Things are Shaping Up to be Pretty Odd

I'm Puttin' Out the Lantern, Find Your Own Way Back Home

“Car broke down…car broke down! Car broke down, again~”

 

“We crashed it again~”

 

Namjoon hummed along with Kookie and Jimin’s singing, Jin merrily strumming on his guitar as the group sat on the side of the road, their old beat up van sitting abandoned on the shoulder of the highway.

 

“Shouldn’t we like, try to fix it?” Yoongi asked, leaning against Tae’s side with a cigarette in hand—Tae, not seeming to care much at all about the situation as he fiddled with his camera, trying to set up a shot.

 

“Probably,” Namjoon answered, his voice airy and light. The sun was setting, and it was quite beautiful on the desert skyline.

 

They’d been driving for at least 8 hours, now—which really wasn’t much in the grand scheme of things. That damned van probably had so many miles on it, 8 hours was but a blip in its lifetime.

 

Did the time really matter, anyway? Namjoon thought, watching the sun set slowly, the group’s music a background buzz as his mind went blank with the sunset colors splashing vibrantly in the sky in front of him—almost brighter than Tae’s tie-dyed oversized t-shirt the shorter boy was wearing that kept catching Namjoon’s attention from the corner of his eye as the younger continued to fight with his tripod.

 

Time used to matter, it used to be all he cared about. What time was it, how much time did he have, how much time was left to do that, where did the time go?

 

Namjoon smiled, humming again as he closed his eyes and layed his head comfortably in Hoseok’s lap, hearing Tae’s camera flash.


“I really, really don’t think this is a good idea, Hoseok,” Namjoon whispered, slightly out of breath from climbing out his second story window and down the tree in his backyard.

 

“Seriously, Joon, it’s not a big deal. It’s a carnival. You said you wanted to go!”

 

“Hoseok, if my parents find out—,”

 

“They won’t. I promise.”

 

And so, the night began.

 

Hoseok, Namjoon’s best (and really only) friend, having brought news about the carnival in town at their graduation on Friday, had insisted on going that Saturday night as a sort of celebration before they had to figure out what they were doing with the rest of their lives. However, Namjoon’s parents were of the stricter variety, not to mention—very much against the sort of activities to be held at that carnival. Namely, fortune tellers, burlesque dancing, alcohol (and who knew what else) and not to mention, the fact that it went on well into the night. Much later past a reasonable bedtime if one was to have church on Sunday morning.

 

“Two tickets, please!”

 

The ticketmaster—an older man, with an odd twinkle in his eye to match his odd circus style overcoat, grinned as he stuck out his hand wordlessly.

 

“Hoseok, I didn’t bring any money—,”

 

“I got it, don’t worry about it. Just try to have a little fun for once, alright? That’ll pay me back plenty.”

 

The two boys wandered into the carnival, not quite knowing where to head first. There were so many tents, brightly colored and standing out garishly against the desert outskirts of the town. People were milling about everywhere, jaunty carnival music playing from an unknown source mostly drowned out by the noise of the crowd. There were a few different rides, the safety questionable, but the danger somewhat enticing.

 

The air smelled oddly sweet and salty at the same time, making Namjoon’s stomach rumble.

 

The boys walked aimlessly for a while, eating a fair share of food that probably had zero nutritional value, but tasted like Heaven. Hoseok steadfastly refused to go on the rides, though Namjoon wasn’t complaining—he didn’t feel like dying just yet.

 

The desert was much cooler at night, but it was a comfortable summer night, and the winds felt oddly nostalgic. Namjoon always loved the breeze of a summer night.

 

“Wanna go in?” Hoseok asked suddenly, shaking Namjoon out of his reverie and winking.

 

Hoseok was pointing at the very clearly marked tent, a security personnel sitting on a fold out chair in front of the entrance looking less than thrilled at his job as loud, dancey music poured out from inside the tent.

 

“Uh, I’ll pass, Hobi. You know I don’t…,” Namjoon trailed off, blushing.

 

“Come on, live a little! It’s not like your parents will know!”

 

“Seriously, I’d rather…not,” Namjoon said, looking around and ignoring Hoseok’s disgruntled mumbling. “What about…the fortune teller?”

 

“Oh, so a strip show is blasphemous, but fortune telling is perfectly fine—,”

 

“Not me! For you,” Namjoon rushed out, “I mean—as long as its not me getting my fortune told, it’s fine. If I just…watch you get yours done.”

 

“Whatever you say, man.”

 

The inside of the fortune teller’s tent was…well, interesting looking—behind the clouds of smoke, anyway. There were little old-fashioned trinkets and 70’s style bead curtains and decorations throughout the tent, which was much smaller than most of the others they had come across. Namjoon stood a little bit behind Hoseok, looking hesitantly at the few people sitting around on makeshift couches and lawn chairs inside the small space.

 

“Looks like we got a couple, boys,” one of them said, giggling lightly. Namjoon made eye contact with the…boy? It looked like a boy, but also…girly, it was hard to tell at first with all the smoke. Swirly pink and purple makeup covered the person’s face in a butterfly pattern like a masquerade mask, heavy glitter around the eyes, and pink, puffy lips that were forming a Cheshire grin.

 

“Calm it, Jimin, you’re scarin’ ‘em off already,” another voice interjected, one much deeper than this “Jimin” who was still giggling softly, laying across another boy’s lap causing his flowy white lace top rode up a bit around his midsection.

 

Upon further inspection, the voice was indeed coming from that other person—who was now leaning forward, his face showing a bit clearer now that the smoke was clearing.

 

He was quite attractive, too—not nearly as feminine looking as Jimin, not nearly as much makeup aside from some heavy eyeliner that swirled off into vine-like loops down onto his cheekbones. He was wearing a long, thin paisley patterned button-up (though, ed) that was at least 3 sizes too big for his thinner body, and equally huge brown coolock shorts tied at the waist with a small beaded rope acting as a belt. Namjoon envied this guy’s ability to pull off such an outfit.

 

“You guys wanna know your future?” He asked, smirking, as though it were a joke that they were all sitting around in a fortune teller’s tent. His grin was boxy, and his eyes bright as the carnival ride lights.

 

“Uh. I don’t—he does,” Namjoon stuttered, pushing Hoseok—who seemed to be enamored with that Jimin person—forward a bit, and keeping his gaze on the sandy ground below.

 

“I’m sure the Almighty Suga would just looove to tell your fortune, however—he’s on a bit of a smoke break,” the third and final voice chimed in: a rather broad-shouldered man, blond haired and somehow even more handsome than the other two, sat loftily on the edge of one of the couches, an acoustic guitar resting on his lap. Namjoon gawked at the man’s beauty for a moment, before realizing what he was doing and quickly turning his attention back to the others, hoping no one would notice his cheeks turning red. Maybe he could just blame it on the heat.

 

“Go get him, Jinnie! We can’t have customers be kept waiting,” Jimin sing-songed, very un-subtly looking Hoseok up and down, before giggling again and hiding his smile behind his hand.

 

“Ayo Suga!” Jin yelled—shocking Namjoon, the boy stumbling back and nearly bringing down a side table beside him as he grabbed on to stabilize himself.

 

“Clumsy one—don’t think we need Suga to tell us how that one’ll die,” Jin drawled, clicking his tongue as he got up and walked over to the table to straighten out its decorations.

 

“S-sorry, it was an accident—,”

 

“Don’t worry about it, Kid! Jinnie is just getting old and mean!”

 

“Stop calling me old, Tae! Do you want to sleep on the roof of the van, because I’ll tie you there myself!”

 

Namjoon laughed nervously, moving closer to Hoseok’s side. The room quieted down, however, when another two people walked in from the back entrance of the tent.

