*Prologue*

Agó̱nasius

“Curse Olympus,” Aphrodite yelled in spite. She was so angry with Zeus for damning her human lover. “What did she do?”

“She showed abhorrence towards me, and thus she was punished,” Zeus said as a bolt of thunder roared behind him. Aphrodite scoffed at the dramatic effect.

“Even so, must you condemn her as a flower all her life?” Aphrodite bared her teeth. “Now I see why she detested you, you’re too righteous and narcissistic, thinking that you can do anything because you rule over us.”

“Watch your speech,” Zeus warned.

“Or what? You’ll send me to the same fate as her?” Aphrodite spat. It was quite crude for such a radiant woman as her to be putting on such an expression.

Zeus glared at her in warning.

“You stole her first lover because of your own selfish desires, and you expect her to fathom your command?” Aphrodite said.

“You should understand that my actions were sensible, as you fell in love with a mortal as I.” Zeus defended, his nose wrinkling in slight rage.

“Is stealing one’s love the same as falling in love with a weeping soul?” Aphrodite snarled.

“You fell in love with her as you consoled her, yet I can’t fall in love with the woman whom I’ve been seeking for?” Zeus said.

“You are merely throwing fallacies at me, how does stealing a lover correlate at all with simply falling in love? I curse you, Zeus.” Aphrodite said. “As the Goddess of love, I merely cannot stay put.”

“As the ruler of Olympus, I simply cannot let these offensive comments pass. You have shown spite for the gods and Olympus. I must punish you.” Zeus called upon his lightning bolt.

“You’re really going to fight a damsel such as I?” Aphrodite said. “Must you be so immature? I don’t even have any weapons.”

“You shouldn’t have foolishly challenged me,” Zeus said. “That is your mistake.”

Zeus came from behind and struck Aphrodite with a powerful lightning blast.

“Foolish Goddess, let go of your arrogance as you are no match for me,” Zeus said in triumph. “Stay down, and grovel. If I am satisfied, I will forgive you and forget this whole dispute.”

Άι γαμήσου. Aphrodite spat on Zeus’s feet.

Zeus’s face turned red with rage and he pointed his lightning bolt at Aphrodite. “That is the last mistake you will ever make towards me. May you never step foot on Olympus. I sentence you as a mortal. You shall wither away with the humans whom you love more than the spot that is now left open in Olympus. May you learn your lesson. Only if you grovel enough to match my satisfaction may you return with shame, but don’t anticipate that day as you have tarnished me. Aphrodite of Olympus, I curse you.”

Immediately, Aphrodite felt her body drain of her godly powers. She started to shrink in size and soon she had to close her eyes, as Olympus was too bright to look upon. Soon she was falling through the air, and Olympus slowly faded from her sight.

Aphrodite stuck her two middle fingers up, and cursed at Zeus.

Aphrodite struck the ground quite lightly; guess Zeus wasn’t going to kill her. Even with his huge ego, if he were to kill her over a small dispute, it would mess up his image. He’s probably thinking of an exaggerated reason on why Aphrodite was being punished

The ground below her was quite soft. She sat up and looked around and her heart felt a twang of grief. The flowers that surrounded her were carnations—the flower that her partner was turned into. She plucked one up and placed a light kiss on it.

“I’m sorry,” She said. “I was reckless, like always. But would it kill him to control his temper and recheck his morals!”

“Hey, are you ok?” A voice called. Aphrodite turned her head and she met eyes with a girl. “It looked like you fell from that tree.”

Aphrodite got up and brushed the dirt from off her behind as much as she could. “Yeah, I was just playing around,”

“You sure? You have a cut on your arm, you’re bleeding.” The girl’s voice wavered with concern.

“Yes, I’m fine,” Aphrodite brushed the girl off. She looked into the girl’s eyes and saw that they were an earthly green—quite beautiful.

“No, come with me, I’m going to patch that up.” The girl walked up to Aphrodite and grabbed her hand. “I’m not taking no for an answer, you’re coming with me,”

Aphrodite groaned but complied; there was no fighting a mere mortal. Aphrodite stopped her thoughts; she can no longer say that, as now she was a mortal.

“Tell me girl, your house is quite a walk from the field in which you found me from, why were you there?” Aphrodite asked as she followed the girl into the house.

The girl quickly gathered supplied to clean the wound. She set Aphrodite down on a chair before responding.

“Coincidence, plus I like that field of flowers. It feels alive.” The girl said as she wiped the cut with a wet cloth.

“Your eyes, they are a bright rose,” The girl commented.

“Really?” Aphrodite raised an eyebrow. She hadn’t checked the mirror, as she didn’t have the time to so hearing about her appearance was quite a shock.

“Yes, I think it looks quite beautiful, your eyes,” The girl said.

“That makes the two of us,” Aphrodite said. “Are your eyes naturally green? The gods must’ve blessed you with such vibrant eyes.”

“You flatter me. Yes, I was born with these eyes.” The girl said. “Were you born with those eyes? To ask such a question to me adds the connotation that those eyes aren’t natural.”

“Of course I was born with these eyes,” Aphrodite said. Usually, they’d change color regularly, but now that she was a mere mortal, she guessed that this rose color was the default. “For some reason, the gods wanted to make my eyes stick out. Stupid Zeus,”

“Must you curse the gods? Your natural color eyes seem like a blessing. Such a unique shade—it’s as if you were made special.”

“If anything I think I was condemned with such freakish eyes.” Aphrodite replied.

“Don’t say such things,”

The girl continued to work. “Fair lady, might I ask of your name?”

“Vivi,” The name just slipped out.

I guess that’s my name now.

“Such a strange name,” The girl said. “Is that really your name?”

Vivi flinched at the unusual suspicion behind the question. “Of course. What is your name?”

“My name is Haseul, but I must say that really isn’t my actual name.”

“What do you me-“ Vivi suddenly felt sick. She leaned forward as if she were going to throw up.

“You see my true name is Gaia.” Haseul said. “Oh, and don’t try to fight the nausea, I drugged the water while cleaning off the blood.”

“Cheeky bi-“ Vivi started.

“I didn’t expect this to be so easy, but you are just a mere mortal, so it’s to be expected,” Haseul said.

Άι στο διάο-“ Vivi couldn’t finish her curse as she started losing consciousness.

“Who knew that you’d get kick out of Olympus?” Haseul let out a soft laugh. “You see, I hear everything, and I heard you cursing out Zeus. Quite brave.”

Vivi muttered another curse before falling unconscious.

“Who knew you had such a dirty mouth.” Haseul let out a chuckle.

 

***

 

“Welcome, Goddesses, to Agó̱nasius!” Vivi heard Haseul announce. Vivi slowly opened her eyes. “You see here, this mortal is Aphrodite. She was banished from Olympus, never to set foot on Olympus ever again.”

Vivi got up, she tried to open to cuss Haseul out, but Vivi was gagged so her efforts were in vain.

“This game here is a competition to see who will take Aphrodite’s spot in the twelve Olympians.” Haseul continued.

Vivi looked around. She saw ten different animals with strangely colored eyes.

“Seems interesting.” A bright pink-eyed rabbit said.

“How do we know this isn’t just some sort of set up?” The red eyes of the owl glistened as it asked.

“Don’t you see Aphrodite locked up, isn’t that enough proof that she was banished?” Haseul said.

“I’m still quite skeptical,” A fish said. Looking closely at it, Vivi could see that one eye was a bright sea blue while the other was a dark black. “How do we know that that girl is really Aphrodite?”

“I don’t blame any of you for being suspicious, but I say, Aphrodite has been banished and turned into a mortal. Haven’t you heard the rumors about there being an open spot in Olympus?” Haseul said.

“I have heard!” An orange-eyed frog said. “But why choose us?”

“You ten goddesses have been chosen by Zeus himself to compete for the seat in Olympus.” Haseul said.

“He did?” Vivi thought. “So he really has moved on from me? Is there really no spot for me in Olympus anymore?”

A maroon-eyed swan laughed. “My, am I honored.” Its sarcastic tone was quite ironic as swans are supposed to be grace-like.

