End

Bad Girl

“I have to what?” Cute, fluffy Wendy said as she pushed her round spectacle up to the bridge of her nose. The girl could felt cold sweats flowing down her face. Whatever the principal said to her just now was a total nightmare to her.

 

He must be joking right? There’s no way Wendy’s gonna talk to the girl she wanted to avoid this whole time, moreover tutor her? Hell no.

 

“C’mon Wendy.” Mr.Jung said with a benevolent tone, trying to persuade the straight-A student to accept his offer. “It’s only for one months. Two hours a day. Plus, you’ll get extra credit for it.”

 

Why does he sound like he’s begging at me? What’s so important about that brat? He could just expel her. Wendy thought bitterly.

 

The brunette heaved a long sigh and massaged her temples before replying half-heartedly, “Fine… Just for one month.”

 

“Great!” Mr.Jung’s mood suddenly turned 180°. What was used to be pale face is now gleaming brightly, smiling from ear to ear. “You can start next week. It’s only for one subject Wendy, how bad can it be?”

 

Yeah really. Wendy faked a smile, trying to look polite in front of her principal and internally rolled her eyes. How bad can it be to tutor the one girl that I despise.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Wendy Son and Irene Bae isn’t really compatible with each other. They’re like oil and water, vinegar and milk, Lindsay Lohan and a clean record. The point is, in other words, they don’t mix.

 

Wendy Son is that one kid everyone knows because of her intelligence, her kindness and her bright smile that could blind anyone who is looking even from a hundred meter away. But, not all like her. Some of the students, mostly the wild ones, the ones seen hanging out with Irene would bully her mercilessly, to which Wendy hated the most. That’s why she despises Irene, despite that the girl never bullies her, ever. Seulgi is the one who stood up for her most of the time but the latter has been busy these days, so Wendy would often get bullied, since Seulgi is not there for her, most of the time.

 

Irene Bae is the total opposite of Wendy. Everyone knows her for her bad wild girl image and her ego that is as tall as Everest Mountain. She’s one of the most beautiful girl in their school, attracting every single soul, girls or boys but she always, always rejects them. Her one (and only) ex was a guy from other school. They’ve dated for almost three years and probably last for a long time if the guy hadn’t been caught cheating with another girl. The cheating rumour spread like a wildfire since people couldn’t understand how and why would that guy cheat on Irene, the one girl who everyone dreams to be with. Ever since that incident, Irene just stopped dating. One stare into her eyes could bore through your soul, as if she’s eating you alive.

 

And now, Wendy is stuck with Irene for one month, one month just to tutor her English since Wendy was informed that the latter was failing her English class. She didn’t get it. How could someone fail English and ace her other subjects, even maths? Wendy would never imagine what it’s like to be Irene.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

“So, Irene… tell me which part don’t you understand?” Wendy asked as she just finished reading one of the poem penned by Charles Causley, ‘What Has Happened to Lulu?’ out loud with a perfect pronunciation.

 

They’re currently in an unused classroom, a class which is approved by the principal to be used by them, which Wendy couldn’t understand, again, since they can just study in the library. But, the principal insisted on them using the classroom. Who was Wendy to protest?

 

Looking up from her book, Wendy looked at Irene, who was uninterested in everything that was happening inside the empty classroom. The rebel didn’t even listen to Wendy, instead she was playing her phone, seeing as if she’s texting with her girl friends, probably making fun of someone online.

 

Groaning internally, the brunette sighed loudly, to which the troublemaker found amusing. So Wendy can really be angry huh? Irene thought while looking at Wendy with a smug smile on her face, her phone was still in her right hand.

 

“I’m sorry, the poem was so boring that I have to look at my phone to keep me awake.”

 

“Yeah, ‘look’.” The shorter of the two said sarcastically, making Irene scoffed in annoyance.

 

“Are you mocking me?”

 

“Am I? I was just stating the obvious.” Wendy was getting more irritated and put down her book calmly. She isn’t gonna waste her energy fighting with someone like Irene. “You aren’t gonna pass your class if you’re acting like a brat.”

 

“Me? A brat? Excuse me bu-“

 

“I am just stating the fact, Bae Joohyun.”

 

Irene looked so shocked by the way Wendy replied to her derisively, especially the way Wendy said her full name callously. This is the first time she had been treated that way, since she was usually treated like a queen. Realizing that she lost the argument, the jet-black haired girl can’t do anything but give up to the girl in front of her.

 

Clicking her tongue, Irene put her phone down, rolling her eyes before looking at Wendy straight in the eye.

 

“So tell me, what don’t you understand about this poem?”

 

“Everything.” Irene said apathetically.

 

Wendy sighed loudly and pinch the bridge of her nose. There’s no way this is gonna work. How could someone be this hopeless?

 

She has to find another method to teach Irene.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

“So Irene, do you like mystery stories?” Wendy asked Irene, who has a ‘slightly’ better attitude compared to the first time they met. This is the fifth day of Wendy’s tutoring and she has never felt like dying that time. Irene is hopeless, Wendy thought. But at least she’s showing a significant improvement on her English class, that’s all that Wendy cared about.

 

“Umm… kinda…? Why’d you ask Wendy?” Irene looked at Wendy curiously. Aren’t they supposed to be studying right now?

 

“Perfect.” Wendy smiled brightly.

 

“… Is there anything that I have to know here?” The troublemaker raised her eyebrows, feeling sceptical of Wendy’s attitude.

 

“This poem,” Wendy started talking. “If you understand this poem, it takes an approach that makes the reader, us, work to figure out what has happened.”

 

“So you’re saying that this poem is like a mystery poem?” Irene’s eyes were wide, suddenly interested on what Wendy was trying to tell her.

 

“Exactly. The poem sets on the child’s point of view. We, like the narrator, which is the child, does not understand what was going on. We have more questions than answers. So we have to figure out what actually happened to Lulu.”

 

Wendy has never felt more accomplished than that day, seeing Irene all engrossed in figuring things out in the poem. She has successfully find a method to make the wild girl actually study.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Irene was getting better and better in her class, in English generally. Her grades are improving and she’s taking part in her English class more often, to which people in the class found it amazing how such a hopeless rebel like Irene could slightly change her attitude in class, though she’s still a wild girl, partying every week.

 

But Irene and Wendy’s so called friendship wasn’t all rainbow and sunshine, especially when you’re friends with Irene Bae, the bad, wild girl of their school.

 

It was their 10th meeting when Wendy got into a huge fight with the troublemaker. Wendy was waiting patiently for Irene’s arrival. The latter was half an hour late but Wendy didn’t mind waiting, since Irene is always late but not this late.

 

The brunette waited and waited, seconds turns to minutes and minutes turns to hours. Wendy waited for three hours but Irene doesn’t even come. She decided to take her phone out of her bag, maybe Irene send her a text or two.

 

Nothing.

 

The girl sighed, feeling worried that maybe Irene got into an accident for something.

 

Gosh Wendy! Stop thinking like that! She thought as she slapped her face, trying to stop all those negative thoughts in her mind.

 

So, Wendy decided to wait another hour.

 

Irene didn’t come that day.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Wendy was fidgeting, she didn’t even receive any calls or messages from Irene yesterday. All her calls and texts were left unpicked and unread, worrying the poor girl more.

 

She was waiting impatiently in the empty classroom, silently praying that the troublemaker was alright.

 

Fortunately, Irene is alright.

 

Wendy could hear the door opened and she quickly snapped her head towards the door, she swore that she could get whiplash on how hard she snapped her head.

 

It was Irene, much to Wendy’s delight, walking towards her as if nothing had happened yesterday.

 

“Where were you yesterday?” Wendy immediately asked as soon as the older sat on her chair in front of the brunette.

 

“Yesterday…” Irene feigned innocence and snapped her fingers, smiling happily at Wendy. “I was at a party yesterday.”

 

“A what??” Wendy asked, aghast.

 

“I thought I told you?” The troublemaker said, not even feeling a little bit guilty.

 

“No you didn’t!”

 

“Ah, I must’ve forgotten to send you a text then. I’m sorry, Wendy.” Irene said nonchalantly and opened her note book, being ignorant towards Wendy who was fuming.

 

“Irene!” Wendy clamoured, she had never shouted that loud before and it made Irene a little bit shocked at her. “You…” She massaged her temples before continuing, glaring at the jet-black haired girl. “You just wasted four hours of my time yesterday!”

 

“Wendy, chill. I said I’m sorry okay?”

 

“Listen, time may not seem that important to you but it is to me okay?” Wendy said calmly but at the same time she was having a world war III inside her mind. “You can’t just ditch this goddamn tutoring lesson without telling me few hours earlier. While you mingle with boys in the party I am here worrying about your safety! And now you come telling me that you’ve been to that stupid party just makes me an idiot for waiting you for four hours!” Wendy said, raising her voice every seconds that passed.