 

“I thought we were done for the night,” the shorter, silver haired boy huffed tiredly, looking disdainfully at Namjoon and Hoseok from behind the main table in the tent. His cat-like eyes— made up similarly to Tae’s, but with less swirling and a dusting of glitter—stared them down from across the space, making Namjoon shiver a bit. He could have sworn the air felt different, all of a sudden—but that was probably just the nerves.

 

“They just walked in—who were we to tell them to get the hell out?” ‘Tae’ said, waving one of his hands in the general direction of the two newcomers, his other hand running through Jimin’s silky looking black hair.

 

“Uh, the guards,” Suga answered, sarcasm dripping from his voice, “that’s who.”

 

“See, now that’s where you messed up. You shoulda left Kookie out here to guard the tent! He’s the muscle pig around here, after all,” Tae replied, lazily gesturing towards the last stranger, who remained silent.

 

“Uh…so, can I like—get a fortune, told, or whatever?” Hoseok asked, looking around the now full tent warily.

 

“Or whatever,” Suga grumbled, roughly sitting down behind the main table, pulling a deck of cards out from underneath the purple satin tablecloth.

 

“What about Stumbles over there?”

 

Namjoon flinched a bit realizing Suga was talking about him.

 

“Uh…no, I don’t…it’s not really my thing—,”

 

“He’s scared,” Hoseok interrupted, elbowing Namjoon lightly in the side to shut him up.

 

“Scared, hm? Too scared to go in the Big Boy’s Tent too, I noticed,” Jimin teased, his voice lowering at the mention of the “special” tent.

 

“You’re a stalker, Jimin. Stop being so creepy, please,” Jin rolled his eyes, but smiled and winked at Namjoon from his spot on the couch.

 

“Hey, it’s not my fault, you know I can’t help it—,”

 

“Yeah, yeah, alright, shut up. You—funny guy, come sit down. Scaredy-Cat, go…I don’t know. Find a seat, sit down, chill out. Your energy is messing with my cards.”

 

Namjoon flitted his gaze around anxiously before quickly heading over to sit next to Jin on the couch, blushing again as he heard Tae and Jimin giggling at his awkwardness.

 

“Right, so—do you have anything specific you’re wondering about?” Suga asked, lightly shuffling his cards, almost caressing them softly as he watched Hoseok think.

 

“Uh. Not really, I guess.”

 

Namjoon could almost feel Suga’s irritation at that, the fortune teller narrowing his eyes.

 

“The more general, the less accurate,” he grumbled, before setting out the cards in some sort of pattern on the table. Namjoon averted his gaze, suddenly realizing they weren’t normal playing cards.

 

It felt as though they sat there for at least an hour, though Namjoon was too anxious to really keep track on his watch. As scary as Suga had first appeared, as the reading went on Namjoon noticed the boy somewhat shedding that tough-guy appearance, really getting into the reading and getting comfortable talking to Hoseok. The air felt lighter again. It was almost comfortable.

 

“You’re very open to change. I don’t think it’ll be a problem, for you. But don’t forget about those you keep around you—you have a very…inviting atmosphere. Trust those you choose to keep close, since they’ll be the ones who keep you grounded when you get flighty,” Suga said, an air of finality surrounding his words. Namjoon tuned back in, his eyes blinking sleepily. The smoke in here was making him drowsy.

 

“Wow. I mean-yeah, thanks,” Hoseok muttered, lost in thought. He went to pull out his wallet, and Suga stopped him.

 

“No charge,” he stated simply, gathering his cards lightly again, stacking them carefully before putting them back into a case.

 

“Oh. Uh…thanks? Are you sure?” Hoseok asked, standing up from the table. Namjoon stretched, getting up from the couch—though he felt he could probably fall asleep there. When had it gotten to be 3 am?

 

“Positive. Consider it an after-hours special.”

 

Jimin laughed again, and Namjoon saw the quiet one-Kookie?- now sitting on the ground below Jimin and Tae, join in with a breathy chuckle of his own.

 

“We really…should get going, Hoseok—I gotta get home.”

 

“Yeah…yeah, we should go,” Hoseok said, looking around the tent again. “Will you guys…be here tomorrow night, too?”

 

“Tomorrow. We pack up that night, leave Monday morning,” Jimin answered, curling a strand of hair around his finger. “And no, we don’t know where we’re going yet.”

 

“Will you—,”

 

“And we don’t know when we’re coming back here,” Jimin continued, cutting off Hoseok’s questions before he could speak.

 

“O…kay? Um. I think I’ll come back. Tomorrow,” Hoseok said, looking at Namjoon.

 

“I don’t know if I can, Hoseok—I have church, and then—,”

 

“Just skip?”

 

“I can’t just—,” Namjoon sighed. As much as he loved Hoseok, the other boy could never understand just how overbearing Namjoon’s parents were.

 

And yet, as Namjoon layed in his bed that night, staring at his ceiling unable to fall asleep—all he could think about was going back.

 

As weird as it was, as awkward as he had felt at first, something felt right about it all. Once he let down his initial guards and allowed himself to actually feel the atmosphere, feel the night, it was addicting.

 

He was gonna go back.

 

And he did go back—as soon as he got home from church on Sunday, tired but determined— telling his parents he was going to the library to study, he walked to the end of the block and called Hoseok to come get him.

 

This time, heading straight to the fortune teller’s tent, they were greeted by the familiar faces of makeup and glitter. They wasted most of the day away, once again Namjoon’s initial nerves eventually fading into a relaxed, comfortable energy as the conversations and music and laughter filled the air like a soft padding.

 

“You’re very spacey,” Jin told him, his hand curling around his drink lightly.

 

“Spacey?” Namjoon repeated, blinking away his thoughts.

 

“You seein’ somethin’ we ain’t seein’?” Tae asked, and again Namjoon couldn’t tell how much of his words were joking, and how much he was being serious. He decided it was a joke, and let out an awkward chuckle.

 

“I mean, if you are—not like we’d have any room calling you crazy,” Jimin added, his smile kind, but his face hiding some emotion Namjoon couldn’t quite figure out.

 

“Uh, I just…think, a lot,” Namjoon finally explained, feeling Suga’s gaze on him. He ignored it.

 

“That’s dangerous,” Jin snorted, earning another round of giggles from the others.

 

“His head is always in the clouds, that’s why he runs into everything,” Hoseok joined in, plopping down on the couch next to Namjoon, “sometimes you just gotta bring him back down to Earth.”

 

Namjoon huffed, but couldn’t disagree. It was something he always got in trouble for as a kid, and something his parents had always tried to correct—to no avail, obviously.

 

“He’s on Earth. He’s just more connected to it than most people,” Suga finally chimed in from his spot at his table, absent-mindedly arranging and rearranging his cards seemingly from habit.

 

“Whatever, oh Great Seer of All Things,” Jin rolled his eyes, smiling back sweetly when Suga sneered at the name.

 

“You guys want some?” Tae asked, gesturing towards them with an object Namjoon had never seen in person- some sort of hookah?

 

“Uh, I don’t smoke,” Namjoon declined, but bit his lip as Hoseok accepted.

 

“I hope our van holds out for us this time,” Kookie mumbled, taking it from Hoseok’s hands as the older boy coughed roughly around the smoke.

 

“She’ll make it. She always does.”

 

“Do you guys know where you’re going next, yet?” Namjoon asked, feeling a bit green from inhaling the second-hand smoke in the tent. The smell of incense burning was just barely there to counteract.

 

“Nope,” Jimin said, mouth popping on the “P”, grinning as it became his turn to have a drag.

 

“We hardly ever know,” Jin explained further, “we just…go. You know? We figure it out.”

 

“...Right,” Namjoon nodded, pretending as though he fully understood Jin’s logic.

 

“He doesn’t get it, Jinnie,” Jimin shook his head lightly, smiling before humming a tune Namjoon couldn’t place.

 

“He doesn’t have to, it’s not like he’s going with us,” Tae laughed, but stopped when Suga looked at him sharply.

 

“You guys just…travel, then? Nonstop?” Hoseok asked, fully intrigued. He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees.

