1....

Home For the Holidays

There weren’t many cars on the road so late at night, especially when many people opted to fly instead of drive the almost 8 hours up the mountain. They had about two hours to go before they arrived to Kibum’s childhood home to visit his family for the holidays. Jinki was supposed to be napping, being they had switched driving about an hour before at the last rest stop, but with the crinkle of the popped rice snack bag he knew the man wasn’t. “Baby?”

Jinki hummed warmly, shifting his head slowly to look over at him from where he had been looking out the window. There was a soft smile on his face as he said, “Yes Bummie?”

“Shouldn’t you be sleeping?” Kibum glanced over at him for a moment before focusing back on the ice covered road. He offered his hand over to the man and Jinki was quick to wrap his warm hands around it.

“Yeah, but I got hungry.” Jinki smacked his mouth. “Not to mention the snow is starting to stick.”

“We aren’t stopping.” Kibum reminded him, knowing full well the next sentence that was going to come out of Jinki’s mouth.

He whined. “But snooow.”

“There’s a good 3 feet of it around my house Baby.”

“But Bummie, snow.” Kibum could hear the pout in his voice and that nagged at him.

When Kibum deeply sighed and the car shifted over to the side of the road Jinki knew he had won. The keys were taken from the ignition and Kibum wiggled on his gloves. A smile erupted on his face when Jinki leaned over to press a slow, warm kiss to his cheek. Before he rushed out of the SUV Kibum called out to Jinki. “You forgot your hat.”

The man didn’t hear him at all, excitement about the snow overpowering everything else. Kibum just shook his head, gripping the thick hat and stepping out of the car. Jinki was working his way over toward the untouched snow a few feet from the road. He looked back at Kibum with a wide, elated smile. Hair covered in little snowflakes. “Come play.”

“I’m good here watching Baby.” Kibum laughed for a moment, before sombering. “Just be careful. There’s always ice under all that snow.”

“I doubt it.” Kibum sighed as the man blew off his warning to focus on catching snowflakes with his tongue. But of course Jinki would find the icy patch under the packed snow and his feet slipped out from under him. Kibum watched with his heart in his throat as Jinki fell straight into the snow back first. Time moved incredibly slow as Jinki didn’t move, panic bubbling in Kibum’s chest he had hurt himself or the baby, but just as he was working getting himself out of his shock and to move toward him he heard Jinki’s laughter. Loud, obnoxious, happy laughter. When he finally made it over to him Jinki was slowly sitting up in the snow, moving it around him with his hands with the biggest smile on his face, little giggles still leaving his lips as the soft cold substance fell from between his fingers. Kibum fussed at him as he helped him up, “I’m fine Babe. Really, I’m okay. You can stop grooming me now.”

“I told you to be careful.” Kibum chided, finally tugging the hat he took from the car over Jinki’s damp, messy hair. “You’re soaked to the bone now.”

Jinki scrunched his nose up in displeasement as he moved his limbs. “I don’t think it’s hit me yet.”

“Have you gotten enough of your snow dose, Baby?”

“Mm yes.” With a hum Jinki stepped closer, arm warming around Kibum’s waist under his open coat and laid his head against his shoulder as he snuggled closer. He shivered a little when the wind blew against them, and Kibum cooed at him. “Bite me snow wolf. It’s cold here.”

“Ah yes, it’s hit you, my little marshmallow. Let’s go get you something dry to wear.”

Jinki climbed into the car to turn on the heat to warm up as Kibum looked through his suitcase for the warmest items he packed. Once he had them pulled out, he rezipped the suitcase and closed the trunk. Jinki changed quickly, sighing happily when the warmth began to engulf him. His wet clothes and big parka was tossed in the backseat for the time being and Kibum wiggled his own coat off to hand it to him. Jinki made a face. “I’m not taking your coat.”

“You’re already wearing my clothes. What’s a jacket?”

The man was grumbling about how rude it was to be so charming and sweet as he snuggled under the soft cotton coat. Kibum just smiled softly as he finally pulled from the side of the road to continue the rest of their drive.

—–

When they finally pulled up the extensive driveway Jinki was snoring a little in the passenger seat. The lights in the house told Kibum that the party had already started, as if celebrating for 4 consecutive days was necessary, but he had grew used to the craziness of his parents holiday gatherings fairly early in his life. He patted Jinki’s knee, heart melting a little as his head shifted over and his cheek squished against the headrest as he wiggled slightly to get comfy again. “Baby, we’re here.”

Jinki squinted as he grunted, not approving of being woken up. “Five more minutes?”

“If we hurry we may be able to sneak in the side and cuddle before they realize we’re here.” At the sound of cuddles the man perked up; however, the excitement of the prospect of cuddles was short lived. As the back of the car was opened someone came outside the front of the house, taking upon themselves to lean back into the front door and announcing Kibum was home. Kibum sighed. He tugged Jinki closer and pressed a kiss to his temple after seeing the deep frown on his face. “Don’t worry. I’ll sneak in to see you later.”

——

Later that night he opened his door slowly, trying to minimize the amount of sound the hinges would make. After the soft click was heard as he closed it he turned to head toward the East wing of the house, where Jinki’s room was. The quickest way was through the kitchen, but as he stepped from the carpet of he hallway to the wood of the kitchen he spotted his mother standing at the counter, slowly stirring something in a small mug. She lifted her attention from the object in her hands and smiled at her son. “I thought you were asleep. You must be incredibly tired from the drive here.”

“I am, but Jinki forgot his toothbrush in my suitcase and he’ll probably need it before bed.” Kibum lifted the small bag that held the man’s toothbrush. She didn’t need to know he had taken it from the man’s suitcase on purpose as a safety net.

“Oh, well I’ll take it to him.”

“Mom, that’s not necessary.”

“You’re exhausted.” She smiled warmly, stepping closer to take the toothbrush. “Besides, we wouldn’t want you getting any ideas and staying the night with him.”

Kibum sighed. “Of course Mama.”

He kissed her cheek and frowned as she walked away. Once he got into his room he texted Jinki quickly, She intercepted me Baby. I’m sorry.

Jinki was quick to respond. It’s okay. I kind of expected her to be waiting. She thinks I’m a bad influence on you.

He snorted. Goodnight Baby. I love you.

Love you too

Kibum hooked it up to the charger and placed it face down on the table before focusing on getting comfy. He frowned deeply at the lack of Jinki to hug and the pillow was just not going to cut it. He flopped onto his back and pouted. Stupid traditions. Hopefully at the actual party tomorrow night he could spend all of it with Jinki.

—–

Jinki held his cup of hot chocolate with both hands, sipping it carefully as he looked over the rim at the rest of the party. The large living room was bright and golden, full of happy celebrating people and pretty sparkling lights. Kibum was mingling, being the good son and going around meeting people he hadn’t seen in a while. Jinki’s eyes slipped away from his boyfriend when he heard his name coming from the left of him. He smiled politely at Kibum’s cousin. He didn’t fail to miss the bottle of whiskey gripped in his hand. The man’s words were a little slurred as he spoke. “Want a shot of this in your mug Jinki?”

“I’m fine with this, thank you though Chanyeol.”

His big eyes narrowed. “Are you sure? It’s a holiday party, what’s a party without booze?”

Jinki hummed. “I’m trying to lower my amount of drinking.”

Chanyeol laughed obnoxiously. “It’s not like your pregnant. Live a little.”

“My doctor wants me on this special cleanse for a test I gotta do when we go back. Thank you for offering though.”

“Alright, sorry to have pushed.” Chanyeol squinted up at the lights. “Mm have a good night if I don’t see you again.”

Jinki eyed him as he left, making a mental note to leave ibuprofen in his room for the man when he woke up. There was a bitter taste in his mouth, and his nose scrunched at the uneasiness in his stomach. His head was starting to hurt from all the noise. Kibum’s family was huge, and that didn’t count everyone’s plus one, and Jinki wasn’t even close to being used to the whole dynamic yet compared to their quiet life back home.

He found Kibum again, and although he wanted to tell him he was heading to bed early, he didn’t want to interrupt the heated conversation he seemed to be having with his father. He debated doing just that for a moment before deciding against it and walking toward the wing of the house his room was in. A quick change and a relaxing time in bed would surely nip the nausea in the bud, or at least make it bearable. Especially with that secret pack of crackers Kibum gave him from the kitchen.

His head was already feeling better as he distanced himself from the volume of the festivities, stepping into his room and quietly closing the door after himself. As soon as he ed his pants he signed deeply, finally feeling comfy and not so restrained. He frowned a little though as he kicked the pants off his ankles, knowing full well he’d need bigger clothes soon.

He shivered as he slipped off his sweater, the chill in the air getting to him quickly. After pulling on a big shirt he climbed into bed with a soft, content sigh. His journal was lifted from the bedside table, next to his cup of hot chocolate, after he got comfy. He thought about sending Kibum a text, to make sure he didn’t worry, but knowing him he wouldn’t have his phone on him and wouldn’t see it until bed anyway.

——-

Music could still be heard in other parts of the house, but the volume was getting dimmer as Kibum walked down the hall to the room Jinki was given when they arrived yesterday morning. His door was closed, but Kibum expected him to be asleep so it wasn’t out of the ordinary. He carefully and quietly pushed it open after turning the knob, slipping in just as quietly. There were a few candles lit and Jinki was laying in bed with his journal open on the mattress next to him. He looked up gently when he heard the door click open and he slowly smiled when he saw Kibum. “Hey Babe.”

Kibum took the few steps to press a soft, slow kiss to his lips. The journal being closed could be heard, and Jinki’s fingers moved up into Kibum’s hair. When the man pulled away their noses were still touching. “You feeling alright, Baby?”

“Yeah,” Jinki smiled and pecked his lips before leaning back on his pillows, eyes warm and soft. “I got a little overstimulated by the noise and lights and all the people. You were talking with your dad and I didn’t want to interrupt, or worry you.”

“Worry me you did.” At the words Jinki pouted, ready to apologize, but Kibum smiled softly, moving to straddle him and said, “Lemme under the covers Baby.”

“But your parents-”

Kibum paused in trying to get to the other side, hovering above him.  He leaned down to kiss Jinki’s nose and whispered, “I already got you pregnant lovlie. I don’t think it matters if I sleep with you under my parents roof.”

Jinki’s cheeks were a little pink in the soft glow of the candle flames. “But they don’t know that.”

There was a deep pout on Kibum’s face. “I missed you last night. It wasn’t the same without you.”

After a moment Jinki cracked. “Fine, but take off your clothes. You know how I hate the feeling of dress pants.”

Kibum grinned as he fell onto the other side of the bed. “You think I’m going to cuddle you in any other state of dress than ?”

Jinki rolls his eyes. “Oh what was I thinking.” After a kiss to his cheek, Kibum wiggled his pants off and ed his nice shirt off, tossing them over the end of the bed. “If your mama comes looking for you I’m going to play opossum.”

Kibum grunted as he moved to get under the covers, but once he was comfy he wiggled closer to him. “That’s fine. I love you so much I’ll brave it.”

“Uh huh.” Jinki opened his journal again and continue to write his entry. “And are you prepared for the wrath when this baby is born and we aren’t mated?”

He took a moment to adjust himself further, trying to get his position just right. Once he was where he wanted he hummed and asked, “What do you mean?”

Jinki paused, putting his pen down and looking over his shoulder. “Your father is an Elder for Moon sakes. Your pack cares deeply for how children are conceived. The fact you helped me through my heat before we were mated, the fact the broke, the fact we’d risk it at all… all of it. Keeping the baby. It all goes against your pack’s central doctrine. According to your parents I should have never laid with you before I had a mark upon my neck from you and the paperwork.”

Kibum nuzzles into his neck, arm moving over his waist so his palm is flat on the little bump of a tummy he has. “That was written hundreds of years ago. Times change.”

“They made us sleep in separate rooms across the house from each other. I’m literally in an entirely different wing of their home than you.” Jinki deadpan comments. “They think we still live separately back home.”  

“Point taken.” Kibum sighed. “I don’t understand how a damn ceremony and a signature in an ancient book makes what we have any more real. I love you. The last two years and some has been amazing, and although we didn’t plan the babe, I’m happy. I’m so happy. I don’t need an Elder’s stamp and a mark on your neck to know you’re the one for me. That you’re mine.”

“I know that, I do.” Jinki put his journal up on the table and turned to kiss him softly. “I’m happy too Kibummie. How we are is amazing. I don’t want to change just because we have to, but because we think we’re ready for that part of our lives. Do you want to keep the baby a secret?”

“I don’t want to, but I also want to remain happy.” Kibum laughed warmly, pushing some of Jinki’s hair from his face. “I’m over the moon. They’re going to ruin it all. I don’t want to lose this feeling Baby. I just want to feel this warm giddy feeling all over. We’re going to be parents Baby.”

The smile on Jinki’s face was bright and so happy as he cupped Kibum’s jaw. He softened, eyes fond as he gazed over his face. “You’re so beautiful Bummie.”

With a little movement Kibum kissed Jinki’s palm. “One day when we are ready I’m going to make asking you something special.”

“You know I don’t need anything extravagant.”

“But you deserve it.” Kibum sighed happily. “Every time I look at you so much warmth travels over me. I just want to kiss you.”

The corner of his lips quirked up. “Then kiss me.”

“My mother’s right,” At Jinki’s confused face Kibum laughed quietly, brushing their noses together. “You’re a bad influence on me.”

Jinki pressed their lips together softly and grinned. “Guilty as charged.”

——