Chapter 1

Why Yongsun Wears Her Ring Like That

A shiver ran through Moonbyul’s back as her trench coat briefly allowed entrance for the harsh winter breeze, exposing the maknae’s wardrobe that the main rapper had to wear for the day’s filming of Famous Byul’s Café. The fabric continued to flutter so the rather shy girl pulled it closer to her body as she entered the shop.

She got fascinated and quite distracted, she would admit, by the variety of ring bands laid out in front of her.

“Wow,” she breathed.

“Byul,” a staff called out, startling the tranced girl.

“Ah, sorry,” she said as she tried to pick the one that she thinks would suit Yongsun.

Wait.

Did she say Yongsun?

Moonbyul shook her head. She went there to get Hyejin a friendship ring for helping her with her clothes. She only thought about the older girl because she felt guilty for not preparing anything to give to her and Wheein. Yup, that's totally why.

“Is everything okay?” the same staff asked.

Moonbyul nodded. “Yeah. Uh, I’ll make a ring with this band and maybe engrave Maria in it because it’s her baptismal name. She will like that,” she finished with a smile at the camera.

Maria. Moon. She scribbled on the paper to finalise what she wanted the engravings to be. She bit her lip and contemplated for a millisecond before handing it back to the shop’s team member.

Moonbyul started making the rings when she finally blurted her thoughts out loud and said, “Should I make 4 so they could be our friendship rings?”

She felt proud of herself as she wrote the other members’ name next to hers on the paper she had earlier.

“You wrote Yong’s in Korean?”

“Ah, she really likes Korean.”

-

Moonbyul’s heart was pounding as she was giving the rings out even though the fans have pretty much given it away during one of Wheein’s vlive. Nevertheless, she was happy that the members genuinely liked the gifts and even scored a hug from WheeSa when the camera wasn’t in their faces. What bothered her a little was that the leader of the group hasn’t said much after they recorded the gift-giving part for Byul’s Café.

“Hey,” the younger girl timidly said as she approached Yongsun who was playing with the piano on her phone; probably attempting to compose another song for their 3 other comebacks this year. They were left alone in a corner while everyone was busy trying to get the maknae line ready.

Yongsun looked up, “Hm?”

“Did I do something wrong?”

“No.”

“You haven’t been talking much.”

“What do you mean? I’m talking now.”

“You’re not wearing it.”

“It doesn’t fit.”

Moonbyul pinched her lips together and sighed.

“It’s adjustable,” she said with a strained voice laced with the slightest hint of frustration.

“It’s not the right one.”

Moonbyul couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She put so much effort in making those rings.

“What???”

Yongsun shrugged, “It’s not the right one.”

“It is.”

“It’s not.”

“But you are,” the orange-haired girl said through gritted teeth.

Yongsun finally looked up from her phone to give Byul a confused look.

Moonbyul’s shoulder collapsed as she looked down and kicked an invisible object with her foot. “Even if the ring wasn’t the right one, you were the right person to get it. I worked particularly harder on that ring so there isn’t any dent or unnecessary curves because you’re perfect and you only deserve the same. I picked your name to be in Korean because I know how much you love it while we all have ours in English. It is special to me because it’s our group’s friendship ring. Even more special because I made it by my own hands. But most of all, because that ring that I gave you... is specially for you.”

Yongsun was stunned and silent for a few seconds and Moonbyul thought she made the whole situation worse and braced herself for the wrath of the mother of dragons look-alike.

The blonde girl pulled out the ring and handed it back to Moonbyul, who had both confusion and hurt painted across her face.

“I’m sorry,” Yongsun started, before extending her right hand to Moonbyul. “Put it on for me?”

Moonbyul finally let out a breath she didn’t realise she was holding and gladly accepted Yongsun’s request – except she took the older girl’s left hand instead.

They both smiled at the sight of the jewellery on Yongsun’s left ring finger.

“I’m sorry I was selfish. Part of my heart was swelling because you gave us friendship rings – something that would always remind all 4 of us of each other. But part of me was resentful, maybe because I wanted to be special,” Yongsun scoffed at herself after hearing how petty she just sounded.

“But, you are special.”

“I realised that when you said you had my name specifically engraved in Korean but... moreso when you reached for my left hand and the ring sat perfectly on my ring finger – the only finger I didn’t try it on.”

“…ahh, YeBa!!!

-

A/N: Sorry, this was just something that literally came in to my mind just then so it's really not the best work out there, but hey I tried! Mamamoo, fighting!