 

“Basically. You could say this is our job, if you wanna be technical,” Kookie answered, “I mean—not as though we really gotta…work. It’s…natural, for us,” the youngest of the bunch mumbled, looking at Hoseok with wide eyes.

 

“And…you guys don’t have, like, families?” Namjoon asked, finally giving in to the curiosity. “What about…school? Some of you have to be younger than us, and we just graduated!”

 

“We are family,” Jimin cut in, more serious than Namjoon had seen in the past two days altogether.

 

“And we learn more about the world doing this than school could teach us,” Tae added, staring at Namjoon’s bookbag he had brought along for his library cover up.

 

“But…,” Namjoon started, before being interrupted again by Jimin.

 

“We know how people see this. We know most people assume that we’re just kids who play little acts for a circus, and that none of this is serious. It’s serious to us,” he said, his voice still thick, “not the makeup, or the outfits, or even the acts. It’s the being together. And being free to be…how we want to be. That’s…that’s why we do this.”

 

Namjoon thought on it, still unsure. It sounded an awful lot like they had all just run away from home, somehow met up and started a new weird carnival troupe life and that somewhere out there, they had families wondering where they were.

 

“No one is looking for us,” Jimin smiled, somewhat…sadly.

 

Namjoon snapped his head up, blinking owlishly at Jimin.

 

“How did you—,”

 

“We should really…start packing,” Suga said, his voice cutting the new odd tension in the air like a knife.

 

Hoseok fretted for a bit, before standing up and saying, “I think…I want to come with you guys.”

 

Namjoon in a breath. The tent went quiet.

 

“W-well, uh,” Jin stuttered, “you kinda…can’t just…I mean—,”

 

“He can, Jinnie! He can, I felt it!” Tae jumped up excitedly, rushing over towards Hoseok and pulling the other into a rough hug.

 

“How come you didn’t tell me?” Jimin gasped, scandalized.

 

“Suga said not to!”

 

“I SAID, don’t try to influence anything,” Suga corrected, a pinched look on his face.

 

“I don’t…,” Namjoon muttered, his voice shaky, “I don’t…understand. Hobi, you can’t…you can’t just leave!”

 

“Hey, ‘Hobi’! That’ll be a good stage name,” Kookie smiled, not quite noticing Namjoon’s distress.

 

“Joonie…it’ll just be, like…a gap year,” Hoseok tried rationalizing, “just…a bit of a roadtrip. I mean. You know, it’s not like…the military, or something,” he rambled.

 

“You can come too, Joonie!”

 

“Tae. Stop,” Suga snapped. The two locked gazes for a few seconds, before Tae sighed and went to sit back down on the couch.

 

“I really…can’t. I think…I think I should just…go, home,” Namjoon said, swallowing thickly.

 

“I’ll take you,” Hoseok said quietly, “I need to get everything…situated, anyway. I’ll be back,” he said to the others, before following Namjoon outside.

 

The car ride back to town was silent, and Namjoon’s mind blurred with all of the scenarios and emotions and thoughts, and the air was suffocating. He rolled down a window, sighing as the wind brought him a momentary relief.

 

As fate would have it, his parents had somehow learned of his “scandalous” activities—probably someone from the church had seen him around the carnival with Hoseok (who he was technically “not allowed” to hang out with, anyway). As somewhat hypocritical that would be, Namjoon had no other explanation. What he did know, however, was that his parents were not happy.

 

“I just…wanted to have fun,” he tried to explain, “is it really that bad?”

 

“You lied to us! And to go to a…carnival, of all things. Especially…THAT one!” his mother cried.

 

“And being around…that boy,” his father added in, disgust clear in his face. “That whole family is just…not right. It’s just not right.”

 

Namjoon endured the lecturing, before going to his room and letting a few frustrated tears out and collapsing onto his bed.

 

It didn’t take him long to figure out what he wanted to do.

 

He decided he wouldn’t need much. There wouldn’t be much room on the van anyways.


“I’m starving. Stop for snacks,” Tae whined, reaching up to the front seat to poke Jin’s side.

 

“I’m not stopping this van again, it might not start back up.”

 

“It won’t matter if we die of starvation!”

 

“Hey Yoongs, you see anything about us dying of hunger? Lemme know.”

 

“Shut the up, Pretty Boy.”

 

“Hey, my face makes us a lot of money, you should show a little more respect!”

 

“Saying it like that makes you sound like an , or something.”

 

“You just made it weird, Yoongi. Why do you have to make it weird?”

 

“I just want some fries, man,” Kookie groaned, sinking down into the seat.

 

“Drive thru it is—this crazy bus isn’t stopping.”

 

“What if we have to pee?” Namjoon asked, horrified.

 

“Don’t answer that, do not!” Jimin laughed, shoving a hand on Tae’s mouth before he could reply.

 

“I’m gonna drive off and leave you all in the desert while you’re sleeping,” Yoongi sighed.


“Hoseok? Have you left yet?”

 

“No, I’m about to—why?”

 

“I’m gonna need a ride. I’m coming with.”

 

“Right on.”

 

Saying goodbye to the small town wasn’t that hard, and Namjoon felt surprisingly light as he helped the group pack up their tiny tent, shoving the majority of their items into the trunk of the van and leaving only a few bags out.

 

“Hope you don’t get carsick, the roads can be pretty rough.”

 

“Nah, we’ll be good,” Namjoon smiled. Suga—or Yoongi, as the older had told him his name was—smiled back knowingly.

 

“Yeah, you will be.”


“How are the fries?”

 

“Uh, they’re soggy.”

 

“Agh.”

 

“Which is a good thing.”

 

“Oh…ew.”

 

Namjoon huffed out a laugh, Hoseok and Kookie’s exchange soon forgotten in favor of humming along to Jimin and Tae singing in the seats front of them.

 

They had been driving for…a while. Namjoon had lost count of the hours. It didn’t matter anymore.

 

“How’s the air feel, Joonie? Good vibes?” Tae called out loudly above the sound of the wind whipping in the open window, the grinning boy turning his head to wink at Namjoon.

 

“All good. I think we’ll make good time today,” Namjoon grinned, hearing Yoongi snort at his statement from the front passenger seat.

 

“You heard the Wind Whisperer, Pretty Boy. Speed it up a little.”

 

“You know what, Yoongi, the air is telling me that I should kick you out onto the road.”

 

“Ouch.”


“So…do you guys all like, see the future or something?” Hoseok asked.

 

“No. That’s all on Yoongs,” Jin said, shushing the others who had begun to giggle at Hoseok’s question.

 

“Oh. So you guys all do separate…acts?”

 

“Sometimes. Sometimes we only do one or two shows, depending on the…audience,” Jimin said lightly, leaning on the side door as he threw his legs over Tae’s lap.

 

“What…do you do?” Namjoon eventually asked, the silence after that explanation feeling a bit awkward.

 

“Maybe we’ll show you sometime. It’s not worth explaining. I think you know the answer for some of us, anyway,” Jimin replied, throwing him a quick wink and a sly grin before reaching into their cooler to grab a drink.

 

“Alright, no one get comfy—we’re stopping here for gas before we get to the end of the town. You all better get whatever food you want while we’re here because once we hit the highway there’ll be nothing but dirt for miles,” Jin announced as they pulled into a shabby, run down gas station with the lettering on the sign half-unpainted.

 

The inside wasn’t much better, and everything was ridiculously overpriced—such was to be expected with the only gas station at the end of the small town.

 

“Hey, did you guys get any chips?”

 

“No, but I got Cheese Whiz.”

 

“Well, did you get a drink?”

 

“Nah, let’s get out of here.”

 

Jin honked the horn as the rest of the group exited the store, huffing about how ty it was and laughing at the cheapest, random assortment of food items they could afford.


“Here, I’ll play the chords and you play it there,” Jin mumbled, setting his guitar across his knee so that Kookie could handle it with one of his hands as well.

