The Short End of the Stick

What To Do Now?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jin barely tasted the kalbi all throughout dinner. He took another large swig of his beer, aware of the furtive glances his dongsaengs were giving him. 

He wasn’t the type to drink—he didn’t care for the taste of alcohol and everyone knew that. But tonight he needed to distract himself, and he was curious to see if an uninhibited brain will help him ease up. 

Chin, wedged in between him and Jimin, was staring at him, concern etched on her pale face. He wasn’t sure if he liked it or not. “You’re drinking a lot tonight.” 

Jin didn’t even try to hide the frown that formed. That was the third time she directly spoke to him, and she didn’t use any honorifics—she didn’t even call him by name. 

He cast her an even look with heavy-lidded eyes and pointed at himself. “Oppa.” 

Hoseok raised an eyebrow. "Ya hyung. How many have you had?" he pointed at his beer with his chin in between chews. "We have a schedule tomorrow." 

The older member nodded, pushing the bottle away. "I know, I know," he muttered. He was tipsy, but no, he wasn't drunk, thank you very much. He gave his dongsaeng a reassuring smile. He turned to Chin. She's become too quiet for comfort. "Gwenchana?" he asked. 

She wasn't looking him in the eye. Jin wondered if he was being too rash. "Gwenchana," she replied shortly.  

Still no oppa. Not even a Jin-ssi. Or the usual hyung. 

"Chin-ah, you really going alone to the doc's tomorrow?" Yoongi asked from across the table, breaking the tension.  

Chin nodded. "Don't worry about it. It's just a routine check."  

Jin's eyes narrowed. He was really starting to hate it when she says that. "Have Myungwoo come with you," he interjected. 

She shook her head. "He'll be coming with you tomorrow for the photoshoot. Besides, I doubt if he'll be comfortable going to a pregnant woman's consultation." She shrugged nonchalantly, but it seemed a bit forced. "I'll be fine." 

Jimin turned to her, eyes wide. "Do you feel any different, noona?" 

"Ani, but I think I should expect some things soon," she blushed a faint pink, but it was still in stark contrast to her paper white face. "Don't wo--"  

"Aish, we worry, okay? Stop saying that, it's driving me crazy," Jin suddenly cut in, earning a stunned look from Chin and an awkward silence from everyone else. He can almost hear the questions from the members' minds. He sighed. He'll probably pay for that little outburst later. He was diving headfirst into unchartered territory and it seemed he was doing everything wrong. He'd had girlfriends before, but he didn't have much experience with women who-- 

--wait, what? Why is he even comparing them to Chin?  

"Noona!" Taehyung burst out, eyes switching between her and Jin like high-speed pingpong. "You want dessert? They have the best macha bingsu I had that last week." He gave her his best boxy smile, trying to discreetly elbow Jungkook who was gaping at the older people in front of him.  

Chin seemed to recover, giving V a small smile and shaking her head. "Um, I think I'm good for tonight, Taehyung-ah."   

Jin was the very scum of the earth. He grasped Chin's hand from under the table. "Mian," he sighed regretfully, softly.  

He felt her stiffen under his touch, but didn't pull away. "Gwenchana--" her voice was almost a whisper. "--oppa." 

He looked at her then, startled.  

She was still smiling, but her eyes weren't. "I don't like it when we don't get along."  

When did that lump get in his throat? Jin swallowed, squeezing her hand tighter. He'd forgotten how perfect she was. Always the first to take a higher road, always the first to forgive. He had to do good by her.  

"Kajja, it's late," Namjoon's even tone snapped him out of the moment. He turned to see the rapper already out of his seat, swinging his bag over his shoulder. His face was void of any expression.  

Jin wondered if anything was bothering that particular member. He'd have to talk to him tonight or tomorrow.  

 

--------- 

 

Namjoon unclenched his jaw and spun on his heel, heading for the van outside of the restaurant. He was pissed. Why?  

Why indeed? He didn't know, and not knowing pissed him off even more. He'd done nothing but observe the little k-drama unfolding in front of him the whole damn night. Jin-hyung was stepping all over boundaries and no one was doing or saying anything. The other members were just watching—they almost seemed fascinated.  

He huffed out a frustrated breath. He didn't do anything about it, either, so he wasn't exactly in any position to complain. Chin had always been one of the boys' favorite people—it wasn't a surprise that they're showing her extra affection and giving her more attention now that she was pregnant. He doubted any of them are hitting on her. 

Jin flashed through his highly unwilling mind. No, hyung had always been especially close to Chin. And he loved to mother and hover. He was just mothering and hovering. 

Kdrama-style?  

"Aish," he muttered, shifting his bag to the other shoulder. He could feel the weight of the books inside, irritating him even more. He hadn't had a chance to give them to Chin all night, what with all the spectacle that was Jin-hyung drinking and talking nonsense.  

Hoseok bumped past him on the way to the car. "Sorry," the rapper drawled, casually swinging the front passenger door open and plopping down next to the driver. "Dibs." 

"Aish, Hobi-hyung!" Namjoon groused. He just could not catch a break to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter