink in embarrassment. The man gave a nod of approval before greeting Minhyuk with a warm smile. “Yeah, seems silly doesn’t it? Time travel. If you ask me, i think they have just run out of stories” The man said to Minhyuk at which Minhyuk stayed silent, taking the dirty dishes. As he was about to head off to the kitchen, minhyuk stopped in his tracks as his eyes fell upon what appeared to be a watch. “Excuse me sir, i’m sorry but did you see who was sitting here?” Minhyuk asked, picking up the watch, one he had never seen before. “Ah, he was quite tall i think, dressed up in a suit like he might be in sales or some fancy job” the customer replied in which Minhyuk then thanked him. Heading out to the front of the cafe, Minhyuk looked up and down the street on both sides but there was no sign of the man. His lips pursed as he tried to make sense of the strange events that had just unfolded on this particular day. Deciding to dismiss it as mistaken identity, Minhyuk returned inside and continued on with his job.