Chapter 1

Grand Slam (Draft)

Spring. A season full of bright cherry blossoms and warm sunlight. But for the girls' baseball team of JYP High, this is the season they never enjoyed. Summer League is just a few months away and Spring time is when they all endure rigorous trainings, which would be nice if they were winning. But so far, all of their tournaments end up quite early. Even if that's the case, they never stopped nor quit. It was what they enjoy the most.

 

So there they were, back on the school's baseball field working hard. Their roster was quite lacking, most of their seniors had already left for college or were injured. Luckily for them, a small sliver of hope awaits...

 

 "Alright girls, gather around. I've got a few announcements."

 

A male voice echoed through the field that morning. Every player had just finished running laps and were stretching when they were summoned. They all lined up in a single file before bowing their heads.

"Good morning, coach Park!"

The man they reffered to as 'coach Park' nodded softly at the group. "At ease, ladies. Today I've got some news for you." He said before motioning to a group of girls to come join beside him. "As we all know, we have a shortage of players for this season. And so I present to you these four new recruits. They all came from a school in Busan and the school offered them a scholarship so they could join us here." he then turned to his side and smiled. "Introduce yourselves and your positions."

One girl stepped forward before bowing in front of the players. "Hello, everyone! My name is Kim Dahyun, a 2nd year student and I play Left Field. Please take care of me!" she said brightly as her eyes and lips curl into crescents which made everyone smile as well. Dahyun took a step back before another one introduced herself.

"Hello. I'm Chou Tzuyu. 1st year. I play 2nd Base. Nice to meet you all." the tall girl said as she bowed. Everyone bowed back at her before Tzuyu stepped back as well.

"Son Chaeyoung.1st year and I play Short Stop." the smallest in the group smiled before hearing a few snickers from them. She rolled her eyes in a way that indicates that she was used to hearing those small giggles. "Yeah, yeah. I'm literally short and I play Short Stop, it's funny I know." she said with a smile which made everyone laugh a bit more.

 

Finally, the last girl stepped forward for her introduction. "Hi. My name is Myoui Mina. 2nd year. I play as the catcher." she said with a small smile. Two of the players raised their eyebrows.

"Wait.... You're Japanese?" One of them asked. Mina responded with a nod which made those two players smile wide.

"Finally, a new Japanese kid! I've been stuck with Sana all these years so I finally have a new one to bother~" the other girl said which made everyone laugh. Mina saw at least a few players poking a short haired player which had a not impressed on her face. She kept her eyes on her until coach Park cleared his throat.

 

"These girls will be taking their positions in the starting lineup. Other players will be joining in reserve so we'll wait for them. In the meantime, I want this core group to try and be comfortable with each other. That's enough warm up for today. We'll start the training in two days. Show these girls the campus and tour them around. You're all dismissed."

 

Everybody bowed with a smile on their face, happy that the training was cut short with the arrival of the new players. "Yes, coach!"

With coach Park's departure, the girls started introducing themselves to each other. One girl pulled out from the line of players before speaking. "I guess we should introduce ourselves the same way they did. So I want you guys to step forward one by one as well." there were a few grumbles from the players but the girl was persistent. "Oh, come on! It'll be fun!~ You know what, I'll start." the girl smiled at the new recruits. "Hello, kids. My name is Suzy. I'm on my senior year I am the reserve pitcher and also the team manager. I'll be the one handling your accommodations on the team's dorm as well. Let's all work together, okay?" Suzy said as she smiled, she was as bright as Dahyun was but she was prettier than Tzuyu. The four new students bowed shyly. One by one the players started introducing themselves as well.

 

"Hello~ My name is Park Jihyo. 3rd year. I play Center Field. Nice to meet you all~"

"Hirai Momo. 3rd year. Right Field. If you want to know good places to eat, you can ask me. You can also ask me to eat with you."

"Minatozaki Sana here. 3rd year as well. 3rd Base. That would be my playing position. I can also go 3rd base on you guys so watch out."

"Stop with that flirting nonsense, Sana." a girl quipped before smiling with a bunny teeth smile. "My name's Im Nayeon. 1st base. Let's play along well, okay?"

 

"Yoo Jeongyeon, 3rd year, starting pitcher. Call me Ace, that would be easier." the short haired girl said nonchalantly.

"Ace, my . Too airheaded, aren't we?" Nayeon said as she jabbed Jeongyeon's side with her elbow, earning her a glare. "Don't look at me like that. I'm older than you." Nayeon puffed her chest out as if showing dominance.

 

"Now that we all know each other, I think we should help them settle in their dorms, right?" Suzy asked everyone who all nodded except for one. Sana on the other hand has already had her arm wrapped around Dahyun's as she smiled at her.

"I'll show you a room perfect for a princess like you." Sana said as she smiled before tugging the white skinned girl who was already beet red from being shy.

"Sana I swear to God Jihyo if you're talking about your room that's never gonna happen!" Nayeon shouted as the group followed the two. Mina took the opportunity to approach a specific girl.

 

"Hello. Jeongyeon, right? I hope we can work well together as the starting pitcher and catcher." Mina smiled as she held her hand towards Jeongyeon who only stared at her.

"Don't get your hopes too high. You're just a sub." Jeongyeon said sharply before picking up her bag and walking away, leaving Mina hanging. Suzy saw everything so she held Mina's hand.

"I'm so sorry for that. Jeongyeon is usually not that moody. It's just that the one you're replacing as the starting catcher is Seungyeon, Jeongyeon's sister. She got injured last season so she decided to stop playing for the team so she can recover for the collegiate tryouts."

Mina just nodded at Suzy's explanation. "It's okay. I'm not mad at her. She looks troubled. I'll just work hard for her to acknowledge me."

"That's better. So, shall we settle in with your rooms?" Suzy's smile was extra brighter in the hopes to cheer up the girl.

"Sure. Let's go." Mina nodded before letting Suzy lead the way. Looking back, Mina took one more glance at the figure of Jeongyeon walking away.

 

 

 

'Maybe next time . . . '