; exiled

Boy Meets Sin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“A regular espresso and a small cappuccino with skim milk to go” a voice called out to Jungkook as he stood by a large machine, a pile of paper next to it. He hurriedly put down the coloured pen that he was gripping and started on the drinks he was instructed to make.

The sleeves of his black shirt were folded up to keep out of the way and the white apron around his waist was stained with coffee and a red paste which he assumed was jam. His hair, which once had been neatly styled was a messy, sticking up in multiple directions. On his hands, was pen marks and the lingering scent of coffee beans.

Inside the café, there was a hum of dying chatter and the pleasant aroma of baked pastries. His fingers worked quickly to twist the knobs of the machine and placed takeaway cups beneath. His heart was racing in his chest as he prepared the drinks at a swift pace, making sure to follow the required guidelines.

Once he was finished, he set them on the collection counter and called out the order so that the couple could collect their drinks. He gave them a warm smile as they came over and took their purchases.

Out of the glass windows, the miserable streets were on view. Dark clouds concealed the sun and rain trickled down the window panes. Figures in warm coats strolled by the café, the occasional customer entering in order to warm themselves up with the hot beverages they had on offer.

“Jungkook,” a figure approached him, entering in his line of sight from behind the leaving couple. “Need a lift home?” The young boy stared at the elder, noting how he had already changed out of his uniform and now had a bag slung lazily over one of his shoulders.

“Are you finished?” Jungkook questioned.

“Sort of,” was the reply. “So, do you want a ride?”

“Thanks, Hoseok, that would be great,” the younger male nodded his head wearily. Hoseok offered him a tired smile, his eyes flickering down to the crinkled papers shoved next to the coffee machine. He let out a gentle sigh to which Jungkook frowned in confusion. “Is everything alright?”

“We’ll talk after you finish. I’m going to take a seat,” Hoseok brushed off. He took a step back and lifted up the side of the bench, setting it down carefully as he strolled over to one of the empty tables by the window. As Hoseok dropped his bag down by his legs, Jungkook stole a glance up at the clock which felt as though it was stretching to grasp each passing minute.

His feet were aching from standing up all day and his head felt heavy. He sniffed quietly and rubbed the back of his head as he turned back to the coffee machine which he hadn’t realised was running. He inwardly groaned at his misfortune as he pushed any cords to the side with the addition of his papers.

He had had trouble with it before. It had a tendency to start pouring coffee even when he hadn’t turned it on. He had tried speaking to the manager about replacing it but seemingly, they were using the funds currently on the dining section; apparently what happened behind the counter was less important. So long as the customers saw an elaborate setup and were happy with their service that was all that mattered.

He hit the side of the machine and turned it off. He stared at the coffee that had flowed into the catcher beneath it and tugged on the edge to clean it out. His luck didn’t seem to shift as when he pulled on the dispenser some of the liquid splashed onto his fingers. He dropped the tray of burning coffee onto the ground with a sharp clatter, startling some of the customers. With a quickly warming face, Jungkook scanned the bench and grabbed some napkins.

“Get a mop,” came the voice of his boss. The young boy feared looking over his shoulder at the older woman.  She was an unusually tall lady, which was possibly one of the reasons she seemed too frightening. Jungkook wasn’t even sure he had ever seen her smile; not even towards her customers, however, it wasn’t as though she interacted with them. She spent the majority of her time breathing down the necks of her employees. How Hoseok managed to remain cheerful was still a mystery to Jungkook. And frankly something he envied the boy about.

He gritted his teeth together, listening to the clicking of the woman’s heels crack against the floor as she moved away. Each sharp sound was like small animals’ bones being snapped. A chill passed up Jungkook’s spine, causing him to shudder.

Jungkook knew he shouldn’t be mad. But he couldn’t help but feel the irritation rising up in his stomach. He seared through his body; it was like his blood was on fire. In a way, it was warming him up. For that, he couldn’t be too fussed.

A figure clearing their throat came from above. He had to hold back a groan as he remained crouched on the floor. A small hum left the back of his throat, indicating he was listening to whatever they had to say.

“I can see you’re in the middle of your midlife crisis,” a female employee whispered, “but I need a large mocha with whipped cream.” Jungkook didn’t answer but rather stared blankly at the cupboards momentarily. “Jungkook?”

“Full cream milk?”

“Thank you.” Jungkook would be more comfortable with remaining on the floor and yet he found himself rising to his feet in order to complete the new task. He couldn’t bring himself to look in the direction of the young girl. Much less anyone else in the heat of the moment.

He spent the remainder of his shift, which only consisted of another half hour, moving back and forth between stations. He cleared the floor, gathered dishes for the sink all the while keeping a mindful eye on the coffee machine.

By his side, his bundle of notes was stained and smelt of stale milk. Some of the words were smudged after being soaked through. At some point, his highlighter had since faded; green lines gradually paling the more times he flipped the pages.

Returning to the staff room, he removed his apron, shoving it in a plastic bag before packing it in his backpack which was already stuffed to the brink. He would shower and change when he arrived home, he told himself. He just wanted to get out of the café as soon as he could. Slinging his bag over his tired shoulder, he emerged from the cramped room and into the spacious dining area where Hoseok was still waiting for him.

He tapped gently on the edge of the table, catching Hoseok’s attention. The older boy glanced up from his illuminated phone, tucking it in his pocket as he got up to join Jungkook. Hoisting his bag from the floor, he scanned the café, noting how the tables had been wiped down and chairs tucked in. A small smile pried the corners of his mouth as he nodded once.

“Alright. Let’s get out of here,” Hoseok announced.

The air was cold, a bitter iciness circling them as they walked outside. Jungkook instantly regretted not taking his coat from his bag. It was raining and neither male had an umbrella to shelter them from the rain.

Droplets splashed against the grey pavement. Dark clouds shadowed the peeks of buildings and hid the sun behind its grim cloak. Their breath was foggy as they walked down the bleak streets. Jungkook shivered, his ashen face feeling numb and colourless. He felt more like a walking corpse then a human being. To his surprise, even Hoseok’s sunny personality had dimmed.

Thankfully the car wasn’t parked that far from the café, therefore the two friends weren’t completely soaked. Jungkook could feel his hair clinging to his forehead, beads of rain slipping down the side of his face. They hurriedly got into the car, where Hoseok promptly the engine before fiddling with the heater settings with his pale fingers.

“Are you alright?” Jungkook asked quietly. Hoseok paused then drew his hand back from the buttons. He ran his fingers through his hair, pushing his damp locks back from his face then pulled out onto the street.

“It’s just been one of those days.” That was code for Hoseok had been fired. At that moment, Jungkook found that his concerns were significantly outweighed within seconds.

“Are you kidding me? She fired you?” Jungkook exclaimed. “That doesn’t make sense. You’re a hard worker and you’re always –”

“I know,” Hoseok smiled, “While I appreciate your help in getting me the job in the first place; I’m cursed. I can’t hold a job for more than six weeks.”

“You’re not cursed,” Jungkook responded. As if to disagree with him, the sky rumbled in response. He heard Hoseok chuckle in amusement.

“Really?” his friend quizzed, “Then how else do you explain it?” The young boy didn’t have an answer to that question. He simply propped his arm up on the sill of the car, his eyes watching as the rain started to pelt the windows. The streetlights were blurry through the window, flashing by in a misty haze as Hoseok drove. The wipers squeaked against the windscreen, flicking bullets of rain to the side.

The storm rang in Jungkook’s ears. It rattled his bones, and yet, his eyes felt heavy. Stealing a glance in Hoseok’s direction he could see the deep rings of weariness sinking beneath his eyes. He was just as tired. Hoseok’s lips were pressed together as he frowned, peering through th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter