fin

A Hitchhiker's Guide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

There’s a single thumb outstretched and raised up into the summer air, and the woman who is attached to said thumb heaves a sigh.

 

Seulgi looks up at the gleaming sun above her, squinting from the strong rays of light. She guesses that the time is about half past noon—give or take, judging by its position in the blue sky. She also guesses that she’s been standing in the same position on the side of the road for quite a while now, and berates herself for forgetting to charge her phone up last night.

 

Regardless, Seulgi stands tall and ignores the growl of her stomach. She pushes aside that’s starting to feel parched and raises her arm higher. And she’s again reminded that patience is key, when she spots a pick-up truck heading her way. She waves her thumb side to side, as a genuine smile spreads across her cheeks and the vehicle gets closer.

 

The blonde woman tries not to get discouraged, when the truck doesn’t slow down, and instead honks. Seulgi doesn’t let a frown appear until the jeering becomes faint in the distance, and she’s sure those s can’t see her features. She lets her tired arm drop and  kicks the dirt and pebbles at her feet.

 

Hitching rides was always unpredictable, similar to a game of chance or an unopened bag full of mysteries and wonders.

 

Before her journey began, the concept of driving off onto unknown roads with mere strangers was foreign and terrifying at the same time. To put so much trust into an unidentified person—Seulgi didn’t know if she had that much faith in the world. But the hankering feeling of curiosity had been hovering over her like a cloud, ever since she was young.

 

Exploring distant lands, scourging the vast seas she’s only heard about—it’s all she ever wanted in life.

 

She grew up in a suburban household, stuck in a bubble of cookie cutter homes and sceneries that couldn’t entertain even her most mundane fantasies. So when she scraped enough money together for a trip she’d been dreaming about, Seulgi realized that her spending had to be minimal if she desired to see more without ending up homeless.

 

She spent countless hours digging through websites and forums for the most cost-efficient choices, though those hours proved to be wasted when every option exceeded her savings account. But before she could entirely give up her plans of getting far away, Seulgi chanced upon a blog. 

 

The author was a backpacker and claimed to be doing it since he was seventeen, without a scratch on his body. It was through reading his vivid experiences that made her cancel all bookings and rentals, for Seulgi had decided to take a leap into the unknown, buying the cheapest airplane fares she could find to any new destination. 

 

Seulgi zones out for a moment, getting lost in thought as the sun beats down on her tanned skin.

 

She wonders if she should walk back to the dingy motel she stayed at last night, or trek onwards and hope someone picks her up. Another honk shakes her out of her decision-making, and she’s ready to throw a middle finger up at whoever dares to make her day worse. Seulgi stops herself however, when the car stops beside her and the windows roll down to reveal a kind old woman. She gestures for the blonde to get in, unlocking the door before asking any questions.

 

Seulgi beams brightly and hops in the passenger’s seat and thanks the older woman. The dirt encrusted hatchback smells like a mix between old people and a lemon scented air freshener that needs to be replaced, but Seulgi doesn’t mind one bit. It reminds her of her late grandfather’s old sedan, creaking with every shift of weight, but as reliable as his metal box of rusted tools.

 

Seulgi’s hit with a wave of nostalgia that brings serenity over her senses, choosing to close her eyes and relax her tensed muscles that are sore from standing. She’s been through enough rides to know that the older woman is no threat, simply a person with a pure heart and good intentions. The blonde has developed a knack for deciphering those with ill intent, judging drivers by the auras and vibes that they emit. Mainly though, Seulgi searches their eyes that dance with unfiltered truth and genuinity—be it good or bad.

 

One look is all that it takes for the woman to put her life into the hands of an unnamed stranger.

 

She drifts off to sleep and when she wakes, the sun is setting in that brilliant glow of orange that she loves. The country road looks so mesmerizing in this light, with gentle hues outlining the fields that sway in the breeze that she completely misses the doe eyes staring at her from the back seat. Seulgi brings her arms back in a stretch and twists her torso, hearing the satisfying cracks in her lower back that makes her let out a breath of content.

 

She also hears the old woman tsk at the noise—wait.

 

The sound definitely came from behind her.

 

Seulgi whips her head back and jumps at the sight of an unfamiliar face. The stranger raises a small hand in greeting, coupled with an unsure smile. In turn, Seulgi arches her brows and also lifts a hand in acknowledgment. The old woman doesn't say anything about their exchange, doesn't offer a single word since she picked them up. Seulgi does a little shake of her head and turns back towards the front, though her mind isn't on the sunset that gets darker by the minute.

 

After a few more minutes, the car pulls in front of a motel. Knowing this is her stop, Seulgi thanks the old woman for her kindness and bids farewell to the quiet elder. There's a trail of dust left as the old woman drives away, but it isn't until Seulgi turns does she realize she's not alone. The young woman who was in the backseat is standing beside her, paying no attention to the blonde.

 

Seulgi studies her, and only one word comes to mind—beautiful.

 

Her eyes widen when the brunette catches her staring, making her heart freeze with the piercing glare. “I may not look it, but I can judo kick you all the way into the next life.” Seulgi unconsciously backs away, but stops herself when she realizes she doesn't need to.

 

“I'm not doing anything!”

 

The woman scoffs, “Yeah, that's what they all say.” She marches ahead, as Seulgi stands appalled at the girl who flipped like a switch. She brushes blonde locks out of her face and adjusts her heavy backpack, before following after the petite woman into the rundown motel.

 

The stranger throws her another glare when she realizes Seulgi is behind her, but the man at the counter calls for her attention. “Ok, Miss. Your room is 207. Ah, you’re quite lucky!” Both the woman and Seulgi perk their ears at his unusually peppy voice. “You got the last vacant room!” He's in the middle of handing the smiling woman a key, before Seulgi appears beside her with furrowed brows.

 

“You mean there's no more rooms?”

 

“Yes, don't you know what vacant means?” Seulgi ignores the snarky comment and continues. “Is there anything you can do? It's almost dark out and hitching a ride seems improbable.”

 

The man apologetically shakes his head, “I'm sorry, Miss. She just grabbed the last one.” The woman wears a smirk as she takes the key, and Seulgi doesn't fail to notice the excessive jangling she does. She's out the door, leaving the blonde in the small lobby. Seulgi admits that there's nothing she can so about the situation, and heaves a defeated sigh.

 

“Is there any place I can get food around here?” Seulgi realizes she hasn't eaten since breakfast, until her stomach lets out a chorus of cries. The man nods and points behind her, gesturing to the diner across the street. She thanks him and speed walks towards the neon LED lights that spell out, ‘diner’.

 

The door opens with a jingle and she slides into the red cushioned booth and is greeted by the bubbly waitress who hands her a menu. Once her order is in, Seulgi glances around the small diner. It's not sleek and a bit more old fashioned than what she's used to, but she can't deny the charm that flows through the air.

 

Her food is ready in no time, and Seulgi knows she’s found another hidden gem when she stares down at her plate. The warm maple syrup glistens as she pours it over the traditional breakfast food, seeping into the fluffy pancakes that make water. Seulgi wastes not a single second before diving in, wolfing down the food in a frenzy. Her taste buds dance in glee, while her stomach no longer protests. 

 

"You have syrup in your hair.” She comes to an abrupt halt at the voice, staring up at a familiar woman who throws her a slight look of distaste. “Chew before you speak, please.” Seulgi shuts her gaping mouth and swallows in one motion. She doesn't say anything as the dark brown haired woman sits right across from her in the same booth. The hitchhiker has always been at a loss for words when she's confused, only staring in perplexion. The stranger grabs a napkin and holds it out towards Seulgi, “Take it.”

