Chapter 1

I.L.Y
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Hong Yuna had always been a spitfire. She was unpredictable, unmoveable, unbreakable. Truly, the definition of fearless. That was mostly due to the fact that she was actually one of the four Mares of Diomedes, the man-eating horses present in the Heracles myth. She and her three sisters are known to be vicious creatures and always manage to get what they want, whether that employs the use of force or not, leading her to be well known and well feared. She was a firework and unafraid to challenge anyone. They usually backed down anyway. Which was good because if intimidation didn’t work, she may have to resort to other things which Yuna didn’t like. But luckily everyone always backs down from her gaze. Well, most of the time. She never had any competition until she came to high school, a place made for mythological beings like her. Two of her sisters had already graduated and her other was a senior there. She was now a sophomore and had spent the entirety of freshman year experiencing something she never thought she would.

Rivalry.

When I say “most of the time”, I mean it. There’s one exception to Yuna’s lack of competition: the equally as ferocious Park Dojoon, a Capaill Uisce from Manx folklore, These were horrific monsters, larger than normal horses, that were known to drag people into the sea and drown them. He challenged her every demand and refused to back down from her threats. Truly, an annoyance to Yuna. He was really in hot and when she first met him, she thought maybe he could be fun. But boy did she learn how wrong he was the second he opened his mouth to speak to her.

“Hey, name’s Yuna. You’re new right? I don’t think I’ve seen you before. How ‘bout we be friends?” Yuna smiled at the boy, extending her hand. Yuna thought that since he looked rather intimidating himself, maybe he was actually something strong?

He looked at her face, then her hand, then back to her face. Then he turned away to play games on his phone.

“Park Dojoon,” he mumbled, not even bothering to look at her while doing so. She was shocked, no one had ever been so rude to her before. Not even strangers, everyone knew who she was!

“Uhm, I’m sorry but I think you’re confused. Do you know what I am?” Yuna asked the boy, thinking he must clearly not if he was ignoring her so blatantly. Maybe this couldn mean...

“Mare of Diomedes, man eating horse. I know what you are, I just don’t care.” He exclaimed in frustration at losing a fight in his game. Yuna was literally frozen.

“EXCUSE ME?” She demanded, pissed off at his attitude. She thought that maybe since he knew and wasn’t afraid, he really would make a good companion but really?? REALLY??

“Look princess, I don’t have time for this, I’m really busy. Now if you could leave me alone, I have a battle to win.” He continued playing games on his phone, completely ignoring her now. Yuna just let her jaw hang. Everyone in the class was watching them at this point, wondering how the terrifying beast would react to such an obvious lack of interest. Yuna closed and put on her classic y smirk.

Guess he’s just as worthless as the rest. Only he doesn’t seem to understand his place.

Yuna let out a smug “Fine” and returned to her seat, already devising multiple ways to make his life a living hell.

She detested him ever since because he showed that she could be challenged. That she wasn’t the ultra badass everyone saw her as. And it pissed. her. off. Why would she want all these mousy equines to think they were on the same level? They don’t know how to do anything but judge her for who she was anyway. It didn’t bother her, she was content knowing that they understood that she could eat them alive if she wanted. She didn’t want to be friends with weaklings. They always get hurt…

But this boy has to come in and make her seem easy? Oh no that was definitely NOT ok. And what’s worse is that the whole rest of the Equine class was terrified of BOTH of them, meaning that they were always paired up for any sort of project! WTF. Not only did she have to deal with his stubborn orneriness but she also had to work with him to get a grade? The audacity... It’s not like she could afford having anything lower than an A, she had a reputation to maintain after all, but the thought of having to work with that Dojoon was sickening to her.

And yet, that was how she lived the last year of her life. What’s better, is the school didn’t magically change their system of classroom assignments between freshman and sophomore year. SO she was in his class again. Great.

 

Yuna came in on the first day, sitting in a random desk until the teacher came and desk assignments would be drawn. Naturally, she chose a seat in the back by the door, ready to leave as soon as class was over. She looked at her phone, not bothering to brush her long black hair out of her face. After all, everyone already knew who she was and she didn’t have any friends in the Equine class anyway. No one dared to talk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter