Victory and Defeat

Orphan Meets Orphan

Darkness, I was staring at the ceiling for a good 1 hour or so hoping that I’ll fall asleep. Who would’ve known my thoughts can keep me up at night. I don’t do thinking, it’s not my thing but here I am staring blankly into the dark limits above.

Silence, yes it was deafening and now consuming. All I can hear was “burry your secrets” lying here in my bed. How ironic it is that no sound waves could be heard in the room but your ears are ringing because of voices inside your head. Am I going crazy?

 

“Haebin dear can you come out?” I heard my mom saying outside my door.

 

What a relief I can hear actual sounds, I’m doing fine I guess. By the way It’s not that I don’t want to talk to her but I really wanted to be alone right now.

 

“Haebin there are important people who want to talk to you”

 

I sighed but kept silent for a moment, deciding eventually to answer

 

“Ok, wait for me in the living room” I said wondering who could they be and why at this hour? Couldn’t they respect me and my family? It’s 1am already, they must be really special huh?

 

I heard my mom said OK but it doesn’t matter right now.

 

I just proceeded to fix my hair and clothes facing my dimly lit mirror. I look like trash.

I smiled but only half-heartedly. I knew this was gonna fade fast.

 

I closed my eyes.

 

Tears began to fall down my face.

 

 

Pressure. I felt like everything and everyone was relying on me. I admit I love the attention and respect they give me but sometimes it gives you the butterflies in your stomach that’s been tossed and turned with a broken wing so definitely it’s not in a good way. I was the captain, the leader, the boss. I gave the orders, but as of the moment I couldn’t trust myself to give my 100%.

 

Hunger. My stomach has been growling since the afternoon and I can feel my intestines already shrinking from starvation. I remember eating only 1 piece of bread during breakfast and nothing more.

 

I checked my clock and it was almost 10pm. That’s why I can’t really think that much, I need my juice to spark my plugs and ignite! Time to speed things up and call it a day then.

 

“Mimi have you completed your 6th item already? We can try to force a clash here in the river while the rest of the cats push top.” My teammate Hyeyeon asked me.

 

“Nice plan Morgana!” I used her favourite character’s name to address her. I’m glad she already suggested that.

 

Hyeyeon is my bestfriend, confidant, wingman and now the substitute leader as she takes over because of my hungry situation.

 

“Ready?” I asked

 

“Ready!” The cats screamed at their mics enthusiastically as we start the execution of Hyeyeon’s plan.

 

The cats are what I call my teammates, we have named ourselves as HellCats because we are flexible in character selection and laning styles and if you go against us, it surely will be no less than hell for you.

 

For those who don’t know yet, I am Jung Mimi, a full time gamer, single and negotiable, ready to kick your in League of Legends who gets by on her own through winning bets and believes in the saying No game no life.

 

Gaming has been my hobby, passion and obviously my source of income. I’ve been living like this as long as I remember. Life in the streets is tough when you’re not good at anything, luckily for me I got this.

 

Hyeyeon and I are the best in this turf, everyone can vouch. But despite of our talents we fail to be a part of a pro gaming team because they instantly label us troublemakers who engage in drugs and had dirty walks of life. So much for having luck right?

 

“Mimi please dodge their skills a little will you? We can’t afford to lose you early in the clash or we’re smooched! And it looks like we are” Hyeyeon said as she anxiously looking back and forth at my screen and hers.

 

“Don’t worry Morgana, mid Mimi is not gonna bring the team down though she’s hungry” I smirked confidently as I was taking all the damage from the opponents, halving my health bar in just a blink.

 

The confidence was not because we were winning the clash because yeah we’re losing it. It was because I already saw the cats working their way into their nexus. Easy ggwp folks.

 

“UR NEXUS BRUH” I typed hastily on the ALL chat where my opponents can see it. My character was already dead but who cares, their nexus was t and wreckt and cue, VICTORY!

 

I can hear their angry screams and curses at each other from their cluelessness. They were so greedy for the kill that they forgot their open base. They were just a few units away from us in the same gaming shop which makes this victory more glorious. I can only laugh in my head (hahahaha)

 

“BAITED ES!” Hyeyeon shouted as the team high-fived cheering for the satisfying win. I can only admire this team, so badass with a mouse and keyboard but so playful if given just themselves.

 

“Pay up” I talked facing Sojin, the leader of the other team

 

She walked closer, looked at me from head to toe and chuckled.

 

“So you’re the leader? How come you haven’t said anything while we were in game?”

 

Why are you talking to me loser? I reserve my breath for tougher opponents and besides I knew my team would win even without my supervision. You are too weak.” I can hear the cats holding their laughter at my statement.

 

She leaned near my face, handing the envelope and whispered: “I like you. I’ll give you this money plus anything you want to do tonight, I’ll be at the bar cocky leader Mimi.”

 

She patted my cheeks lightly and walked away. Hyeyeon arched her eyebrows in question of Sojin’s actions. I could only shrug and wave the big fat envelope that’s in my hands.

 

“This was the easiest handover for us this month ain’t it fellas?” Looking at what’s inside and checking the accuracy of the sum, I gave the cats what is due them and said our goodbyes.

 

I was of course counting my money repeatedly down to the last cent, because that’s me, money girl Mimi.

 

“Stop spazzing over your money. They might evaporate after a few more counts”

 

She’s teasing me again. Aish this kid.

 

“Why does it concern you, I’m only making sure. And I love everything about it” I said honestly

 

“Yes yes I perfectly remember your defense, you say it everytime. You love the sound, texture and smell of it because it’s like freedom, so lame Mimi”

 

“ you!” I could only throw false middlefingers her way

 

“You drinking later?” she asked

 

“I’m not sure. Go home for now kid we’ll celebrate tomorrow” We fist-bumped and I sent her off.

 

God! I needed to grab a meal now or else I would collapse any moment. I decided to go to the bar which was a few blocks away and eat there. Maybe I can also to meet with Sojin there later, I thought.

 

 

I wiped my tears and hit my chest

 

“Stay strong Haebin! This is not the time to cry” I pulled myself together and moved towards the door

 

I walked straight to the living room to meet the people who wanted to see me.

 

What do I do? It’s.. they… Them.

 

It’s them!