I.

You're Never Alone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When Joohyun was born, her parents were so happy to see her, but, they didn't know that she have a disability that time. As she grew up, her mother noticed that she wasn't talking, instead, she had her notebook filled with words that she wanted to say. She's mute. Although she's like that, she was thankful that her parents took care of her despite that she couldn't talk. They're always there whenever she needed them. 

She was home schooled for the rest of her primary school days. Went for private lessons the secondary school years. She had no friends, nor even acquaintances. Then, her mother suggested that she should go to a real university. She often shook her head whenever she was asked. It's just that, her mother convinced her really hard that she couldn't reject her.

Now, she was in the room of the university's dorm, with a roommate that was in first year college too (but she heard that her roommate was younger than her by a year in age). She always locked herself in her room, going out when she have classes and to eat without her roommate trailing behind her, looking like a lost puppy. Time fled so fast.

“Irene!”

She stopped eating, then closed her eyes to heave a deep sigh. “Hi, Irene! This is the second time I got to talk to you!” Her roommate, Seulgi, smiled.

She's thankful that her notebook was beside the plate. She popped the cap of her ballpen and wrote, ‘What do you want?’ That made Seulgi pout. She wasn't being rude, but she's really aloof in front of her own roommate.

“Oh, nothing. I really wanted to talk to you, you know. It's been a year since you got here but I don't often see you like you're a ghost.” Seulgi chuckled, remembering when Joohyun tried her best to avoid her. Joohyun wrote again, showing her, ‘Is that so?’ Of course, Seulgi would nod.

“Is it that really hard to be friends with you?” Seulgi exclaimed, her palms on either sides of her rosy cheeks. Joohyun nodded, ‘It's really hard.’ The latter's lips formed a 'O' shape, then it cracked into a wide grin.

Seulgi grasped Joohyun's hand with hers, “Then I'll try my best! You will never be alone, Irene. I want to be friends with you!” 

“We shall introduce ourselves to each other again, I'm Kang Seulgi.” She gave her a wave. Joohyun nodded, although she was hesitating, she wrote her name. ‘I'm Bae Joohyun, but you can call me Irene.’

“Cool!”

It was the start of their friendship. Seulgi's really trying her best to show that she's ready to be Joohyun's friend. As time passed by, Joohyun can think that she may befriend Seulgi, for real.

 

Joohyun closed the door after her, sighing. She had a long day to begin with. Many projects were supposed to be done and she's working on it for the past few nights making her lack in sleep. She left her shoes at the mat and tied her hair upwards with the hair tie on her wrist. Surprisingly, there was no Seulgi around. 

She made her way to the kitchen, opened the fridge and much to her dismay, there was no heat up food. She had no choice but to eat instant ramen. She grabbed one cup from the cabinet just a meter above the sink and poured down hot water from the thermos. She let it there for a while, walking through her room to fetch her laptop.

She then came back on the small kitchen and placed her laptop down the table. She sat, then began to type her homeworks to be printed out and be submitted tomorrow. The ramen was already done, so she stood up to grab it and once again, back on her work. It kind of tired her out but she still kept her eyes open, just for the sake of her grades.

Exactly nine in the evening, while Joohyun was still doing her essay, the door opened. Revealing Seulgi with a few bags on her hand. “Irene~” She sing sang, giving the other two paper bags. Joohyun looked at her, confused, then wrote at her notebook.

‘What is this?’ With matching confused emoji. Seulgi chuckled and convinced her to open it. Joohyun opened the pink paper bag, seeing a new notebook and pen. She looked happy. ‘Thanks for this, Seulgi.’ Those words were written at the notebook.

“Open the second one!” Seulgi cheered. Joohyun enthusiastically nodded and tore the tape to reveal something really nice, it was a new dress. She took it our from the bag. Joohyun wrote quickly, ‘Seriously, Seulgi? You really bought me this?’  Seulgi nodded, and smiled at her.

“You know how much I love you, right?” She giggled. Seulgi enveloped her in a hug, which she gladly hugged back. The only person aside from his parents made her smile, was Seulgi. She was glad that the younger tried her best to earn her trust. Without her, Joohyun would be alone in her college days.

‘Thank you very much, Seulgi. You're the best.’ That really made Seulgi smile widely, then poked her cheek, asking for a kiss. Irene complied and giggled when there's a little pink lipstick mark left on the other's cheek.

“Anything, for you.” Seulgi circled her arms around Joohyun's neck and deeply heaved a sigh. The atmosphere around them began to change. “You know, I'm really stupid.” Joohyun looked at her, bewildered, then asked, ‘Why?’ She was really confused when Seulgi was happy a while ago, then this?

“I'm just stupid. Plain stupid or what do you call.” 

‘Seulgi, tell me if you have a problem.’ Joohyun worriedly looked at her friend, patting her back and hummed. The latter covered her face with those hands. Joohyun can hear her sobs. 

‘Seulgi....’ She poked Seulgi with her finger, trying to make her look at the notebook. She gave up, though, because her friend didn't really look at him. “Got yah!” Seulgi laughed, there were no tears in her eyes. So, that was a joke. A good lame joke, to be honest. Please note the sarcasm.

‘ you, Seulgi.’ Joohyun matched the words with an angry emoji, drew by her. Seulgi chuckled, then pinched the other's cheeks, muttering some words that made Joohyun blush. Mostly, all of those were 'cute'.

--

It was a Saturday morning, Joohyun was still sleeping in her bed, snoring. Seulgi let her be, while cooking their breakfast at the kitchen. She'll gonna call the other later when she's done. She sung some songs while cooking, the egg on the pan was heated immediately, the white of it was done and the egg yolk was already okay. She lift it off the pan to place it on Joohyun's plate. She knew how the latter love eggs for breakfast.

She hummed, opening the radio on the table near their fridge. Soft melody was heard from it that Seulgi made slight dance movements in her place. She went back on the stove to co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter