Chapter 1

Step by step

I woke up greeted by the usual alarm on my phone, the sound of BTS' V singing the first verse of "hug me" always gets me up without protest. Another day, another opportunity. A saying which I've repeated to myself for countless years, but still keeps me going. 7:03am. Time to get up and out of bed. As I slowly get myself to my senses I lean by my small kitchen counter to eat an apple and a bun I bought the other day for my breakfast. Looking around at my room which hasn't changed much since the day I moved in three years ago, or was it four? A small one room apartment for me, myself and I. The kitchen, which was actually just an electric stove top, a sink and a counter; were all in the same room as my closet, bed and desk. The bathroom was the only room stood off by itself. "This is all just temporary" I tell myself. I had my reasons for choosing to live in a small apartment by myself, it was easy to furnish and most of all it was cheap. I didn't move to Seoul and spend my parent's money for nothing. Enough daydreaming, time to go. I got ready to go out for work, in a pair of jeans and a button down shirt. 

The morning commute was boring as any other day. I arrived at my workplace in no time and got in through the back door. A trendy little cafe in Itaewon, although it was a relatively quieter part of the neighbourhood the cafe still made good business by knocking down prices a little compared to the other cafes in the area. God knows why a simple barista like me had to get to work so early when the cafe opened at 10:30. I did say the cafe made good business but that's because there's only two employees working in there each day including me... Thus I had to go in early each day to help out with the prep in the kitchen before we opened up. The other employee, Young Jae worked in the kitchen mostly but we swap jobs around often as we juggled different roles between us everyday. He came in shortly after me and greeted me warmly as he always does "Good morning Haneul, let's make today another good one!", I replied with similar formalities and began getting to work, preparing whatever I could for dessert items while Young Jae handled the prep for savory items. I finished up quickly and went to set up the front of house and wrote out our daily brunch menu on a blackboard.

The day went by blandly and without any problems, it was around late afternoon when two lively young girls who looked around the same age me walked in and ordered what they wanted like any other customer. One latte, one cappucino with a strawberry waffle and mixed fries basket with our house special dipping platter. Although our cafe didn't make any extravagant drinks or food they were all done to a high quality and I've often been told by customers that our food was very "instagram-able". The girls were amazed when I finally brought their food out to them and wouldn't stop taking pictures and praising the presentation of the food. I simply stood by the bar and smiled as they spoke to each other, the only other customer in the cafe at the time was an American man, from what I guessed anyways, reading the news on his laptop as he sipped on a espresso. Although I didn't mean to eavesdrop on the girls, it was quite hard not to as their voiced echoed throughout the small cafe. 

"Ah! This waffle looks just as good as the picture! I see what you mean by the food is amazing is here wow."

"You haven't even tasted the food yet, but I agree the presentation is really good."

"Let me send this to my elder brother he'd definitely enjoy the vibe of this place. Maybe he can head over today, he's off work."

"Yes more people should know about this place! It's so quiet I wish they'd have more business here but I also like it because it's quiet haha."

Although their conversation barely stuck out as something which I felt was important at the time, I was glad to hear that customers were happy with coming to our cafe and without any further interaction between me and the girls, they paid and left. Evening came and the flow of people coming and going eventually lessened as closing time approached. Around half an hour before closing time, I was clearing the tables when another customer walked in. It was a bit shocking to see someone walk in at 10pm with a cap, mask and sunglasses and big jacket on. I was working in Seoul after all, chances are they're a celebrity of sorts, who else would go around in that kind of get up in the middle of the night? I cleared my throat and asked them what they would like. Back came a low, hushed voice that was somewhat soothing to hear at the end of a long day.

"Can I get a all day breakfast waffle and... What's the strongest coffee you have here?" 

"That would be the doppio, with a double shot of expresso."

"Right then can I ha-"

"Sir, I'm sorry to be rude but it is quite late at night and this coffee is likely to keep you up very late, would you consider ordering something else?"

I asked that without really thinking about who I was speaking to, in fact I'm not really sure to be honest but whoever they were, drinking strong coffee and eating breakfast food late at night was definitely not a sign of a healthy sleeping schedule. I'm sure I crossed the line with that remark and I could only pray that my boss wouldn't find out if something bad were to happen due to my mouth firing off without me thinking. I couldn't really tell what the man was feeling from me saying that thanks to his disguise. As I braced myself for him to berate me for not just doing my job and taking orders from the person whose paying them I heard something unexpected instead.

"I... I'm at a loss for words, I've never had someone at a restaurant tell me that..."

"S-Sir I'm sorry it wasn't my jo-"

"No, no, no I meant, to have someone just care that little bit about me and look out for my health like that."

I was shocked to hear a kind comment about my thoughtfulness instead of being faced with anger and outrage. I just stood there, shocked, like a deer in headlights. Or someone who simply isn't fully comprehending what is going on in front of them right now. I was snapped back into reality as he began speaking again. 

"You probably figured out who I am right?"

"What?"

"Goddamnit I just ruined it for myself." He mumbled underneath his breath.

"Sorry?"

"Ah, please forget it I di-"

Then as if my brain finally switched back on the moment of realization hit me. My eyes widened and I felt my heart beat faster as I spoke to the man again.

"Y-you're RM of BTS right...?"

"Argh." He said as he buried his face in his palms. 

As much as I tried composing myself in front of the now not so estranged customer I couldn't help but grin widely as I said,

"I suggest a decaf cappucino if you want coffee at this hour." 

He looked back up at me as if I was out of my mind, to not ask him for a photograph or autograph straight away. Of course every fiber and being of me wanted to but I had to hold back. The man was here in his free time, tired and over-worked, how could I possibly try to force him into doing exactly what his job asks of him on his precious day offs? He then nodded afterwards and took off his disguise in frustration the moment I turned around to ring up his order to Young Jae. "Young Jae! All day breakfast waffle! It's for a celebrity customer!" "Wha-? Who??" "RM of BTS!" Young Jae's eyes widened as soon as he heard that and we both went off to work. 

"One decaf cappucino and all day breakfast waffle, please enjoy." I said I set down the food in front of the sleepy artist. 

"Thank you, wow the food really does look as good as the picture which Kyungmin sent me."

"Ah I see-" I replied awkwardly, unsure of how to speak to him but he continued.

"She came here today and sent me a photo of her meal here and I just really wanted to try it out for myself while I had the chance to since I don't get day offs often."

As if he spoke to no one he then took out his phone and snapped photos of his food before eating. I nodded sheepishly and sat behind the bar hoping to not interfere with him eating. I'm sure he came here for a spot of peace anyways. After what seemed like an eternity waiting he finally finished his food and asked for his cheque, whilst he was paying he spoke once again.

"The food here was delicious I'm glad I came here today, thank you very much." 

"No, it was a pleasure to be able to serve you today. Please come again." 

"I definitely will, thank you."

I replied with a smile but he didn't leave, instead he asked me a question.

"Aren't you going to like... ask for a photo or something...?"

"Oh no of course no-"

"Haneul! It's time to go home can we pack up yet?"

I turn around and see Young Jae's head sticking out of the kitchen. I was having a moment here my dear colleague. I gritted my teeth and gave him an uncomfortable grimace instead and nodded saying that I'll close shop today. I then turned back to face RM.

"Sorry where was I-"

"No, sorry it was my fault for speaking too much in the first place, I'll be taking my leave as well now, thank you."

"I- Um, right, please take care."

The corners of his lips tugged upwards just a little from that comment and he headed out of the cafe. 

It wasn't until I was going over the day's event's in my head especially with an international celebrity, much more one which I liked to listen to, who would come visit the cafe. As I began recalling his face and features which I'm so familiar with from seeing on TV and my phone, it only then struck me that I met RM and was having a casual conversation with him for quite some time.

What a day.