 

The blonde has no idea why she follows this woman’s every command, but takes the napkin anyway. She wipes the corners of and then the drop of syrup that somehow got into her hair. “Um,” Seulgi doesn't know exactly what to say, unable to make sense of the situation. “Can I help you?” She looks around at the rest of the diner, seeing a good handful of empty seats.

 

Instead of a proper reply to her question, the woman stretches her hand halfway across the table. “Hi, I’m Bae Joohyun.” Seulgi stares at the pale hand blankly, causing Joohyun to retreat and the faint blush on her cheeks. “So…” The petite woman clears before beginning again. “I want to start out with an apology...for making quick judgements about you.” Seulgi doesn’t comment and nods, knowing full well that Joohyun isn’t done getting the words out of . “What’s your name again?”

 

“You never asked for it.” Seulgi’s not really angry, she just needs some more food in her system.

 

“Right…” There's another pause, so the blonde forks a bite of sausage into . It bursts with flavor, oily juices of spices that blend together so well that she closes her eyes in bliss. She almost forgets her unexpected company sitting right across her until Seulgi hears a clear of the woman's throat.

 

She peers up from her plate and mumbles a, “What?” Having the chance to roam around the world on her two feet, Seulgi’s met a lot of strange people, coupled with a good amount of strange experiences. So, she doesn't really think much about this Bae Joohyun. She might just be hungry. Seulgi sets her fork down onto the plate and pushes it towards the brunette.

 

Joohyun eyes the food quizzically and when she looks back up to Seulgi, the woman is nodding her head with assurance. “I...I'm not—” Joohyun stops herself at the expression on the blonde’s face. It's so inviting, much like a cup of hot chocolate to keep warm on a winter's day. So, she cuts herself a small slice of pancake and works up a little grin as she slowly chews the food and swallows it with a push. Joohyun’s never been one to eat off of another’s plate, especially that of a stranger’s.

 

“Thank you.” She pushes the plate back to Seulgi, and is quickly blinded by her smile. And it's not just her teeth that shine, it's also the glimmer in the blonde’s eyes as they arch into crescents. Joohyun takes it as a good sign, and starts off with, “I am in a little bit of a...problem.” Seulgi already has her cheeks filled, tilting her head with furrowed brows.

 

She was always a er for those in need.

 

“Well you see, there was a mix up at the motel.” Joohyun plays with the silver ring on her finger, but manages to mutter the rest of her dilemma. “Turns out the last room was already taken.”

 

Seulgi wipes with a napkin. “And…?” She can't seem to follow where the brunette is going. Joohyun musters up the courage to finally let it out in the open.

 

“Can I stick with you in the meantime?” Seulgi almost coughs out the water she just sipped, staring at the stranger in front of her.

 

“What?” Just moments ago, Joohyun threw metaphorical daggers into her and threatened her with a kick past the throngs of death and rebirth. The woman doesn't even know Seulgi’s name yet!

 

“It's just getting late now and I'm not sure what to do.” The waitress comes over to clear the table and leave the checkbook in front of Seulgi as she ponders. There's fear swallowing those soft brown eyes and Joohyun suddenly looks so small sitting in the red booth. Seulgi contemplates a bit more and crumbles when Joohyun sinks deeper into the seat with a downward cast.

 

What harm could she possibly do?

 

“Ok.” The brunette visibly brightens at the reply, bouncing up in her seat and reaching halfway across the table.

 

“Really? Thank you so so much,”

 

“Seulgi,” Seulgi pulls out her wallet and tosses a few bills on top of the receipt, “Kang Seulgi.” The blonde slides out of the booth and stands up, waiting for Joohyun to get up as well. They holler goodbye to the employees and enter the looming darkness outside. The two women walk along the side of the road with their bags in tow, but Seulgi notices something a bit off. “Why are you wheeling around a suitcase?”

 

Hitchhikers are known to build broad shoulders and back muscles from the heavy backpacks they lug around, not suitcases. She scans Joohyun once more and realizes that the brunette looks out of place in the middle of practically nowhere. Her shoes are a pair of black flats and she’s weari

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter