Colored

Hue |Jikook|




Soulmate~ A connection with someone so strong that you are drawn to them in a way you have never experienced before.

A life filled with "color".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jungkook stared out the classroom window, the steady flow of raindrops falling down slowly against the cool glass. He was paying no attention to the teacher's lecture about some random math problem he probably already knew.

What consumed his mind was how monotone his world was. The dark board, the brightness of his classmate's shoes, the dark and light strings of his bracelet. 

It was all one hue.

~They say once you find your soulmate, the person becomes colored. But when you kiss them, your whole world bursts into a saturated rainbow. Exploding with "color."~

Jungkook wondered constantly about what color was -his friend Hoseok still goes on and on about how vivid his world turned after he met his soulmate, Yoongi. In his world, there was no such thing. There was no "green grass" or "white paper". It was "dark grass" and "light paper". There was really no difference between "hues", therefore, they received simple adjectives such as dark, fair, and light. Any color-word being pretty much useless.

As like most people, Jungkook felt empty not having a soulmate. Like something was missing, but no matter how much he searched, he couldn't find it. Like one giant maze that he couldn't seem to find the way out of. 

He doesn't want to be part of the 10% of people who live to never find their soulmate. The ones that died old and alone.  At least he was destined to have a soulmate, unlike the "Lost."

~In this world, people with grey-colored eyes were destined to never have a soulmate.  A "lost" was the term people used for people with this tragic deformity. They were looked down upon strongly by society. People claiming that they were "unfit for this prestigious society" or they were a "complete waste of space." They often were poor and lived on the streets, to be begging for the rest of their life. Not to mention, a completely monotone world.~

His mother told him when he was very young that his eyes were a deep, yet soft, brown. She told him that someday, his soulmate would fall right into his arms, hopefully.

The completeness one felt once they found their true partner is what Jungkook yearned for. He longed for the experience of color. He wondered how sad blue was and how happy yellow was. The aching he felt to just once feel color.

Just then, the bell for lunch rang, interrupting Jungkook's thoughts. He got up, grabbed his backpack, and bolted out of the classroom. Once he got into the cafeteria, he scanned the lunch room for his four "best" friends. He found them at a table in the corner, and he made his way over.

"Baby Kook~!" Jin screamed as soon as Jungkook got to the table. He was holding hands with his soulmate, Namjoon while eating his abnormally large lunch.

"Hey hyung," Jungkook replied monotone.

"Kook, what deep, existential thoughts did you just have in math class today?" Hoseok said, in the arms of Yoongi. It's rare he even talked to him, so this was a special occasion. 

"It's nothing," Jungkook replied again monotone, "don't worry about it." Everyone looked at him a bit skeptical, but brushed it off and continued their previous conversation.

Jungkook then got out his lunch which consisted of a granola bar and a sandwich. Nothing too special being that Jin always tends to steal about half of his lunch anyway. 

 

 

"-and Mr. James was so enraged. His face was literally bright red! He took his blue book off the desk and threw it at Yoongi which, of course, did not even phase him out of his cute, blissful sleep. I guess that's my little cinnamon roll for you!" Hoseok said pinching Yoongi's cheeks. 

Jungkook just tuned into the conversation after hearing colors. He wished that he could partake in their conversation, and add his input, but he could not, for he differed from his friends in one aspect. A soulmate.

Jin, the eldest, met his soulmate when he was only 4 years old. Their parents noticed him and Namjoon being literally inseparable, so they decided to get them tested if they were soulmates or not.

~The Soulmate test is a series of similar color boards next to something on, what you think is, your "soulmate", and if you can tell the specialist that the hues are different or the same, you have met your soulmate.~

Hoseok and Yoongi met while Yoongi was in a rap-battle with one of his "enemies." Hoseok just happened to be passing by and caught a sight of some weird "light" -as he described it-, and he decided to check it out. When he approached, he saw Yoongi covered in this weird "light". He just kept staring at him with amazement until the other was finished -of course, he wrecked his opponent- and they both just stared at each other for a good five minutes until Yoongi said, "So... you're my soulmate?" 

"Yeah, I guess I am. I'm Hoseok by the way." Hoseok replied. And ever since then they have been literally inseparable.

So, as you can probably tell, Jungkook is almost always left out or can't really add to any of their conversations. You may be asking why he hasn't left them yet, but then he would have no one, and he would be right back where he started, minus the friends. In other words, a complete loner.

He gets up to throw away his trash and, as always, no one notices him leave, so he just goes to the library to study. No one would care anyway, and that made him mad.

 

 

Jungkook was sitting at Jin's cafe with a cup of black coffee, per usual on a day he wasn't feeling particularly joyful. Jin was Jungkook's closest friend out of their friend group, so it was only natural that he comes to his café to talk to someone who would actually listen to him. 

"Hey, Bud. I'll be on break in about 10 minutes then we can talk." Jin said to Jungkook while he was wiping a nearby table.

"Ok" was all Jungkook replied with.

Ten minutes later, Jin plopped himself down at the table Jungkook was sitting at and started, "Jungkook, you've been really distant these past few weeks, and, to be honest, I'm getting tired of it. I know something's wrong," Jin looked at Jungkook directly in the eyes, "please. I really only want to help. I promise I won't tell anyone if you don't want me to. Just please tell me, the team and I don't know what you want!" 

"I'm...I'm envious of all of you," Jungkook replied, fidgeting with his hands under the table. Jin looked at him aghast but kept listening. "I want a soulmate, hyung. All you guys talk about is how awesome your world is and how colorful it is. I want to take part, I really do! But I can't if all you guys talk about is stuff I can't talk about as well!" Jungkook started to raise his voice in agony, "unlike you guys, I don't have a soulmate! I'm sorry if I've been down recently, but it's not easy being the only one in your friend group without something all the others do! Have any of you even thought about me recently? Did you know that every day, I feel so left out, I just to go to the library to study because at least there it's normal to ignore people, and at least there I don't feel left out and unneeded." Jungkook was fuming by now but took a couple of deep breaths and continued, "I can't just magically get a soulmate from nowhere. I can't just one day appear and have a soulmate like you guys. The world has decided that it doesn't like me," Jungkook finished and looked down, holding in tears. He has held in these emotions for such a long time, he needed to get them out and Jin was the unlucky one to get all of Jungkook's pent-up emotions. 

Jin was frozen. Honestly, he didn't even notice Jungkook leaving the table during lunch, and he felt like such a bad friend because all of what his friend just said to him, was true. "I'm so sorry, Jungkook. I really didn't notice you felt that way." Jin said grabbing Jungkook's hand and holding it up to his forehead. "I-I'm such a bad friend." Just then, Jungkook noticed wet streams flowing down the older's cheeks. 

"Hyung. You don't have to cry. I just needed to get some things out." Jungkook was beginning to feel a little uncomfortable, being he's never really enjoyed sappy events. The tears that were in his eyes suddenly gone.

"What can I do?" Jin asked suddenly. "What?" Jungkook replied, confused. "What can I do to make it up to you?" Jin looked up with dark, puffy eyes. Jungkook couldn't resist and replied with, "Hyung, you don't have to do anything. All I ask is that maybe you could try to involve me a little more, and I'll try harder to take part as well." Jungkook scratched the back of his neck.

"Awe! Jungkookie!" Jin jumped up and practically picked up Jungkook in a hug. "I love you so much! I'm such a proud parent." Jin finally released Jungkook from his death-grip. Jungkook gasped for air.

"Kookie," Jin said, "Come to my house on Saturday." Jungkook, still recovering, replied, "and may I ask why?"

 "Of course not!" All Jungkook thought was 'Great'.

 

 

"What‽" Jungkook practically yelled at the older. "I said we are going to help set up my little brother's birthday party. Now shut up before you get me in trouble. My brother's taking a nap."

The two friends were currently packing up to go set up Jin's little brother's birthday party. The party was going to be held at a very popular park - particularly popular among kids - by the sea.

When they finished, Jin grabbed his car keys, and he and Jungkook quickly got into his car and headed to the park. 

 

 

Twenty minutes later Jin and Jungkook got out of the car and started to unpack and set up all the birthday decorations.

"Jin, tell me why there are so many bears everywhere?" Jungkook asked surrounded by a tablecloth covered in bear head designs. "Jungkook, sweety, don't you know what a theme is? My brother picked bears for his birthday this year. Don't ask me why. He just did." Jungkook just stared at him confused but decided to continue setting up the tablecloth. All of his birthday parties were just a bunch of friends hanging out, maybe a cake and presents.

 

 

About thirty painful minutes of setting up, Jungkook was about ready for some lounging or at least a good drink due to it being a very hot day.  But, to Jungkook's dismay, a van arrived and dumped out three wild-looking children that then came barreling towards the party. Jungkook just groaned and walked over to where Jin and his mother were talking.

"Jungkook! Perfect," Jin's mother said when she noticed Jungkook approach, "Here is a list of the things I need you two to do before I grant you guys your freedom." She gave Jungkook a light piece of paper with three list items on it and left to greet the parents, who were dropping off their children for the party.

"Sounds easy enough," stated Jungkook looking a the list of chores Jin's mother had handed them, "we just have to gather the 'things', get them fed, dump them into the ocean then make a break for it."

"Jungkook, enlighten me. What did your mother teach you about raising and caring for children? Because from what I'm seeing, the answer is nothing," Jin said in a disappointed tone while he was setting out the bowls of food for all the children.

"Well, what would you call them? I'm still undecided personally. It's a toss-up between a rabid troop of starving monkeys or a pack of wolves with rabies." Jungkook said, going over to help Jin.

"Jungkook, remind me to never bring my children to visit you, ever." 

"Much appreciated." 

Jin started to look frantically inside the box that held all of the eating utensils. Not finding whatever he was looking for, he turned to Jungkook.

"I seem to have forgotten the cups. Kook, can you go to the car and get them out. I think they are in the very back."

"Yeah, but while I'm gone can you please gather all the 'things' for food?" Jungkook said latching onto his friend and giving him his best possible puppy face. 

"Aish, Kook you are such a child," Jin said trying to get Jungkook off of him but to no avail.

Jungkook made a louder than necessary gasp, "how dare you call me such a foul name! How could you," Jungkook starts to "cry" on Jin's arm, again, louder than necessary.

"Ok, fine. I'll gather the kids so hurry." 

Jungkook jumps off Jin smiling and runs to the car to grab the cups. 

On his way back he catches a glimpse of some weird "light." His brain immediately went to 'color, you just saw color.'  But before Jungkook registers it, it's gone. Jungkook frantically looks all around him to see if he can catch it again, but no luck. It was gone.

Jungkook decided to just let fate take its course and went to give the cups to Jin who had all the children, surprisingly, sitting at the table. 

The next series of events were a complete blur to Jungkook. 

One moment he was hurrying to Jin, the next he had a shooting pain in his back and was laying on the hard ground. Jungkook groaned in discomfort because there was a sudden weight on top of him and cups everywhere.

"Oh my cheese and crackers! I am so sorry! Are you ok? Do you need any medical attention?" Jungkook heard the most angelic voice say to him. His eyes are still closed trying to savor this moment because he's sure he's dead. 

The smooth, yet panicked, voice continued, "I'm truly so sorry I was totally zoned out! I didn't look where I was going! I-" 

"Hey! It's totally fine! I'm fine! See?" Jungkook interrupted. He gestured to his body that was seemingly ok and opened his eyes.