 

Namjoon watched them, amused, as Jin strummed along with one hand and Kookie followed along with his own hand seamlessly.

 

“If I ever lost my hand….we could still write songs this way…so that’s good to know, wouldn’t ya say~” Jin crooned smiling at how Kookie giggled at his makeshift lyrics.

 

“How do you guys even do that?” Hoseok laughed.

 

“Kookie can do anything,” Tae said, almost teasingly, leaning up against Hoseok and cuddling into the other boy’s side.

 

“If I ever lost my hand…would you play the other hand? On the guitar…with me~” Jin continued, Jimin and Kookie now both humming along with his little tune, Namjoon giving in to the temptation to join in.

 

“That is the most annoying you guys have ever come up with,” Yoongi complained from the driver’s seat, groaning when his complaint caused Jin to play louder.

 

“Too bad you broke the stereo, huh? Now we’re all you’ve got for entertainment!”

 

“That was Tae, , not me!”

 

“Oh yeah, that was me. Sorry Jinnie!”

 

“Wow, I’ve been living a lie. You guys are the worst."


They had been on the road for about a week, stopping to sleep on the side of the roads and praying they would reach gas stations in time, eating whatever cheap food they could get their hands on and occasionally stopping to check out the little local gift stores they would come across, and playing music.

 

It was the best time of Namjoon’s life.

 

Sometimes he got to thinking, and he wonders about the life he left behind—what were his parents thinking right now? The letter he left had been short, but very straightforward. He needed a break—his soul needed a break, a recharge.

 

He had never felt so free and at home as he did on the road with this group of friends.

 

“The stars show up so much better out here than they do in town,” Hoseok said, sitting next to Namjoon on the roof of the van, Jin playing his guitar on the ground beneath them as Kookie and Jimin danced playfully to the music, Tae taking his pictures, Yoongi already fallen asleep on Namjoon’s other side.

 

“The air is clearer. The wind is stronger, too,” Namjoon agreed, shifting so that Hoseok could lay across him, his movement letting Yoongi’s head fall to rest in the crook of his neck and shoulder.

 

“How long do you think we’ll go on for?”

 

Namjoon thought about it, trying to imagine the future like days on a calendar. He hummed, eventually deciding, “it doesn’t matter. We’re already home.”

 

He felt Yoongi smile against the skin of his neck.


Author's notes:

So, that was a thing. And yes, I decided to post this after re-reading it this morning and laughing (after some editing, of course. My drunk grammar is horrendous).

A little further explanation since drunk me didn't go into much detail: all of them have some sort of "special ability" that either caused them to be outcast in some way, or they just felt too stifled in the "real world".

Jimin- can read minds, which is probably the most obvious. Likes to sing.
Yoongi- does Tarot card readings, and does have some psychic ability. Often has prophetic dreams, and dreamt that Namjoon and Hoseok would join them.
Jin- has sort of a veela/mermaid thing going on? He can turn up the charm and make anyone in the room attracted to him, regardless of gender or uality. Also plays guitar and sings.
Tae- can sense when other people have "gifts" and can see people's auras. Can sing as well. Has a thing for photography, because photos make him "feel different energy".
Hoseok- is a bit of an empath, and often can get overwhelmed by other's emotions. If he worked at it, he could learn to be able to sort of "push out" emotions onto other people- for example, calming down a room of angry people, or getting a whole crowd excited.
Kookie- sort of a super strength thing that he'd do for acts, but also has the ability to master any talent or skill another person has, as long as he knew that person had the skill and is with that person. For example, being able to play the guitar at Jin's level because he knows Jin can play.
Namjoon- has sort of a Last Airbender thing happening that I sort of started with, then lost it, then got it again, then derailed near the end as I got tired. Basically, he's super in tune to the elements and if he worked on it, he could learn to control them.

And that's that. I may make this kind of a one-shot series, and add in shorter one shots going exploring this AU more if I ever feel like it. I hope this nonsense was at least enjoyable to read. <3