The Beauty And The Damn - 1

The Beauty And The Damned

I squinted my eyes, trying to adjust to the sunlight that woke me up from my slumber. Pushing my upper body up, I sat straight and saw Yoongi under the same tree reading a book in his hands. I stood up and brushed off the grass that were on my pants.

 

"Yoongi-ah, what time is it?" I asked. The said boy diverted his attention from the book to the expensive watch wrapped around his pale wrist.

 

"It's —"

 

His voice was cut off by a laughter. A melody I heard a few times. I turned my head and saw her. Her smile was bright as she laugh with her sister who was making funny faces at her.

 

I stared at her lovingly, although I knew that was not going to last. Both me and her are two different people that can never mix for I will corrupt her beauty.

 

She has a crown waiting to be placed on top of her hazel locks. A kingdom waiting to be ruled by her genuine and kind personality. A prince to be married to and rule the kingdom that was once little but will grow having to merge after their marriage. That was her life. It was all planned before she was even born.

 

Compared to her, my life is more free. However, I'm not free from all the hardships I have yet to face. While she has a crown, I have a shoe to polish. While she has a kingdom, I have a whole village who despises me. And while she has a prince, I have no one, not even a peasant like me to marry.

 

"Seokjin-ah," Called Yoongi. He gestured that it was probably the time to go which I responded with a smile and a nod.

 

Yoongi was the son of the duke. He lived in a comfortable household, sleep in a soft bed, eat three meals a day, and has silk for clothing. We both have completely different statuses but it didn't stopped us from being best friends. We were born on the same day, my mother and his mother gave birth at the same place. Ever since then, both Mins and Kims had been friends.

 

"What's so fun in reading?" I questioned. I've always wandered what Yoongi find so fascinating about books and pages. To be honest, I prefer a game of football than reading.

 

"I haven't really thought about it. Maybe it's because of how I imagine the way the author wrote the story?" He shrugged.

 

Eventually, we reached the fields behind the castle. Boys my age were already their, practicing how to use a sword by challenging against each other. The other side of the field were where a stable with healthy horses. Beside that, there's a small cabin where I assume they put the swords and weapons we will be using to train.

 

"Tell me again why are you doing this? We can help you, Jin."

 

Jin. The nickname my mother gave me.

 

I only gave Yoongi a smile in return. My mother passed away a month ago, my father didn't take the news well that he ended up being hospitalized. I've applied to several jobs before, like the bakery, however I always ended up fired. I didn't want to ask the Mins for help, afterall, they've done so much already.

 

My last choice was this. If I get accepted, they can pay me for the work I've done in protecting the Royal family. Then maybe, I'll be able to pay for the fees that needed to get paid.

 

A man in a leather tunic appeared. Yoongi gave me one last smile before he left.

 

"The training starts now."