He looked up and the world seemed to go into slow motion. On top of him was an absolutely gorgeous man who had the face of a baby. This man was covered in color, and Jungkook felt like he could name every color he was seeing, somehow. From the deep brown of his eyes to the bright blue of his shirt and blonde hair that was clearly dyed. He had the plumpest, reddest lips Jungkook thinks he's ever seen, and the first thought that comes to his head is how soft they would be on his very own. 

He's brought out of his thoughts by the man frantically waving his hand in front of his face. 

"Are you sure you are ok?" 

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing?" 

"What?" the man replies, then a look of realization comes across his face, "oh, are you talking about the fact that you're my soulmate and you're covered in color? Because if that's the case, yes, I do see what you are seeing, but I'm late for a party that I was hired to do, so I must make haste." 

He truly didn't expect his soulmate to put him off to the side like this, but he did have the rest of his life to see him. He just hoped that his soulmate wasn't always like this.

"What party may I ask?"

"The party over there with all the bears. I forgot my costume, so I had to run home and get it hence why I'm late and need to get going," the man gets up and grabs his bag that was on the ground nearby, "see you, soulmate!" 

Jungkook's soulmate was gone before he could even say he was going to the same party, but now he had the chore of picking up all of the cups that were scattered all over the ground. He would deal with his soulmate situation when the time came.

 He quickly gathered all of the fallen cups and rushed to Jin where he was just observing Jungkook with a smug look on his face. He knew he was going to get a mouth full later.

"Made a new friend, have we?"

"Shut up and feed the whatcha-ma-call-ems."

"Ok, ok. Get the sandwiches and fruit, and I'll get the juice and the chips," Jin replied, "but don't think you're getting out of this."

 

After all the kids were fed, Jin and Jungkook blew up all the pool floaties, made sure all the children had their swimsuits on, and let the kids swim. They both had not seen the "mystery man" this whole time while the party was happening. 

To Jungkook's disappointment, they went to Jin's mother to tell them that they had completed their chores and are going to leave.

"Ok. Thank you, boys, for all of the help. I really appreciate it," Jin's mother said while she was putting the final touches on the birthday cake, "now you boys can go do whatever it is kids do these days."

"Ok, mom. Love you!" Jin said, then gave his mom a kiss on the cheek.

Jungkook had really hoped he would run into his soulmate again while they were at the party, but now it was too late. Jungkook looked down to the ground, counting the blades of grass, feeling a little bereaved.

"Alright, car. Now," Jin said in a hard tone. Jungkook didn't argue and quickly got into the car.

Once they were in the car Jin turned to Jungkook and said, "Now give me the gossip."

"What? There is no 'gossip' to tell."

"Jungkook, I want the juicy details, the bees buzz, the hot gossip. Help a desperate momma out."

Jungkook just looked at Jin with skeptical eyes, but his Hyung's perfect puppy eyes eventually got to him.  

"Ok, fine. I will tell you all that happened and nothing more,"  Jin was at the edge of his seat while Jungkook continued, "so I was getting the cups, and on my way back, this man just ran into me! He kept apologizing, and his chubby cheeks were so cute! And his lips! Hyung! I've never seen someone with that beautiful of lips! They were perfect! The perfect shade of pink and red and the perfect plumpness! There wasn't a flaw on this man's whole body!" Jungkook started to rant, cheeks getting flustered just thinking of the beautiful man. "Hyung, I don't know why some modeling agency hasn't snatched him up yet! How have I lived my life not knowing this man? I just felt so complete next to him." 

"Jungkook, calm down. So you met your soulmate. This is completely normal."

"Is this what it feels like? To finally find your soulmate?"

"Well, I can't really answer your question. I don't even really remember meeting Namjoon, but, yes, I do feel whole when I'm with him. And I feel so alone and helpless when he's gone for long periods of time. But that's all natural."

"Hyung. He's gone. I lost him. I'll probably never find him again, and he literally just pushed me to the side like I wasn't important to him in the slightest! What if he doesn't even believe in soulmates?" Jungkoook started to play with his hair, getting quite nervous about this situation, "Hyung what if I never find him again? What if this is a sign that I will be forever alone?"

"Jungkook! Calm yourself. You don't know what his life entails. He might have had something unbelievably important to attend."

"But Hyung, he was going to work at your brother's party! Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not more important than meeting your soulmate."

"Wait, he was working at my brother's party? Why didn't  you say so! I could ask my mom who she hired, and you'll find him in no time!"

"But I didn't see him at all during the party. Maybe I heard him wrong."

Jungkook was starting to lose all hope of finding his soulmate. He started to think that this mind was playing tricks on him. Maybe the man wasn't his soulmate and he was just delusional? No, that couldn't be, the man said he saw what he was seeing. Heck, he was the one that said they were soulmates first. Why did he just drop him like that? Finding your soulmate was a once in a lifetime thing. No "second chance" or "other lover." You were either happy alongside your soulmate for the rest of your life, or you were sad and alone.

Jungkook did not want to be one of those. The friends that he had would be totally lost for good.

"Hyung," Jungkook turned towards Jin, "what if I never find my soulmate again? What would you do?"

Jin looked outside, seeming to contemplate his answer. 

After a while, Jin replied, dead serious, "you'd live in my basement." 

Jungkook just smiled in response. Maybe he misjudged his hyung's love. 

"Anyway, what were you planning on doing with me?" Jungkook said, wiggling his eyebrows at Jin.

Jing looked at Jungkook confused, but he suddenly got the message and decided to play along.

"First, I would take you out to your favorite noodle shop. We'd share a bowl, and we'd  get the same noodle after eating for a while. Slowly, we would lean in. Then-"

"Alright! Alright! I don't need to know what you and Namjoon are going to be up to in the near future. But I would suggest you get two bowls because I know your appetite Hyung, and it's not pretty."

"Yeah! I raised and nurtured you since birth! Sure we've had our hiccups now and again, but who doesn't! Don't bring my precious appetite into this. You'll bring up its stress levels, only making it worse," Jin defended. He started to rub his stomach whispering things Jungkook couldn't quite interpret.

"Ok, seriously Jin, what are we going to do?" 

"Well, we have a total of two options at hand. One, we go to my place and play Mario till dawn, or second, we get out and ask my mother who she hired for the party and go on a huge quest to find your soulmate. Whatever is fine with me."

Jungkook thought about the options. He could go have a total blast playing Mario with Jin for hours, or he could find what he has been looking for his whole life. He could finally get out of his shell and know what it feels like to actually see color. But Jungkook's soulmate seemed to have other, more important, priorities at hand, and Jungkook did not want the kind of soulmate that doesn't want to be committed. That doesn't want to put his "destined one" first and just not care enough to see if the other is alright with this plan.

Jungkook has dreamed of this moment his whole life, should he just give up and not try? And be alone for the rest of his life?

No. He will fight for his top priority.

"I'll take the second option. I'm in the mood to do some questing," Jungkook says to Jin, suddenly filled with energy, a strong determination and a massive grin on his face.

"Well, ok then, let's go my dear friend and traveling companion," Jin says with equally as much energy as Jungkook.

They both get out of the car and make a B-line to Jin's mother who is currently trying to gather all of the kids for another party activity. 

"Mother O'dearest! I have a question for you to answer!" Jin screamed as they approached his mother.

"Jin, honey, can't you see I'm busy? You will have to wait until I'm done."

"But mom! It's REALLY important! Can't you just spare a minute? This is about my lovely Jungkook's well-being and future love-life!"

"Well if it's that important, give me two minutes. The entertainer just showed up for his singing and dancing and what-not for the kids. He was late, and now we are behind schedule," Jin's mother said wiping the sweat from her brow, clearly exhausted.

"Ok, I'm holding you to it! Two minutes and counting!" Jin says and turned himself and Jungkook away to walk over to a nearby rock, overlooking the shore. 

The scene was absolutely... monotone. All Jungkook saw was a dark ocean, bright sand, and fair plants. They were all the same hue.

All Jungkook could do was try to imagine. He's been doing it his entire life. There was a sense of wholeness to color. Even if it was just a thought. Sure, he couldn't think in color, but just the thought of thinking to see color made Jungkook satisfied, but, of course, never fully satisfied.

He turned to Jin and saw a look of amazement in his eyes, the look of wonder and astonishment. He knew this was all because of color. Jungkook envied this. He felt like he was missing a whole other world, a whole new view of things, and there was nothing he could do about it.

"Hyung, describe to me what you are seeing. The color that you see. I want to feel like I'm seeing it too," Jungkook said, a small smile on his face. His Hyung could see the absolutely breath-taking scene before them, unlike himself, and that alone was enough to excite him about the other's next words. He could soak in Jin's words as if they were his very own experiences.

Jin looked at Jungkook with sad eyes. He couldn't understand Jungkook's pain, and he never will. The least he could do was try to explain the wonders of his world to the younger. 

"Well, imagine what a cold winter day feels like. Imagine that color darker, and that's the color of the ocean. Imagine that color lighter, and that's the color of the sky. Next, imagine the feeling of warm mint tea on the back of your throat, or the sway of the treetops on a warm summer day. That is the color of the plants," Jin said, clearly trying his best at describing the color with the least amount of confusion. Jin suddenly looked down at the rough rock that was under us. "I know," Jin said, voice wavering, "I know I could never understand."

A quiet sob left Jin's lips. 

Jungkook, surprised at his Hyung's sudden moment, said, "Hyung, what are you-"

"Let me talk," Jin interrupted and looked up to Jungkook, a glossy stream of tears running down his pale cheeks. "I want to apologize for not being the best Hyung I could be, and for not being there when you so clearly needed it. A proper Hyung is supposed to protect and nurture, not ignore and leave out. That being said, I know that I could never understand what you are going through, and I want you to know that I will fight and fight till there's nothing left in me to make you happy." By this time Jin was full on balling on Jungkook's shoulder. Jungkook just gently hugged his precious Jin. 

"Am I interrupting something here?" Both boys draw away from each other in record speed.

"Mrs. Kim," Jungkook started, "you see..." Jungkook looked at Jin expectantly, hoping he would have the proper answer. 

Jin saw the look and immediately said, "oh, just 'boy stuff.' You, as a woman, wouldn't understand. Anyways, do you by any chance know the man you hired for the party?"

"Well, I did know his name, if only I could remember it, that is," Mrs. Kim replied, seeming to think rather hard. Her forehead wrinkling and her hand going to massage her temple. 

After a couple of seconds, she looked directly at Jin and yelled, "Park Jimin! That was his name! He is truly the sweetest thing you'll ever meet!" Mrs. Kim put her hands on her cheeks and looked at the sky, clearly thinking of how incredibly cute and kind this Park Jimin was. She then stopped what she was doing and made a frown. "The only thing he could do better is be on time though."

Jungkook perked up, realizing the man she was talking about was totally the same man that ran into him, and the man that was clearly his soulmate. Jungkook all of the sudden got the urge to explain Jimin's lateness, to defend him.

"He forgot is costume at home and had to run all the way back to get it. He then literally ran into me, and we both fell to the ground. The cups I was carrying were everywhere! And Mrs. Kim, I totally agree with you on the cute part! His perfectly chubby cheeks, his toned body, his pink lips, his deep brown eyes. I just want to envelop him in the tightest hug and keep him all to myself!" 

Jungkook was in his own world, currently hugging himself, imagining it was Jimin. The other two, however, were just smiling and looking at Jungkook with complete and total endearment. 

Then Mrs. Kim looked at Jungkook like she had just realized the world was round.

"Jungkook, sweety, did you just say pink and brown?"

"Umm... yes?"

"Oh. My. Goodness! You finally found your soulmate! This is great news! We have to go find him!" Mrs. Kim was now jumping around Jungkook. Jungkook and Jin just laughing at her silliness.

Then, Jungkook remembered how his soulmate treated him when they met. He completely blew him off because of some party. Jungkook could never imagine doing something like that to his soulmate, the rudeness, the disrespect.

"Mrs. Kim, there is just one thing," Jungkook began to scratch at the back of his neck, not ready to relive the memory, "when we met, he kind of just asked if I was ok. Then I, clearly seeing in color, asked him if he was seeing what I was seeing. And do you know what he answered?" Mrs. Kim and Jin quickly nodded their heads, eager for more details, so Jungkook continued, "and I quote, 'Yes, I do see what you are seeing, but I'm late for a party that I was hired to do, so I must make haste,' and he got up and left! So rude! And to your soulmate at that! This is a once in a lifetime event, and he just walked away like it wasn't!" Jungkook was getting rather irritated, having to retell the events one more time made him realize even more how rude and disrespectful his soulmate was when they met.

"Oh, my precious Kookie! Why do you always have it so hard!" Jin said while he ran over to crush Jungkook in one of his signature bone-crushing hugs.

"Jinnie, please release Jungkook, he's clearly in pain!" came out the stern, mother voice of Mrs. Kim. Jin immediately got off of Jungkook, not wanting to feel the full wrath of his mother. He turned back to Jungkook and hugged him again, but this time it was much lighter and pleasant.

"Just know, when we finally capture your soulmate, I'm going to punch him in the face, yell at him, and then give him several books on how to treat your soulmate with respect." Jin pulled away and gave Jungkook a smirk, "maybe, if I'm feeling a little edgy, I'll even throw in a couples therapy session, on the house."

Jungkook swiftly pushed his Hyung back after that.

"There is no way I'm going to counseling! Hyung we've been over this a dozen times! What do you not get about me having absolutely no intention of going to any form of counseling what so ever!"

Jin put his hands up in defeat. "Ok, ok, I get the memo!" Jin put his hands on his heart and made a pained expression. "My dearest Kookie, why must do you hurt me so?"

"Hyung, chill. Let's just go. I don't know how much longer I can wait," Jungkook said and turned away to head over to the area of grass where the man in a bear costume was dancing.

The man's body moved like water, fluid and connected. Jungkook was completely entranced by this man, the way his legs and torso moved with ease to form the most enticing dance Jungkook thinks he's ever seen. He was instantly drawn to this man, wanting to move closer to take off his mask and soak in the man's alluring beauty that Jungkook knew he had - having seen it upfront and personal.

Jungkook quickened his pace towards the man - which he found out his name was Jimin,- eager to put his fantasies into reality. Then Jungkook felt a hand forcefully stop him from his destination. Confused and angered that someone would stop him from meeting his soulmate, he turned around, ready to yell at such person. But what he didn't expect was Jin's mother, still holding him, with a look Jungkook couldn't quite decipher.

She spoke, voice low and quiet to not interrupt the show that they were fifteen feet away from, "Jungkook, I'm sorry, but as the party planner, I wish for you to wait and have this whole endeavor after the show that the kids are currently enjoying. Please."

Jungkook realized that it would be very rude to interrupt Jimin's show while all the small children are enjoying it. So he nodded his head and took a seat with Jin and Jin's mother on the nearest bench. 

As Jungkook watched Jimin's performance, he couldn't help but fantasize about the man that was under the bear suit. He only got glimpses of the small, toned body when Jimin bent down or did anything that put stress on the suit. He wondered what it would feel like to have that body against his. Or to cuddle him late at night, watching Iron Man with a bowl of popcorn to share. Or to hug him after they haven't seen each other all day due to work or school. Or to hold his very small hands that seemed like they would fit perfectly in his, when they are out for a simple walk, to show everyone that he is his. Or to kiss his plump, pink lips anytime he pleases, anytime he wishes to claim him, anytime he wants to remind him who he belongs to.

Jungkook wanted a future with Jimin. He only hoped that Jimin wanted a future with him.

"Hey, Jungkook, can you tell me what you are seeing. I don't remember ever seeing in nonsoulmated eyes. I want to know since you always ask me what it's like to see with my eyes, I want to know what it's like for you," Jin said looking at Jungkook, ready to listen.

Jungkook had to think about how he could explain this plain, simple world to someone who has never seen it so boring, or so monotone. Gathering his thoughts, he lifts his head to look at his Hyung.

"You know the color of the pure night sky, or what you see when you turn off all the lights. The darkness? That is what I see, of course, it's all in different hues. Everywhere I look, it's a different shade of that color. No 'yellows', or 'purples', just dark, sad blackgrey, and white." Jungkook points to Jimin who just finished his dancing and was beginning to hand out treat bags filled with candy, toys, and other miscellaneous treats. "Except for that man over there. That man over there is the light in all that darkness. He literally brightens my world. With him, my world feels so close to completeness. So close to seeing color. He's the only thing in my vision that feels like its the way it's supposed to be."

"Ok, maybe I won't punch him as hard as I was planning to," Jin said with a hint of guilt laced in his words.

"That's good, I don't want him too damaged," Jungkook replies with a smile.

Jungkook looks back over at Jimin who is saying goodbye to all of the children and giving them hugs. 

Mrs. Kim then quickly gets up and runs over to the children and yells, "children let's get a picture with Mr. Bear so you all can remember him! Quickly get close now!" She takes out her phone and opens the camera, but she frowns when she is about to take a picture. "Something's missing," she says and looks around. She meets Jungkook's eyes who are silently pleading her not to do what he knows she's about to do. She gives him an evil grin and says, "of course! This picture would not be complete without the two boys who helped set up this whole party! Come here Jin and Jungkook!" She's waving them over and they both reluctantly get up from their spot on the bench and trudge over to the mass of children who are ready for a picture.

Jungkook can feel Jimin's gaze on the back of his neck when he makes his way over to the side with the least amount of kids. The gaze sends goosebumps down his back. It's not unpleasant, in fact, Jungkook feels rather pleased that he got his rude soulmate's attention. 

After Mrs. Kim was done with the pictures, she said, "Alright kids! Can everyone say goodbye to Mr. Bear?" To that, all the kids made sounds of sadness, including Jungkook - he wouldn't admit it though if you asked him. The bear then walked over to Mrs. Kim and whispered something in her ear. Mrs. Kim's face visibly brightened at what the bear whispered in her ear.

"Good news kids! Mr. Bear has decided to stay just a little longer! And next on the schedule is swimming, so everyone, gather your towels and set them on the rock that you placed them on earlier."

Jungkook thinks it wouldn't be so bad to pull a little mischievous plan to make his soulmate want him, now that he's staying longer. If all goes to plan, he should be walking away with this handsome man for a soulmate. 

Jungkook was rather muscular due to his years of being the star center forward for his high school soccer team. He would definitely use this quality to his advantage. He walks over to Jin, grabs him by the hand, and drags him off to go tell him of his plan.

"Hey! Jungkook! What are you doing?" Jin yells, surprised at Jungkook sudden forcefulness. Jungkook just turns to his hyung and winks.

Once they arrive under a gigantic dark willow tree near the parking lot, Jungkook lets go of his hyung and begins, "I have a plan to get Jimin to notice me, and I sort of need your help," Jungkook says to Jin.

Jin's face forms a look of delight and immediately says, "sign me the flip up! So what do you need me to do?"

Jungkook grins, "So here's the plan: you and I are going to be stationed at the juice table, drinking juice and conversing. When Jimin is near the juice table, I will pretend to say something hilarious, causing you to laugh so hard you spill your juice all over my shirt. This will completely expose my chocolate abs that no one can resist, hopefully, including Jimin."

"Aish, Kook, this is a really good plan, but don't be so full of yourself. We get it, you got great abs. Not all of us can be carved by the gods themselves," Jin says. To be honest, Jin has always been jealous of Jungkook's exquisite beauty and muscular body. He knew about all the girls that wished he was their soulmate, and he also knew that Jungkook had no idea of this fact. 

Jungkook puffed out a large breath of air into Jin's face. "I'm going to call bull on that, but let's just carry out the plan. We don't have all day." Jungkook turned to the direction of the juice table and waved for Jin to follow him, which Jin did with great excitement.

Once they got to the table, they quickly got into position and started a conversation. 

 

 

After a couple of minutes, Jin noticed Jimin sitting on a nearby bench staring directly at Jungkook's back with a sort of ravenous look in his eyes. He had his bear head off and on the table next to him. Realizing the situation, Jin looked at Jungkook. To his dismay, Jungkook was taking a long drink from his cup, oblivious to Jimin. So Jin made a fast decision and said, "Jungkook, whenever the cashier at the grocery store asks my mom if she would like the milk in a bag she replies, 'No, just leave it in the carton!'" Just then Jungkook laughs so hard he spills the remainder of his drink onto his white t-shirt. Jin seeing that the amount spilled on his shirt was not enough, he quickly dumped his cup full of juice on Jungkook's shirt before Jimin could even notice.

"Hyung! Look what you caused!"Jungkook yelled at his hyung, plan momentarily forgotten. Jin just held onto the table for support because he was laughing so hard at Jungkook's predicament.

Jungkook held his shirt out in an attempt to air it out but to no avail. His shirt was completely soaked, so Jungkook just let the wet fabric cling to his body tightly. The shirt showed off every curve and dip of Jungkook's toned abs. They were truly drool-worthy. 

Speaking of drool-worthy, what the two failed to notice because they were too caught up in the moment, was the absolutely carnivorous stare that Jimin was shooting Jungkook. What they also failed to notice was the very uncomfortable problem Jimin had suddenly sprung, making him have to get up and nearly sprint to the nearest bathroom.

"Hyung, you complete idiot! I said that I would say something funny! Not only that but specifically when Jimin was around. The keyword here is Jimin. And currently, he is nowhere near us!" Jungkook was mad. He wanted Jimin to see him like this. This all went horribly wrong all because of Jin.

Jin was slightly offended that his friend apparently did not trust him, but he decided to keep the peace and explain himself before this got too heated.

"Jungkook, do not get mad at me without knowing why I did what I did," Jin said in a stern voice, making Jungkook shrivel back into himself, clear guilt washing over his face. "Jimin was sitting on that bench over there," Jin pointed over to the place Jimin once was, not long ago. 

On the bench, laid Jimin's bear head, apparently forgotten by Jimin, "See? That kid even forgot his head when he ran off in a hurry." Jin laughed at his own comment and Jungkook just stared at the bear head that laid on the table without its owner. 

Suddenly, Jungkook got an idea. "Hyung! This is perfect! I will go find Jimin and give him back his bear head! He will get to see me like this... again... and up close," Jungkook wiggled his eyebrows seductively towards Jin. "This day couldn't get any more perfect!" 

Jungkook was jumping up and down with excitement. Mrs. Kim clearly rubbing off on him. Jin was just chuckling in amusement. Recently, it was rare to see Jungkook this happy. After Hoseok found Yoongi, Jungkook sort of shunned them all away, seeming to be too absorbed in his own thoughts or completely avoiding them. His mood always seemed along the lines of sad or distraught. On a good day, the closest he would get to showing some form of happiness was maybe something closely resembling a smile. 

Of course, Jin and the rest of Jungkook's friends didn't think much of it. They just decided to give him space he clearly wanted. After a while, it just became routine to ignore Jungkook. They did try to get him back to his old happy, young self. At first, giving him a word of encouragement before a test, telling him to eat a little more, or maybe trying to start a conversation with him, but all of this was no use, only getting simple responses, one or two words, or at most a complete sentence, to completely shut down their efforts. So they just stopped trying, thinking he just really didn't want them. 

Jin now knew why his little Kookie acted the way he did. He now realized that this rift that separated them, was caused by both sides, and Jin wanted nothing more than to mend that rift. He supposed that helping Jungkook find what made him all distant in the first place was a good start.

Deciding that Jungkook had enough time to get his excitement out, Jin turned to Jungkook and put both of his hands on Jungkook's shoulders, steadying him. "Calm yourself Jungkook. We wouldn't want Jimin seeing you so," Jin paused and motioned all over Jungkook's twitching body, "giddy." To that, Jungkook completely calmed down, rationalizing that it was most important to keep his cool image, especially if Jimin were to appear. Jungkook nodded in response and made his way over to the table with the bear head.

Once he arrived at the table, he picked up the giant head. He settled on inspecting it before he went out to find Jimin (you know... just to make sure there was nothing wrong with it). It was a simple light bear head, completely void of color, contradicting to what he saw when it was on Jimin. When he saw the short male in the suit, the bear was a beautiful tan with a pink nose and a light brown stomach. Now, it was a combination of grays and whitesBoring.

After his little observation session, Jungkook made his way over to where the main part of the birthday party was, a group of tables under a gigantic willow tree. He searched behind everything, no Jimin. 

Jungkook went over to the area of the beach where all the kids from the party were playing, no Jimin. 

Getting frustrated Jungkook turned to the only other area he could be, the parking lot. Jungkook frantically searched in every car, no Jimin.

At a loss, Jungkook let out a frustrated grunt. He took out his phone and dialed Jin. Maybe he saw where Jimin went. 

It only took three rings before Jin picked up. Jungkook immediately said, "Hyung! I've looked everywhere and there is no sign of him! I'm thinking he just got up and left because he realized I'm not good enough for him! Maybe-"

"Whoa there buddy! Calm down, Jimin is right here. He came back for his head, so you better get your cute over here," Jin interrupted and hung up. 

Jungkook eagerly jogged back over to where he last saw Jin. 

When he got close, he noticed Jin and Jimin talking to each other, quite close, too close. Before either of them could notice Jungkook, he stopped behind a tree to "observe" them. Jungkook narrowed his eyes at how Jimin suddenly bent over laughing at something Jin had said. His pink lips curling up into a wide smile and his brown eyes disappearing.  An ugly, sick feeling washed over him, and he refused to admit that it was jealousy - he knew quite well that it was, he just wouldn't admit it.

He found himself silently contemplating all the different ways he could kill Jin. Quickly or slowly? Painful or not? Clean or messy?

Jungkook violently shook his head, ridding his mind of these extremely cruel thoughts. Since when did he become so malicious? 

Deciding to grow a pair, he came out from behind the tree and made his way to the two. He made sure to approach them so that the first one who saw him was Jin, to, hopefully, make things less awkward. 

When he's about ten feet away, Jin finally notices Jungkook. He instantly smiles and makes Jungkook's presence known.

"Speak of the Devil and he shall appear! Hello Kookie!" Jin practically yelled.

"Yah! You don't have to be so rude. Devil? Really? Hyung, please think of something a little more original next time. I know you're getting old but at least try to hide some years," Jungkook retorts coming up to the older and pushing him with his free hand. He then notices the absolutely melodic sound coming from the person next to him.

God. This man was giggling. Giggling. Jungkook didn't know how much longer he could restrain himself from this perfection. Everything about Jimin was art. 

Jungkook,  with some unknown confidence, turned to the man. "I saw you left your head on the table over there and a wanted to give it to you. Wouldn't want some 6-year-old to scream in terror that the bear man lost his head," Jungkook said with a chuckle, handing Jimin his bear head. 

The man's cheeks visibly redden as he takes his head from Jungkook. He mumbles something inaudible to Jungkook.

"I'm sorry, what?" Jungkook asks trying to look into Jimin's beautiful eyes, but he kept looking away. 

Jimin starts to play with an ear on the bears head. "I said thank you," Jimin said still quite quiet but Jungkook heard. 

Something wasn't right. Jungkook pictured his soulmate to be a total douche. Not this cute, adorable, shy man who seemed to be almost scared of everything. Jungkook raised an eyebrow at Jin, looking for some kind of explanation as to why his soulmate has had a sudden personality change. Jin gave him a shrug in return. He walked up to Jimin and put a hand on his shoulder. Jimin flinched slightly but relaxed when he saw it was only Jin.

"Jimin, can we have a word?" Jin says as he guides Jimin away from Jungkook.

The ugly feeling returned. Why is Jimin acting like that? Was he scared of him? Why is he scared of him and not Jin? This infuriated him to no end. Why was Jin the one to console him?  Why was Jimin so comfortable with Jin and not him? 

Jungkook let out a discontented breath of air and put his hands in his hair in frustration. He might as well just come to terms with the fact that he is not going to have a soulmate. Why even try when your soulmate so clearly doesn't want you? Why try to fight a battle you know there's no hope of winning? You don't.

Jungkook looked over to where Jin and Jimin were. Jin had his arm around the other, talking to him. He seemed to be trying to explain something to Jimin, due to his excessive hand motions. They were only a couple of inches away from each other. They seemed pretty into what the other was saying. They wouldn't notice if Jungkook just slipped away. 

And that's exactly what Jungkook did.

He knew he was overreacting, but he couldn't help it. He didn't know what he would do if he was rejected. He couldn't handle the thought of it, let alone actually go through it.

So he ran. 

Something he knew how to do. 

            -Distance yourself, and you won't get hurt. 

            -Don't talk, and you won't get hurt. 

            -Don't make things complicated, and you won't get hurt. 

He was at a full-on sprint. The warm air pushing against his face, the smell of salt water, the light coming through the trees. Perfectly beautiful, but not as beautiful as Jimin.

No. He needed to forget. He needed to forget that man's name, that man's charm, that man's color. 

Fate was wrong. Fate had made a mistake. Fate had messed with Jungkook until he broke. And he was the only one getting hurt. He had tried to play the game, but he just ended up hurt and alone. Jimin, no, that man probably had someone else. Jungkook was a misfit, a failure, a complete freak. 

Hot, wet tears were streaming down Jungkook's face. Nose runny and eyes dark and puffy. He was still running at a brutal pace, but he could take the pain. This pain was nothing compared to what Jungkook felt inside. Inside, he was shattered, the pieces leaving slivers and deep gashes all over. The pieces not stopping and only going deeper, stinging more.

~Once one has found their soulmate, it is very harmful to leave them if they haven't completed the soulmate process. The farther they are apart, the more it'll hurt and damage the pair. This is deadly and if kept apart for long enough, both will perish.~

Vision blurry, Jungkook didn't see the tree root protruding out from the ground. Tripping over the root, Jungkook let out a gasp in surprise, then a howl in pain. His whole body exploded in an excruciating pain. No one was around to help him. He was on the complete opposite side of the park. Alone, he cried in deep, broken sobs. 

He felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. Shaking, he grabs his phone and looks at it. He has to blink a couple of times to get clear vision. A bright "Jin" appears on the screen. Still sobbing, he watches as the screen goes back to his home screen and a notification appear that he missed seven calls from Jin, then black. He must not have felt the other six times while he was running. Then his phone lit back up, "Jin" appearing once again. Jungkook, with a trembling finger, taps the light "Accept" button. 

"Jungkook! Oh, thank God! Where the hell are you! Jimin just dropped to the floor in pain and you are nowhere to be seen!" Jin yelled. Jungkook could hear a faint crying in the background which he presumed was Jimin. That made his heart tighten.

Jungkook let out a sob. "I-I... Ji-min doesn't want m-me. I ran. I-I ran like I always do. I'm not good enough, and I'm i-in s-so much p-pain. It hurts. It hurts," Jungkook was full on sobbing not caring about his pride.

A gasp was heard on the other line. "Jeon Jungkook! What has gotten into you? How could you be so oblivious to the things around you? People are trying to help you, and you just run away!" There was a brief pause and heavy breathing on the other line, Jin was mad. "I'm coming to get you. Where are you?" Jin said, voice hard and stern. Jungkook contemplated if he should tell Jin his location, but decided he would do anything to get out of this unbearable pain. 

"N-not far. B-by the playground w-with the dark s-slide," Jungkook replied, voice cracking.

"Ok," was all Jungkook heard before the line went dead. 

Jungkook sat up, curled up against the tree, and continued to cry in pain.

 

 

A couple minutes later, Jungkook feels nearly all the pain dissipated, a feeling of comfort wash over him, and a small, warm body envelop him. The body was shaking and faint whimper could be heard. Surprised, Jungkook tried to push the person away to see who it was, but the embrace only tightened. 

"D-don't leave m-me," the smallest, saddest, most angelic voice Jungkook has ever heard came from the body latched onto him.

"J-Jimin?" Jungkook asked already knowing the answer, wanting to hear Jimin's sweet voice that seemed to wash away all of his pain and worries.

"Y-you complete idiot!" Jimin's grip tightened even more, "W-who said I didn't want you? Who said you're not good enough? I-I want you. Jeon Jungkook, I want you. I want you as a soulmate. As a friend. As a boyfriend. And as a life-time partner." Jimin was completely sobbing by the end, but it was enough to make Jungkook feel like the most stupid and guilty person in the world.

Jungkook quickly turned to face Jimin. Looking at him directly in the eyes. His glossy, deep brown eyes were absolutely breath-taking. Given, they would be even more beautiful if they weren't all red and puffy, but even then, Jimin was perfect. 

"Really?" was all Jungkook could muster out before a sob left his lips.

Jimin smiled brightly in response. "Y-yes. I don't want to go through the p-pain of not having you ever again."

Jungkook has never felt so happy. He finally has what he has been looking for his entire life, right here in his arms. There is no way he will ever let this man go. He is too precious. He is the finest diamond in a sea of rocks.

Jungkook, with the biggest grin he could muster, put his hands behind Jimin's head and pulled him close, lips barely brushing against each other. Jungkook wanted Jimin to be able to pull away if he felt this was too fast-paced. But to Jungkook's delight, quite the opposite happened. Jimin quickly closed the gap between the two. 

Wow.

Every inch of Jungkook's mind was filled with thoughts of Jimin. His soft, plush lips that tasted like the sweetest honey. The way their lips just melted together, fitted together like two perfect puzzle pieces. 

His body exploded in a fiery heat. Every part that was touching Jimin tingled with burning satisfaction. He couldn't imagine ever stopping, but alas, they both pulled away, having to catch their breath. 

Jungkook, after a couple of seconds, opened his eyes and his mouth instantly dropped. All around him were greensbluesbrowns, and so many more colors. The world felt so right and complete. It no longer felt wrong or boring, instead, it was exciting and new. Everywhere he looked it was a completely new shade of color, never the same shade twice.

"Wow, that was..." Jimin's words drifted away as soon as he locked eyes with Jungkook.

Jungkook smiled at his soulmate's cuteness. "You don't have a party to attend, right? Because I would love to have the honor of taking you out on a date," Jungkook said winking at Jimin.

Jimin laughed in response. "No, not this time, and hint-hint, I love ice cream,"  Jimin said just before he went in for another kiss, which Jungkook happily accepted.

 

 

All while the two love-birds were sorting their problem, Jin was on a group phone call with all the guys and had his camera out taking about a million photos per minute. He was, of course, cackling the entire time. 

"Dude, chill. You sound like some deranged monkey," said Yoongi. The rest agreed and hung up. Jin's cackling only grew madder and louder.

"This is going on youtube. Heh heh heh..."