“Now when do we proceed to slaughter each other?” A wolf said. Its eyes were deathly black. The wolf began growling. “Shut up, do you really want to get in trouble with the Gods again?”

“You shut up!” The black-eyed canine seemed to be talking to herself. “This is our chance to redeem ourselves.”

“Now, now, calm down,” A butterfly said. Its eyes were too small to look at, so to Vivi’s disappointment, she couldn’t see what glorious color was given to that goddess. “We don’t even know what this competition is about.”

“Precisely,” A purple-eyed fruitbat said. “Now, proceed with whatever you were saying.”

“Thank you,” Haseul said. “Now this game has no time limit, as Zeus isn’t in a hurry. If anything he delights in a good game.”

“Of course,” A bright yellow-eyed cat said. “He loves a good show…”

“Why can’t he just take his time and pick one when he thinks of someone?” A coral-eyed penguin asked.

“Because he doesn’t want to just pick a Goddess based on bias. Through this game, we can see who is most fit. Also, I’m betting that many of you, if not all, have some motives that are keeping you here.” Haseul said. “Continuing what I started to say before. This game is quite simple. You must find out each others’ identity.”

“Identity?” The frog repeated.

“Yes, through this game, you must find out each others’ true name through any means possible,” Haseul said. “The goal is to ultimately eliminate the contestants until there is one left. And one way to eliminate is to figure out each other’s true name. The last one standing shall take her place on Olympus.”

“This game can take years, decades!” the rabbit said. “Is Zeus really willing to wait that long?”

“Time is nothing to a God. As long as it is done properly, he shouldn’t mind.” Haseul said.

Vivi sensed something fishy going on. She slammed her forehead against the metal bars. She wanted to yell. She wanted to get out. Part of her regretted going up to Zeus, but her pride kept that inside.

“My, my, Aphrodite is getting anxious.” Haseul said. “Or should I say Vivi. You no longer deserve such a godly title.”

The swan laughed. “Look at her, reduced to such a state.”

The swan approached Vivi’s cage. “How does it feel to see your status being fought over, and you can’t do anything about it.”

“Leave her alone,” The penguin said. “Even in her state, she doesn’t need to be patronized by the likes of you.”

“What are you going to do about it?” Seeing a swan size up to a penguin was slightly comical, but frightening at the same time.

“Why, I’ll just have to find you first and eliminate you, as you are not fit to be of such high status,” The penguin said.

The swan brought her face closer to the penguin’s. “Yeah? Get off my . I’ll be looking for you first.” The swan spat in front of the penguin’s feet.

The penguin clicked her tongue in disgust.

“Isn’t it a little too hard?” the fruit bat said to shift the attention back to Haseul. “Are there going to be hints for who we all are?”

“You’re going to have to find out.” Haseul said. “Now, there are no rules except you cannot hurt the mortals. We don’t want to get them wrapped up into the games of the gods.”

“Dammit, so we can’t just go and randomly attack people?” The wolf asked.

“Nope, we don’t want Zeus to get angry.” Haseul said.

The wolf clicked her tongue.

“Now, let the games begin. I don’t want to be the reason why the games are stalled. Let the best goddess win.” Haseul said. And with the snap of her fingers everyone disappeared.

Shortly after they disappeared, ten mirrors appeared in front of Vivi. Each mirror showed what each girl was doing. All of them seemed to be spread throughout the whole globe. Right away, half of them started searching.

“Aren’t you excited to see how everything ends?” Haseul asked.

“No, this stupid game of yours might as well never end.” Vivi said. “Even if they do find each other, it would be almost impossible to trying to figure out everyone’s true name.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure. Like I said there, were no rules. If anything I only gave one way to eliminate each other. They seemed to ignore that little detail. So let’s see how long this game will actually last.” Haseul laughed.

Κοίτα ένα μαλάκα,” Vivi said.

Haseul turned and sat on a throne covered in Earth. “This is going to be fun.”

 


A/N

The first chapter out! It kinda ... but I swear it might get better? 

Anyways! Hope you guys enjoy and I'll try my best to update!

 

Translations:

Άι γαμήσου – go f yourself

Άι στο διάολο – go to hell

Κοίτα ένα μαλάκα – you’re an