Chapter 1

When it's not supposed to...

"You shouldn't fall in love - that was the only rule," Jimin emphasized.


"Don't you think I know that, Jimin-ah," Taehyung replied in frustration.

 

In the company they work for, it was practically the only rule that was strictly enforced. Throughout their five years with the company, they've seen a lot of persons whose careers were ruined because of forming a relationship in the office. It kills the career, ruins the credibility of both parties, and just isn't right.
It was more so supposed to be followed by Taehyung, someone already at the management level. Yet here they were, drinking and talking about this "stupidity" as Taehyung called it.

 

"Why Jungkook, of all people, Tae-tae? Why?" 


"Did you think I got to choose this?! Did you think I wanted to?!" Taehyung said as he continued staring at the calm pond in front of them. It was the only place they could sit and drink, most bars would be too risky as other people from their company could come in any time. And Taehyung did not want anyone seeing him weak.


"I know you didn't choose it... but we have to at least establish what you're feeling... Are you sure you love him?"


"I don't even know... and I don't want to think about it... I'm his boss, Jimin-ah! I'm his boss. He has a girlfriend! Someone he brags about almost everyday! He's in love with someone! I shouldn't even be having this discussion with you! I shouldn't have even thought of him in any way beyond friendship, not even imagined... but here I am..."


"Then you do know what you need to do!" Jimin said. It was the only logical option if Taehyung wants to continue working for the company, and continue having Jungkook in the team.


"Of course I do... but saying that I know it means I acknowledge this stupid thing I'm feeling... I can't even admit that this is a 'feeling'..."


"There hasn't been any special thing between us," Taehyung continued. "He treats me kindly, same as he acts with everyone. He compliments me when I look good, same as with others. He greets me and smiles at me, same as with everyone... he talks to me about life, like he does to you. He takes care of some things for me when I'm too tired to move about..." he said as his eyes began to water.


"There's no reason for me to think I'm falling in love, Jimin-ah... But something tells me I am."


"Tae...," Jimin sighed as he rubbed his friend's back.


"But I don't want to. I shouldn't. He's happy with her. Our team has great teamwork, we all get along! If I acknowledge this feeling, then I ruin it for everyone!" Taehyung cried. "I'm suppossed to be the mature one, I'm suppossed to be the one who knows what's right... I'm suppossed to protect the team... not ruin it."


"Are... but are you sure you love him?"


"I go to the office, he's always the first one I look for. When I go about the day, imagining him would be a given... 'what if he came to my desk and hugged me?', 'what if he sent a chat to me just to check how I am?', 'what if we were a couple who kept sharing weird faces with one another as the day went by?'... I imagine such things, Jimin, things that a high-schooler would roll his eyes at."


"But that doesn't really mean anything... I mean, you do have a wild imagination, as we all know..."


"Yeah... I thought about that... until I... I get jealous. I get jealous everytime he talks about his girlfriend. I feel hurt everytime I see him post about her in social media... to see him share sweet posts... I feel hurt when I think he's there sitting near me in the office but texting her, asking her about her day..."


"I tell myself that his girlfriend might be one of the luckiest girls in the world," Taehyung said softly. "She can enjoy his not-so-funny jokes, his mature side that you sometimes get, his conversations, his company... things I also receive... but as a friend, as a boss."


"Tae, I don't know what to say... I am not entirely convinced you love him... but I cannot say you don't care for him. But he has a girlfriend, Taehyung. You're his boss. On those counts, you're bordering on a huge mistake."


"I know, Jimin-ah... That's why I hate myself. I hate myself for allowing me to feel this way. I hate myself for being too starved for love that I misread all the stupid things he does. I hate myself for forcing to be strong when I'm too weak..."


"I hate myself for hurting myself over something that was suppossed to feel good..." Taehyung cried. "I hate myself for being so stupid!"


"What am I going to do with you, Tae-tae..."


"And yet I can't really do anything but work this out on my own. I'd have to forget this feeling. I'd have to hit my head every time I imagine those fictional moments. I'd slap myself everytime I feel jealous seeing him with his girlfriend. It's something I need to do..."


"No, Tae... maybe you should just admit to him that..."


"No, Jimin... don't say that," Taehyung pleaded as he wiped his tears. "If you bring that situation up, I'd start imagining again... what if there's a chance... I would again think of something happy... something that's not suppossed to happen. Please don't make me hope to be loved by him in return... It's going to hurt a lot..."


"Please, Jimin-ah," he asked. "Please just tell me that what I'll do is right..."


"I can't," the other admitted. "But I can say I'll support you whatever happens... I'll be here again if you need to cry... I can hug you if you want... it's going to be difficult, you're gonna have to hurt a lot by yourself... but I hope I can ease some of it off..."


"Yes, Jimin-ah... it just... hurts so much right now..." Taehyung said as he let all the tears out.

 


The next day, Taehyung sat at his desk, going about his daily work and reading emails.
"Hey hyung!" Jungkook greeted over the divider of their desks. "Why do you look so down lately? Are you okay?"


"Mmm? Yup, perfectly fine!"


"Eh? You look so down lately that you're making me sad... I know, you know, I've been observing you since this morning."


"I'm fine, Jungkook-ah, thanks for asking."


"If you say so..." the younger one smiled and made face before sitting back down.


"I'm fine," Taehyung repeated as he clenched his fist and closed his eyes. "No, Tae, you're not suppossed to..." he thought as he hated his heart again.

 

 

A/N: Just something quick to read! What do you think?