1/3

Remember The Town
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seoul had always been a memorable place for Seungwan, in all senses of the word. Well, things haven't changed much except that she was known as Wendy Son now. She hated going by her Korean name because it brought back too many bad memories for her. In the past, Wendy always made sure to introduce herself as Seungwan to prevent further confusion everyone else had a Korean name as well. Trying to stand out was terrible in their school and so, Wendy struggled to keep up with everybody else even though she was smart beyond her years. The jump in two grades had resulted in Wendy's desperate need for a tutor during those years here in Seoul.

Wendy took a deep breath and bit onto her lower lip, praying for a good week ahead. She managed to take leave from her job so she could come over to Seoul and visit her favourite person that she met almost a full year and a half ago.

 

Flashback. 

“Ugh, why couldn’t Unnie get her donuts herself?” Wendy complained with a pout. She hated buying things for her sister because everything had to be as pink as possible. Wendy has absolutely no issue with the colour but her favourite happened to be its opposite, 'blue' so imagine the pain of seeing pnik everywhere. “Even I’m embarrassed to order these. Strawberry, Strawberry Icing, Pink Delights… Aish, Unnie.”

As much as Wendy complained about the former's constant pink demands and requests, she would do anything for her older sister without a second thought – the same way her sister chose to pay for her education in Seoul with her first year of pay cheques. She didn’t need to but Seungwan understood where Miyoung was coming from. Stephanie Young-Hwang Miyoung; the best older sister there is and one of the most filial children she knew. Although they weren’t related by blood, it didn’t change the fact that they could go to unpredictable lengths for each other.

Just as Wendy reached out for the last Pink Delights donut, another pair of tongs reached out for it too. Her eyebrows furrowed at the unexpected interruption, eyes widening when the other woman took the donut at once.

“Excuse me? I saw that donut first.”

The amused expression on the other woman’s face annoyed Wendy, and it took all her strength not to lash out at her. Honestly, Wendy couldn't care less about the donuts but it’s the first time her sister has come back from Los Angeles after achieving her medical degree. All Wendy wanted to do was thank Miyoung – oh right, Stephanie for every thing she’s done for her so far. If she couldn't get her the smallest things like a mere donut, wouldn't Stephanie feel slightly disappointed? The fact that Wendy had to be transferred back to Toronto to finish her education because of what happened made her feel worse.

“Does the donut have your name imprinted or something?”

Oh, you’re on.

“No but you weren’t even in the store when I came in,” Wendy mumbled under her breath, not wanting to be rude to someone she meets for the first time. She calms herself and makes sure to plaster on a smile, “So if I didn’t get it wrong, I did see it first. It just happens to be the donut that I want.”

“Well, you’re not the only one. Sorry.”

Wendy was left behind in the store with her jaw dropped, unable to believe such an exchange was done in vain. She was usually nice and understanding to everyone but it’s because the donut would be for Stephanie, hence the lack of manners. Her blood was boiling, bubbling in fact. Even the shop owner knows Wendy always buys the three flavours as a package without fail because she doesn't like strawberry, and it's always for someone else. 

What was she to do about the donut now?

The owner had guilt written all over her face when she noticed how disappointed her regular customer was after losing her donut, “I’m so sorry, Wendy. I didn't know my Pink Delights would run out so quickly today.”

“It’s okay, Aunty. I got the rest.”

It’s not the owner’s fault anyway, she’s just trying to do some business here. Wendy isn’t the type to make someone feel ty over a spat between their customers. She walked out of the shop and sighed deeply, seeing the Mercedez Benz her sister let her borrow for the day. Everything Wendy sees around now sort of reminds her about the lack of bloody donuts she bought for her sister. Wendy stayed silent and thought for a bit, wondering if it was logical to blame the other woman for a mere snack; she has never been so irrational before.

There was one trait she hated though: the familiar sassy behaviour that reminded her of someone else back in Korea. 

Opening the car door on the passenger side had to be the best decision she ever made though, because Wendy wouldn’t have seen the tiny plastic bag tied to the handle if she just went straight to the driver seat.

 

Here's your donut made of gold.

I would have given it to you if you smiled.

- Kang Seulgi

 

Flashback end.

 

“A penny for your thoughts, baby sis?”

“Aish, Unnie! Why do you keep doing that?” Wendy whined when she felt her hair getting messed up. She immediately grinned when her sister started to comb her ombre locks neatly again. “That’s right. Make me look pretty again, please. Or maybe as pretty as you, Unnie.”