 

And what Wendy said next made Irene’s face pale in fright and guilt. She has never felt this way before, ever.

 

“Am I a joke to you Irene?”

 

Irene just looked at Wendy in silence, doesn’t know how or what to respond to the fuming girl in front of her.

 

“I’ve sacrificed my time just to make your lousy pass the goddamn English class. And this is how you act towards me? You may think that I am like those other students who blindly like you for no reason but I am not, I am not like them!” The enraged brunette said before standing up from her chair, walking towards the door.

 

Before she exited, Wendy glared at Irene who was keeping quiet all this time.

 

“I hate girls like you.” Wendy said in a demeaning tone and barged out of the classroom.

 

Irene felt a flicker of guilt in her heart. She had never felt guilty before.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Wendy was so frustrated that she didn’t attend the tutoring session for five days. Irene on the other hand, was spamming her mentor apology texts but the latter just ignored those messages and every time she met Irene in the school compound, Wendy would turn her back and walk the opposite way, just to avoid the latter.

 

But she can never avoid Irene forever.

 

It was one of those usual days where the straight-A student would get bullied in the secluded area of the school. Wendy was walking home that day when suddenly she felt someone dragged her into a secluded area before pushing her onto the ground, making her stuffs scattered all around the ground. The bully laughed and squatted towards Wendy’s level.

 

“How’s my favourite student doing?” The boy said and pushed Wendy’s head with his index finger. “I told you to finish my homework but you didn’t even touch it. Haven’t I give you much lesson already? Do you want another ‘accident’ to happen to you?” He asked menacingly, with a smug smile on his face.

 

“I-I was busy these few days.” Wendy reasoned out, she was so close to crying but the girl would never cry in public, especially not in front of an ignorant fool.

 

“You know how much I hate a liar!” The guy shouted and slapped her on the cheek hardly, making Wendy cut the corner of her lips due to the boy’s spiky rings on his fingers.

 

“I-I’m sorry, I’ll do it later, I-I promise.”

 

“It’s no use. It was due few hours ago.” The bully clicked his tongue and curled his hand into a fist. “You wouldn’t mind few more bruises on your face, don’t you?” He said in a mocking tone before raising his hands, preparing to punch the poor girl. Wendy just closed her eyes, preparing whatever was gonna happen to her.

 

But before he could do that, someone had kicked him to the ground hardly. He winched in pain and hold onto his hip, where Irene had kicked him.

 

“ off before I kill you right here and then.” Irene said in a serious tone, anger was written all over her face.

 

“I-Irene…” The boy squeaked, suddenly his ego diminished in thin air.

 

Glaring at the boy, Irene hold onto his collar and forcefully make him stand up.

 

“Touch her again and I won’t hesitate to snap your neck.” The girl said, full in incense. She pushed the boy away to which the latter quickly fled away from that place, while saying something in the line of ‘I won’t disturb her again!’.

 

Watching the boy running away, the jet-black haired girl quickly squatted beside Wendy, her face is now full of worry.

 

“Wendy, are you okay?” Irene frowned and take a look at the latter’s face. “Wendy you’re bleeding.” The girl said and fisted her hand. Stupid .

 

Wendy, who was still in pain, just kept quiet.

 

“Come, let’s treat your wound.” Irene sighed before lifting Wendy up, not forgetting to pick up the brunette’s stuffs up.

 

---

 

“Why won’t you defend yourself?” Irene asked and clicked her tongue as she was applying alcohol to Wendy’s bleeding lips to disinfect the germs.

 

Again, Wendy just kept quiet and looked at the floor instead. They’re currently at Irene’s house, inside her room. Rolling her eyes internally, Irene kept dabbing on Wendy’s bleeding lips while cupping her cheeks softly using her other hand.

 

“Ouch.” Wendy winched in pain as Irene accidentally dabbed too hard on her lip.

 

“Oh , I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s okay.”

 

And they kept quiet again. After a few minutes, Irene had finally finished treating Wendy’s wound and was currently cleaning the first aid kit.

 

“Irene…” Wendy broke the silence.

 

“Hmm?” The latter hummed.

 

“I’m sorry, for my childish behaviour towards you.” Wendy looked at Irene in the eyes, felt guilty at herself.

 

“It’s okay Wendy. It’s my fault anyway.” The older of the two just smiled warmly and patted Wendy on the head softly. “You just save your energy; you must be tired. Just sleep here for tonight.”

 

“T-Thank you.”

 

“No problem.” The troublemaker smiled sincerely at Wendy.

 

The brunette felt her heart tug at Irene’s actions.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

“Wendy.” Irene said, making Wendy stopped whatever she was doing. Today was their 23rd meeting. Wendy looked at Irene with her huge eyes, to which the latter secretly found cute. “I don’t think I can attend out tutoring session tomorrow.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I have to go somewhere…”

 

“By somewhere you mean partying, again.”

 

“It’s not a party Wendy. I have to go somewhere urgent.”

 

“A-huh, I ain’t gonna fall for your trick again. Just tell me you’re gonna go to a party, we can postpone our session some other day.”

 

Irene clicked her tongue, feeling annoyed since she indeed wasn’t going to a party.

 

“I said it wasn’t a party.” Irene rolled her eyes.

 

“Fine fine. I was just pulling your leg.” Wendy giggled and looked at Irene with a cute smile, Irene just smiled back but Wendy knew there’s something wrong behind the latter’s smile. “What’s up?”

 

“Just… some family stuffs going on tomorrow.” Irene continued smiling, a smile Wendy knew meant something else.

 

“Alright, whatever for you princess~”

 

“Can you hug me, Wendy?”

 

“Umm, sure…? Why though?”

 

“I… just need a hug right now.” Irene said, looking so sad and hurt, but she masked it with a poker face. Too bad Wendy knew how hurt Irene felt that time.

 

Without saying a word, Wendy stood up and walked beside Irene, who was already standing. The brunette pulled the latter in a warm hug, wrapping her hands around Irene’s waist. Irene just buried her face in Wendy’s neck, not saying a word.

 

“Whatever you’re going through, I’m here for you Irene, always.”

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Irene didn’t go to school the next day, which was very peculiar since the girl was strict about her attendance to school.

 

Her absence made Wendy worried since she thought the latter would only be busy on their tutoring session.

 

“Hey Wan.” Seulgi said, snapping Wendy out of her train of thought.

 

“Hey Seul…” Wendy sighed, an image of someone’s hurtful look still lingers inside her mind.

 

“You did comfort Irene yesterday, right?” Seulgi asked while patting Wendy on her back softly, feeling sympathetic at Wendy for the exact opposite reason.

 

“She asked for a hug yesterday, so I just hugged her without knowing the reason. But she seemed so sad yesterday…” Wendy said, her mind is now racing on every possible reason she could think about the girl’s sadness yesterday.

 

“You didn’t know? I thought you’d be the one she told first since you’re with her every day.”

 

“Seul, just tell me please.” Wendy pleaded.

 

“Irene’s father… He passed away two days ago. It was a drunk hit and run. The funeral for her father is in a few more hours. I can’t believe she didn’t tell you.”

 

Oh no…

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Wendy quickly barged out of the class, skipping school as soon as Seulgi told her what was the real reason Irene was busy that day. Seulgi was confused for a bit on why Wendy suddenly barged out of the classroom, but realization hit her few seconds later. She decided to just let go of Wendy, since she know what’s best for her bestfriend.

 

How could I be so foolish? The brunette internally said over and over again as she drove as fast as she can to the church Seulgi had told her.

 

Fortunately, Wendy arrived in a nick of time, she found an empty seat at the corner of the church and as soon as she sat down, the funeral mass has started. The church was almost full since Irene’s father was a well-known man in the city. Wendy kept quiet the whole time, staring at Irene who was weeping non-stop. Seeing the sight of Irene crying, the girl felt like she wanted to stand up and run towards the latter just to hug her, but, Wendy know she can’t do that, at least not while the mass was still going on.

 

Right after the mass has ended, the visitor shook hand with Irene and her family, but Wendy kept sitting on her seat, wanting to be the last one to do so.

 

After a few minutes, the people inside the church has dissipated and the brunette inhaled a deep breath before standing up, walking towards Irene, who was standing alone in front of her father’s coffin.

 

Walking slowly, Wendy tremble slightly every step she took. How would Irene react? What if Irene burst into tears as soon as she saw Wendy? Wendy couldn’t bear to look at Irene, the tough, bad girl of their school crying in front of her.

Without noticing, Wendy had already arrived behind Irene, who was looking at the coffin soullessly. The latter haven’t noticed Wendy’s presence yet so the short girl tapped Irene on the shoulder.

 

Irene turned her body as soon as she felt Wendy’s tap and her puffy red eyes were wide open when she saw Wendy standing in front of her.

 

“W-Wendy…”

 

Without saying a word, Wendy pulled Irene into a tight hug, making the latter immediately burst into tears. “I-I’m sorry for not realizing Irene. It was so stupid of me.”

 

Irene cried more and hugged Wendy back tightly, burying her face into the latter’s neck. “I-I’m glad that you’re here.” The jet-black haired girl hugged Wendy as tight as she can, feeling how warm Wendy felt that day.

 

“I told you I’m always here for you.”

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Irene passed her English class with flying colours and she couldn’t thank Wendy enough for her efforts and teaching. They kept meeting even after one month and the two girls are getting closer as time passed.

 

They were currently in a café nearby, spending time with each other like they usually do.

 

“You know Wendy, you aren’t like other people.” Irene said as she stared at Wendy right in the eyes warmly.

 

“Umm… should I feel glad or…” The brunette looked at Irene curiously, right eyebrow raised.

 

“Other people, they treated me like queen, agreeing on everything I said, be there for me in my brightest day but left me alone in my darkest days. But you, you’re so different. The moment you scolded me for being a lazy , I just realized how better you are than them. You made me feel things I’ve never felt before. You never left me alone even in my brightest days and especially in my darkest days. I… I can be myself only when I am with you.” Irene smiled shyly and held Wendy’s hand firmly.

 

“Wendy… I might have fallen for you. So hard.”

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Five months later

 

Irene tsk-ed as she was waiting for Wendy’s presence outside the café that they planned on going the night before. It was 5:10 in the evening, Wendy was 10 minutes late and the black haired girl was getting more and more impatient as second passed. Irene sighed and fished her phone out of her back pocket, decided to text Wendy.

 

Irene: Where are you? 1 more minute before I leave this place.

 

As soon as Irene pressed send, she felt someone running towards her with hasty breaths.

 

“Irene! I’m sorry I’m late. Traffic was bad.”

 

“Tsk. I told you to use the-“ Irene stopped in the middle of her sentence as soon as she raised her head, looking at Wendy’s new appearance. “You dyed your hair, purple.”

 

“Oh, yeah! I dyed it this morning. Since you said everything purple is yours…” The now purple haired girl said while scratching her nape cutely before continuing, “So I just want everyone to know that I’m yours.” She said sheepishly. “Do you like it?” Wendy asked in a hopeful tone. She had been preparing for a long time to dye her hair with this eye catching colour.

 

“No, I don’t like it.” Irene said curtly, eyeing Wendy suspiciously.

 

Wendy pouted, feeling sad at Irene’s abrupt answer.

 

“I love it.” The older of the two said softly, barely hearable if it wasn’t because of Wendy’s good listening ability.

 

Smiling brightly, the purple haired girl looked at Irene, who has softened her expression. The latter looked at her girlfriend while smiling warmly, opening her arms wide, “Hug me, it’s cold.”

 

Without wasting a second, Wendy quickly staggered her way towards Irene and wrapped her hands around Irene’s fit body tightly, burying her face into the latter’s neck, inhaling her girlfriend’s fading lavender perfume.

 

“I’m sorry I’m late, babe.”

 

“Apology accepted.” The bad girl smile smugly and quickly cupped Wendy’s cheeks, planting a chaste kiss on the latter’s lips.

 

“Uurgh, babe stop. People are starting to look at us weirdly.”

 

“It’s okay, let them know that you belong with me and me only.” Irene wrapped her hands around Wendy’s neck, pulling her closer and closer every second that passed.

 

Both of them kept looking at each other’s eyes, smiling warmly to each other. They felt as if they’re the only one there, time passing by slowly and all the pedestrians, including those who was gawking at them just vanished from their sight.

 

“I love you, Wendy.”

 

“I love you too Irene, so much.”

 

Irene leaned forward, planting a long, sweet kiss to her girlfriend, who was smiling during the kiss. Wendy pulled Irene closer to her, deepening the kiss. After few seconds of making out and doing their PDAs, the both of them broke this kiss due to insufficient air.

 

“I can’t believe I fall for girls like you.” Wendy said jokingly.

 

“I can’t believe you survived being with me for five months.” Irene joked and pinch the latter’s cheeks softly.

 

Okay, maybe Wendy didn’t really hate girls like Irene. Scratch that. Wendy love girls like Irene. They may be like oil and water but Wendy didn’t mind, she’s just so happy dating Irene and the latter felt the same too.

 

 

 

End. Or is it? >:D

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Special thanks to iamrandom21 for motivating me to finish this one shot. I love you buddy xoxo