Stephanie feigned a huge sigh of defeat and quickly rearranged Wendy’s beautiful hair. She didn’t know why her younger sister had such a complex about being unique; in fact, Wendy looked prettier and definitely more genuine than some girls Stephanie had seen from her school. She might be a little biased since they are siblings but facts are facts: and Wendy is beautiful the way she is along with her personality, that’s a fact. If anyone dared to rebut that, Stephanie would smack them to their senses. No one should or could deny her younger sister's beauty, not that Stephanie would let them off for it in the first place.

Observing the slow smile that crawled onto Wendy’s face, Stephanie knew it had to be the human teddy bear floating around in her sister’s mind. Stephanie had nearly slapped the walking bear when she disturbed Wendy over and over again, even making her sulk the entire day.

“When are you going to Korea?”

“The following day,” Wendy replied, looking up at her sister with one of the brightest smiles Stephanie has ever seen. She knows her family is aware of who Seulgi is to her and they’re fine with it so it makes things a lot easier. “I want to see my baby bear sooner so I can spend more time with her before I begin work.”

Whatever makes you happy, Wendy-ah.

 

*

 

“Yah, Kang Seulgi! Where did you hide my socks?!”

“It’s right in front of you, Irene-unnie.” Seulgi rolled her eyes, shoving the woman aside. She knows how unpredictable her housemate can be sometimes, and it's pretty extreme. It's odd how everyone thinks they're not supposed to be housemates because of the small difference in their age. Honestly, if they were put side by side and compared, no one would be able to tell that they weren't of the same age. “Look properly before picking on me, Ahjumma. Pft.”

Irene growled in slight annoyance, throwing her socks aside as she marched towards her housemate relaxing on the couch. She knows how playful Seulgi is, especially when she’s with Joy, or otherwise known as Park Sooyoung. They always about her age whenever she starts yelling or nagging at them like a grumpy woman. Irene doesn’t complain about it because at least she has friends that have fun with her like this. Before she met them, others always shunned her because she was older and most likely not as outgoing. Irene got hurt by that mentality and so her cold demeanour never disappeared like she hoped it would.

There was only one other person who dared to make fun of her, but only in subtle and shy ways – still made Irene laugh though. It is a terrible pity that person no longer exists in Irene's life, and only lives on in her memories.

“Yah… get off me, Unnie! I’m talking to Wendy!”

It’s a nice name, Irene smiles.

Ever since they became housemates, Irene noticed the way Seulgi would rush around the house just so she could video call the said woman who still worked and lived overseas. It sounds unbelievable but that’s how Seulgi’s been maintaining their relationship for the past year or so. There are times where Seulgi has to fly to Canada during her vacation period since Wendy doesn’t get that much free time as a certified doctor now. She didn't mind but a part of her also wanted Wendy to live here in Seoul where her friends were, but it's a selfish thought too. Her parents were living in Canada after all, and filial piety is the utmost priority in Wendy's life.

Irene plops herself beside Seulgi, taking out her own phone as she tries not to get envious of the younger. She remembered her own past with the most wonderful girl ever – Son Seungwan. Their memories together were still so fresh in Irene’s mind, as if they had only broken up recently. The one thing that set them aside was that there was no official break up, though Irene didn’t need another reminder after being slapped in the face with Seungwan’s teary eyes and puffy face.

 

Flashback.

Like any other senior in their right mind would, Joohyun denied the favour the Head of Department asked for her to tutor some junior who came in later than most. She was already struggling to get distinction for her modules because of her responsibilities as the school's representative for almost event. Her grades are definitely above par but it's not and will never be enough for Joohyun or her parents. Joohyun's expectations are high mostly because of her younger sibling who needs a good example to look up too. Their parents were always busy so the two sisters only had each other for years, and Joohyun has been the main role model for her. 

“Please, Joohyun. She came here to study all the way from Canada because of her good grades,” the head-of-department made sure to emphasize the country the said person was from. “Our school’s known for its education and that’s why she’s here. You’re the only one who can juggle everything well.”

Joohyun tried to keep her overflowing annoyance in, simply nodding in response to the lady's words. She didn’t know what to do, especially since she already ended in the evening every day. With the extra tutoring, there’s a high chance Joohyun might have to stay in the school dorms instead. Her classes are mostly in the early mornings, and if she has no choice but to tutor the new student. Leaving the staff room was the worst (or maybe the worst) thing Joohyun had done, because she immediately bumped into the person who was causing this inconvenience for her. 

“Oh, I’m so sorry!”

“It’s fine.”

“I was rushing to bring this here because my tutor was supposed to come too,” the girl rambled on and on, unaware of the person she was spilling all of this to. “I want to have a good impression on her but I ended up bumping into you. I’m so sorry, sunba

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter